Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Chosen of Mystra - 5e - Main ability you'd give?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2017 :  13:23:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was just thinking about how the Chosen were described in Seven Sisters and how the rules of magic have changed since 2nd edition. I know that that concept will make some of you want to scream about the Mary Sue's of the world, but my personal feel is that they have their place. Anyway, it made me ask myself a question, and I thought for grins I'd throw it out here.

What would you give to Chosen of Mystra as a major special ability?

I'm pretty certain that the first thing that comes to mind for folks is silver fire. While I would give them this... the first thing that came to my mind is the ability to concentrate on more than one spell... or rather a bonus number of spells they can concentrate on (say a bonus of two, for a total of 3). Now in my red book of spell strategy, I've written up some other ways to do this, and perhaps some chosen take advantage of this and can concentrate on 4,5, even 6 effects at once. Given that nearly every buff spell and a lot of summoning effects now require concentration that were "fire and forget" in previous editions, it becomes a decent change to make chosen appear to be more like what they're described as or how we picture them.

So, I ask again, what would you do?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2017 :  22:42:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

thought they were immune to 7 spells of their choice back then. 7 stars and all that.

her symbol is what now an 8 pointed star on a book( ironically the 8 pointed star was the pre-tot symbol too....)

so make that immune to 8 spells of their choice

Where'd this come from??

I see this in the SCAG.... which I'm surprised to see the nine stars entry since it was seven stars in 2nd/3rd edition...

Circle of seven stars, nine stars encircling a flowing red mist, or a single star

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  11:59:56  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the steelfire dragon. The immunities for each level of spells is iconic, and so is their thoughness. Giving them epic boons that resemble such abilities is an relatively easy way to build a Chosen.

I'm reluctant to give the Chosen the ability to concentrate on more than two concentration spells; seems too powerful and not really necessary. They can cast the few fire and forget buffs in combination with two concentration spells (that both fail if the concentration is broken) and achieve the layered magical defenses they are known to be able to cast. So for example say the Symbol casts mirror image and see invisibility as fire and forget, while she concentrates on greater invisisbility and globe of invulnerability. That sounds about the right amount of spell mastery for a typical spellduel, nay?

Otherwise introduce the synostodweomer and matrix spells the Symbol designed, making possible the casting of multiple 8th level or lower spells into a single spellslot with a combined spell level of up to 6 (dweomer) or 10 (matrix). So now Simbul can be ready for combat in two actions of casting.

Silverfire would be rather easy to convert indeed:
Once per short rest, a Chosen can unleash a 100ft long line burst of the Silverfire within them as a 5ft wide beam of spellfire-like ravening white flame as a spellcasting action. Its length is under the precise mental control of the Chosen manifesting it. This gout of Silverfire can pierce all known materials and magical barriers. Silverfire also ignores spell resistance and damage reduction. Its touch deals 4d12 points of damage, with no saving throw, to all beings struck by it, and it forces all items to save vs. magical fire or be destroyed.
It should also be noted that the Chosen can also select a different action—dissipating the beam of Silverfire into a cloud, so that it fills a cone shaped area 5 feet wide at the base, up to 70 feet long and up to 70 feet across the furthermost extent. In this form, the Silverfire does no damage, but instead, banishes dead magic areas forever, invisibly and instantly restoring such volumes of space to normal in respect to magic. Mystra frowns upon this use of the Silverfire—it is for dire emergencies only.
Once per long rest the silverfire can purge all magical and psionic enchantments and complusions on the Chosens mind. This action requires no verbal, somatic or material components.
Once per long rest a chosen can choose to teleport without error to a square where he has used the silverfire ability. This action requires a verbal component.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  12:14:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

my bad. it is actually 1 immunity to 1 spell of each level of their choice.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystra original mystra

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystryl

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystra_(Midnight)

you must remember that there have in fact been 3 deities of the weave, and taht the changes were from mystryl's 4 pointed star to her chosen who became Mystra's 8 pointed star to Midnight's holy symbol to know whole mystra and the 8 pointed star( on a tome).

3e chosen of mystra:
spell immunity: immune to 1 spell of choice of each level, so immune to 9 spells total.
immunities: imunne to aging, disease and poison. no need to sleep though they do need to rest for spells and such.

detec magic: line of sight
silver fire:
bonus 10 to consitution

I do not know what it was in 2e and previous 1e . but Id usethe same for 5e

None of those showed an 8 pointed star on a book though. There was the 4 pointed star of Mystryl, the 8 pointed star of Mystra, and the seven 8-pointed stars surrounding the flowing red mist.

Now, after looking at the SCAG, I'm noticing the new Mystra has the symbol of "nine stars encircling a flowing red mist" instead of seven stars doing the same. Why the increase from seven stars to nine? I would almost try to equate it to the seven sisters dying but Sylune, Quilue, the Simbul, and isn't Dove dead too? I think its just Laeral, Storm, and Alustriel left

Hmmm, unless the "seven" previously were related to the seven sisters, and now the "nine" is related to some new generation that's just been birthed? Or maybe she has nine "gods of magic" serving her now (which just to throw some possibilities Azuth, Savras, Leira, Velsharoon, Auppenser, Deneir, Karsus, Kereska the wonderbringer, and my personal twist as a goddess of spell tactics, the Red Knight)

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 22 Sep 2017 14:03:58
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  16:01:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first ability I'd give any of Mystra's Chosen is to be able to throw her a funeral.

"We no longer call ourselves 'Chosen'. We prefer to be known as members of the 'Mystra of the Week' club".

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Sep 2017 16:03:54
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  21:22:36  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I was just thinking about how the Chosen were described in Seven Sisters and how the rules of magic have changed since 2nd edition. I know that that concept will make some of you want to scream about the Mary Sue's of the world, but my personal feel is that they have their place. Anyway, it made me ask myself a question, and I thought for grins I'd throw it out here.

I'm pretty certain that the first thing that comes to mind for folks is silver fire. While I would give them this... the first thing that came to my mind is the ability to concentrate on more than one spell... or rather a bonus number of spells they can concentrate on (say a bonus of two, for a total of 3). Now in my red book of spell strategy, I've written up some other ways to do this, and perhaps some chosen take advantage of this and can concentrate on 4,5, even 6 effects at once. Given that nearly every buff spell and a lot of summoning effects now require concentration that were "fire and forget" in previous editions, it becomes a decent change to make chosen appear to be more like what they're described as or how we picture them.

I agree with you about the Silver Fire. The ability to concentrate on multiple spells is pretty huge as far as abilities go. One of the main limiting features of 5e and the balance of magic is that concentrating on multiple spells is near impossible, so giving the Chosen this feature does paint a more Magically inclined person.
Spell immunity is certainly another prominent feature that Chosen get, along with being able to hear the end of a sentence when their name is called on the Prime Material Plane.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  22:30:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mystra's priests could cast spells unimpeded by dead-magic or wild-magic effects. I'd expect her Chosen would share this advantage, although it was never explicitly stated.

Mystra (or rather, her henchman Azuth) would inflict her threefold curse upon spellcasters who attempted fraud/forgery of unique magical signatures belonging to other spellcasters. Even a simple wizard mark was actively protected by Mystra. But it seems Realmslore abandoned this detail.

Mystryl was quixotic and mercurial (CN), Mystra was structured and balanced (LN), Mystra/Midnight was idealistic and meddling (NG), resurrected Mystra/Midnight was more distant and matronly (LN).
It's worth noting that Midnight was the last of Mystra's Chosen, she promoted no more after her ascension, and while all the Chosen must respect and love their goddess they are all still selected and shaped to serve as instruments of their 1E-era (LN) Mystra - who happens to be, in my opinion, the goddess of magic with the "best" focus and temperament for governing her portfolio, the least distracted by things which don't properly concern her portfolio. I wonder what sorts of opinions the Chosen themselves might have, collectively or individually, and how these might manifest or (re)define their Mystra-granted powers.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 22 Sep 2017 22:35:01
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  22:30:52  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now, after looking at the SCAG, I'm noticing the new Mystra has the symbol of "nine stars encircling a flowing red mist" instead of seven stars doing the same. Why the increase from seven stars to nine? I would almost try to equate it to the seven sisters dying but Sylune, Quilue, the Simbul, and isn't Dove dead too? I think its just Laeral, Storm, and Alustriel left

It depends on what you mean for "death". The Seven don't truly die when their bodies do, they become Weave-ghosts. Alassra directly joined with Mystra, but the rest are Weave-ghosts, waiting for Mystra to craft a new body for them. They can still do a lot of what they could do as physical creatures, although the way the use the Weave is different. I need to check, but IIRC they can't use magic in the for of spells, they directly shape the Weave.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  22:42:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps priests prefer the seven-pointed star to symbolize their seven divine spell levels, while wizards prefer the nine-pointed star to symbolize their nine arcane spell levels? The two symbols could be used concurrently, almost interchangeably, with the distinction clarifying or emphasizing the difference between between Mystra's divine and arcane spells/magics?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 22 Sep 2017 22:49:54
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  22:47:56  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Symbul is alive, tho. She was just "dead".

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  23:14:07  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Where is this said? Yes, I knew that she was alive, in a sense, since she became a being of Silver Fire and then joined with Mystra, but I didn't know that she too was a Weave-ghost. Or is she fully back somewhere?

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  00:07:23  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Perhaps priests prefer the seven-pointed star to symbolize their seven divine spell levels, while wizards prefer the nine-pointed star to symbolize their nine arcane spell levels? The two symbols could be used concurrently, almost interchangeably, with the distinction clarifying or emphasizing the difference between between Mystra's divine and arcane spells/magics?

Cleric and Wizard spells both go to Ninth level though.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  00:18:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

I agree with you about the Silver Fire. The ability to concentrate on multiple spells is pretty huge as far as abilities go. One of the main limiting features of 5e and the balance of magic is that concentrating on multiple spells is near impossible, so giving the Chosen this feature does paint a more Magically inclined person.
Spell immunity is certainly another prominent feature that Chosen get, along with being able to hear the end of a sentence when their name is called on the Prime Material Plane.

On Spell immunity, yes, this is a good one, though I'd stress that the definition of spell immunity needs to be very much spelled out in this version of D&D (previous versions left it very vague). For instance, can I and thus any spell on my person be "immune" to the spell anti-magic field or dispel magic... and before someone says "of course not", please remember that there have been abilities to cast spells in "magic dead areas".

Also agreed, I very much feel that the concentration limit is good AND its bad. Its good that it puts constraints on the average caster so they don't become buff machines. Its bad that it gives no option to every become that buff machine, so it limits play styles. That's why I created some options for getting more concentration "slots", but they also have a real cost to them such that only some people will have them and they won't have something else as a result.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  00:20:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That doesn't work for 5e, and this is something that just came out n 5e as far as I can tell. All the main caster types have up to 9 levels of spells.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  00:26:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

umm my copy of the scag shows a book with an 8 pointed star on it. pg 35.

it could have been changed between prints and regions though.

http://shaneplays.com/wp-content/gallery/dd-5th-edition-sword-coast-adventurers-guide/DD_Sword_Coast_Adventurers_Guide_deity_symbols.jpg

AHHHHH, I gotcha now. Given how they're showing all those symbols (some are on flags, etc...), I would take that picture to mean that there was a book.... and that book has Mystra's 8 pointed star holy symbol on it. The book itself isn't part of the holy symbol, its just the medium that the holy symbol was put on.... by that I mean if someone were to make a holy symbol of mystra to put on a neck chain it wouldn't be the star with a book... it would just be a star.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  00:59:25  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

Where is this said? Yes, I knew that she was alive, in a sense, since she became a being of Silver Fire and then joined with Mystra, but I didn't know that she too was a Weave-ghost. Or is she fully back somewhere?

My bad here. I did forgot that she was perma-killed in the Elminster Enraged novel.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  01:05:04  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

My bad here. I did forgot that she was perma-killed in the Elminster Enraged novel.

No, not perma-killed, since Ed has said that her story is not over (although Idk how far this will go w/o novels, sadly). However, she surely met a different fate than the other 6 sisters. She essentially became one with Mystra, so she could live as a self-conscious avatar of the Lady of Mysteries, I guess.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  12:30:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

speaking of Mystra, who do you think her replacement will be?

Elminster did tell Laeral and alustrial that one of the 7 were going to replace her

??? When was that said?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  13:17:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The number and arrangement of stars could itself be (or at least represent) a magical symbol, something like a hermatic enneagram/nonagram or an occult emblem for the "Order of the Nine Angles" (although, of course, Mystra's nine stars would have their own Realms-specific meaning).

Older (2E-era) Mystra symbols with eight stars probably represented the eight "traditional" dweomers/schools/specializations of magic. Especially since they are arranged in the same cardinal manner as the "oppositional school" diagrams in the rulebooks.

The ninth star could represent wild magic. Or psionics.
It might even be one of Mystra's higher "mysteries", lol, with a purpose only meant to be understood by the most magically enlightened souls.

The different symbols could be like variations of holy symbols on our world. To indicate a particular church or subset of churches, something as trivial as the quirky typeface or style used by the scribes in one monastery to a splinter faith or a cult or a minor denomination or a major schism in the faith. Christianity provides many examples of such variations, as do the other major religions. It's what happens to any long-lived religion, especially when it becomes steeped in tradition or ceremony, involved with politics (especially secular ones), divided by different interpretations and "editions" of canon; the world (indeed the deity itself) keeps changing, some priests seek to embrace these changes while others seek to preserve the old ways.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  20:54:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The number and arrangement of stars could itself be (or at least represent) a magical symbol, something like a hermatic enneagram/nonagram or an occult emblem for the "Order of the Nine Angles" (although, of course, Mystra's nine stars would have their own Realms-specific meaning).

Older (2E-era) Mystra symbols with eight stars probably represented the eight "traditional" dweomers/schools/specializations of magic. Especially since they are arranged in the same cardinal manner as the "oppositional school" diagrams in the rulebooks.

The ninth star could represent wild magic. Or psionics.
It might even be one of Mystra's higher "mysteries", lol, with a purpose only meant to be understood by the most magically enlightened souls.

The different symbols could be like variations of holy symbols on our world. To indicate a particular church or subset of churches, something as trivial as the quirky typeface or style used by the scribes in one monastery to a splinter faith or a cult or a minor denomination or a major schism in the faith. Christianity provides many examples of such variations, as do the other major religions. It's what happens to any long-lived religion, especially when it becomes steeped in tradition or ceremony, involved with politics (especially secular ones), divided by different interpretations and "editions" of canon; the world (indeed the deity itself) keeps changing, some priests seek to embrace these changes while others seek to preserve the old ways.

She never had 8 stars. She had 8 pointed stars, but only 7 of them, and now 9.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  22:42:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're right, sleyvas. Eight-pointed stars, not eight stars. They still might represent eight cardinal schools of magic.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  23:40:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're right, sleyvas. Eight-pointed stars, not eight stars. They still might represent eight cardinal schools of magic.

Yep, I agree there. I wonder if the nine stars might not represent the "bear" that held Mystra's essence and then the Simbul? If so, though, that would imply something about the earlier seven stars. Hmmm, might be taking it a bit far.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2017 :  04:38:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could all Chosen could wield silverfire AND spellfire? Or just some (like Elminster)? Never liked that, personally, just automatically adding every "new" kind of magic and every "new" magical advantage to Mystra's Chosen because (duh!) they're magically powerful - and doubly so for Elminster in particular, lol, because (duh!) he's Elminster.

But more seriously, I think there's a lot of individual variance among Mystra's Chosen. As in the powers granted to them follow a template to a lesser degree because each one would receive/possess something unique and distinctive. Larloch and Storm and Elminster may have the usual silverfire and spell immunities and ageless/sleepless vitality but that's about it; each would then have some other powers possessed by no other, call it a "personal" gift from Mystra.

I recall that spellfire could be blocked by a few magics like wall of force and sphere of annihilation types of effects. Yet it could penetrate/ignore almost all other magics, including prismatic barriers. Does silverfire have similar limitations vs specific magics?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2017 :  05:20:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Ed:

quote:
Elminster figured out how to manipulate the Weave to call forth spellfire. Any of the Chosen who became sufficiently attuned to the Weave (by using it for centuries), and took the time to experiment and study, could theoretically duplicate what Elminster did, and end up with spellfire too. Several of them (no, I’m NOT going to reveal which ones) already have. Such Chosen can avoid being blown apart by balancing Weave energies around themselves (and so teleport AND have spellfire). However, it’s important to remember that just because a Chosen of Mystra CAN figure out how to do something, it doesn’t mean they will ever have time or inclination to do so. Most of the Chosen are like very, very busy house painters: they COULD learn to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, but they’re REALLY busy with all of these other projects, over here, that are far more pressing and interesting - - and then this crisis hits, and that one . . . and so the centuries pass . . .

I also seem to recall -- though I don't have a quote handy -- that what Elminster could do and what Shandril could do were very different. I want to say he had the blasty option and not much else, where Shandril had the absorption and healing and all that. El didn't have the natural ability with spellfire that Shandril had, it was an acquired and lesser skill for him.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2017 :  06:00:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shandril developed her spellfire throughout the novels, starting up as a uncontrollable random blaster, ending up mastering the "crown of fire" and more.

Perhaps Elminster's (many) other magical abilities interfere with and impede the process of learning how to master spellfire. A sort of constant "background noise" Shandril never had to overcome.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2017 :  06:01:58  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread made me think of a couple questions I've been wondering about for a while.

First, are there other weave-ghosts than those of the seven sisters who died? Vangerdahast maybe? I feel like I remember reading about some, but I can't recall who they might be.

Second, did we ever learn anything more about "why a bear?" for holding Mystra's rebirth for 5E, at least until the Simbul joined her? I remember speculating with my brother and mom that bears were often shamanistic, which is an early type of magic (maybe the early Netherese had shamans before they interacted with the elves or the sarrukh, and they were bear-spirit shamans?). IDK, just totally guessing on my part. Or is it just one of those great unspoken riddles of the Realms?

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2017 :  06:12:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd thought an answer to the "why a bear?" question had already been determined, as best as possible.

But what BEARing could it have on the powers of Mystra's Chosen?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2017 :  06:19:05  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd thought an answer to the "why a bear?" question had already been determined, as best as possible.

But what BEARing could it have on the powers of Mystra's Chosen?

Hm, I don't know if that answers it or just adds more questions.

But thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that thread.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2017 :  13:28:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

umm.. the scag one has 8 not 9

No, in the SCAG, this is the text for her holy symbol, not the picture

Circle of seven stars, nine stars encircling a flowing red mist, or a single star

Which I'm reading as 3 different possible holy symbols.... and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that all of these stars are the ones with the 8 points and the circle.

Circle of seven stars
nine stars encircling a flowing red mist
a single star

I thought the same way when I first red sfdragon's post, only to realize he was looking at one thing, I was looking at another, and he was talking about the number of points on a single star and I was talking about the number of stars themselves.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2017 :  13:34:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Could all Chosen could wield silverfire AND spellfire? Or just some (like Elminster)? Never liked that, personally, just automatically adding every "new" kind of magic and every "new" magical advantage to Mystra's Chosen because (duh!) they're magically powerful - and doubly so for Elminster in particular, lol, because (duh!) he's Elminster.

But more seriously, I think there's a lot of individual variance among Mystra's Chosen. As in the powers granted to them follow a template to a lesser degree because each one would receive/possess something unique and distinctive. Larloch and Storm and Elminster may have the usual silverfire and spell immunities and ageless/sleepless vitality but that's about it; each would then have some other powers possessed by no other, call it a "personal" gift from Mystra.

I recall that spellfire could be blocked by a few magics like wall of force and sphere of annihilation types of effects. Yet it could penetrate/ignore almost all other magics, including prismatic barriers. Does silverfire have similar limitations vs specific magics?

Yeah, I would like to kind of create a template that works for her chosen and gives them versatility without raw power (guess I should have stated that the point of this thread was somewhat to tone down the chosen). Thus, I'd include silver fire, because its well documented. However, spellfire... no... But, I find the few extra concentration slots to be a source of immense versatility.

Some basic other things I'm thinking we might want to include is the ability to "interpret all forms of magical formulae and encryption, including but not limited to Southern Magic and elven High Magic, even if they don't qualify to duplicate the effects". I don't find that overwhelming.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2017 :  13:39:15  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

speaking of Mystra, who do you think her replacement will be?

Elminster did tell Laeral and alustrial that one of the 7 were going to replace her

According to what Ed said, the new Mystra doesn't seem to be any of the 7. She's a new goddess, but encloses within herself the meories, experiences, and/or consciousness of her previous iterations. In addition to that she also has access to the "Voices in the Weave", who are those among the sisters whose physical form is no more, and many poweful arcanists who are no longer alive.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000