Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 If you had to live in the Realms, where would you?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mastermustard
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2017 :  22:31:20  Show Profile Send mastermustard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Larloch wasn't destroyed by the Srinshee's final attack, but was instead knocked through the planes and ended up on modern earth, in YOUR BEDROOM!

He's kidnapped your family and is threatening to turn them into zombies unless you agree to live somewhere in the realms for a period of no less than 10 years.

Why's he doing this? Who knows, that guy's off his rocker.

Okay, now that that's out of the way: If you were given a choice to live anywhere in the Realms, where would it be?

I think Cormyr might make for the easiest living, or Waterdeep, but I personally find the idea of Rashemen to be the most romantic. It seems to have a very strong blend of nordic/germanic culture going on.

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2017 :  22:48:20  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Candlekeep...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 08 Sep 2017 22:48:50
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2017 :  00:20:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a temple of Sharess

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2017 :  01:30:26  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If not dead, in the belly of a monster or something (with my luck, this is the most likely possibility), perhaps I would be an scholar. In the temple of Oghma in Neverwinter, or in Candlekeep, if I can chose.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2017 :  01:53:49  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neverwinter holds a special place in my heart, being the first place I virtually visited in the Realms. However, I love the snow and mountains, so maybe in Ten Towns! The winters would be tough, but worth it. Or maybe I could live there in the summer and move to Neverwinter in the winter...
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2017 :  02:16:08  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The city of Procampur. It's politically stable, has quietly survived for centuries with few catastrophes, and is out of the way of authors and designers. Plus it was the first place I DMed in the Realms and the place I keep coming back to, so it's basically my home in the Realms. :)

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2017 :  04:38:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

a temple of Sharess

Good choice!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2017 :  04:42:21  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a random gnome settlement.

nobody knows where they are and so therefore I'm safe.

plus it's well known gnomes have 20th/21st century technology that they don't share with others. :p

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2017 :  05:07:09  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, unfortunately for me I'm loyal to Coronal Miritar so I doubt I'd make it out of the bedroom before being blasted for drawing one of my swords and attacking him. Might have enough time to heroically yell "For Cormanthyr!" though...

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2017 :  05:40:06  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neverwinter seems analogous to Vancouver (where I live), though a little overinfested with elves and fey for my tastes. Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate seem too "cosmopolitan" and weird and dangerous, lol.

Luskan is a wee bit corrupt and perhaps a bit too cold to winter but otherwise filled with fine dwarven industry, so maybe ...

Can't go wrong with living at Candlekeep. Or maybe someplace like Elturel which is firmly secured by overzealous paladins, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2017 :  07:17:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On an Earthmote, large enough for me to build a house and grow my own food.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2017 :  13:00:37  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd live in Golden Huzuz.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2017 :  04:58:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose if I lived in the Realms I would yearn to live on Earth instead, lol. I'm the sort of guy who'd end up being stuffed into the Wall of the Faithless, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2017 :  07:46:27  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Either Silverymoon or Waterdeep or Semberholm

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2017 :  12:41:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

On an Earthmote, large enough for me to build a house and grow my own food.

Hey Markustay, that's not an earthmote... that's a former netherese enclave. Hey, what's Mystra doing climbing those rainbow stairs over there? Oh, she's just having a friendly chat with Helm.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2017 :  03:07:19  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myth Drannor (before Shade Enclave fell on it), Evereska, or Evermeet. Or maybe Silverymoon.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Owesstaer
Acolyte

Luxembourg
30 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2017 :  20:10:42  Show Profile Send Owesstaer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hilp in Cormyr looks unimportant enough to me!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2017 :  20:26:56  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shades of eternity

a random gnome settlement.

nobody knows where they are and so therefore I'm safe.

plus it's well known gnomes have 20th/21st century technology that they don't share with others. :p

What's the gnomish translation for siri?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2017 :  21:41:20  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silverymoon definitely!
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2017 :  22:26:27  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the realms? Unless pointy ear conversion and a language course goes with the trip, perhaps the High Forrest, and learn Druidic!
Ayrik: Most likely, anyone can belong to some "Shaman" religion of sort. It's a bit overused in fiction, but useful.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2017 :  23:25:30  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd live in Beregost. Nice temple to Lathander/Amaunator close by. Nice proximity to big cities like Baldur's Gate and Waterdeep. Fun adventuring sites nearby. Trade routes to Amn and the Western Heartlands. Nice inns and a great blacksmith in the town too.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2017 :  00:04:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh, good choice, I'd live in Beregost, too! Where I could play D&D with my buddy Diffan. Whenever thoughts about getting stuffed into the Wall get me down.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2017 :  04:15:46  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd proclaim myself Protector of Myth Drannor (ruins). And occasionally I'd shout at trespassing adventurers: "You kids, get off my lawn!"

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2017 :  06:15:07  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I left my heart in the Dalelands as soon as I picked up the 3e FR Campaign Setting. :)
Enough space for life to go slow, but close enough to big civilization that you could visit or order luxuries if you felt like it.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2017 :  07:34:08  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Oooh, good choice, I'd live in Beregost, too! Where I could play D&D with my buddy Diffan. Whenever thoughts about getting stuffed into the Wall get me down.

I'd make sure you wouldn't get stuffed into the Wall. A few gold coins to the right Clerics, prayer here and there, maybe finding an artifact and gifting it to a temple goes a LONG way to securing a nice afterlife.
Go to Top of Page

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2017 :  07:53:56  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wherever I cam open up a bookbinder's shop or apprentice under an artificer for me.

If I don't go home with a giant magical robot friend then I've done something very wrong.

Flying monkeys will eat your eyes.

Edited by - unseenmage on 21 Sep 2017 07:54:23
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2017 :  01:28:15  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daggerford or somewhere in the Moonshaes methinks. Though, to be honest, Shadowdale so that I can take a fast trip to the knoll sacred to Mystra (where Dammasae is buried) would be my first stop.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2017 :  00:34:15  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ravens Bluff.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2017 :  18:40:46  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daggerford or Silverymoon.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2017 :  22:02:21  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sunset Vale
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2017 :  20:11:09  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

The city of Procampur. It's politically stable, has quietly survived for centuries with few catastrophes, and is out of the way of authors and designers. Plus it was the first place I DMed in the Realms and the place I keep coming back to, so it's basically my home in the Realms. :)

You know this begs for the creation of a Procampur disaster module!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000