Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Undermountain Depths
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2017 :  21:48:00  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So Undermountain's Profile map has bugged me from day one. It is a nice work of art and great at a glance where everything is located. But the scale seems odd.

From "Ruins of Undermountain":

• Yawning Portal to L1 should be roughly 140'.

• "Bottomless pits" throughout undermountain tend to be 90' deep.

• At least one room on L1 is 80' tall.

• Multiple rooms on L2 are 90' tall.

• First three levels of UM are less than a mile deep. (p.7)

• The Crystal Labyrinth has a sea water under it.

From "Expedition to Undermountain":

• The Seadeeps, L6, was deep enough to be below the ocean floor

• The Seadeeps, L6, was close enough to the ocean floor to need pumps

• Belkram's Fall is over 6 miles deep (p.113)

• Balkram's Fall five Rune Ward bracers are space 1 mile apart in Belkram's Fall(p.119)

• The Pit of Ghaunadaur runs from L3 to L7 (as seen is profile map)

From "Waterdeep City of Splendors" 3E:

• The sewers map shows UM to be roughly 8,000 feet west to east and 6,000 feet south to north

Demihuman Deities:
  • Pit of Ghaunadaur is a mile deep

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm mostly curious what the distance from each level is to the surface, say for a dwarfs depth sense.

Would be great if one of our art/map makers would make a more accurate version.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2017 :  22:51:30  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall reading somewhere on these forums that if everything were accurately laid out from Waterdeep's street level down, most of Undermountain would wind up under the port. I'm really not sure where to begin looking for that, but maybe this comment will jog someone who has a better memory.

In short, no, it doesn't all fit perfectly. However, if someone fiddles around and manages to make it work, I'm definitely interested in the discussion.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2017 :  23:33:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So a highly magical region that is KNOWN for all sorts of 'dimensional weirdness' (portals, etc) needs to conform perfectly to RW geometry?

Parts of Undermountain may not even be on Toril.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2017 :  23:53:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would consider the first Ruins of Undermountain boxed set to the the most accurate, and everything else is... negotiable. Particularly Expedition to Undermountain which, within a couple of pages of laying out all the restrictions on magic in Undermountain, has an NPC ignore at least one of those restrictions.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2017 :  23:58:42  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering how many explorers would have entered the dungeon over time, searching for loot, battling creatures from the unknown, and triggering magical mechanisms, it's no surprise that maps are inconsistent over time.

In addition, Halaster's apprentices may have spent a great deal of effort tweaking the dungeon to keep the more dangerous loot out of the wrong hands.

It's alive, I tell you! ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!!!

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Edited by - Storyteller Hero on 04 Oct 2017 23:59:06
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2017 :  05:02:34  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

I seem to recall reading somewhere on these forums that if everything were accurately laid out from Waterdeep's street level down, most of Undermountain would wind up under the port.

This map shows roughly where UM falls under Waterdeep.
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So a highly magical region that is KNOWN for all sorts of 'dimensional weirdness' (portals, etc) needs to conform perfectly to RW geometry?

Parts of Undermountain may not even be on Toril.

I know, I know, magic. Still there is a lot of evidence that much of it physically does exist under Waterdeep. The original dwarven mines that it was based on were exanpsive enough the elves above created a mythal as a precaution to prevent the plateau from collapsing.

I agree the original Ruins box set is probably the definitive source and it does state that it is constantly changing.

I'm sure a lot of the issues can be reconsiled, if one just ignores the squares on the Profile Map and just consider it a rough sketch of the layout. My biggest hang-up is Balkram's Fall and the Pit of Ghaunadaur. Is it stated anywhere that the pit touches any level other than 3 & 7? I remember it mentioning it opens to the plane of ooze, maybe the portal explains the large difference in measurement. Maybe what level links to what part of the Underdark might help?

Would love to hear more if people have any ideas. Maybe I'll try my hand at a map sometime.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2017 :  21:23:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, a level/location can go 'through' another level, without actually connecting to it.

Suppose you have one of those 'rooms' with a 100'+ ceiling - somewhere around 50-60' up there could be another level all around it, with no opening to it, that is just a dozen or so feet of stone away. The place is made to be confusing, and some areas slope, others have steps - 'levels' are not, themselves, necessarily 'level' - they could intertwine with another level that goes above and then below it, and no-one would be able to tell... thats why the place is such a b**ch to map.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Oct 2017 21:25:05
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2017 :  22:27:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Three dimensional mapping is indeed harder. Well Buildings above flat ground not that hard. When you dig into the ground it gets much more harder.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2017 :  03:59:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like how that map has them all neatly stacked, myself... Me, I'd say that the first three levels are more or less neatly stacked, but the rest would be more or less scattered, with little to no overlap.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2017 :  07:44:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I expect all manner of extradimensional manipulation and illusory deception at work. Visitors to the Underdark have their perceptions altered while the Underdark itself changes or reconfigures continuously.

Two-dimensional maps of the Underdark merely indicate the two-dimensional limits of the paper surfaces on which they are described (and perhaps also the creative limitations of the describers). A three-dimensional model would be better but would require complex representations which few game designers (and fewer PC adventurers) have the skill to readily produce.

Maps of the first few levels, closest to the surface, are likely fairly accurate. And surely no cartographer would ever proclaim his maps (which he observed and navigated firsthand) are flawed. I've seen plenty of dungeon crawls (TRPG and CRPG) which exploit confusion caused by tricks like illusionary terrain, false walls and passage, misleading features, duplicated landmarks, and (constant, intermittent, or programmed) teleport zones - and these tricks become potent when forcing explorers to "rush" without being able to carefully observe details or navigate their surroundings. A little smoke and mirrors can go a long way when a pack of illithids is on your trail.

Halaster is/was powerful, brilliant, and insane. Mapping his labyrinth only appears straightforward to fools, the apparent simplicity of early regions is itself a subtle trap.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2017 :  12:27:27  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Wooly: I think the map is just a representation and not meant to be an accurate portrayal. It just gives you a sense of how things connect for the sake of reference. I think MT is right...the actual positioning of levels likely overlap.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2017 :  12:53:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Theres a name ive not seen in a while. Welcome back arcanamach

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2017 :  14:11:44  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey there Dazzler. Yeah the new job is time consuming but I still lurk here and there.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2017 :  10:00:25  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder at which level I could insert a small cyclops tribe in Undermountain….
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2017 :  14:18:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

I wonder at which level I could insert a small cyclops tribe in Undermountain….

Pretty much anywhere, as long as they have sufficient room and resources.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2017 :  15:49:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just don't put them near beholders...

They may not see eye to eye.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2017 :  16:13:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2017 :  22:04:45  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eye see what you did there.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page