Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Returned Halruaa
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2018 :  03:57:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Not directly related to the topic, but the stuff you wrote there Zeromaru (and your work IS 'good enough' to go on the DM's guild - you should put your 'History of the Nentir Vale' on there as a 'pay what you want' - you should be rewarded for that magnificent effort. Its basically the D&D version of what the James Brothers did when they created the first Grand History (and you see how that worked at for them, eh?)

I'd love to, but I don't think this can be possible. I mean, DM's Guild doesn't cover the Nentir Vale IP... I guess I'm gonna ask Mike Mearls or Chris Perkins about it (they seem to be very reachable on Twitter).

As for the "personal weaves", indeed I had the idea of create small mhaerkyral amulets than can give a wizard the ability to cast magic in a low level-magical world... (or Weave-less world, perhaps? Now that is canon that the Weave is a multiversal thing present in some worlds, I guess Weave-less is a better term). As you suggest, the mhaerkyral amulets should be attune-able items, perhaps quasi-intelligent, just working for one person. If another get them, the amulets would be useless.

If you go with the amulet idea, I'd also make them be of a limited duration. Maybe they only work for a week or so, when outside the area of the larger mhaerkyral, and then need to be taken back to be recharged for at least a week.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2018 :  04:20:26  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thats just what they want folks to believe - Ed was always about giving PCs (and NPCs) 'special stuff' that fell outside of the rules - just look at Spellfire. We've also 'Wild magic talents' (and mutations), and we've got TONS of lore (novel & source) about people coming into contact with something they shouldn't have and suddenly gaining new abilities (and perhaps changing themselves, both within and without). Hell, the whole thing with Tieflings is a mass mutagenic affect.

The old 'Wild Talent' psionic rules also falls under this category. Can anyone say "Elminster's School for Gifted Youngsters".

Or to put it another way, what a bunch of guys 3500 miles away from me decided to do in a sourcebook has absolutely no affect on what happens at my table.

Yeah, this kind of thing was standard a long time ago. The rules were really there to build on, not to stop you from doing things. Some of the characters you used to see at the old Milwaukee Gen Cons had some strange powers and stuff to spice things up. I remember Gary G. had an old wizard NPC that to me seemed very much like Elminster, except he had some sort of power over basically every other wizard. If you got too out of line suddenly you could find yourself in a dungeon with no spells and at the mercy of your non-spellcaster allies. It made for some creative crazy ideas from the people, and really kept wizard players under control.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000