Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 DM's Guild - Elminster's Guide to Magic
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2017 :  14:36:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you. There is a LOT more to this resource. Honestly, if I weren't spending every spare moment I have working, planning on building a new house, helping my gf raise her daughter, watching too much TV, reading these forums, and spending way too much time dreaming about my plans for the United Tharchs (which daydreaming is too much fun), I'd be all over this product reviewing more. The section on factions is a really good introduction to a lot of power groups that newer people may not be familiar with for FR.

As far as the spell lists go, it lists a lot of old FR favorites that people will recognize. For instance, Amanuensis is a cantrip (which begs, who besides a person making a LOT of copies of things would learn this cantrip.... but then a merchant mage could make decent money making copies of royal decrees, advertisements, or the local news).

BTW, the ring of cantrips and how I was talking about attunement does bring up something. I'd created something similar called a wand of spell knowledge in my complete red book of spell strategy. It allowed someone to expend a charge to add a specific spell known by the wand into ones repertoire for up to a minute (said spell must be on one's class list, and the wands were generally defined to a certain class). Why do I bring this up? My wand CAN'T give you the ability to transfer cantrips. It occurs to me that perhaps there could be a mechanic in which one can pick up a gem or somesuch that allows one to temporarily add a very specific cantrip to one's repertoire for a short term (maybe ten minutes or an hour), but then put in some ruling that one could only use such an item type only a limited number of times a day (for instance, maybe no more than once or twice a day). This would make for a way for a wizard to actually carry dozens of these stones for the rare instances that they need something that they didn't learn how to cast. Then I could make a wand of similar ability which also doesn't require attunement with say 1 charge per day, but maybe its set for multiple cantrips to choose from.

BTW, some of the spells, the names you will be familiar with, but their effects are vastly different, but appropriate to 5e. For instance, Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer doesn't break down spell slots. Rather, it gives you the opportunity to memorize spells from OTHER class lists (either 3 1st 1vl OR 1st and 1 2nd OR 1 3rd lvl). Given that memorization slots are at a premium in 5e versus other editions, this isn't as broken as one would initially think.

And as I'm writing this, I'm passively scrolling through the spell list. I just want to point out some other possible mild "abuses" for imbue undead with spell ability (I don't consider this bad... personally I consider it strategic use of spellcasting). One of the spells is redirect spell. Its a concentration spell. You cast it on an ally, and any spell cast on them affects you. So, you imbue a mouse in your pocket... it casts redirect spell on you.... OR have an actually useful undead guardian (corporeal or non-corporeal) which can absorb some damage... especially if said undead guardian has a lot of potential resistances naturally such that redirected magic is less likely to affect them. Since the undead casts the spell, then the spellcaster can raise their own defenses against other types of attacks. If this undead guardian is unseen, the enemy may not even realize the spells are redirecting if they aren't of the sort that travels from the caster to the target. Obfuscation of defense is often the best method. Again, if imbue undead with spell ability didn't allow concentration spells, then this wouldn't be viable....

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

DreadfulDungeons
Acolyte

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2018 :  13:55:22  Show Profile  Visit DreadfulDungeons's Homepage Send DreadfulDungeons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heya, I've managed to write a review on EGtM. Sorry that it's not that technical

https://dmsguild.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/elminsters-guide-to-magic-review.html
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2018 :  17:45:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I noticed in your blog that you have a link to the Player's Companion as well. I was looking at that, and it also had a hefty price, so I just looked at the table of contents and decided I'd hold off on buying it. However, what was your viewpoint for this product? Obviously you liked it, but what was the draw?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000