Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New Podcast: Reading the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ReadingTheRealms
Seeker

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2018 :  19:30:39  Show Profile Send ReadingTheRealms a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading the Realms presents our third Reader's Circle episode of listener responses and feedback for The Avatar Trilogy. This is a book club, so we love to hear our listeners thoughts and opinions on the books as well! This episode also includes a very special guest interview with James Lowder, who talks about his time at TSR and discusses the behind-the-scenes work that went into Shadowdale, Tantras, and Waterdeep. (As I'm sure everyone here already knows) Jim is the nicest guy and he was very generous with his time and stories. This was definitely our favorite episode to record so far.

You can find the podcast on Apple iTunes Podcasts, Google Play Podcasts, and SoundCloud. If you have any feedback, shoot us an email at readingtherealms@gmail.com. We're also on Twitter: @ReadingFR

https://soundcloud.com/user-538023235/readers-circle-3-feat-james-lowder

Thanks for listening and happy reading!

Co-Host of Reading The Realms: A Forgotten Realms Book Club Podcast

Find us on iTunes, Google Play Podcasts, and SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/user-538023235
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Senior Scribe

Canada
860 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2018 :  09:52:04  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just listened to a few of the pods including the Avatar trilogy recap and James Lowder (who seems very nice especially given how you guys rightfully tore the series a new one over the editing/plots). It really was a disaster of a series, written by committee and with the plot and end out come shoe horned in by the edition change. I believe as editor, he should have spent more time talking to Ed about how Ed's characters and gods are motivated and should act. The residents of Shadowdale, in particular, from Storm to Mourngrym to the townsfolk all behaved like a lynch mob over innocent people who tried to save them?

Am I the only one who read Waterdeep (in the original trilogy days) and wondered why the hell Midnight went back for Sneakabout and didn't go back for Kelemvor? Didn't even mention how she had the power to go back and save his soul the same way? Eventually Kelemvor becomes the god of the dead about half a decade in the series later, but that ending when I read it as a teenager made me lol at how terribly it was written and ended.

Glad you guys keep references Azure Bonds as the gold standard for the Realms books (at the early onsent before Elfshadow which was almost as good in my books). Pity about the long hiatus but I am enjoying your pod!

Other minor comments - isn't it funny how we all have head pronounciations of the Realms worlds and when I hear people say some words "wrong" to me on your pod cast it drives me crazy even though your pronounciation is probably just as good as mine. The other is, I take for granted how much Realms knowledge I have and when you guys are podcasting and get the names confused of other lands or rulers/etc; I have to remember how long some of us at the Keep have been reading and studying the sourcebooks (decades) so someone new to the early novels and brought in after 4th edition wouldn't necessarily know so much about the OGB era.
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2018 :  04:49:13  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage  Send Drizztsmanchild a Yahoo! Message Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Just listened to a few of the pods including the Avatar trilogy recap and James Lowder (who seems very nice especially given how you guys rightfully tore the series a new one over the editing/plots). It really was a disaster of a series, written by committee and with the plot and end out come shoe horned in by the edition change. I believe as editor, he should have spent more time talking to Ed about how Ed's characters and gods are motivated and should act. The residents of Shadowdale, in particular, from Storm to Mourngrym to the townsfolk all behaved like a lynch mob over innocent people who tried to save them?

Am I the only one who read Waterdeep (in the original trilogy days) and wondered why the hell Midnight went back for Sneakabout and didn't go back for Kelemvor? Didn't even mention how she had the power to go back and save his soul the same way? Eventually Kelemvor becomes the god of the dead about half a decade in the series later, but that ending when I read it as a teenager made me lol at how terribly it was written and ended.

Glad you guys keep references Azure Bonds as the gold standard for the Realms books (at the early onsent before Elfshadow which was almost as good in my books). Pity about the long hiatus but I am enjoying your pod!

Other minor comments - isn't it funny how we all have head pronounciations of the Realms worlds and when I hear people say some words "wrong" to me on your pod cast it drives me crazy even though your pronounciation is probably just as good as mine. The other is, I take for granted how much Realms knowledge I have and when you guys are podcasting and get the names confused of other lands or rulers/etc; I have to remember how long some of us at the Keep have been reading and studying the sourcebooks (decades) so someone new to the early novels and brought in after 4th edition wouldn't necessarily know so much about the OGB era.

I thought it was because she couldnt find Kelemvor's soul because he was hidden by Mask in Godsbane? I could be mistaken about the part you are referencing,its been a looong time since I read that trilogy.

Edited by - Drizztsmanchild on 04 Sep 2018 04:50:11
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Senior Scribe

Canada
860 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2018 :  13:42:51  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that was the retconned explanation of why she didn't do it at the end of Waterdeep, that trilogy was so bad I had no desire to read the 2 follow up novels at ALL. But in Waterdeep, as originally read, Kelemvor dies in the battle and there is no mention of Midnight going to get him...she only goes back for Sneakabout.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000