Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Returned Halruaa
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  06:18:30  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
the "Returned" is catchy enough, so...

Anyways, reading sleyvas' ideas I became quite interested in this place (in fact the Realms have a lot of interesting places, but I prefer places that aren't so much touched by official products). I want to update the place to 5e, because the SCAG is really straightforward with this: " Halruaans diviners managed to foresee what would happen, and as a collective effort they managed to shift their nation to Abeir. They then came back in the Sundering".

However, this leaves a few questions in the air. First, the Halruaan diviners used the Spellplague. But the Spellplague mutated anything it touched, even gods and the planes themselves. Why the Halruaan diviners would came unscathed when gods didn't could?

Second, Halruaa is one of those places that went to Abeir and back again, so I guess that much of what we know about it is not true anymore. There must be changes (a century of changes).

So, I'm using Ed's posts about what beheld to Halruaa during the catastrophe, as well as stealing some of Markustay's ideas I found here.

Having that into account, here we go.

Ed's idea is that "there were times as Abeir and Toril passed through each other that Halruaa was "gone"/incommunicado vis-a-vis the rest of Faerûn" and "caught in mid-dimensional segueing between Abeir and Toril (and not the entire country as a neat whole unit, but bits and pieces of it in a very localized fashion)."

If my english isn't as bad as I think it is, I guess this means Halruaa was "hopping" between Abeir and Toril, and not as a whole country, but as a phenomena that affected regions differently. Like, this city was in Abeir, this one not, and that every settlement may have been blinking in at its own pace (like this city stayed in Abeir for a year, then returned to Toril for another year, and then blinked back to Abeir, etc; while this other was blinking every few minutes, and this other went to Abeir and didn't returned for the whole century).

This is as I understand it, and as I want it to use the idea. I can even imagine that, after a period of blinking, most of Halruaa went to Abeir permanently (in that century, I mean). Perhaps, wen the Wailing Years ended.

This will allow for the Halruaans to interact with a few Abeirans, and eventually integrate them in their society. I have plans for a clan of dragonborn they met in Abeir and helped them, in fact (is the idea I was developing for Maztica, but Seethyr disappeared and I don't want to waste my idea).

As for the Spellplague, Ed's said that many wizards either went mad or died. And we know Halarahh, the capital, remained in Toril as a ruin in 4e.

We can use that. Maybe, see this as their "price". Yeah, the diviners tried to save Halruaa, and sent it to Abeir (yet, their spell went wrong, leaving all their cities blinking between worlds and such). But they died, consumed in the blue flames. And Halarahh was left in Toril, a ruin, destroyed by the Spellplague.

Another stuff to think about is the passage of time. Did time froze or move slower/faster while they were blinking? Or just moved normally? For what I read in Ed's post, it seems that Halruaans advanced in some form (they changed some of their points of view and became more militaristic), so I'm going to assume that time moved normally. (Or perhaps moved differently between blinking zones?)

Now, we know Halruaans placed wizardry over another forms of using magic, before the Spellplague. Sorcery was shunned and that stuff. Yet, wizardry failed them terribly in the Spellplague, while sorcery may have been the way that allowed some Halruaans to deal with some of the dangers of Abeir (as sorcery is perhaps the only magic you can use there naturally).

At least in their first years in Abeir they had to relay in sorcerers. And that means that their opinion about them may have changed. If sorcerers are not more important than wizards in current Halruaa, at least they are at their same social status.

Their interaction with the Abeirans may have allowed them to improve their technology (canon, Abeir is more technologically advanced that Toril; even the Lantana improved their technology while on Abeir, according to the SCAG). Perhaps to the level of Eberron, or at least close to it.

Another stuff I like to use in new Halruaa is the "mournland" idea Markustay suggested. If not in all the country, at least in the places more affected by the Spellplague (like Halarahh). Or perhaps all the heartlands got "mourned" and the current Halruaans live in the outskirts of their country, or in earthmotes.

What do you think? Any ideas? Or rotten tomatoes?

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  15:40:52  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well halrura was founded by netheril running away in skyships, so with a fairly low population, they could have used the airships for quarentine purposes to reduce it's effects somewhat.

being somewhere else during the spell plague could also be a descent way to return them during the resundering, but have it so that not all towns survived.

Since aber is a place of primorial energy, you could have a lot of halrurans being infused with elemental energy (effectively becoming gensai for variety). This, combined with sorcerers greater prominence sure could have fun upseting the status quo.

The swamp of Akhlaur is rumored to be a tap to the elemental plane of water, so it could be a holy place for these "enspelled".

come to think of it, they really should have a sorcerer "spell scarred" path. :)

To make things easiest, it's probably best to let time pass at the same rate. That way you can use the historical precedence, but not let it get in the way of any changes. :)

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  16:06:13  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, in 3e they sealed the gate to the plane of water in the swamp (is in the Shining South sourcebook, and in one of the novels of Elaine Cunningham).

But yeah, else ships or earthmotes. In fact, I want to preserve Yaulazna, the mote of the Five Companies that was formerly the Bay of Pirates.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  16:37:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

However, this leaves a few questions in the air. First, the Halruaan diviners used the Spellplague. But the Spellplague mutated anything it touched, even gods and the planes themselves. Why the Halruaan diviners would came unscathed when gods didn't could?

For the same reason places with a lot of magic blew up -- unless that place was protected by a mythal or plot armor. And the latter was a huge component of the Spellplague.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  16:41:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

IIRC, in 3e they sealed the gate to the plane of water in the swamp (is in the Shining South sourcebook, and in one of the novels of Elaine Cunningham).

But yeah, else ships or earthmotes. In fact, I want to preserve Yaulazna, the mote of the Five Companies that was formerly the Bay of Pirates.

Here's an idea I had:

Halruaa's Five Companies, Redux

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Aug 2017 16:42:36
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  18:06:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now thats a cool coincidence - I split my Halruaa (Misbegotten Realms) into the Five Nations. I lifted the five Nations whole-cloth from Eberron and pasted it onto five Islands - I even had one of them be a magically blasted wasteland (Mournland). Not sure why Halruaa lends itself to the #5 so readily.

I like what you have so far, Zeromaru.

I have other ideas about the Godwar and what happened to the planet, and a tiny bit of that pertains to Halruaa, or rather, what may have been under it. Maybe its because I am watching Naruto with my boys lately, but I keep seeing parallels in that show (or, at least, stuff we can use). There is a very main part I'd like to take=apart and reasssmble, Realms-style, but I'll do that elsewhere.

But one of my favorite enemy characters (not really a 'bed guy' per se; Naruto is mostly 'shades of grey', which I really like) is a guy named Pain. It's actually just a nickname, so don't be too critical. He is seven people - the original guy (Nagato), and six others he uses like 'puppets'. In order to control them, he forces pieces of this Demonic statue into them (the statue is like D&D's Tharizdum, and those pieces - in the forms of rods - are like physical versions of pure 'corruption' that can get driven into a body to control it). The story's way more complicated than that, but thats all we need to know for this.

The group that originally formed - the Akatsuki (pronounced A-khat-ski) was for good. Kind of like 'rebels against war itself'. The leader was killed, and second in command got corrupted (listened to someone he shouldn't), and the Akatssuki became an evil group (at least, in the eyes of everyone else, including other 'bad guys'). Anyhow, at its head was Nagato and is six 'puppets' (Pain). For all intents and purposes, they were considered a single being. Occasionally we see Nagato (and a couple other Akatsuki, as the organization grew and became more evil) use those 'rods' (pieces of the primal evil) to control others as well.

I only went over all that (super-condensed) and link a pic because I want to take some of that and use it for those Halruaans that were in Abeir, and maybe even some of the ones who have returned (younger Mages who won't so readily go back to 'the old ways' of doing magic, before the Spellplague). In much the same way that the Warlock Knights were 'mining' Telos and using his Feliron (I don't like the name 'Ironfell', sounds to much like 'Winterfell', IMO), we could say the Halruaans in Abeir had also found a primordial who they could use pieces of to still 'do magic' (albeit a bit differently - it was probably more elemental-based).

So picture stranded Halruaans scrambling to find some way to survive on this new world, and not having access to their most important resource - magic. I can see them forming a group similar to the Akatsuki (really, just Pain in the above linked pic), and then having to drive spikes of {primoridal} into themselves to be able to harness that energy, to a similar (powerful) degree they were able to back on Toril. Basically, they could use it like the Warlock Knights, but it was limited, but by impaling themselves (and they WOULD be in constant pain), they could 'mimic' their former power (almost).

What do you guys think? Too dark? I like the idea of a group of (Primal) Elemental casters with piercings all over their bodies, and being in constant pain, in order to 'help Halruaa achieve it true greatness'. In other words, FANATICS. Crazy ones (the pain is starting to make them go a bit nuts) who feel 'the end justifies the means'. They may be something that is tolerated in 'Returned Halruaa', for now, because the old-timers aren't sure how to get the younger folk to embrace the 'old ways' again. There may even be one 'old timer' leader that most folks aren't aware is pulling the strings of the radicals.

We just need a name for the primordial, so we know what to call the material that's in the rods. Just keep the name feliron? (even though it would be a different primordial, who we'd still need a name for). Maybe Menoe for the Primordial? (after the Greek Titan Menoetius).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Aug 2017 18:15:22
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  22:35:55  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

For the same reason places with a lot of magic blew up -- unless that place was protected by a mythal or plot armor. And the latter was a huge component of the Spellplague.

Yea, but if we admit they just did "rock falls, everyone dies" on all things they did not want in 4E D&D, imho it looks like a better explanation they just reverted things gone horribly wrong, like the Highlander 2 movie just "never happened". Or V'ger never met earth in Star Trek. And Jack O'Neil never got turned into a Jaffa and made alien babies.

Lots of good ideas here though.
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  23:55:44  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halruaa gets a mention in Tomb of Annihilation with a skyship showing up - it was talked about a bit in one of the recent Lore You Should Know podcasts. In case anyone's interested.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  00:22:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is questionable as to who would adapt first (wizards or sorcerers). Wizards have the intellect to study the phenomena in a form similar to the scientific method. Sorcerers lack this capability, but magic does come more naturally to them. However, if they were adapted to the weave use AND their spells were anything complex (i.e. more than a simple fireball or magic missile), the sorcerers may have had issues. Actually, it may be warlocks that adapt faster than anyone, as we don't really know how reliant their power source is of the weave and their patrons may teach them to adapt faster.

Just a few things to throw out there that may help you.

A) One question that keeps coming up is the "how did they know"... and if it helps, one of the things I'm going with for some of this stuff is that Savras (and Leira) were both in the know that the crashing of Abeir and Toril (and possibly the death of Mystra's replacement) was on the way before the Time of Troubles. So, it was these two deities (both in dweomerheart when Mystra died) who threw their power together to re-anchor dweomerheart to Abeir. It may even be that Mystra I killed herself just to setup someone else to take the fall in the relatively near future.

So, where was Leira? My unofficial answer is that she IS the Cyrinishad, and that she and Mask were working together against Cyric. So, the madness that has infected Cyric is in essence Leira. So, when Cyric went in to kill Mystra.... he failed, and he didn't even realize it.... he only wounded her severely.... because Leira had ridden in with him without his knowledge. Maybe the last century has been Midnight actually "transfusing" her power slowly back to the original Mystra. Maybe some other spin.

By the way, this can spin into the Kelemvor / Mystra / Raven Queen thing we've been discussing if slowly Midnight has given her "life" and "divine power" to Mystra I in the past century. It could be that she finally did die, say around the decade prior to the Sundering, and her soul was sent by Mystra to Kelemvor

So, how does this tie to Halruaa? Savras warned his most powerful followers in the world in various forms so that they could aid their homelands in some form. So, the ruler of Halruaa, Prince Zalathorm, who was a diviner... Yaphyll, the Zulkir of Divination, who split herself in two and sent herself into the future and saw the spellplague... and the Farseer of Tashluta... all were encouraged by Savras to take certain actions that prepared their civilizations somewhat and sent them into Abeir. In the case of Yaphyll, it was the aforementioned spell that she cast at the command of Szass Tam (read about it in the Haunted Lands Trilogy, second book). In the case of the Farseer, it was encouraging his ruler to allow a Thayan enclave to be built in their city. In the case of Halruaa, its however you plan to spin it.

Does this make sense? One thing I will note... every major magical country (except Thay and Returned Netheril)... seems to have gone to Abeir. Especially if I have it that many rebel red wizards did via their enclaves. So, Returned Netheril was Sharran... and Thay itself had long been haters of Mystra officially, but they were fine with her servants (except that the Zulkir of Necromancy hated the god of necromancy, but I'm betting many rebel necromancers didn't have such a problem). So, did the gods of magic really want their greatest arcanists in Abeir rather than Toril for a reason? Was that because they knew they'd need worshippers to survive?

B) On Halarahh (sp?) being in ruins

On Toril it was in ruins supposedly. Bear in mind, that this may mean that the majority of it transferred quite fine to Abeir, but some structures remained behind and destroyed. It was also a known plagueland in Toril, so any intelligence gathered on the location is questionable.

C) On the Halruaans taking to earthmotes (from the other thread). The Halruaans of all people will be very hesitant to place all their eggs in the basket of "we'll be safe if we go live on some floating cities". You will note however that I say "all their eggs". I can see them having some earthmote cities. They shouldn't be able to make them move. I see them putting people on these cities in the form of "training universities" for young mages as a safe location for them. I can see some earthmotes that are nothing more than large farms that don't have to worry about MOST predators. I can see earthmotes that literally become dumps. I can see earthmotes that become military stations with flying squadrons mounted on flying mounts of some sort. I can see earthmotes that become prisons.

By the way, I've been thinking about earthmotes and plan to put two of them above my tharch of Peleveran.

One of them will be a standard earthmote, but with a portal that only allows water through it. This water is from the river shaar as it passes near the new city I have the renegade Halruaans building. It hits this portal, then comes out on this earthmote that has multiple "locks" allowing it to "funnel" the river in each of the 8 cardinal directions to create temporary rivers that run around Peleveran. So, in essence, the water comes through tunnels beneath Peleveran, out some falls at Peleverai, becomes the river Shaar across some of the western shaar, then shoots BACK up to an earthmote above Peleveran and "rains" down where they might need it to go. When they return to Toril, this portal may become a major military issue, and preventing the river shaar from getting dammed or diverted upstream may become a worry. Also, this earthmote may be where the avatars of Khass and Ishtar were rumored to reside while in Abeir.

The second earthmode, I'm picturing a giant volcano floating in the air... dripping constant lava and molten metal onto the land below it. Where's the lava coming from if not the planet's center? Well, the volcano has an active portal to the elemental chaos. Perhaps the area beneath it has nothing to really burn. The people of the surrounding land come and gather this lava (or rather buy it from those who gather it), and this lava makes great fertilizer. The molten metals also have obvious uses. Also, this earthmote may also be a prison, as well as having a temple to Kossuth and a temple to Grumbar.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  02:25:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, on the subject of earthmotes and impact craters that Markustay brought up somewhere in one of these threads. What if what impacted Halruaa at at least one point was in fact one of their enclaves falling from the sky during Karsus' Folly? Right exactly where Halarahh was created on Lake Halruaa. Not saying that there might not have been an earlier impact as well

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  02:51:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hmmm, on the subject of earthmotes and impact craters that Markustay brought up somewhere in one of these threads. What if what impacted Halruaa at at least one point was in fact one of their enclaves falling from the sky during Karsus' Folly? Right exactly where Halarahh was created on Lake Halruaa. Not saying that there might not have been an earlier impact as well

An enclave would not make the kind of crater Markus is talking about.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  04:22:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's like a Texas-sized hole. LOL

Although, IIRC, the one that wiped-out the dinos and created the Yucatan was about 50 miles across, right? That would be about the right size. That's a planet-killer, right there. We're talking like a century-long ice age with no summers. Its actually not the size, anyway, its the velocity, and a falling enclave would never pick-up enough speed to do something like that. we are talking 'miles per second' type speeds.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Aug 2017 04:23:32
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  04:34:17  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
not ot mention tht it would have to be a really huge or dense asteroid/meteor to have much left over for it

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  04:53:57  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I only went over all that (super-condensed) and link a pic because I want to take some of that and use it for those Halruaans that were in Abeir, and maybe even some of the ones who have returned (younger Mages who won't so readily go back to 'the old ways' of doing magic, before the Spellplague). In much the same way that the Warlock Knights were 'mining' Telos and using his Feliron (I don't like the name 'Ironfell', sounds to much like 'Winterfell', IMO), we could say the Halruaans in Abeir had also found a primordial who they could use pieces of to still 'do magic' (albeit a bit differently - it was probably more elemental-based).

In your map topic I suggested the idea that the Halruaans, at some point (perhaps a few decades after the Wailing years, so in the 1400-1410s) got a fragment of a primordial (the heart or brains) and use it to "get arcane energy" and being able to use magic (4e not vancian-magic, but this would help wizards).

So, your idea is fitting. Perhaps the Elders got the brain/heart, but the youngsters, rebel elemental casters may have bits of the rest of the body in the following years.

I also have the idea of implementing the primal magic (primal power source in 4e), that it seems is one of those forms of magic that don't depend on the Weave. Maybe making the primal spirits of Abeir as mad as those of Athas...

quote:

We just need a name for the primordial, so we know what to call the material that's in the rods. Just keep the name feliron? (even though it would be a different primordial, who we'd still need a name for). Maybe Menoe for the Primordial? (after the Greek Titan Menoetius).

I guess Menoe is ok. Primordials usually have titles, so, maybe... Menoe the Four-something Storm (as a way to say the guy represented the four elements, that will allow us to have elemental mages of all the classic elements).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  05:02:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, that's like a Texas-sized hole. LOL

Although, IIRC, the one that wiped-out the dinos and created the Yucatan was about 50 miles across, right? That would be about the right size. That's a planet-killer, right there. We're talking like a century-long ice age with no summers. Its actually not the size, anyway, its the velocity, and a falling enclave would never pick-up enough speed to do something like that. we are talking 'miles per second' type speeds.

The Yucatan one was a little over 9 miles across... And I was reading a couple of months ago that the effects wouldn't have been as severe if it had happened half an hour before or later. They still would have been severe, but not as bad -- the dinosaurs might have even survived, had the asteroid been a little earlier or later.

The problem was that it hit a shallow inland sea where there was a lot of gypsum, which caused the release of huge amounts of sulfur. The sulfur rose into the atmosphere and darkened the skies; I was reading earlier today that even a conservative guesstimate would have been a full year of sunlight that was no brighter than the moon.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  05:36:56  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It is questionable as to who would adapt first (wizards or sorcerers). Wizards have the intellect to study the phenomena in a form similar to the scientific method. Sorcerers lack this capability, but magic does come more naturally to them. However, if they were adapted to the weave use AND their spells were anything complex (i.e. more than a simple fireball or magic missile), the sorcerers may have had issues. Actually, it may be warlocks that adapt faster than anyone, as we don't really know how reliant their power source is of the weave and their patrons may teach them to adapt faster.

If we go by canon (the Wailing Years, the Devil You Know), wizards are out of the equation. They just went to Abeir after all the chaos of the Spellplague and found themselves unable to cast even the simplest cantrip. They may have found ways to overcome this (my idea of using the remains of a primordial to channel raw magic in an area, somehow mimicking a "weave"; your idea of some gods creating a "mini-Weave in certain regions), but in their first years, they will be like a gun without bullets... unable to do anything (like any wizard in 3e with all his/her spellslots used, in fact).

Sorcerers may have had issues, but their magic is something natural to them, and it "fulfills" the "canon rule" of magic using in Abeir (if something can produce magic on its own, it can use it in Abeir). So, even if using magic for them will be difficult, they at least could use magic there. Simple, weak, but can use it. They could master it in a few months, while wizards may have to work the double (first, get a way to access magic in Abeir, second, re-train in this new form of spellcasting).

Also, I don't know how warlocks worked in earlier editions, but in 4e they worked with patrons. Abeir is locked from the Astral planes (or at least, is locked from the Nine Hells), and the Feywild was also closer to Toril than to Abeir. So, only warlocks using pacts with Far Realm entities (4e Star Pact/5e Elder One patron) would have the edge (and Abeir is home to some of those... so, mmm).

Dunno how Halruaans saw pact magic at the time, tho. Before the Spellplague, the guys were all set in "wizardry is the only true path of magic", shunning all other forms of magic, considering them either unrefined or dangerous. Sorcerers were shunned because of their gifts (the 3e Shinning South sourcebook says that Halruaan sorcerers preferred to leave the country than living downplaying their own abilities, the destiny of those sorcerers who didn't left Halruaa). So, warlocks maybe were a minority of outcast, even compared with sorcerers.

quote:

So, where was Leira? My unofficial answer is that she IS the Cyrinishad, and that she and Mask were working together against Cyric. So, the madness that has infected Cyric is in essence Leira. So, when Cyric went in to kill Mystra.... he failed, and he didn't even realize it.... he only wounded her severely.... because Leira had ridden in with him without his knowledge. Maybe the last century has been Midnight actually "transfusing" her power slowly back to the original Mystra. Maybe some other spin.

Midnight was killed. This is revealed in Elminster Enraged, and that is why the current Mystra is a new incarnation of Mystra and not Midnight. The current Mystra (can we call her Mystra the Third?) is somehow a fusion of all the memories of the former Mystras and Mystryl.

quote:

In the case of Yaphyll, it was the aforementioned spell that she cast at the command of Szass Tam (read about it in the Haunted Lands Trilogy, second book). In the case of the Farseer, it was encouraging his ruler to allow a Thayan enclave to be built in their city. In the case of Halruaa, its however you plan to spin it.

The Halruaans had no option. For what it seems (re-reading BRJ's Wailing Years article) Halruaa was the "ground zero" of the Spellplague in Toril.

Dunno why... perhaps because of Mystra's temple in Mount Talath?

quote:

So, did the gods of magic really want their greatest arcanists in Abeir rather than Toril for a reason? Was that because they knew they'd need worshippers to survive?

Its an excellent question... We know Mystra did have done some preparations in the wake of the Spellplague (she knew it would happen, because the Weave was malfunctioning since the ToT), as revealed in the novel "Elminster Enraged". Perhaps this was part of her preparations, as well.

However, we also know (thanks to that same novel) that the Spellplague was far worse than Mystra believed it would be. It seems she miscalculated some stuff.

Halruaa's destruction (it was destroyed, even if some parts of it survived—even Ed acknowledged that many Halruaans just died during the Spellplague) shows this sort of miscalculation on her part.

quote:

On the Halruaans taking to earthmotes (from the other thread). The Halruaans of all people will be very hesitant to place all their eggs in the basket of "we'll be safe if we go live on some floating cities".

Yeah, I forgot the guys learned the lesson about floating cities. But a few earthmotes will be a good idea.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  12:30:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

An enclave would not make the kind of crater Markus is talking about.

No, but it MIGHT make Lake Halruaa, which is where the capital is. That's why I pointed out the idea of an earlier impact.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  12:52:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Warlocks would have been ultra-rare in Halruaa, possibly even shunned. I was just pointing out that of all the classes, they might recover first. They'd just need a new patron, which Primordials can fill. Telos is a primordial, and he has warlocks. Theoretically, Abeir may have touched the shadowfell and/or feywild as well (though traversing such may have been hard and the spells to do such very high in level and requiring special components). Also, the idea behind warlocks and binders is VERY similar, though the mechanics varied in 3e (with binders able to change "patrons" daily), and binders are able to contact entities in some place that's "not connected to the universe" that could be the far realms but is referred to as "the place where vestiges go". Again, may not fit Halruaa, but it may be worth a discussion, as these types of casters may have had some kind of uptick as a result. Anima mages (binder/arcanists) and eldritch theurges (warlock/arcanists) may have seen a sudden upsurge as wizards and sorcerers begin dual studies in both fields (I'd call them Theurgist Adepts). Hmmm, in fact, for Peleveran, I may in fact have them uncover some old "Theurgist adept" material from the old empires and Thayd.

I keep hearing that the new Mystra is a new form, and I know its hinted it might be the Simbul. Do we actually have any confirmation of that? I had the feeling they deliberately left it open-ended when Mystra "shows up" at the end of the sundering novel by Ed.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  15:43:15  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed confirmed it. Mystra the Third is a new Mystra, made up by the memories of the former Mystras and Mystryl, and a remnant of Mystra that was living in a bear (dunno if this remnant was a remnant of the original Mystra or a remnant of Midnight).

Perhaps Irennan have a more complex answer, as I don't have access to the novels, but Ed confirmed it in an AmA in the FR Archives on Facebook.

As for other kinds of spellcasters... yeah, I guess that those using less orthodox styles were the ones who withstand the Spellplague with less troubles that those traditions reliant on the Weave. Shamans, druids, barbarians (that use totem magic), psionics... and those who used arcane practices that used raw magic or pact magic. Divine users... they would also had to adapt, unless they received divine powers directly from their gods, instead of using the Weave for that.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 28 Aug 2017 15:52:10
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  16:51:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've become enamored with the concept of fanatical elemental mages with body-piercings (of Feliron). Not like normal piercing - like spikes driven into their bodies, so they'd be in constant pain. Very dark, but I could see desperation having driven some to this in Abeir (and now its become cult-like, so even though they have the Weave again, these would be like 'Arcane Zealots'.

"Only through pain do we gain clarity"

Because of the cult-like attitude of the group, I am almost thinking the Shugenja class from OA would be perfect for these guys. Elemental specialists with some healing.

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Aug 2017 17:37:38
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  17:41:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've become enamored with the concept of fanatical elemental mages with body-piercings (of Feliron). Not like normal piercing - like spikes driven into their bodies, so they'd be in constant pain. Very dark, but I could see desperation having driven some to this in Abeir (and now its become cult-like, so even though they have the Weave again, these would be like 'Arcane Zealots'.

"Only through pain do we gain clarity"

Because of the cult-like attitude of the group, I am almost thinking the Shugenja class from OA would be perfect for these guys. Elemental specialists with some healing.

Wu Jen would fit as well, especially one whose elemental mastery was metal.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  18:34:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted them to have a bit more of a 'cult' thing going on, with the feliron involved, and Shugenja are basically priestly elementalists (I want them to be able to 'heal' as part of having those rods stuck in them - maybe regen 3, but 2pts of that would constantly go back to healing the weeping wounds around the spikes). they should also have some very limited healing abilities, like a cleric, but almost entirely ineffectual if performed on someone other than themselves, or a fellow Acolyte of the Primal Dawn©.

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Aug 2017 18:34:47
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2017 :  08:27:23  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been working on this for a while. Its a timeline of events that happened in Halruaa while on Abeir. I have finished the Wailing Years (I have no idea of how the Abeiran would have called them, so I'm using the Torilian term) + 1400 DR.

1385 DR: Year of Blue Flame – The Spellplague

Toril:

At some point before Tarsakh 29, Zalathorm and his diviners predicted the death of Mystra and the destruction of the Weave and began to develop countermeasures against the potential devastation of such an explosion of wild magic. Zalathorm alerted all wizards and priests across the kingdom, and they began to prepare their magical shields and other defenses accordingly. In no time teleportation and scrying across Halruaa became impossible and most divination magic became unreliable. A few Halruaans prepared their skyships to leave the country as soon as possible.

Then the Spellplague hit.

As dusk fell on Tarsakh 29, a menacing storm began forming over the Mhair Jungles west of Halruaa. Beyond its massive size, the storm was particularly notable for the ribbons of blue flame that seemed to writhe and flow among its formations. In the mountains near Lhair, dumbfounded priests watched in absolute silence, unable to comprehend the terrible events unfolding on the horizon. Then, the cerulean flames engulfed Halruaa.

On Halarahh, Zalathorm and other powerful wizards used their arcane prowess to channel the magical energy of the Blue Fire into a new world... Abeir, a world that had been hidden to Torilians until that day. In a last ditch effort, they cast a spell to transport their nation to that other world, while displacing whatever lands (and peoples) on that region to the plane of Shadow. But the Spellplague was no regular magical energy and the wizards could not control its power. Halarahh was wiped out in an explosion so powerful that was felt even in faraway Waterdeep.

Many Halruaans died when magic went wild and structures that depended on magic collapsed and active magic turned chaotic, and so on. At the same time, many wizards went insane or got brain-burned or were killed when caught in their own spells going chaotic. Other wizards, among those some unaware of what was happening, activated all their defensive spells, so more shields went up, many of them twisted or going wild as the Spellplague consumed the land.

The three great mountain ranges that oft protected the nation from external invasion actually made it difficult for those Halruaans fleeing in skyships to escape the uncontrolled wild magic unleashed across the countryside. Many of them died while fleeing, as their skyships ceased to function and crashed against the mountains.

Halruaa finally was laid to waste due to the heavy wild magic activity in the area, as flesh, stone, magic, space, and perhaps even the flow of time was twisted and defiled, becoming into what was later known as the “Plaguelands”. Only the lands of Yaulazna, a pirate haven in the Sea of the Pirates, survived thanks to an strange effect given to the magical shields by the Spellplague, turning the land into an earthmote.

The magical shields and other defenses activated by the powerful Halruaan wizards were changed by the spell cast by Zalathorm and his wizards, and the unpredictable nature of the Spellplague. Every settlement protected by a magical shield began to “blink” between dimensions, trapped in a seemingly unending teleportation loop between Abeir and Toril...

Abeir:

The desolation of Arkhojs was a desert full of ruins of an ancient draconic empire, destroyed long ago during the first years of the Rule of Dragons. Nobody dared to occupy those ruins until the return of the Despot of Shyr. Dragons feared him but also loathed and despised him. And so the powerful red dragon known as Aerosmaughathrax, the Colossal Fire, conquered that land in defiance, hoping to amass a large and powerful army to destroy Karshimis and become the new ruler of Shyr.

As with all dragons, the armies of Aerosmaughathrax were composed of slaves, mostly dragonborn, but some humans and dwarves were seen among them as well. Aerosmaughathrax’s army has been fighting for years, sometimes winning some others losing, but by the 723rd year of the 36th Cycle* they had conquered the ancient city of Io'vanthor and had amassed enough numbers that even Karshimis saw them as a threat.

That day, the slave-armies of the Colossal Fire were fighting against a regiment of genies and genasi, the defender of the southern frontier of Shyr. If they could win that battle, other dragons would join forces with Aerosmaughathrax and they would become a force that even Karshimis would fear.

Then the Blue Breath of Change hit.

As dusk fell on the battlefield, a powerful earthquake rocked the world. Abeir was shocked to its very core and even mountains crumbled. Then, cerulean flames appeared from nothingness and engulfed all. The Shyran warriors and the slave armies alike, the ruins of Arkhosj... all disappeared and were replaced instead by strange edifices that “blinked” amid the cerulean fire.

As in Toril, many spellcasters died or went mad when magic lost control. The casualties were lesser however, as Abeiran spellcasters were rare.

The rear forces of the slave-army survived the chaos. During the final months of the 723rd year of the 36th Cycle, they had to fight plaguechanged horrors while looking for other survivors. In the meantime, they realized that Aerosmaughathrax was no more, as he had disappeared within the cerulean flames. The Blue Breath of Change had gifted them with their most desired wish: freedom...

*I'll post video of kitties if someone gets the reference.

1386 DR: Year of the Halfling’s Lament

Toril:

Halruaa is a wasteland. The Spellplague mutates the land, reshaping reality into a chaotic mess. Most of the Halruaan cities are still blinking between worlds, trapped helplessly within the dimensional magic.

While the earthmote of Yaulazna survived and the pirates and a few Halruaan survivors joined forces to reclaim some skyships from the lizardfolk of Rethild, eventually founding what is known today as the Five Companies, Halruaa is deemed lost... to the rest of Faerûn, the kingdom of the wizards has been destroyed.

Abeir:

Earthquakes rock the world while other natural catastrophes devastate the lands. It’s rumored that a whole continent, Laerakond, has disappeared and that strange peoples had began to appear in the world. While southern Shyr is not hit as hard as the northern lands, the lands are ravaged by the chaos, nonetheless. In Arkhosj the blinking Halruaan cities transform the landscape into a highly magical zone, something pretty rare in the usually low magical nature of Abeir. Of the ruins of the ancient draconic empire, most are lost. Only the ancient Io'vanthor was left unscathed.

The survivors of the army of Aerosmaughathrax, now calling themselves the Arkhosvarsh Coalition, have gained control of some of the ruins, founded small settlements and tamed the land, maintaining the plaguechanged creatures of Arkhojs at bay.

By the end of the year, the fortress of Talathgard is released from the dimensional magic. Members of clan Thurkearishmolik (a dragonborn clan) meet with the Halruaan survivors. After a few deliberations, the Halruaans are allowed to become part of the Arkhosvarsh.

1387 DR: Year of the Emerald Ermine

Abeir:

The outlying Halruaan settlements began to stabilize and appear on Abeir, allowing the Arkhosvarsh Coalition to help the survivors. Unable to use magic, Halruaan society divides into two factions: people afraid of magic at all, who wanted to have nothing to do with it; and people who want to recover the use of magic. They began to explore the remaining Arkhosj ruins in search of any information about Abeir. With the help of the Arkhosvarsh Coalition, Halruaans begin to explore Io'vanthor.

Having lost access to the Art, some Halruaans begin cross-training with the Arkhosvarsh in swordplay and martial defense. In years to come these swordmages will prove invaluable against neighboring aggression in the region.

1389 DR: Year of the Forgiven Foes

Abeir:

A force of Shyran soldiers try to retake the lands of Arkhosj, and the Arkhosvarsh Coalition is barely able to defend itself. After a devastating battle the Shyran forces retreat but the Arkhosvarsh lost most of their numbers. A few Halruaans flee to the north, having heard of some place named Pelevaran.

1392 DR: Year of the Scroll

Abeir:

Another bunch of Halruaan cities stabilize in Abeir and the survivors join the almost defunct Arkhosvarsh Coalition (it has been decimated fighting plaguechanged horrors). The expedition team discover the old library of Io'vanthor, full of arcane lore. Halruaan wizards begin the experiments that in years to come will allow their wizards to use magic freely in Abeir.

1393 DR: Year of the Ring

Abeir:

Clans of dragonborn slaves from Shyr flee to Arkhojs due to civil unrest in their lands. Those clans join the Arkhosvarsh Coalition. With their forces bolstered, the Arkhosvarsh are able to tame the lands by the end of the year, driving away the plaguechanged horrors.

1395 DR: Year of Silent Death

Abeir:

Most of the effects of the Spellplague had come to an end by this year and magic surges wild and uncontrolled. Because of this surge of magic, many Halruaans and individuals from the Arkhosvarsh Coalition become sorcerers (wild magic source, unless dragonborn, who develop dragon magic instead). With their power boosted by magic, the Arkhosvarsh Coalition and the Halruans soon become a force to be reckoned with.

Halagard stabilizes in Abeir, and Zalathorm is among its inhabitants. How Zalathorm ended there or how he survived is something that even he doesn't understand. He is the only known survivor of the destruction of Halarahh (a city that was not transported to Abeir).

Zalathorm join forces with the Halruaan wizards in Io'vanthor to develop a mythallar using fragments of a mysterious, yet magically powerful rock (in truth, the remains of an ancient primordial).

1400 DR: Year of Lost Ships

Abeir:

Using the powerful mythallar, Zalathorm and his wizards are able to create a "weave" across the lands of Arkhojs, making able for any spellcasters to use magic within those lands. Zalathorm creates "New Halruaa" (just Halruaa for the friends), allowing the members of the Arkhosvarsh Coalition to be full citizens of their new country.

Not long after, the Halruaans repel another Shyran invasion. Some diplomats of a coalition of cities known as the Tarchs of Pelevaran appear in Halruaa asking for the Halruaans to join them, but Zalathorm declines. As they members of this group are Thayans, they are not allowed to remain in Halruaa.

That is all that I have for now. But I guess that this would allow us to explain how Halruaa thrived while on Abeir. The first years were hard, but after 1400 DR the began to recover.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 25 Oct 2017 09:17:23
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2017 :  08:32:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you come up with something more pronounceable than "Arkhojsvarg"?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2017 :  08:40:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Varg sounds a bit illuskan to me.

Of course it may just be that some of the letters pronounce differently. I made a q sound like a h in Untheric for instance.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2017 :  08:50:22  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Varg" comes from vargach (to battle, in draconic according to Races of the Dragon). As draconic is an approximate language I came up with varg as "warrior" (as vargus means captain). The name means the Warriors of Arkohsj.

Maybe soften the "varg"? (that is something common in Abeiran draconic, as per Erin's novels). So, perhaps "Arkhojsvarsh"? Or even "Arkhosvarsh".

EDIT:
Done. Also, I edited some grammatical errors.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 25 Oct 2017 09:19:46
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2017 :  02:38:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the problem is with the 'j', but if we just treat that as an 'i' it sounds okay. I also like treating the 'g' as an 'h' sound, so it could be pronounced something like Ark-hoy-svar {breathy 'r' at the end).

We English-speakers don't like 'j' appearing in the middle of words.
And given that Zero is from Columbia, and I know how 'Juan' is spelled and pronounced...

I think the timeline is excellent though - I'd definitely use it (since I know almost nothing about Abeir).
Did you add-in the stuff about Pelevaran to tie-into Dazzler's material? I'm not keen on it having gone to Abeir, but I suppose its the only way we can 'save it' for 5e.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2017 :  03:05:34  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the Peleveran stuff is a tie-in with sleyvas's stuff, as he said at some point that some rebel Halruaans joined to one of the Tarchs at some point and stuff.

Mind, though. The stuff of Abeir is all made up. The few canon stuff is that dragons are the rulers of the lands, have slaves, and hate Karshimis.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 26 Oct 2017 04:05:55
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2017 :  08:38:26  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With this post, I've covered Halruaa while on Abeir and until the SS.

What do you think? Should I expect a rain of rotten tomatoes?

1400 DR to 1487 DR — The Endless War

After the creation of a network of mythallars to enable non-innate spellcasters (such as wizards) to attune themselves with the raw magic of Abeir, in 1400 DR, a new Council of Elders was put in place and Halruaa began to rebuilt. Grateful with the Arkhosvarsh Coalition, as well as acknowledging the benefits of an alliance with natives of Abeir, the Council of Elders made the dragonborn clans Halruaan citizens, giving them full rights in their society. Not long after, Halruaan agents began to explore the new world.

As wizardry was still unreliable (even with the network, wizards had to relearn how to use magic in a world without the Weave), sorcerers became prominent in this new age. As wizards were unable to properly use their magic beyond the lands of Halruaa, only sorcerers were permitted to travel to the outside world. The social stigma against them began to fade as even the most old-fashioned traditionalists saw that they needed them.

Warlocks began to appear in the first decade of the 15th century DR, when some Halruaans heard the call of otherworldly powers. Although initially mistrusted, warlocks also became assets when the Shyran invasion began. By 1450 DR warlocks were openly accepted in society, even if grudgingly.

Abeir was unlike Toril. A savage world of oppression and slavery. Most of the land known as Shyr was dominated by a primordial, Karshimis the Despot, a cruel ruler that only cared for itself. Genies and genasi were the upper-class citizens, while members of any other races were just expendable slaves. In those lands were Karshimis did not rule, the Dragon Tyrants were supreme. And they considered all non-dragons as beneath them, just worthy of being slaves. All dragons in Abeir were evil, even metallics. They fought against Karshimis in brutal wars for domination. For dragons and genies, the “lesser” beings were expendable, acceptable collateral damage in their eternal struggle.

Halruaans had to rethink their pacific ways if they wanted to survive in a harsh world. This became a necessity when, in 1402 DR, the Shyran army started an invasion on Halruaa with brutal force. Karshimis had regained control of its lands, put down rebellions and even killed a pair of Dragon Tyrants. Now, Karshimis wanted to subdue this upstart nation. While Halruaan wizards were powerful, this was not a deterrent like it had been in Toril. The genies also had powerful magic at their disposal and the advantage of playing in their homeland. It was only the expertise of guerrilla warfare members of the Arkhosvarsh Coalition provided that allowed the existence of Halruaa as a free nation.

Because of this state of permanent warfare, always repelling invasions time and again, against superior numbers that had powerful magic at their disposition, the Halruaans never were able to fully rebuild their settlements.[1] They became a highly militaristic people, much like the dragonborn clans that were helping them. While most wizards regained their old magic practices, the magic favored was war magic. The wizards and artificers began to repair guardian constructs, or to create new ones. Their dwellings became small fortresses. Struggle for survival shaped their culture.

Despite the fact that nearly all the effects of the Spellplague had ended by 1395 DR, its magic continued to affect the Halruaan settlements (this was because Halruaa was a plagueland in Toril). Every few months some settlement blinked between dimensions, retuning to Toril for a few days before returning to Abeir. It was during one of those “worldfalls” (as the transposition was called), in 1413 DR, that the Abeiran Halruaans made contact with the members of the Five Companies.

The Five Companies had thrived. They became highly regarded as mercenaries and smugglers across all of Faerûn. Then, one day, the skyship of the Yargo Company spotted Zalasuu. After the initial surprise, things went tense for a time. Then old Zuusted Nimderval took charge of the situation. Soon he learned about the fate of the Halruaans in Abeir and decided to go to the other world in the next “worldfall”. After meeting Zalathorm and the Council of Elders, a plan was put into action.

The Five Companies became Halruaa’s connection with Toril. They began to get magical items and other stuff for the Abeiran Halruaan’s (smuggled to Abeir when some settlement blinked between worlds), and also became their eyes and ears in Faerûn. In exchange, the leaders of the Five Companies got a few rare Abeiran magical items salvaged from Io’vanthor, [2] and some Abeiran Halruaans (among them a few true Abeirans of the Arkhosvarsh) joined the Five Companies ranks from time to time, to get more training and to help the mercenaries in their endeavors.[3]

Over time, Halruaan society changed (an endless war of almost 100 years changed them). Every family began to question their beliefs, their pacifists’ ways, their laws and customs, their reliance on magic, assumptions about their place in the world...

And then, the Second Sundering happened.

In 1487 DR, Halruaa suffered its last “worldfall”, but this one affected the entire region, and because of their mythallar network, it not only affected the original Halruaan settlements but also the new ones created in Abeir and the ruins of Arkhosj that had been permeated with the magical energy of the mythallars (including Io’vanthor).

As with the Spellplague, there were losses again. The Second Sundering wasn’t selective. The Halruaans that weren't within the network influence were left behind in Abeir. This only helped to fuel the paranoia of current Halruaans. They began again to adapt to a new world. Some became priests of Mystra and other gods of magic and knowledge, but most were wary of gods that abandoned for more than a century (only Mystra got forgiven because she was killed). The Halruaan spellcasters adapted to the new Weave, and began to set powerful defenses and to improve the war-focused magic. “Halruaa will not be taken by surprise next time”, is the motto.

Thanks to the influence of the Five Companies, the returned Halruaans set forth in new skyships to explore the new world. The rest of Faerûn knows the Kingdom of Wizards has returned, but they are unaware of their struggles, of their victories and loses.

Zalathorm is old and tired. He wants to retire now. Even if he doesn't admit it loudly, the Spellplague and a century of fighting have taken its toll. He is not the same powerful wizard he was a century before. As of 1489 DR[4] there were plans to elect a new Netyarch...

[1] This is to keep Ed’s depiction of current Halruaa as “World War II cities after heavy bombing”.

[2] So valuable and powerful that even Gratz’z was willing to lose a whole demon army for just a few of those.

[3] Basically, yes. This is Wooly’s idea.

[4] SCAG’s date.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 26 Oct 2017 08:53:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2017 :  09:36:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[3] Basically, yes. This is Wooly’s idea.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2017 :  13:51:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it. The main changes I'd make would be ones we've discussed, in that maybe some of the missing gods were over in Abeir, but using rules from the DMs Guild "Priestess: Ancient World Divine Class". That being said, that supplement relies HEAVILY on people sacrificing to the gods, and I don't see Halruaans being that into sacrificing to gods (but they might for gods of magic such as Savras, Deneir, Leira, etc...). Hell, having their ruler come back in the form of a weakened avatar of Savras might be useful to you (i.e. he willingly is allowing Savras to inhabit his body to perform SOME act.... maybe Savras "reawakens" a mythallar but attunes it to the weave of Abeir.... or even several spread throughout the country that were all gathered from Netheril, but had since broken down several centuries ago). Just so its known, I AM planning on doing something similar with Savras with actually two other individuals (the first being Zulkir Yaphyll, who will serve as his "body" for a short span when she helps recover Velsharoon's/Mellifleur's phylactery from the tower terrible in Soorenar.... the second when he helps the Farseer stabilize a portal from his home city of Tashluta in a Thayan trade enclave to the Tharch of Balduran Bay, allowing thousands to flee the city when a danger of Abeir encroaches on the region).

BTW, thanks for the links, and if you don't mind, I will possibly put a link in my thing I create to recommend reading some of this.

Also, here's some of what I wrote up to cover magic use in Abeir, in case it helps get us all on a same page. I know some of this won't make sense without the surrounding material (like where's the Tharch of Esh Alakar.... well that's in Anchorome on the western coast near where the "City of Gold" was... the Tharch of New Eltabbar is in northeastern-most tip of Katashaka)

Magic during the Spellplague Years in Abeir

Following the spellplague, magic was generally unstable, much as it had been on Toril. However, several factors enabled the red wizards to quickly begin recovering such that they could at least defend themselves in their home territories. In fact, in certain regions, the recovery took less than a year

First, the former netherese enclave of Doubloon, whom Mythrell'aa had renamed the city of Luneira, held not one but five mythallars. It seemed that not all mythallars had been created equal, and thus over time many netherese cities had upgraded to more efficient variations of mythallars. Also, the people of Doubloon, known as some of the greatest thieves of ancient netheril, had even stolen several from other lesser netherese enclaves and surfact cities when they tried to transfer their old mythallars to build other cities nearby. Thus, while most of these mythallars were weaker and more inefficient than the mythallars of the time of High Netheril, they were able to produce a viable weave in a localized area within Abeir. When the red wizards were transferred to Abeir, Zulkir Mythrell'aa, while serving as the weakened avatar of Leira, required her city to transfer one of these mythallars to each of the red wizard enclaves of Cimbar, Soorenar, and Balduran Bay, so that these cities would be able to defend themselves

Second, part of what had attracted the red wizards to the cities of Esh Alakar and down in the jungles of Lopango, Land of Fire, had been the fact that they had discovered strange magical emanations similar to that which had empowered the red wizards prior to the time of troubles. These emanations, which some called “raw magic” or “darkfire”, had been drawn upon by the red wizards using their circles to empower their circle leaders to amazing heights of power using an artifact said to be buried beneath the city of Amruthar in Thay. Following the release of Velsharoon from his tower in Soorenar, many red wizards were also given visions of such a power lying buried in the heart of the Shaar somewhere near the city of Peleverai. Several generations later, it is whispered that the tharch of New Eltabbar was created because another such field of emanations was found to be localized to this escarpment. In each of these areas, the spellcasting of the wizards is enhanced, such that the power of their spells is improved either making them more damaging or harder to resist, but the exact effects vary by city and/or tharch affected (to be designed by the DM). One of the base differences seen throughout them all is that cantrips are cast as if the spellcaster were 4 levels higher than they actually are (thus a 1st level wizard casting acid splash is treated as though he were 5th level, and a 2nd fighter/5th level wizard casting acid splash is treated as though he were 11th level).

Third, through their study of the Netherese lore of the Mythallars of Luneira, they were taught to seek out many different types of gems, metals, and even plants which could be made to serve as foci which could with enough exposure to converted weave energy could be made to draw in the magic of Abeir and create a fledgling weave in some areas. By assigning their apprentices to circles meant to draw upon the flow of Abeir's raw magic and induce a flow into these foci, they created a natural “current” by which magic continued to traverse these foci. They then implanted them throughout their cities creating a system of weak ley lines. In cities in which they had access to a mythallar or a “darkfire artifact” creation of these magical foci was easier for these circles, They also offered up many of these foci upon the altars and in the idols of the gods of magic, and some believe that the gods themselves did place these foci throughout the lands that had transferred to Abeir. By doing so, magic did return to these lands, and soon other peoples besides the red wizards were able to call upon the divine magic of their gods or various other forms of arcane magic.

Fourth, red wizards also managed to capture several powerful entities while in Abeir, and using variations on the circle rituals which they had used in coordination with the artifacts and mythallars found in certain cities, they discovered that they could use said entities as a form of slow charge magical power source. Some of these entities were demons and even demon lords from the abyss, for the elemental chaos was in connection to Abeir, and Zulkir Jorgmacdon Odesseiron had learned much from his studies of ancient Narfell and his entrapment of Eltab long ago. Still others were believed to be great spirits, weakened avatars, primordials, and even nyama-nummo.

Fifth, the creation of these minor foci allowed red wizards to bring a power source with them as they transferred into new territories, and many had to use wands, scepters, torcs, headbands, etc... with these foci embedded in order to cast magic when leaving their colonies. Many of these items function similar to netherese quasi-magic items using a mythallar when within their home cities, but serve to function as a simple power source outside of these cities. Also, while typically an arcane or divine focus enables a person to not have to keep simple material components available, while in Abeir red wizards found themselves unable to cast even the lowliest of spells without having the material components in hand.

Still, despite all of this, the red wizards were not able to provide magical capability quickly enough to all their fledgling trade enclaves that had transferred to Abeir. As a result, several of them collapsed due to the pressure of outside invaders. In particular, the trade enclaves in what are known as the “Serpent Kingdoms” of Tashalar, Thindol, and Samarach, as well as the city of Hlath were forced to evacuate their homes and flee to other better established trade enclaves. In the case of the serpent kingdoms, portals that connected these trade enclaves to the Balduran Bay Colony allowed a sizable portion of these populations, including many non-mulans, to escape and rebuild elsewhere. The functioning of these portals would allow many adventurers over the next century to seek out lost resources within these abandoned kingdoms and learn more about the world that they had transferred to without endangering their own homes. The knowledge of how to use these portals is a closely guarded secret, and even those that traverse them often are unaware of how exactly the portal itself is opened. As a result, many of them had to provide their own form of magical transportation back to their homeland (which also served to hide the portals from those who might follow them as a result).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000