Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Varied Schools of Thought Regarding the Weave
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5818 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2017 :  17:23:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

As for the weave. I take my idea from George Krashos.

The weave is a set of linked artefacts that contain the sentiences of a number of beings that maintain and monitor the "weave".

Its is really a gigantic spellpool (kinda like that organisation that allows members access to a spellpool). It converts raw magic into spells and allows those that tap it to cast those spells. Raw magic is of course highly toxic to leaser creatures and causes then to burn up on contact with it. The weave becomes a giant insulating blanket.

The only people in control of the weave are the sentiences inside it (the baetith plus many beings that merged with it over the millennia). The church of mystra may be able to contact some of these sentiences but there is no one that can control then or indeed knows them all.

No gods involved at all.

Hmmmm... no 'gods', you say? And by 'gods', you mean estelar, right?

What you said here gave me a notion - what if those 'artifacts' aren't artifacts in the typical sense? What if they are more like 'relics'. Or remains...

Seems to me, if a whole bunch of powerful 'somethings' slammed into Toril (whole or in pieces), it might be a good way to start a 'network', using them as relays. You could probably build a nice magical 'web' of energy like that.

Faerzress, Elemental Nodes, Moonwells & 'Pools of..", Eldath's Gates, seems to me like we have a whole bunch of 'chunks of Raw magic' laying around the planet. Maybe the Road of Starlight & Shadows is like the 'Jeffries Tubes' in Star Trek - maintenance conduits originally used to keep the whole thing up-and-running. Seems to me, if you could gain control over a few of those 'access points', you could get your hands on a boatload of 'Raw' magic straight form the source. And I just happen to know two very powerful guys competing for just such things.

Laroch may not have needed the weave because of his research into portals/Gates. He's suckling at the teat of a primordial.

Yeah, this is where I was just headed in the other thread when I was discussing red wizards using their circles to channel raw magic into gems and place them around their cities. Then perhaps they were sacrificing some on the altars of the gods of magic, and the gods of magic were then placing them throughout the world to build a weave while in Abeir.

The question becomes, are there any good stones to use for this? I'm thinking Chardalyn (the one time use gems that the Netherese were using that could store a spell) is one good one. Amaratha/Shieldstone with its lightning absorption effect may make a good one. Beljurils as a very hard stone which seems to channel electricity could be another. Amber would seem to be another good one. Obviously King's Tears have some magic to them, but they'd have to be some kind of major power source.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3468 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2017 :  17:32:49  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All gems seem naturally attuned to various aspects of magic. Ed even had a whole method of magic dedicated to them.

I made chardalyns the literal physical remains of the spellweaver race after it was disconjunctified. Thats why they store any magic of the weave really well, because they are part of it. Of course chardalyns will only be found in old spellweaver nodes. If ever you were looking for a universal reagent, i would make it the chardalyn

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5818 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2017 :  00:58:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

All gems seem naturally attuned to various aspects of magic. Ed even had a whole method of magic dedicated to them.

I made chardalyns the literal physical remains of the spellweaver race after it was disconjunctified. Thats why they store any magic of the weave really well, because they are part of it. Of course chardalyns will only be found in old spellweaver nodes. If ever you were looking for a universal reagent, i would make it the chardalyn

Yeah, but certain gems are geared towards creating and/or storing energy (whether spell energy or something like lightning or force energy). So, I'm thinking focus on them for this use from a campaign perspective of "people place a lot of value on these gemstones".

By the way, adding opal into the list, as Ed had noted it as a universal component in items concerned with the storage of spells. Sunstone is noted as having the ability to store light related and energy discharge effect, so including it. Also, listing Ziose, since it has some ties to creating magic missiles without having to introduce magic to it.

Similarly certain metals should also be able to function in a like manner. For instance, the second edition version of darksteel looks interesting.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 05 Sep 2017 01:24:24
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Senior Scribe

Colombia
659 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2017 :  03:47:31  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't gem magic one of Nezram specialties? And also, how magic works in Blackmoor?

Long ago, in the distant past, they fell into decay. The philosopher’s path... The river of glory... Even the saints resting in the darkness rise up without response and block the way...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 05 Sep 2017 03:47:49
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5818 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2017 :  13:07:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Wasn't gem magic one of Nezram specialties? And also, how magic works in Blackmoor?

In some of the Blackmoor/Mystara stuff essentially they hinted that the world was long ago like our current world (and someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I've only really started delving the old Mystara stuff over the last couple years). Beneath the Principalities of Glantri was this artifact that was the source of magic for the world. It turns out that this artifact was something like a nuclear reactor.

Also, in Mystara some of the immortals (i.e. gods) were trying to keep this secret hidden. In particular, there were the white skinned Shadow Elves who lived in the underdark and believed that there were these "soul crystals" that held the souls of unborn shadow elves or somesuch. They felt it was their job to protect these soul crystals as told them by the immortal they worshipped. In truth, these crystals were something like faerzress. I should stress here that shadow elves were thought of by surface elves as being as evil as drow, but when you read about them they are misunderstood. Mystara also had drow.

One of the things I had been considering for northern Anchorome was having basically the equivalent of the shadow elves of Mystara beneath the surface. Then having the wild Poscadari elves on the surface, and avariels in the mountains. The avariels and shadow elves would both be rarities.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000