Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Emerald Enclave - 7 Circle Names
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Odin Highhammer
Acolyte

Sweden
24 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2017 :  16:48:11  Show Profile  Visit Odin Highhammer's Homepage Send Odin Highhammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am reading through Vilhon Reach and noticed that the Emerald Enclave has a setup of 7 circles, but two of these circles are named the same.

The Circle of Earth is both the Second and the "4th" (there are technically three 4th circles).

Is this a typo? Was there ever a different name for the Earth Circles printed anywhere, or was this clarified somehow?

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2017 :  01:52:48  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
typo I would assume. the wiki only lists

Circle of Initiates
Circle of Earth
Circle of Air
Eldath's Circle
Planar Circle
The Elder Circle[1]

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Odin Highhammer
Acolyte

Sweden
24 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  17:16:05  Show Profile  Visit Odin Highhammer's Homepage Send Odin Highhammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The typo is really in the wiki here. The reference here is the Vilhon Reach sourcebook and it states both "The 7 circles" and then lists 7 circles, with earth being listed twice.
The wiki cuts this down to 6.

The book (page 27) has two entries for Circle of Earth:
"Circle of Earth: Once a member has proven his loyalty, he is promoted to the ranks of this circle."
and
"Circle of Earth: Members who walk through the lands of Faerūn belong to this circle. Most limit their travels to the lands of the Vilhon Reach. Those that walk elsewhere typically serve as lookouts on the activities of other, expansionist organizations or governments."

So there is clearly 2 different circles but named the same. One of them must be named incorrectly in the original sourcebook and should be something like Earth Circle, or The Circle of Alluvium. - Was looking for any other sources that had updated this name.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2017 :  04:18:07  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it could still be a typo that was not caught on TSR's side of things.

and.... hmmm.... .

vilhon did not get a 3.x book.

pretty much nothing on that area even in 4e.

the emerald enclave... one of the named factions for 5e.

..... well, not sure if any of them will have what you are looking for.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/188733/Storm-Kings-Thunder-Emerald-Enclave-Faction-Kit
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/199498/A-Guide-to-the-Factions-of-Faerun
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/145542/Elemental-Evil-Players-Companion-5e?src=hottest_filtered&filters=0_0_0_0_0_45462_0_0

princes of the apocolypse adventure
the hoard of the dragon queen and rise of tiamat one too.

not sure the sowrd coast adventurer's guise would have any on it.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2017 :  05:26:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe its just me, but I would assume there should be a 'Circle of Fire' (fire is actually part of the 'natural process', and thins back forests so that new life can take root and come back even stronger - the carbonized leftovers from fire help feed the new plants, which in turn help feed the animals).

In other words, Druids don't necessarily think Fire = Bad. It a 'Circle of Life' thing. If the other three are present (Eldath = Water), than I don't see why fire would be missing. Thats my best guess.

EDIT:
Oh, and if it was up to me, I'd actually make it number five, putting it over Eldath's Circle (and pushing that one down to four). Its the last of the 'basic elemental' circles, and in alchemy, the most important - without 'Fire', there can be no life. I'd have an actual 'Baptism By Fire' for druids to graduate to this level (in other words, walk through a fire, or over hot coals, or some-such). "Only by understanding the forces of entropy can we appreciate the value of renewal."

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Aug 2017 05:32:34
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2017 :  14:42:49  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the three elements water, earth and air included, the natural elements therein can be sufficient for druids most of the time. Large parts of the natural world can go on for eons without the element of Fire, but they always connect in some way to earth, water and air. But I agree for D&D's druids, who tend to wield lots of cleansing fire spells, the Circle of Fire would make sense.

Nevertheless, one can make a case for several other 'primary' circles needed in the higher education and transcendence of druids. Some suggestions are:
Circle of Kindred
a test in the druids connection to ancestors, spirits and their patron god
Circle of Essence
a test in the druids connection to spirit, energy and matter
Circle of Hallowing
a test in the druids aptitude with cleansing fire, breaking curses and awakening plants
Circle of Stars
a test in the druids knowledge of divination, seasonal lore and heavenly bodies
Circle of the Sun
a test in the druids connection to the summer, spring, autumn and winter
Circle of the Moon
a test in the druids lore about the proper gestation, health and sanity
Circle of Time
a test in the druids ability to divine clues from the future, the present and the past

I am leaning towards a Circle of Hallowing, because the Planar circle probably contains the higher mysteries of the Stars, Sun and Moon, while the Elder Circles probably teaches the the mysteries of Essence and Time. Hallowing needs to be done to a whole bunch of places in the 15th century realms too, so it would make sense for the Enclave to devote a 'training' circle to it.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2017 :  00:52:02  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
of course in 5e after it was reorganized, some of those circles might not exist anymore.

the scag stated that thte enclave were members of moon and earth respectfully in equal measures. iirc

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Odin Highhammer
Acolyte

Sweden
24 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2017 :  15:56:23  Show Profile  Visit Odin Highhammer's Homepage Send Odin Highhammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, yeah - In my video on this topic I went with a synonym for earth, to keep as close as possible to the original source.

I think the Circles are still there, The Reaver (book 4 in the Sundering series) has a call out for all three Elders, as well as Circle of Air name drop.
The way this was written, it implied that it was a rankup of another circle, so it seems they are keeping with the old format.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000