Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lake of Steam and the Border Kingdoms 1490s
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2017 :  17:52:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know anything about this 'great rain', but what if the Dread Rings (don't really know about them either - I need to remedy that ASAP) somehow 'corrupt the natural order', and even an overpower has trouble fixing it? Something even worse than 'magical chaos' (and now I'm rethinking those 'leftovers' from the ToT as well).
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tabaxi vs Wemics is interesting - I have a 'Kingdom of Catfolk' in my version of Kara-Tur (Petan, which is canon, but not a single mention of it or whats there, anywhere, in any source), but Wemics are not part of it. Perhaps catfolk are bit racist? Maybe they look down at other races, and view Wemics as some form of monstrosity? Like how Drow look at Driders (or at least, use to). I can see Catfolk being even more about 'beauty of form' than even then most bigoted elves.

Humans, etc, they probably view as 'inferior species', and perhaps even pity them, but Wemics might drive them into a rage. An 'insult' to their natural elegance.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Aug 2017 18:04:40
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2017 :  06:39:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I think the main Factions were: The Harpers, Order of the Gauntlet, Emerald Enclave, Lords' Alliance, and the Zhentarim. I mean when the primary focus of the current Forgotten Realms is largely the Sword Coast, Waterdeep, and maybe a bit of the Western Heartlands these mostly make sense (though the Emerald Enclave is a bit outta place, as they primarily ran out of the Chondalwood near the Vilhon Reach).

That is indeed the five factions. I would say though, that the events of The Reaver pave the way for a pretty big shake-up in the Emerald Enclave, and it's not unthinkable to have them reach out to druid circles elsewhere in Faerun in response to the events of the Sundering.
quote:
I'd love to see more emphasis on other, more villainous ones like the Eldreth Veluuthra (racist elves, HA!) or Wearers of Purple (and the Cult of the Dragon), and maybe more Red Wizards (hopefully more in-line with pre-4e versions *gasp*).

Although I'd love to see these organizations get more attention too, I think 5 is more than enough for the Adventurer's League program, and since that seems to be the focus of factions I doubt any more will be introduced in the same way the others had.

That said, plenty of room for such organizations in home games. It would be very easy to make these factions and put them up on the DM's Guild, if someone hasn't already done that.

As per the Red Wizards, I think things are slowly building towards a change in Thay. Dead in Thay (republished in TotYP) focused on rebel Red Wizards undermining Szass Tam, and Tyranny of Dragons also showed us a bit of that. They haven't raised their heads since (as far as I'm aware?), though they are set to make an appearance in Tomb of Annihilation. Perhaps we'll find out more then...

One of the big problems is that they ruined Thay (and by that I means literally ruined the land). Thay was always a land of plenty when it came to agriculture, thus the need for a lot of slaves. So, even if they have an uprising, it won't help the everday citizens who simply need to eat. Due to all the undead AND the ritual meant to destroy everything, I wouldn't be surprised if the land is infused with negative energy.

The Great Rain unlikely undid all, but the worst of the damage healing the land, but not enough for more dread rings.

While there may have been some magical content to the rain, I would be surprised if it undid the deathly infusion caused by a ritual meant to destroy the world. I'm thinking this requires time or some kind of serious funnel of positive material plane energy.... perhaps some kind of willing self-sacrifice by some positive/nurturing entity (or hell, maybe even a forced sacrifice).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2017 :  06:42:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I don't know anything about this 'great rain', but what if the Dread Rings (don't really know about them either - I need to remedy that ASAP) somehow 'corrupt the natural order', and even an overpower has trouble fixing it? Something even worse than 'magical chaos' (and now I'm rethinking those 'leftovers' from the ToT as well).
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tabaxi vs Wemics is interesting - I have a 'Kingdom of Catfolk' in my version of Kara-Tur (Petan, which is canon, but not a single mention of it or whats there, anywhere, in any source), but Wemics are not part of it. Perhaps catfolk are bit racist? Maybe they look down at other races, and view Wemics as some form of monstrosity? Like how Drow look at Driders (or at least, use to). I can see Catfolk being even more about 'beauty of form' than even then most bigoted elves.

Humans, etc, they probably view as 'inferior species', and perhaps even pity them, but Wemics might drive them into a rage. An 'insult' to their natural elegance.

Also bear in mind, competition for the same resources. Both see a gazelle. Both want to eat said gazelle. Humanity will eat corn or potatoes when they can't catch a gazelle. Elves will eat corn or potatoes generally INSTEAD of the gazelle. So, the wemics and the tabaxi might turn on each other out of simple competition.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000