Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 SCAG: Tchazzar: wording is he actually back?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2017 :  23:29:49  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, Kel wasn't in the Abyssal Plague storyline. TRQ was mentioned in the Abyssal Plague novels that weren't FR, but I don't remember her being mentioned in the Sword of the Gods, which were the AP novels concerning the Realms.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2017 :  23:44:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I edited the above - I had left off an 'S' (turning 'she' into 'he' by accident). I wasn't talking about Kel. I NEVER talk about Kel unless I have insomnia (works like a charm!)

My point was, SHE was in an FR-related storyline - it doesn't matter if she was part of the series that did not take place in FR, if any part of the series did, then she has to be FR canon (the series itself cannot be 'dissected' into individual canons - its one story-arc).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2017 :  00:14:31  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm the Shadar-kai of the Realms are descendants of Netheril, doesn't? I can see an apperture here for TQR to be reconciled with the Realms lore...

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

She had a part in that storyline?

Just in one of the novels related with the Abyssal Plague spread in the Nentir Vale world (the first one... the worst one...). She is not mentioned in the others. The novels that took place in the Realms or Athas also don't mention her.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 18 Aug 2017 00:15:28
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2017 :  00:57:27  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, she's mentioned in the "D&D" novels (there were several written around the time of the Abyssal Plague story, but they weren't all connected to it), like Last Garrison. There was also The Mark of Nerath and The Seal of Karga Kul. There was this character...I'm forgetting his name, I think it started with an E, but didn't he have some sort of connection to TRQ? I don't remember much from those novels, but I seem to remember TRQ being mentioned in several of them.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2017 :  01:38:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't know, I stopped reading FR novels at the end of 3e (with a few exceptions).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2017 :  01:39:25  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stuck with the novels. I haven't read all the "classics", but I've read a fair amount or them, and I read all the ones in 4E. Even though I didn't like the state of the setting, I wanted to know what happened lol.

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 18 Aug 2017 01:39:59
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2017 :  02:11:39  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erak, a revenant, yes. He appears in both Last Garrison (a novel that takes places like 50 years before the Abyssal Plague novels) and in Mark of Nerath (the first novel of the Abyssal Plague series). TRQ is also mentioned in the Seal of Karga Kul (a novel parallel to the events of the Abyssal Plague novels), in a myth involving her, Melora (another NV goddess) and Corellon causing chaos during the Arkhosian-Turathi Wars.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 18 Aug 2017 02:12:20
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2017 :  02:14:58  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's starting to ring a bell, actually lol. I had forgotten all about that, but now that you mention it, it is stirring from the dark recesses of my brain LOL.

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 18 Aug 2017 02:15:30
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2017 :  02:32:49  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read those novels recently, so they are still fresh in my mind. xD

I've compiled a lot of stuff of those novels, here. I'm reading right now the compilation book, Untold Adventures. There are a few stories about FR in that book, as well... so, it will take me a time.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2017 :  02:36:14  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol that would explain it. I read them when they first came out, so it's been several years, and I have read a lot of other books since then XD

Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2017 :  18:00:29  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, this scroll turned into a lot of great ideas about the Raven Queen... I must confess that I really do like the Raven Queen... So, here's some of my homebrew Lore about how I've incorporated her into my Realms (may as well toss it into the mix of this Sagely Brainstorming session):

After Cyric killed Mystra & unleashed the Spellplague... Kelemvor was consumed by grief and sorrow when the souls of those who died in the Spellplague suddenly flooded the Fugue Plane, and among them was the mortal soul of Ariel/Midnight... Her soul had been fragmented from Mystra when Cyric struck the fatal blow... Kelemvor embraced Midnight, but she did not recognize him, her memories were no longer part of her soul... Asmodeus sensed an opportunity and whispered into Kelemvor's ear... "Where will her soul go now that Mystra is no more?" mused Asmodeus, "With no god to claim her soul, and no memory of who she was, will you judge her faithless? Or merely let this echo of her former self wander the Fugue for eternity? Perhaps she would be willing to join me at my side as my Dark Queen."... Kelemvor glared at Asmodeus, feeling anger rising within himself about his inevitable responsibility to judge her soul... Tyr, Lathander, and Sune arrived to claim souls, and proudly inform Kelemvor that they had delivered justice and imprisoned Cyric for his crimes... Asmodeus scoffed at the three gods, “The casual hypocrisy of the gods always amuses me. Justice, Beauty, and Life gleefully reaping the harvest of Injustice, Horror, and Death… Magnificent.”… Kelemvor’s sorrow turned to fury, “What did he give you to let him live?!”… The three gods seemed confused… “What did he give you to protect him from me?!” Kelemvor raged, “You didn’t imprison him, you have shielded him! Cyric is the one that should be consigned to the Wall of the Faithless, not Midnight! I will kill Cyric, I will have Vengeance!”… Jergal interjected and revealed an unforeseen possibility to Kelemvor, “Although you cannot escape the inevitability of your responsibility to judge mortal souls, there is a silver lining to this circumstance. Long ago, there was one who ascended to divinity after her death, but her name has been forgotten to all except me, the scribe of the dead. It could be Midnight’s Fate to be at your side for eternity as your Raven-haired Queen. You can have your Vengeance. You merely need to make me a promise.”… Kelemvor stared at Jergal… “The Sundering has allowed the gods to return to Toril, but that is cheating Fate. Death must be the final Fate of all, even the gods.” Jergal proclaimed… Kelemvor solemnly vowed, “If she can be at my side, I swear I will do whatever is necessary to ensure the gods meet their Fate. And when they do, I will judge them the same way I would have judged Midnight's mortal soul. FAITHLESS!”

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Edited by - Cyrinishad on 18 Aug 2017 18:52:48
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2017 :  18:48:29  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

So in your homebrew, Jergal has power over the other gods, because he can judge them, or did I read it wrong?

No, he doesn't have power over the other gods... I'm suggesting that even though Kiaransalee was forgotten as a deity, Jergal would still remember her because she died before she became a deity, therefore he would have recorded her name since he's the scribe of the dead... Essentially allowing Jergal to bestow Kiaransalee's divinity upon Midnight's mortal soul... thereby merging the two into the Raven Queen, the goddess of Fate.

In exchange for this, Kelemvor has promised the "Lord of the End of Everything" that he will bring Death to the only beings that continually escape it's grasp, the gods... and promised to himself that when the gods are dead, their final Judgement and ultimate Fate will be consignment to the Wall of the Faithless...
(Possibly enabling Jergal to absorb the divinity of all the dead gods)...

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2017 :  19:32:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats a VERY interesting take on things - I like it. It even makes poor, boring Kelemvor rather interesting now (a non-evil, anti-god, God).

I don't understand how someone who worshiped Mystra (and even became her!) could be judged 'faithless', but I've seen worse 'fudging' in canon material. Just because Mystra no longer had a realm, I would think her faithful had to go somewhere (they aren't 'the False', but they could still possibly just stay in Kelemvor's realm, and considering his former association with her, that would make a lot of sense). Especially after the end of 3e, his realm could now have a new section for 'followers of dead gods' (kind of like 'cosmic refugees'). In fact, you could even marry this theory to your own above - perhaps Midnight was 'the first of many', and thus he created his new 'ghetto of the godless', and she manages that for him, as The Raven Queen.

I think i like this a LOT better than anything else we've come up with - it fixes way more than it breaks.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Aug 2017 19:32:57
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2017 :  19:44:19  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Mystra no longer had a realm, I would think her followers would go to the realm of allied deities. This could include Kelemvor--or at least, they go to Kelemvor as a "place of holding" (like refuges), until another god is willing to take them. This could hold true for any followers of a "dead" god.

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 18 Aug 2017 19:49:54
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2017 :  22:20:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

Wow, this scroll turned into a lot of great ideas about the Raven Queen... I must confess that I really do like the Raven Queen... So, here's some of my homebrew Lore about how I've incorporated her into my Realms (may as well toss it into the mix of this Sagely Brainstorming session):

After Cyric killed Mystra & unleashed the Spellplague... Kelemvor was consumed by grief and sorrow when the souls of those who died in the Spellplague suddenly flooded the Fugue Plane, and among them was the mortal soul of Ariel/Midnight... Her soul had been fragmented from Mystra when Cyric struck the fatal blow... Kelemvor embraced Midnight, but she did not recognize him, her memories were no longer part of her soul... Asmodeus sensed an opportunity and whispered into Kelemvor's ear... "Where will her soul go now that Mystra is no more?" mused Asmodeus, "With no god to claim her soul, and no memory of who she was, will you judge her faithless? Or merely let this echo of her former self wander the Fugue for eternity? Perhaps she would be willing to join me at my side as my Dark Queen."... Kelemvor glared at Asmodeus, feeling anger rising within himself about his inevitable responsibility to judge her soul... Tyr, Lathander, and Sune arrived to claim souls, and proudly inform Kelemvor that they had delivered justice and imprisoned Cyric for his crimes... Asmodeus scoffed at the three gods, “The casual hypocrisy of the gods always amuses me. Justice, Beauty, and Life gleefully reaping the harvest of Injustice, Horror, and Death… Magnificent.”… Kelemvor’s sorrow turned to fury, “What did he give you to let him live?!”… The three gods seemed confused… “What did he give you to protect him from me?!” Kelemvor raged, “You didn’t imprison him, you have shielded him! Cyric is the one that should be consigned to the Wall of the Faithless, not Midnight! I will kill Cyric, I will have Vengeance!”… Jergal interjected and revealed an unforeseen possibility to Kelemvor, “Although you cannot escape the inevitability of your responsibility to judge mortal souls, there is a silver lining to this circumstance. Long ago, there was one who ascended to divinity after her death, but her name has been forgotten to all except me, the scribe of the dead. It could be Midnight’s Fate to be at your side for eternity as your Raven-haired Queen. You can have your Vengeance. You merely need to make me a promise.”… Kelemvor stared at Jergal… “The Sundering has allowed the gods to return to Toril, but that is cheating Fate. Death must be the final Fate of all, even the gods.” Jergal proclaimed… Kelemvor solemnly vowed, “If she can be at my side, I swear I will do whatever is necessary to ensure the gods meet their Fate. And when they do, I will judge them the same way I would have judged Midnight's mortal soul. FAITHLESS!”

Holy Cr@p.... I need to think on this, because I like it.... but maybe its just the kewlness of it. Still, I like it. Mystra is "reborn" as the Raven Queen somehow. It needs some work though.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2017 :  23:18:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know, I think part of the sheer beauty of it is its simplicity. Kelemvor didn't have to make any deals - he is the final judge of the dead in FR, and he could have judged her NOT 'faithless', merely false, and she would have been in his Realm regardless. Part of why I like it is because he was basically duped (1st by Asmodeus and then by Jergal) into becoming an 'outsider' where the other gods are concerned (which is how most death-gods are portrayed anyway). I think he's been angry at 'the Gods' every since the ToT - he didn't want any of this, and he certainly didn't want to be separated from Midnight (or have her sleeping with some 1000-year-old perv because 'its part of her job'). I think he's resentful, and jumped at any reason to 'judge them'.

I'm still trying to figure-out how Nerull survived his own death (since that plays into this through Kiaransalee, so we get to keep a smidge of that theory as well). Hmmmm... Nerull.. Nergal... Jergal... Something there, sort of.

I went looking for something (which I haven't found yet) in one of the few 4e sources I have (Open Grave - is that the only sourcebook linked to the Shadowfell, BTW?), and I found this concerning the Raven Queen:
quote:
"As the putative sovereign of the Shadowfell, the Raven Queen is fate’s instrument. All souls come to the Shadowfell, and sooner or later they pass through the Raven Queen’s Citadel in Letherna, except for those souled undead that evade the fate she decrees."

Aside from me now having to call the 'Ghetto of the Godless' Letherna (and say its connected to both Kel's realm and the Shadowfell, which makes perfect sense), We have that bit about TRQ being THE god of 'all things shadowy'. Thats got a major conflict with FR lore. I don't see how someone who is considered 'the sovereign of the Shadowfell' can coexist with Shar. Its almost as if she is supposed to be a Core version of Shar. The fact that we are currently trying to turn the TRQ into Midnight (Mystra) is some serious juxtapositioning.

What IF... Midnight was Shar's daughter...
I mean, think about it. The name alone...

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Aug 2017 23:24:51
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2017 :  00:00:12  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interestingly enough, the 4e FRCG says this in regards to the Fugue Plane:

The Fugue Plane
The Crystal Spire, a tower of glittering transparent rock, watches over the City of Judgement, a gray metropolis of the dead, in the otherwise flat and featureless Fugue Plane. From the Crystal Spire, Kelemvor and his seneschal, Jergal, judge the dead...
Connections: Shadowfell: the Fugue Plane has connections to all other dominions as well, but the use of such links is limited to those collecting and transporting the dead to the afterlife
(pg.63)

(The bold was bold in the book, so I just included it).

The Afterlife
The souls of those who die travel through the Shadowfell to the Fugue Plane. There they await judgement.
(pg 65).

In previous editions, and again in 5E, souls go directly to the Fugue Plane, where they then await to be picked up by their gods (or the servitors of them). 4E is the only edition (that I know of) where the souls passed through the Shadowfell on the way to the Fugue Plane. They got rid of it again in 5E (which I am glad about, to be honest. The Shadowfell just seems like an unnecessary step LOL).

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2017 :  03:47:07  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
tell me about it.
I always considered the shadowfell another name for the plane of shadow and thus something that was not needed. unless they had plans to use it to connect to eberron.... not sure if there was and why, that is what sigil is for....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2017 :  04:30:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because the 'Plane of Shadows' (Shadowfell) is the 'land of ghostsisis'.

Seriously, though - I had always figured it to be a transitive plane used primarily by the dead. I've always thought that, in any edition, and no matter what they are calling it. Just because some of 'the living' have figured out how to use it (and its fraught with dangers for anyone not already infused with 'shadowstuff') doesn't mean it isn't still the 'spirit highway'.

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Aug 2017 04:32:37
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2017 :  10:07:47  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and yet 4e had both.

4e shadowfell was not needed. unless it was there to connect FR to ebersux/

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2017 :  10:28:35  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 4e, the Plane of Shadow is the Shadowfell. They are not distinct places, are one and the same, as per the Manual of Planes. The only difference is the name.

Yeah, the FRCG says that "Shar created the Shadowfell", but that makes no sense with the fact that the Dawn War is also a FR stuff, and the Shadowfell predates the Dawn War. So, that stuff of Shar "creating the Shadowfell" is Sharran propaganda, to the level of "Asmodeus ended the Blood War" (and we know that is not true. Even 4e products denied that).

As for the Shadowfell proper, mind, the concept was created with Forgotten Realms in mind, and later adapted and used in core products and the other 4e settings (this is revealed in Dragon 370). So, really dunno why they changed stuff, but was stuff created for the Realms and exported to 4e core, not the reverse.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 20 Aug 2017 10:46:34
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2017 :  11:35:14  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, here is an idea on how to make magic usable in Abeir without using meddling gods in that world (well, we can use gods in Abeir, but not as the source of arcane magic, as we need a way to explain why Abeirans were able to use magic before those gods appeared). I guess this can be useful to sleyvas as well.

There is this from Dragon 362:

"For eons, the use of magic in Faerûn was focused through a god of magic, most recently Mystra. Except for certain Netherese wizards of ancient days who learned the truth, most believed that no magic would be possible without such a deity."

So, there is. The netherese knew how to use raw magic. If those secrets somehow were rediscovered by at least one of the zulkirs, they can access raw magic even in Abeir (that we have to suppose, is the only form of arcane magic in that world). This also explains why Szass Tam was able to use magic even in the Wailing Years (as he was trained by Larloch).

I will use it to explain how the mages of Halruaa were somehow able to use magic even in Abeir. Since halruaans are of netherese heritage, is logical that they were aware of this knowledge. They just didn't use it because the Weave is more useful to cast spells. Or because we didn't saw them use it (?). But while on Abeir, they had to use it to survive.

I still want the Wailing Years to be difficult for the displaced Torilians in Abeir (because Torilians just owning Abeiran because reasons is boring). But after that, well, canon says the halruaans thrived. Maybe this will force the halruaans to threat sorcerers with more respect as well (in the first years, sorcerers will be the only ones using magic there), and will allow for the introduction of artificers and such, as in Abeir magic items are more widespread that magic practices. I see stuff like wizardry and sorcery become widespread only after the Spellplague, while the displaced Torilians will logically adopt the practices of the Abeirans in the meantime.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 20 Aug 2017 11:37:24
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2017 :  13:51:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I don't know, I think part of the sheer beauty of it is its simplicity. Kelemvor didn't have to make any deals - he is the final judge of the dead in FR, and he could have judged her NOT 'faithless', merely false, and she would have been in his Realm regardless. Part of why I like it is because he was basically duped (1st by Asmodeus and then by Jergal) into becoming an 'outsider' where the other gods are concerned (which is how most death-gods are portrayed anyway). I think he's been angry at 'the Gods' every since the ToT - he didn't want any of this, and he certainly didn't want to be separated from Midnight (or have her sleeping with some 1000-year-old perv because 'its part of her job'). I think he's resentful, and jumped at any reason to 'judge them'.

I'm still trying to figure-out how Nerull survived his own death (since that plays into this through Kiaransalee, so we get to keep a smidge of that theory as well). Hmmmm... Nerull.. Nergal... Jergal... Something there, sort of.

I went looking for something (which I haven't found yet) in one of the few 4e sources I have (Open Grave - is that the only sourcebook linked to the Shadowfell, BTW?), and I found this concerning the Raven Queen:
quote:
"As the putative sovereign of the Shadowfell, the Raven Queen is fate’s instrument. All souls come to the Shadowfell, and sooner or later they pass through the Raven Queen’s Citadel in Letherna, except for those souled undead that evade the fate she decrees."

Aside from me now having to call the 'Ghetto of the Godless' Letherna (and say its connected to both Kel's realm and the Shadowfell, which makes perfect sense), We have that bit about TRQ being THE god of 'all things shadowy'. Thats got a major conflict with FR lore. I don't see how someone who is considered 'the sovereign of the Shadowfell' can coexist with Shar. Its almost as if she is supposed to be a Core version of Shar. The fact that we are currently trying to turn the TRQ into Midnight (Mystra) is some serious juxtapositioning.

What IF... Midnight was Shar's daughter...
I mean, think about it. The name alone...

No, the part where I think it needs work is the "mechanics". The Raven Queen WAS someone else WAAAYYYYY back when. Then in theory since she's "new" again, somehow she died. That would make her a dead body back in the astral. Now, Kelemvor being a god of the dead.... he could maybe make a deal with Anubis (as guardian of dead gods) to gain the "essence"/"power" in order to imbue it to another divine entity who will in essence be SHARING his own portfolio. So, Kelemvor and Anubis give her this "kickstart" and she returns and she has the memories of say both Mystra and the Raven Queen.

Hell, we could also go with some kind of Persephone relationship where she has some ties to the house of magic still, and thus she has to spend part of her time with the god of Necromancy (Velsharoon)... but maybe as a goddess of "white necromancy" or maybe "blood magic" OR maybe she has to split her time as two aspects that are tied as Kiaransalee and The Raven Queen (in a kind of similar way as the Queen of the Seelie Court and Cegilune are somehow tied)... and this was the only way Anubis could help give Kelemvor what he wanted.

By the way, in this way, both the Raven Queen and Kiaransalee would share revenge as a portfolio. TRQ would get death and Kia would get undeath. Both would hate Orcus still. Note, this would put TRQ at odds with Bhaal. I would even possibly recommend building up Kia's following as a goddess of hags and Gloura and other dark fey and make her another "Queen of the Unseelie Court"... different from the Queen of Air and Darkness, but showing that the Court is made up of multiple rulers that are "dark fey". I hate to use the word "court" but hers could be the "Court of Vengeance and Death"

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 20 Aug 2017 14:13:37
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2017 :  13:58:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

In 4e, the Plane of Shadow is the Shadowfell. They are not distinct places, are one and the same, as per the Manual of Planes. The only difference is the name.

Yeah, the FRCG says that "Shar created the Shadowfell", but that makes no sense with the fact that the Dawn War is also a FR stuff, and the Shadowfell predates the Dawn War. So, that stuff of Shar "creating the Shadowfell" is Sharran propaganda, to the level of "Asmodeus ended the Blood War" (and we know that is not true. Even 4e products denied that).

As for the Shadowfell proper, mind, the concept was created with Forgotten Realms in mind, and later adapted and used in core products and the other 4e settings (this is revealed in Dragon 370). So, really dunno why they changed stuff, but was stuff created for the Realms and exported to 4e core, not the reverse.

Ah, the Shadowfell concept has been around a long time. Birthright was by far the one to make the first real attempt at defining it.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2017 :  02:50:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

BTW, here is an idea on how to make magic usable in Abeir without using meddling gods in that world (well, we can use gods in Abeir, but not as the source of arcane magic, as we need a way to explain why Abeirans were able to use magic before those gods appeared). I guess this can be useful to sleyvas as well.

There is this from Dragon 362:

"For eons, the use of magic in Faerûn was focused through a god of magic, most recently Mystra. Except for certain Netherese wizards of ancient days who learned the truth, most believed that no magic would be possible without such a deity."

So, there is. The netherese knew how to use raw magic. If those secrets somehow were rediscovered by at least one of the zulkirs, they can access raw magic even in Abeir (that we have to suppose, is the only form of arcane magic in that world). This also explains why Szass Tam was able to use magic even in the Wailing Years (as he was trained by Larloch).

I will use it to explain how the mages of Halruaa were somehow able to use magic even in Abeir. Since halruaans are of netherese heritage, is logical that they were aware of this knowledge. They just didn't use it because the Weave is more useful to cast spells. Or because we didn't saw them use it (?). But while on Abeir, they had to use it to survive.

I still want the Wailing Years to be difficult for the displaced Torilians in Abeir (because Torilians just owning Abeiran because reasons is boring). But after that, well, canon says the halruaans thrived. Maybe this will force the halruaans to threat sorcerers with more respect as well (in the first years, sorcerers will be the only ones using magic there), and will allow for the introduction of artificers and such, as in Abeir magic items are more widespread that magic practices. I see stuff like wizardry and sorcery become widespread only after the Spellplague, while the displaced Torilians will logically adopt the practices of the Abeirans in the meantime.

That can work to a degree. Especially since I have a Netherese enclave already involved (and one full of thieves, so they may have taken one of the Nether Scrolls).

That being said, I'm also going to want a "weave" getting developed in Abeir. By that, I mean access to some magic that's "advanced" and using some of the rules from Toril, and that its the actions of the gods of magic there that's organizing it. Maybe not right away.

Also, I don't WANT to have Torilians owning the world. I want them struggling to not be taken over by the forces in Abeir. However, I do see them having some upper hand in advancing in areas that were part of Toril that were less advanced, partly because of their magic, but also partly because of their mindset. This very much plays into their expansion in Katashaka (which I see as a bunch of hunter/gatherer societies with some groups that are more civilized... but they expand in the unorganized/tribal areas... and only in a small scale). I know I haven't showed any maps or anything, but my view of their holdings in Katashaka would be maybe 3% of the whole continent (if that much).

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 21 Aug 2017 02:51:30
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2017 :  05:00:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I don't know why this weird concept popped into my head - there was this picture of Caliban (Morlock from Xmen) where he was merged with Prof. X (it was a very convoluted story-line in which a wizard turned back time to the Hyborian Age - 'Medieval Avengers' were pretty cool) - the Wizard had basically turned him into a 'magical artifact' for finding super-powered beings (not just mutants, IIRC). It really has nothing at all to do with the topic, but that particular image - a 'poor anguished soul in torment, providing a service against his will' came to mind another time, when I was reading the Everis Cale books, when the Sojournor was capturing fiends and celestials and using them to make 'Weave Taps'. Another mental image I am getting - some powerful being 'frozen in horror (or just frozen), like how the celestials form a wall at the edge of universe (also Marvel Comics). They're all part of some vast wall, with their eyes and mouths open, with beams of light shooting out (as if they are screaming, but no-one can hear them).

Anyhow, those are the mental images that just popped into my head, and it made me think of those Weave Taps, and I thought - isn't that funny? Its a way of gathering and concentrating Weave-energy to be used somewhere else. So what if certain powerful people/beings on Abeir discovered a similar process - they may have captured primordials, Elder wyrrms, even gods, and are using them to to bring tiny amounts of Weave-energy into Abeir for their personal use. Basically, turning another being into just a 'magical battery'. I think there was a spelljamming helm that worked on similar principals (a Lifejammer?)

I just think it would be neat if your were to have a group of adventurers finding a strange 'cult' in Abeir, who could use magic (to a limited degree), and when the party goes to investigate, they find Murdane (or anyone else on the 'missing list') trapped and withering-away like a dessicated husk. They've been 'sucking her dry' (whatever Weave magic she had left in her, or somehow able to 'tap her' and access minute amounts of Weave energy). Kind of like combining the concept of a 'Weave Tap' with those Spellcruxes from College of Wizardry.

And what about the other 'long lost gods'? Is that the reason why Helm never found his love floating in the Astral? The Gods Lathander 'purged' were stunned and landed on Abeir?

Its a kinda cool, kinda gruesome way to finally tie-up some old loose ends, in horror-story fashion (I picture her becoming 'aware' for but a moment, and looking down at the characters and whispering, "Kill me... please... kill me..."

It would make for a good adventure to run in October.

And when Helm finds out, I'd hate to be the Morninglord. Aumanator would probably buy the popcorn for that one.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Aug 2017 17:41:05
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2017 :  05:46:01  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What? Did Helm had a missing lover? And here I though the guy was the boring one of the gods...

Seriously, though... I was thinking something similar. Though instead of using missing gods (that I had no idea they existed), I was thinking in using primordial corpses (a la Tymanchebar... yeah, if you ever wondered from where those dragonborn got their powerful artifacts, they scavenged Primordial tombs and used their remains-this is canon).

I was thinking the Halruaans used the heart/brains of a powerful primordial to create a fake mythallar to emulate the Weave in a given area (their country, in this case). Perhaps, a clan of dragonborn gave them this secret in exchange of allowing them living in their lands (safe and away from dragon overlords, the Shyran and the aberrant lords). This will allow me to develop Arkhosia in the Realms... mmmm....

But, as Abeirans may do not tell the difference between an Estelar and a Primordial...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 21 Aug 2017 05:50:03
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2017 :  13:02:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What? Did Helm had a missing lover? And here I though the guy was the boring one of the gods...

Seriously, though... I was thinking something similar. Though instead of using missing gods (that I had no idea they existed), I was thinking in using primordial corpses (a la Tymanchebar... yeah, if you ever wondered from where those dragonborn got their powerful artifacts, they scavenged Primordial tombs and used their remains-this is canon).

I was thinking the Halruaans used the heart/brains of a powerful primordial to create a fake mythallar to emulate the Weave in a given area (their country, in this case). Perhaps, a clan of dragonborn gave them this secret in exchange of allowing them living in their lands (safe and away from dragon overlords, the Shyran and the aberrant lords). This will allow me to develop Arkhosia in the Realms... mmmm....

But, as Abeirans may do not tell the difference between an Estelar and a Primordial...

One of the things I'm adding for this is the idea of having to tap into the dreams of powerful entities. In this case, it will be the dreams of a dying Mystra. This tapping into the dreams goes into some form of arcane focus that they then have to use to cast spells. Not sure if I like it, but I'm thinking maybe eventually someone on Abeir has to take over for Mystra as she finally "gives her all"... maybe even some construct of magic like an alias clone that was living in say Halruaa? Or maybe the Halruaans have to magically build Mystra a new body from a portion of Mystra I's blood which was secretly gathered during the Time of Troubles when she faced off against Helm using a process similar to the making of Alias (but with Velsharoon and Kelemvor instead of Moander providing the divine piece... hmmm, with the idea that we had for the Raven Queen this could be some interesting setup to get Midnight into TRQ, Mystra I back as Mystra and possibly Kia involved too).

That being said, up in Balduran Bay, I'm having a college of evocation that has captured a "Great Spirit" from that area who is essentially like a Primordial when you read his powers (think he was winter), and I was planning on them using him as they did the ancient artifact that was rumored to have been buried in Thay that went silent after the ToT. If I am having gods returning as weakened avatars, maybe they captured some from say the pantheons of Katashaka / Anchorome / Maztica / Lopango / Osse and possibly even some Primordials or powerful dragons as well.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 21 Aug 2017 13:08:40
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2017 :  17:50:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, thinking more on this - maybe 'tapping primordials' (sounds like my early twenties LOL) allows a mortal to access Raw magical energy (we've establish something to this effect elsewhere), but in the even rarer cases where someone got a hold of a somnambulant God (Estelar) - one who had a powerful connection to The Weave for many years - it could be used to tap-into the weave magic indirectly, in minute amounts.

And YES Zeromaru, we have many, MANY 'lost Gods' (I believe there are even two separate lists with that name), and I am extending the word 'God' to mean the broader definition of "anything that was considered a 'power source' in 4e". In the Taan (Hordelands) region, there is a place called, "The Cave of a 1000 Gods". I think that is a rather conservative estimate.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Aug 2017 18:06:30
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2017 :  20:21:52  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the compliments on my heretical lore.

Regarding the "Faithless" judgement, and Jergal's access to Kiaransalee/Raven Queen's divine form... I am suggesting that any soul that has attained divinity would be deemed "Faithless" because as a deity it would not and could not have a patron deity... normally when a deity dies it's form (including it's mortal soul, if it has one) goes to the Astral with Anubis, but in the excessively rare circumstance that a mortal soul is separated from it's divine form... The divine form may go to the Astral, but the Mortal soul would be redirected to the Fugue just like any other soul... It would have no patron god to claim it... So, the options would seem to me to be Asmodeus or the Wall...

Also, I am suggesting that perhaps the Fugue is partially coterminous with both the Astral and Shadowfell... Therefore, perhaps the divine forms of Undead Deities (beings that attained divinity after death, such as Kiaransalee/Raven Queen) are returned to the Fugue (since it is partially part of the Astral)...

Finally, I consider the Fugue to be a place outside of time... So, any relative measurements of time can all be true... It doesn't matter if something is described as a short time ago, or long time ago... It's all just some time in "the past"...

P.S.
If everyone likes my piece of heretical lore about the Raven Queen, I'll gladly submit it to be incorporated into the Candlekanon.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000