Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Seeking source of mundane D&D weapon 3.0/3.5
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

arrow-bolt
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  14:47:37  Show Profile Send arrow-bolt a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Good day,
I was hoping someone could help me. I am seeking the source of a mundane weapon and my google fu has failed me.
It is a 3.0 or 3.5 D&D weapon in a Forgotten Realms book. Maybe one of the Forgotten Realms adventure books.
It didn't list damages for Med and Small humanoids, so leaning towards 3.0 more then 3.5
It was listed in a side bar on one of the pages, so maybe an adventure book.
It was a slashing weapon, you could use weapon finesse on it.
It did 1d6 damage and had a high crit change, maybe 17-20/x2
It was called something like stone dagger or stone knife or stone blade. A hand grasped weapon, 3 blades like a hand held version of Marvel Wolverine's claws
It was the NOT the claw bracer from the 3.0 Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book.
Thanks kindly in Advance ^_^

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  16:40:20  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it in this table?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  19:45:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice list TBeholder. That will come in mighty handy.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  20:45:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are very few weapons that have a 1d6 17-20/x2, I found only four on SRD type lists. None directly linked to FR: Armitars, Slizzer, Rapier and Scimitar.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 06 Sep 2017 20:46:41
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  21:32:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

There are very few weapons that have a 1d6 17-20/x2, I found only four on SRD type lists. None directly linked to FR: Armitars, Slizzer, Rapier and Scimitar.

Slizzer? Is that another of those odd WotC creations, like the elven thinblade?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  21:35:02  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Slizzer_(3.5e_Equipment)

The slizzer (a morphed form of the word slicer), invented by humans and named by gnomes, is one of the sharpest weapons ever developed. Its uncanny ability of hitting for critical damage was developed after almost a year of studying forging techniques. Also, not only is it sharp, it is also lightweight. Popular among rogues as a substitute for the rapier, it does have one weakness: it can be notoriusly flimsy.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2017 :  21:15:45  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not the drow long blade (or something like that) from Eberron, but that only had one blade? Claw bracers, but I don't recall them having that threat range or damage off the top of my head?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2017 :  12:51:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

rapier and scimitar weren't 17-20, they were 18-20. The other two I've never heard of at all.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2017 :  13:40:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A (classic Roman) cestus isn't very exciting to look at, but three-bladed "cestus" variants (of dubious authenticity) like this and this and this can be found online, perhaps they can also be found in the Realms. Gladiators would be equipped with one cestus or two cesti.

Specialty priests of Malar use a special weapon called the "Claws of Malar". Essentially a claw bracer which mimics a beast claw from some sort of ferocious creature like a badger, wolverine, tiger, or owlbear. These might be made from sharpened stone or bone - or even metal, unless (like druids) priests of Malar are restricted to using only "natural" materials. Claws of Malar are used in both hands.

Specialty priests of Tempus use a "Spiked Gauntlet". Being as manly and battle-crazed as they are, they are likely to use a mighty reinforced metal gauntlet covered in sharpened metal spikes and blades. A berserk battlepriest wielding a Wolverine-triple-blade could do a lot of damage. The Spiked Gauntlet is a symbol of blessing/rank/authority/station, only one is worn.

Kreen use a melee/throwing weapon called a "chatkcha". Basically the same thing as the frisbee-like "chakram" used by Xena Warrior Princess, except that it's three-bladed and typically made of stone or obsidian. Thri-kreen (from the Realms) and Thor-kreen (from Athas) usually carry a small number of chatkchas, and they rarely throw their last two if pressed into melee.

I recall "jungle dwarves" using a three-winged boomerang-styled weapon, made of some special wood and edged with (venom-coated) metal blades. But I can't recall which FR supplement described this. It's admittedly not very Wolverine-like.

Claw weapons were used in India and Southeast Asia - along with a variety of special martial arts, combat styles, and tactics based around them. Usually called "katars" or "qatars", and usually one somewhat largish (shortsword-sized) "push-dagger" or "punch-dagger" blade protruding from the back of the wrist, strapped to the forearm or gripped by a bar/handle in the palm. Two-bladed and three-bladed versions (usually called "scissor katars") also existed. Popularized by the Assassin character in Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction. Using katars in both hands required special training.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 08 Sep 2017 14:05:33
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2017 :  14:08:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

rapier and scimitar weren't 17-20, they were 18-20. The other two I've never heard of at all.

As I posted. As found on SRD type lists. On the net there is much, the referring site is: http://nwn2db.com/library/weapons/?compare A Never Winter Night 2 site.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2017 :  19:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're thinking of the tiger's claws, from Silver Marches page 95.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2017 :  00:24:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Those are still 18-20. I don't think I've ever seen a 17-20 threat range on a weapon without feats or some other type of magical involvement.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2017 :  01:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Those are still 18-20. I don't think I've ever seen a 17-20 threat range on a weapon without feats or some other type of magical involvement.

No, that was uncommon if not unheard of in 3e. Considering the OP said a high crit range and wasn't sure of the exact detail, I'd call it a number mixed up over time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000