Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Chosen of Mystra - 5e - Main ability you'd give?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7519 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2017 :  13:23:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was just thinking about how the Chosen were described in Seven Sisters and how the rules of magic have changed since 2nd edition. I know that that concept will make some of you want to scream about the Mary Sue's of the world, but my personal feel is that they have their place. Anyway, it made me ask myself a question, and I thought for grins I'd throw it out here.

What would you give to Chosen of Mystra as a major special ability?

I'm pretty certain that the first thing that comes to mind for folks is silver fire. While I would give them this... the first thing that came to my mind is the ability to concentrate on more than one spell... or rather a bonus number of spells they can concentrate on (say a bonus of two, for a total of 3). Now in my red book of spell strategy, I've written up some other ways to do this, and perhaps some chosen take advantage of this and can concentrate on 4,5, even 6 effects at once. Given that nearly every buff spell and a lot of summoning effects now require concentration that were "fire and forget" in previous editions, it becomes a decent change to make chosen appear to be more like what they're described as or how we picture them.

So, I ask again, what would you do?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

sfdragon
Great Reader

2218 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2017 :  04:17:30  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thought they were immune to 7 spells of their choice back then. 7 stars and all that.

her symbol is what now an 8 pointed star on a book( ironically the 8 pointed star was the pre-tot symbol too....)

so make that immune to 8 spells of their choice

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power


My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7519 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2017 :  22:42:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

thought they were immune to 7 spells of their choice back then. 7 stars and all that.

her symbol is what now an 8 pointed star on a book( ironically the 8 pointed star was the pre-tot symbol too....)

so make that immune to 8 spells of their choice




Where'd this come from??

I see this in the SCAG.... which I'm surprised to see the nine stars entry since it was seven stars in 2nd/3rd edition...

Circle of seven stars, nine stars encircling a flowing red mist, or a single star

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2218 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2017 :  23:38:18  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my bad. it is actually 1 immunity to 1 spell of each level of their choice.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystra original mystra

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystryl

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystra_(Midnight)

you must remember that there have in fact been 3 deities of the weave, and taht the changes were from mystryl's 4 pointed star to her chosen who became Mystra's 8 pointed star to Midnight's holy symbol to know whole mystra and the 8 pointed star( on a tome).

3e chosen of mystra:
spell immunity: immune to 1 spell of choice of each level, so immune to 9 spells total.
immunities: imunne to aging, disease and poison. no need to sleep though they do need to rest for spells and such.

detec magic: line of sight
silver fire:
bonus 10 to consitution

I do not know what it was in 2e and previous 1e . but Id usethe same for 5e

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power


My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 21 Sep 2017 23:39:02
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1253 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  11:59:56  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the steelfire dragon. The immunities for each level of spells is iconic, and so is their thoughness. Giving them epic boons that resemble such abilities is an relatively easy way to build a Chosen.

I'm reluctant to give the Chosen the ability to concentrate on more than two concentration spells; seems too powerful and not really necessary. They can cast the few fire and forget buffs in combination with two concentration spells (that both fail if the concentration is broken) and achieve the layered magical defenses they are known to be able to cast. So for example say the Symbol casts mirror image and see invisibility as fire and forget, while she concentrates on greater invisisbility and globe of invulnerability. That sounds about the right amount of spell mastery for a typical spellduel, nay?

Otherwise introduce the synostodweomer and matrix spells the Symbol designed, making possible the casting of multiple 8th level or lower spells into a single spellslot with a combined spell level of up to 6 (dweomer) or 10 (matrix). So now Simbul can be ready for combat in two actions of casting.

Silverfire would be rather easy to convert indeed:
Once per short rest, a Chosen can unleash a 100ft long line burst of the Silverfire within them as a 5ft wide beam of spellfire-like ravening white flame as a spellcasting action. Its length is under the precise mental control of the Chosen manifesting it. This gout of Silverfire can pierce all known materials and magical barriers. Silverfire also ignores spell resistance and damage reduction. Its touch deals 4d12 points of damage, with no saving throw, to all beings struck by it, and it forces all items to save vs. magical fire or be destroyed.
It should also be noted that the Chosen can also select a different action—dissipating the beam of Silverfire into a cloud, so that it fills a cone shaped area 5 feet wide at the base, up to 70 feet long and up to 70 feet across the furthermost extent. In this form, the Silverfire does no damage, but instead, banishes dead magic areas forever, invisibly and instantly restoring such volumes of space to normal in respect to magic. Mystra frowns upon this use of the Silverfire—it is for dire emergencies only.
Once per long rest the silverfire can purge all magical and psionic enchantments and complusions on the Chosens mind. This action requires no verbal, somatic or material components.
Once per long rest a chosen can choose to teleport without error to a square where he has used the silverfire ability. This action requires a verbal component.



My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7519 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  12:14:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

my bad. it is actually 1 immunity to 1 spell of each level of their choice.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystra original mystra

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystryl

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystra_(Midnight)

you must remember that there have in fact been 3 deities of the weave, and taht the changes were from mystryl's 4 pointed star to her chosen who became Mystra's 8 pointed star to Midnight's holy symbol to know whole mystra and the 8 pointed star( on a tome).

3e chosen of mystra:
spell immunity: immune to 1 spell of choice of each level, so immune to 9 spells total.
immunities: imunne to aging, disease and poison. no need to sleep though they do need to rest for spells and such.

detec magic: line of sight
silver fire:
bonus 10 to consitution

I do not know what it was in 2e and previous 1e . but Id usethe same for 5e




None of those showed an 8 pointed star on a book though. There was the 4 pointed star of Mystryl, the 8 pointed star of Mystra, and the seven 8-pointed stars surrounding the flowing red mist.

Now, after looking at the SCAG, I'm noticing the new Mystra has the symbol of "nine stars encircling a flowing red mist" instead of seven stars doing the same. Why the increase from seven stars to nine? I would almost try to equate it to the seven sisters dying but Sylune, Quilue, the Simbul, and isn't Dove dead too? I think its just Laeral, Storm, and Alustriel left

Hmmm, unless the "seven" previously were related to the seven sisters, and now the "nine" is related to some new generation that's just been birthed? Or maybe she has nine "gods of magic" serving her now (which just to throw some possibilities Azuth, Savras, Leira, Velsharoon, Auppenser, Deneir, Karsus, Kereska the wonderbringer, and my personal twist as a goddess of spell tactics, the Red Knight)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 22 Sep 2017 14:03:58
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15675 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  16:01:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first ability I'd give any of Mystra's Chosen is to be able to throw her a funeral.

"We no longer call ourselves 'Chosen'. We prefer to be known as members of the 'Mystra of the Week' club".

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone


Edited by - Markustay on 22 Sep 2017 16:03:54
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3528 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  21:22:36  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I was just thinking about how the Chosen were described in Seven Sisters and how the rules of magic have changed since 2nd edition. I know that that concept will make some of you want to scream about the Mary Sue's of the world, but my personal feel is that they have their place. Anyway, it made me ask myself a question, and I thought for grins I'd throw it out here.

What would you give to Chosen of Mystra as a major special ability?

I'm pretty certain that the first thing that comes to mind for folks is silver fire. While I would give them this... the first thing that came to my mind is the ability to concentrate on more than one spell... or rather a bonus number of spells they can concentrate on (say a bonus of two, for a total of 3). Now in my red book of spell strategy, I've written up some other ways to do this, and perhaps some chosen take advantage of this and can concentrate on 4,5, even 6 effects at once. Given that nearly every buff spell and a lot of summoning effects now require concentration that were "fire and forget" in previous editions, it becomes a decent change to make chosen appear to be more like what they're described as or how we picture them.

So, I ask again, what would you do?



I agree with you about the Silver Fire. The ability to concentrate on multiple spells is pretty huge as far as abilities go. One of the main limiting features of 5e and the balance of magic is that concentrating on multiple spells is near impossible, so giving the Chosen this feature does paint a more Magically inclined person.
Spell immunity is certainly another prominent feature that Chosen get, along with being able to hear the end of a sentence when their name is called on the Prime Material Plane.

4E Realms = Great Taste, Less Filling.

"If WotC were to put out a box of free money, people would still complain how it was folded."
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6697 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  22:30:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mystra's priests could cast spells unimpeded by dead-magic or wild-magic effects. I'd expect her Chosen would share this advantage, although it was never explicitly stated.

Mystra (or rather, her henchman Azuth) would inflict her threefold curse upon spellcasters who attempted fraud/forgery of unique magical signatures belonging to other spellcasters. Even a simple wizard mark was actively protected by Mystra. But it seems Realmslore abandoned this detail.

Mystryl was quixotic and mercurial (CN), Mystra was structured and balanced (LN), Mystra/Midnight was idealistic and meddling (NG), resurrected Mystra/Midnight was more distant and matronly (LN).
It's worth noting that Midnight was the last of Mystra's Chosen, she promoted no more after her ascension, and while all the Chosen must respect and love their goddess they are all still selected and shaped to serve as instruments of their 1E-era (LN) Mystra - who happens to be, in my opinion, the goddess of magic with the "best" focus and temperament for governing her portfolio, the least distracted by things which don't properly concern her portfolio. I wonder what sorts of opinions the Chosen themselves might have, collectively or individually, and how these might manifest or (re)define their Mystra-granted powers.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 22 Sep 2017 22:35:01
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2987 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  22:30:52  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Now, after looking at the SCAG, I'm noticing the new Mystra has the symbol of "nine stars encircling a flowing red mist" instead of seven stars doing the same. Why the increase from seven stars to nine? I would almost try to equate it to the seven sisters dying but Sylune, Quilue, the Simbul, and isn't Dove dead too? I think its just Laeral, Storm, and Alustriel left




It depends on what you mean for "death". The Seven don't truly die when their bodies do, they become Weave-ghosts. Alassra directly joined with Mystra, but the rest are Weave-ghosts, waiting for Mystra to craft a new body for them. They can still do a lot of what they could do as physical creatures, although the way the use the Weave is different. I need to check, but IIRC they can't use magic in the for of spells, they directly shape the Weave.

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6697 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  22:42:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps priests prefer the seven-pointed star to symbolize their seven divine spell levels, while wizards prefer the nine-pointed star to symbolize their nine arcane spell levels? The two symbols could be used concurrently, almost interchangeably, with the distinction clarifying or emphasizing the difference between between Mystra's divine and arcane spells/magics?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 22 Sep 2017 22:49:54
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Master of Realmslore

Colombia
1114 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  22:47:56  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Symbul is alive, tho. She was just "dead".

Long ago, in the distant past, they fell into decay. The philosopher’s path... The river of glory... Even the saints resting in the darkness rise up without response and block the way...
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2218 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  23:09:34  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
umm my copy of the scag shows a book with an 8 pointed star on it. pg 35.

it could have been changed between prints and regions though.


http://shaneplays.com/wp-content/gallery/dd-5th-edition-sword-coast-adventurers-guide/DD_Sword_Coast_Adventurers_Guide_deity_symbols.jpg

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power


My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 22 Sep 2017 23:14:24
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2987 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  23:14:07  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

The Symbul is alive, tho. She was just "dead".



Where is this said? Yes, I knew that she was alive, in a sense, since she became a being of Silver Fire and then joined with Mystra, but I didn't know that she too was a Weave-ghost. Or is she fully back somewhere?

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3528 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  00:07:23  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Perhaps priests prefer the seven-pointed star to symbolize their seven divine spell levels, while wizards prefer the nine-pointed star to symbolize their nine arcane spell levels? The two symbols could be used concurrently, almost interchangeably, with the distinction clarifying or emphasizing the difference between between Mystra's divine and arcane spells/magics?



Cleric and Wizard spells both go to Ninth level though.

4E Realms = Great Taste, Less Filling.

"If WotC were to put out a box of free money, people would still complain how it was folded."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7519 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  00:18:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I was just thinking about how the Chosen were described in Seven Sisters and how the rules of magic have changed since 2nd edition. I know that that concept will make some of you want to scream about the Mary Sue's of the world, but my personal feel is that they have their place. Anyway, it made me ask myself a question, and I thought for grins I'd throw it out here.

What would you give to Chosen of Mystra as a major special ability?

I'm pretty certain that the first thing that comes to mind for folks is silver fire. While I would give them this... the first thing that came to my mind is the ability to concentrate on more than one spell... or rather a bonus number of spells they can concentrate on (say a bonus of two, for a total of 3). Now in my red book of spell strategy, I've written up some other ways to do this, and perhaps some chosen take advantage of this and can concentrate on 4,5, even 6 effects at once. Given that nearly every buff spell and a lot of summoning effects now require concentration that were "fire and forget" in previous editions, it becomes a decent change to make chosen appear to be more like what they're described as or how we picture them.

So, I ask again, what would you do?



I agree with you about the Silver Fire. The ability to concentrate on multiple spells is pretty huge as far as abilities go. One of the main limiting features of 5e and the balance of magic is that concentrating on multiple spells is near impossible, so giving the Chosen this feature does paint a more Magically inclined person.
Spell immunity is certainly another prominent feature that Chosen get, along with being able to hear the end of a sentence when their name is called on the Prime Material Plane.



On Spell immunity, yes, this is a good one, though I'd stress that the definition of spell immunity needs to be very much spelled out in this version of D&D (previous versions left it very vague). For instance, can I and thus any spell on my person be "immune" to the spell anti-magic field or dispel magic... and before someone says "of course not", please remember that there have been abilities to cast spells in "magic dead areas".

Also agreed, I very much feel that the concentration limit is good AND its bad. Its good that it puts constraints on the average caster so they don't become buff machines. Its bad that it gives no option to every become that buff machine, so it limits play styles. That's why I created some options for getting more concentration "slots", but they also have a real cost to them such that only some people will have them and they won't have something else as a result.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7519 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  00:20:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Perhaps priests prefer the seven-pointed star to symbolize their seven divine spell levels, while wizards prefer the nine-pointed star to symbolize their nine arcane spell levels? The two symbols could be used concurrently, almost interchangeably, with the distinction clarifying or emphasizing the difference between between Mystra's divine and arcane spells/magics?



That doesn't work for 5e, and this is something that just came out n 5e as far as I can tell. All the main caster types have up to 9 levels of spells.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7519 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  00:26:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

umm my copy of the scag shows a book with an 8 pointed star on it. pg 35.

it could have been changed between prints and regions though.


http://shaneplays.com/wp-content/gallery/dd-5th-edition-sword-coast-adventurers-guide/DD_Sword_Coast_Adventurers_Guide_deity_symbols.jpg



AHHHHH, I gotcha now. Given how they're showing all those symbols (some are on flags, etc...), I would take that picture to mean that there was a book.... and that book has Mystra's 8 pointed star holy symbol on it. The book itself isn't part of the holy symbol, its just the medium that the holy symbol was put on.... by that I mean if someone were to make a holy symbol of mystra to put on a neck chain it wouldn't be the star with a book... it would just be a star.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Master of Realmslore

Colombia
1114 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  00:59:25  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

The Symbul is alive, tho. She was just "dead".



Where is this said? Yes, I knew that she was alive, in a sense, since she became a being of Silver Fire and then joined with Mystra, but I didn't know that she too was a Weave-ghost. Or is she fully back somewhere?



My bad here. I did forgot that she was perma-killed in the Elminster Enraged novel.

Long ago, in the distant past, they fell into decay. The philosopher’s path... The river of glory... Even the saints resting in the darkness rise up without response and block the way...
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2987 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  01:05:04  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

The Symbul is alive, tho. She was just "dead".



Where is this said? Yes, I knew that she was alive, in a sense, since she became a being of Silver Fire and then joined with Mystra, but I didn't know that she too was a Weave-ghost. Or is she fully back somewhere?



My bad here. I did forgot that she was perma-killed in the Elminster Enraged novel.



No, not perma-killed, since Ed has said that her story is not over (although Idk how far this will go w/o novels, sadly). However, she surely met a different fate than the other 6 sisters. She essentially became one with Mystra, so she could live as a self-conscious avatar of the Lady of Mysteries, I guess.

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2218 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  03:21:21  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
speaking of Mystra, who do you think her replacement will be?

Elminster did tell Laeral and alustrial that one of the 7 were going to replace her

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power


My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7519 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  12:30:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

speaking of Mystra, who do you think her replacement will be?

Elminster did tell Laeral and alustrial that one of the 7 were going to replace her



??? When was that said?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6697 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  13:17:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The number and arrangement of stars could itself be (or at least represent) a magical symbol, something like a hermatic enneagram/nonagram or an occult emblem for the "Order of the Nine Angles" (although, of course, Mystra's nine stars would have their own Realms-specific meaning).

Older (2E-era) Mystra symbols with eight stars probably represented the eight "traditional" dweomers/schools/specializations of magic. Especially since they are arranged in the same cardinal manner as the "oppositional school" diagrams in the rulebooks.

The ninth star could represent wild magic. Or psionics.
It might even be one of Mystra's higher "mysteries", lol, with a purpose only meant to be understood by the most magically enlightened souls.

The different symbols could be like variations of holy symbols on our world. To indicate a particular church or subset of churches, something as trivial as the quirky typeface or style used by the scribes in one monastery to a splinter faith or a cult or a minor denomination or a major schism in the faith. Christianity provides many examples of such variations, as do the other major religions. It's what happens to any long-lived religion, especially when it becomes steeped in tradition or ceremony, involved with politics (especially secular ones), divided by different interpretations and "editions" of canon; the world (indeed the deity itself) keeps changing, some priests seek to embrace these changes while others seek to preserve the old ways.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2218 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  16:10:38  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

speaking of Mystra, who do you think her replacement will be?

Elminster did tell Laeral and alustrial that one of the 7 were going to replace her



??? When was that said?

think it was one of the 2 before deathmask.

think it was the one where larloch got blown up by the shrinshree... I never could spell her name from memory

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power


My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7519 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  20:54:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

The number and arrangement of stars could itself be (or at least represent) a magical symbol, something like a hermatic enneagram/nonagram or an occult emblem for the "Order of the Nine Angles" (although, of course, Mystra's nine stars would have their own Realms-specific meaning).

Older (2E-era) Mystra symbols with eight stars probably represented the eight "traditional" dweomers/schools/specializations of magic. Especially since they are arranged in the same cardinal manner as the "oppositional school" diagrams in the rulebooks.

The ninth star could represent wild magic. Or psionics.
It might even be one of Mystra's higher "mysteries", lol, with a purpose only meant to be understood by the most magically enlightened souls.

The different symbols could be like variations of holy symbols on our world. To indicate a particular church or subset of churches, something as trivial as the quirky typeface or style used by the scribes in one monastery to a splinter faith or a cult or a minor denomination or a major schism in the faith. Christianity provides many examples of such variations, as do the other major religions. It's what happens to any long-lived religion, especially when it becomes steeped in tradition or ceremony, involved with politics (especially secular ones), divided by different interpretations and "editions" of canon; the world (indeed the deity itself) keeps changing, some priests seek to embrace these changes while others seek to preserve the old ways.



She never had 8 stars. She had 8 pointed stars, but only 7 of them, and now 9.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6697 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  22:42:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're right, sleyvas. Eight-pointed stars, not eight stars. They still might represent eight cardinal schools of magic.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000