Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Anyone remotely artistic interested in drawing?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2017 :  04:46:18  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You know, thats probably why I want to save her so much. Her and Alusair - two incredibly brilliant, strong women who deserved so much better than what male authors did to them.
Mari Agneh's fate surprised me a little, too. Not because a character died, not because a female character died, not even because she died in an inhumanly horrible fashion. But because her death dared to be a surprisingly inconsistent deviation from WotC's usual tip-toe-on-eggshells carefully inoffensive mediocrity and blandness.

I interpret this "cruelty" from the (male) authors as being an opportunistic mechanism to deliberately emphasize the evils of Thay. A tragic story within a story about heroic sacrifice and redemption - or of reckoning and vengeance? - but one painted in grim and gritty tones to fit the treacherously corrupt landscape of Thayan politics. No good deed ever goes unpunished, and in Thay the punishment for challenging a Zulkir - even successfully - always has dire and unpleasant consequences. She had to literally become a monster to defeat a monster. The fact that she was female was only emphasized when victimizing a female underscored the narrative - prior to her death scene she was a decidedly strong, confident, and "masculine" sort of character.

As an aside, I thought Tsagoth was uncharacteristically civilized in his dealings with Mari. Polite, informative, concerned, sympathetic, almost pleasant. True he was caught in a bit of a bind, and he was perhaps unusual among his own kind, but as a blood fiend he would seem more inclined to kill and consume and violate and dominate than to parley as an equal.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 10 Oct 2017 05:06:51
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2017 :  16:55:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
You know, thats probably why I want to save her so much. Her and Alusair - two incredibly brilliant, strong women who deserved so much better than what male authors did to them.
Mari Agneh's fate surprised me a little, too. Not because a character died, not because a female character died, not even because she died in an inhumanly horrible fashion. But because her death dared to be a surprisingly inconsistent deviation from WotC's usual tip-toe-on-eggshells carefully inoffensive mediocrity and blandness.

I interpret this "cruelty" from the (male) authors as being an opportunistic mechanism to deliberately emphasize the evils of Thay. A tragic story within a story about heroic sacrifice and redemption - or of reckoning and vengeance? - but one painted in grim and gritty tones to fit the treacherously corrupt landscape of Thayan politics. No good deed ever goes unpunished, and in Thay the punishment for challenging a Zulkir - even successfully - always has dire and unpleasant consequences. She had to literally become a monster to defeat a monster. The fact that she was female was only emphasized when victimizing a female underscored the narrative - prior to her death scene she was a decidedly strong, confident, and "masculine" sort of character.

As an aside, I thought Tsagoth was uncharacteristically civilized in his dealings with Mari. Polite, informative, concerned, sympathetic, almost pleasant. True he was caught in a bit of a bind, and he was perhaps unusual among his own kind, but as a blood fiend he would seem more inclined to kill and consume and violate and dominate than to parley as an equal.

Yeah, Mari Agneh was one of my favored Tharchions, but Spellbound took her out of power a long time ago (1995?). In fact, I had an NPC (Targuth Agneh) who I portrayed in the fashion of what today would be called a "spellsword" and using rules from Skills & Powers. He was a young red wizard during the salamander wars due to his cousin's influence, and even though he was an invoker, he specifically was working against his own Zulkir indirectly because of Mari (can't remember if I had her as his sister, cousin, or Aunt). He was trying to find her as well. I always portrayed him and Sleyvas as apprentices to the same master, but whereas Sleyvas was about finesse, two weapon wielding, and trickery ... Targuth was about brute force, two handed weapons, and heavy armor. In fact, I am still using him, as I plan to make him the tharchion of one of my Tharchs.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000