Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lake of Steam and the Border Kingdoms 1490s
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2017 :  19:01:35  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So with all the talk about the Candlekeep Compendium and filing in holes left from 1385 until the Current year (1491 DR) I'm reminded of a very well thought out and detailed area called the Lake of Steam and the Border Kingdoms that dot the Southern edge of the lake. There were a series of excerpts that detailed this area found HERE and I really would love to delve into the happenings of the area in the last century.

Going from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide (4th Edition) we don't really get a lot in terms of detail. We know that the Arnrock, an active volcano to the north of the Lake of Steam (thus the reason for it's continual hot temperature) erupted in 1386 DR, wiping out the Quick Folk that had settled around the crater. On the Southern Shore, things continue to churn in terms of rotating power based on who's the most prominent adventurer group or powerful individual. So basically the same as it was before.

So what's been going on here? Or, more likely, what would you guys like to SEE what's been going on here?

Edited by - Diffan on 29 Jul 2017 19:01:57

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2017 :  21:31:54  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What you have read in the FRCG is the latests info we have about this particular area. They didn't developed it in Dragon Mag articles, and the SCAG don't mention it as well. Is like an empty canvas waiting to be painted on...

I don't have a great knowledge of this area in particular, but I guess the return of Halruaa would have affected it in some way. TEGG has created an adventure in Ormpur. I guess the developments of that adventure will also have repercussions here.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 29 Jul 2017 21:32:54
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2017 :  02:15:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ormpur is the first city you come to when you leave The Border Kingdoms (traveling south along the coast), so I'm not sure they'll touch on them (although if Ed's involved, it will touch on everything).

Here's the thing - Orpur is not there. Or, at least it wasn't there in 4e. That region was blasted and called 'Elfharrow'. Lapaliiya got 'squished' like so much else, and thats the northernmost settlement (although it may have been nominally independent - its been awhile sine I read Serpent Kingdoms). In fact, as long as they give a nod to the 4e lore (and don't just ignore it) it may have grown and be the 'sole survivor' of Lapaliiya (a place where any refugees might have fled).

As for the Border Kingdoms - I want more diversity. The 4e team nuked one of the few cool citystates with a non-human ruler (and replaced it with a citystate with a non-human ruler! Are those guys creative OR WHAT?!) How about an Orc (or half-orc) ruled settlement? A town of Ogres? (we have one of those nearby in Erlkazar thats 'neutral', not evil). How about a surface drow fortress? A village of man-hating Amazons? (is Ixinos still around?) Maybe even a 'Village of the Damned' - a place where really bad victims of the Spellplague can live in peace (Mongrelmen?)

Anything but another collection of fantasy-ish, human settlements (we can still have some of those - I just want MORE than that). What f the Border kingdoms was one of the few places the Spellplague left mostly alone? Groups may have flocked there from all over, and the place may be some sort of weird, 'melting pot' of cultures and races.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Jul 2017 03:54:08
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2017 :  03:32:44  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Here's the thing - Orpur is not there. Or, at least it wasn't there in 4e. That region was blasted and called 'Elfharrow'.

Ormpur was there in 4e, check the FRCG map. Elfharrow was where the Bandit Wastes and a bit of Lapaliiya were previously.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2017 :  04:00:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You made me look at that map. I HATE looking at that map. It makes me sad.

Yeah, it was like I was picturing it, but I hadn't remember seeing that Ormpur survived (as I thought, above, it was just north of the 'cataclysm zone').

As I am working on the map for this exact area, I've got some ideas in regards to Elfharrow, and the 'stuff came back' in 5e. I'll leave Ormpur and The Border Kingdoms alone (I've been trying to bring back Shaareach for 3 editions now, Dammit! )

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2017 :  23:41:18  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for the Border Kingdoms - I want more diversity. The 4e team nuked one of the few cool citystates with a non-human ruler (and replaced it with a citystate with a non-human ruler! Are those guys creative OR WHAT?!)

I'm not sure I understand where you're going with this? What citystate did 4e destroy and replace with another non-human ruler? But I certainly don't object to more diversity.

quote:

How about an Orc (or half-orc) ruled settlement? A town of Ogres? (we have one of those nearby in Erlkazar thats 'neutral', not evil). How about a surface drow fortress? A village of man-hating Amazons? (is Ixinos still around?) Maybe even a 'Village of the Damned' - a place where really bad victims of the Spellplague can live in peace (Mongrelmen?)

I wouldn't be opposed to some of these, however many have been done before (half-orc kingdoms, surface drow and half-drow, orgres, lizardfolk) and I'd worry if it would look far too much like a copy-paste of the other areas. The cool thing about the Border Kingdoms is that while it can still have similar aspects like being run by Orcs and Half-orcs their temperament doesn't need to match. The "kingdoms" were carved out from violence and strength of arms and magic, not peaceful negotiations (well most of them weren't). So the Might Makes Right is certainly a way many of these places would probably work.

Personally I'd love to challenge the outlook and view of so-called "goodly" races. An elven settlement from Elfharrow might be pretty violent towards any non-elves (cue Eldreth Veluuthra involvement). Or maybe more despondent and even cannibalistic savage Halflings (ala Dark Sun ones). This place, even with relatively little action, probably has seen some serious crap over the last century. Most of the Quick Folk have been wiped from the face of Faerūn and I can't assume decedents of their people are all too happy about it.

[quote]Originally posted by Markustay

Anything but another collection of fantasy-ish, human settlements (we can still have some of those - I just want MORE than that). What f the Border kingdoms was one of the few places the Spellplague left mostly alone? Groups may have flocked there from all over, and the place may be some sort of weird, 'melting pot' of cultures and races.

You mentioned Spellplague and even though the Sundering "fixed" it (and I use that word as loosely as I possibly can) I can't imagine EVERY person who's Spellscarred and Plage-changed is simply "fixed" too. Which means that there are still those who've are afflicted with the damage of it. Maybe they found sanctuary among themselves and created a colony or maybe they're fighting between each other (sane, mildly plagued vs. the one's who've gone off the deep end)?

Literally NOTHING about this area has been mapped out (literally and figuratively) since 4e and there wasn't that much to go from in 4e besides 2 pages in the FRCG. So we can pretty much do/write/say/imagine whatever "We" the fans of the Realms want.

So in accordance with some of the ideas like Candlekanon, I'd say we stick to the current timeline (or move it to 1500-DR, whatever) and go from there. Try to say away from aspects of Rules and Mechanics (some people still use 3.5, Pathfinder, 4e, 5e, AD&D 2e, etc.) so the more inclusive that part is, the better IMO.

For my part, I believe I'll go through each of the very detailed and amazingly written LORE from Ed's Border Kingdoms archive and maybe fill in the history from when it was made (1372-ish) up through 1491 DR. And we can go from there?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2017 :  04:04:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not saying make it some silly 'every single settlement is a different race' type of thing - just sprinkle a couple in here and there, where it makes sense.

Perhaps give them some sort of 'common enemy' to keep them all from killing each other? I'm meaning to evict the Thri-Kreen from the Shaar (and give it over mostly to Wemics, who I want to move out of everywhere else). Maybe the displaced thr-Kreen are making trouble for some of the outlying settlements? (could be that during the Spellplague, they turned to eating humanoids?) I think even full-blooded orcs would ally against something as alien as that.

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I'm not sure I understand where you're going with this? What citystate did 4e destroy and replace with another non-human ruler? But I certainly don't object to more diversity.
khrulis (half-orc) of Airspur.

quote:

Personally I'd love to challenge the outlook and view of so-called "goodly" races. An elven settlement from Elfharrow might be pretty violent towards any non-elves (cue Eldreth Veluuthra involvement). Or maybe more despondent and even cannibalistic savage Halflings (ala Dark Sun ones). This place, even with relatively little action, probably has seen some serious crap over the last century. Most of the Quick Folk have been wiped from the face of Faerūn and I can't assume decedents of their people are all too happy about it.
AGREED

How about a hybrid of Athasian halflings and Eberron Halflings - tiny raptor-riding cannibals! The Shaar will never be the same.

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Jul 2017 04:11:15
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2017 :  11:43:45  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The Lake of Steam. Far to the south and east of the Sword Coast, the Lake of Steam is more accurately an inland sea, its waters tainted by volcanism and un-drinkable. Around its perimeter is a conglomeration of city-states and minor baronies typified by the shifting domains known as the Border Kingdoms. Here, along the southern shore of the lake, explorers and fortune seekers squander their amassed wealth building cas-tles, founding communities, and drawing loyal vassals to them-only to have all those good works disappear within a generation or two. In some cases, one of these realms is fortunate to be saved from its inevitable de-cline by another group of successful adventurers, who inject enough wealth and wisdom to keep the enterprise going a few more decades."

Lake of Steam and the Border Kingdoms are mentioned in the SCAG.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2017 :  13:52:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not saying make it some silly 'every single settlement is a different race' type of thing - just sprinkle a couple in here and there, where it makes sense.

Perhaps give them some sort of 'common enemy' to keep them all from killing each other? I'm meaning to evict the Thri-Kreen from the Shaar (and give it over mostly to Wemics, who I want to move out of everywhere else). Maybe the displaced thr-Kreen are making trouble for some of the outlying settlements? (could be that during the Spellplague, they turned to eating humanoids?) I think even full-blooded orcs would ally against something as alien as that.

quote:

quote:

AGREED

How about a hybrid of Athasian halflings and Eberron Halflings - tiny raptor-riding cannibals! The Shaar will never be the same.

On the Thri-Kreen idea, one of the things I plan to do over in Anchorome is that there's the "land of the insect men" to the northeast of the Pasocada Basin (i.e. "City of Gold") area. So, I plan on throwing thri-kreen, spellweavers, Bacar (ant-people), Tlincalli (scorpion folk), and Abeil (bee people). I may make up some kind of "caterpillar turned moth" folk as well. Now, just because they're all insect folk does NOT mean they get along. In fact, I'm picturing the bee folk having a lush land filled with flowers and vegetation and them not getting along with the others (but maybe they do get along with the Poscadari elves).

In this mix, I see the spellweavers as the dominant, with thri-kreen and bacar as soldiers. Ankhegs may be kept as pets, as well as things like fire beetles and giant beetles. The Tlincalli I see as a separate group, and possibly they hunt all of them. Was actually picturing adding a spider group for same, but that may be making it just a little too much (hell, what I already have may be too much).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2017 :  14:45:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

"The Lake of Steam. Far to the south and east of the Sword Coast, the Lake of Steam is more accurately an inland sea, its waters tainted by volcanism and un-drinkable. Around its perimeter is a conglomeration of city-states and minor baronies typified by the shifting domains known as the Border Kingdoms. Here, along the southern shore of the lake, explorers and fortune seekers squander their amassed wealth building cas-tles, founding communities, and drawing loyal vassals to them-only to have all those good works disappear within a generation or two. In some cases, one of these realms is fortunate to be saved from its inevitable de-cline by another group of successful adventurers, who inject enough wealth and wisdom to keep the enterprise going a few more decades."

Thank you for checking Gyor. The good thing is that, maybe more than any other part of the Realms, the Border Kingdoms have practically remained untouched for the most part since 3rd Edition. On one hand that's pretty awesome because it means there's a pretty straightforward element to draw from, the other hand though, just shows how little time and thought the designers of the past 3 editions into this area aside from Ed.

@ sleyvas that sounds pretty cool. Now does each insect race have traits that we commonly see with the normal insects? I'd picture bee-people to be pretty militaristic and orderly with a queen-bee type Matron in charge of the whole hive and maybe something similar with the ant-people. Scorpion folk sound like ranging nomads.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2017 :  14:50:38  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd be down with that. When I delve more into the area I look to see what sort of dominant non-human race was prevalent in the area. Maybe they were able to carve out something for themselves and create a somewhat stable barony, sort of like Obould did with the Orcs in the North?

quote:

I like it! The amount of turmoil and strife the people in the area have seen since the year of Blue Fire would've been intense.

quote:

quote:

Huh, I always thought Airspur was specifically a 4E thing. The more you know!

quote:

Are there raptors in the Shaar and south of the Lake? If so that'd be awesome.

Edited by - Diffan on 31 Jul 2017 14:51:28
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2017 :  16:47:29  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AFAIK, 4e Airspur was an improvement over what was there before, though (that's why the 4e version remained the same in 5e, I dare to say).

I like the idea of the Talenta halflings of the Tablelands of the Shaar.

quote:

Are there raptors in the Shaar and south of the Lake? If so that'd be awesome.

If weren't before the Spellplague, we can always say that the species was imported from Abeir.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2017 :  16:51:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, there are raptors. Ed even has raptors in the Stonelands. Considering most other 'dinos' aren't around in The North (they are in the Chultan peninsula, which directly connects to The Shaar), I would hazard to guess there is some sort of Portal/Gate somewhere in The Shaar or Chult that is allowing these creatures to keep appearing (in large enough numbers to maintain a stable population) in the Stonelands. Dragons tend to like to hunt in The Shaar, not only because of its nice, wide-open (and uncivilized) spaces, but also because it has large savannah-like herds, which include species of prehistoric herbivores (and naturally, some prehistoric predators - most likely the smaller ones - have also wandered across the jungles of the Chultan 'arm' to hunt that same game). Of course, that doesn't mean the dwarves of The Great Rift don't have to occasionally battle a T-Rex (from their griffon mounts - now THERE is a picture!)

Also, by giving them sort of 'alien' common enemy, they don't have to be friends. In fact, every settlement can resent or even hate every other settlement's guts, but they would have to 'keep the peace' (albeit, a fragile one) to keep the 'creatures' from overrunning them all. If you are familiar with the shows Babylon 5, or even the more recent Defiance, you can see that sort of social system in-play. Its actually a fairly common trope ("The enemy of my enemy is my friend"). People don't have to like each other when everyone's survival is at stake.

Lastly, (and here comes the unpopular suggestion) why change anything? Its not like this place being 'frozen in time' (literally or figuratively) would impact the greater Realms at all. I think the designers ignored it for just that reason. It already was developed enough, and nothing major happened there. We can just take everything in Powers of Faerūn and say its all in 1490 (or 1500... whatever). Its like having to re-do something that doesn't actually need re-doing. You could take the lazy approach and simply say all that lore always applied to the 5e Realms (retcon and move on), or, you could say that region went through its own weirdness. Either it moved forward in-time, whole cloth, or it was 'encased' in something that created a time-stop effect (I'm thinking of the Amber from the Fringe TV show).

Or you could combine the two; the amber-like effect (or 'magical stasis field', whatever) only hit certain places (coincidentally, most or all of the ones detailed already), but most of the area was left to the normal Spellplague and century. Thus, you could still use everything already written about the place, and mix-in a few new places just to liven things up. Its a cheap fix, but its easy, and it would save a LOT of work. You can even wrap a story around it - when the Spellplague first struck, a large meteor exploded just above the Border kingdoms, showering the area with strange rocks. These were actually parts of a primordial - Kronos. Many of the settlements gathered bits of the stuff to investigate (it gave off a strong magical aura), but then the cerulean wave washed over the Border Kingdoms, and all the places that had gathered large amounts of the stuff became time-stopped. It wasn't until Ao waved his magic wand and reset the world that the effect was dispelled, and now all those people just 'came back' with no memories of the past century (and only dim recollections of the early Spellplague).

Of course, there is still the matter of all those strange, glowing rocks...

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Jul 2017 16:54:44
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2017 :  19:11:50  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, there are raptors. Ed even has raptors in the Stonelands. Considering most other 'dinos' aren't around in The North (they are in the Chultan peninsula, which directly connects to The Shaar), I would hazard to guess there is some sort of Portal/Gate somewhere in The Shaar or Chult that is allowing these creatures to keep appearing (in large enough numbers to maintain a stable population) in the Stonelands. Dragons tend to like to hunt in The Shaar, not only because of its nice, wide-open (and uncivilized) spaces, but also because it has large savannah-like herds, which include species of prehistoric herbivores (and naturally, some prehistoric predators - most likely the smaller ones - have also wandered across the jungles of the Chultan 'arm' to hunt that same game). Of course, that doesn't mean the dwarves of The Great Rift don't have to occasionally battle a T-Rex (from their griffon mounts - now THERE is a picture!)

Very true. I forgot how close the Great Rift was to that location.

quote:

Also, by giving them sort of 'alien' common enemy, they don't have to be friends. In fact, every settlement can resent or even hate every other settlement's guts, but they would have to 'keep the peace' (albeit, a fragile one) to keep the 'creatures' from overrunning them all. If you are familiar with the shows Babylon 5, or even the more recent Defiance, you can see that sort of social system in-play. Its actually a fairly common trope ("The enemy of my enemy is my friend"). People don't have to like each other when everyone's survival is at stake.

I feel like this is a good ploy to involve the Plaguechanged monstrosities that have been attacking the northern part of the Lake of Steam.

quote:

Lastly, (and here comes the unpopular suggestion) why change anything? Its not like this place being 'frozen in time' (literally or figuratively) would impact the greater Realms at all. I think the designers ignored it for just that reason. It already was developed enough, and nothing major happened there. We can just take everything in Powers of Faerūn and say its all in 1490 (or 1500... whatever). Its like having to re-do something that doesn't actually need re-doing. You could take the lazy approach and simply say all that lore always applied to the 5e Realms (retcon and move on), or, you could say that region went through its own weirdness. Either it moved forward in-time, whole cloth, or it was 'encased' in something that created a time-stop effect (I'm thinking of the Amber from the Fringe TV show).

Or you could combine the two; the amber-like effect (or 'magical stasis field', whatever) only hit certain places (coincidentally, most or all of the ones detailed already), but most of the area was left to the normal Spellplague and century. Thus, you could still use everything already written about the place, and mix-in a few new places just to liven things up. Its a cheap fix, but its easy, and it would save a LOT of work. You can even wrap a story around it - when the Spellplague first struck, a large meteor exploded just above the Border kingdoms, showering the area with strange rocks. These were actually parts of a primordial - Kronos. Many of the settlements gathered bits of the stuff to investigate (it gave off a strong magical aura), but then the cerulean wave washed over the Border Kingdoms, and all the places that had gathered large amounts of the stuff became time-stopped. It wasn't until Ao waved his magic wand and reset the world that the effect was dispelled, and now all those people just 'came back' with no memories of the past century (and only dim recollections of the early Spellplague).

All intriguing ideas. I actually had thought of just importing large portions or even taking the events that's been going on from the articles whole-hog into the 1490's timeline. Since nothing really has changed, it's not a terrible idea and does save a lot of energy. This is the part where I get frustrated because it would take some significant time to re-write and update the region, trying to do so in a way that makes sense, and still retains the area's feel yet just 'porting over all the stuff from 3e with only a few major updates (the Volcano erupting, for example) and keeping everything the same just seems.....lazy (which it is, of course). I feel this is a cool opportunity to play with the setting in a way that can be embraced and added upon by all.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2017 :  01:47:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Thank you for checking Gyor. The good thing is that, maybe more than any other part of the Realms, the Border Kingdoms have practically remained untouched for the most part since 3rd Edition. On one hand that's pretty awesome because it means there's a pretty straightforward element to draw from, the other hand though, just shows how little time and thought the designers of the past 3 editions into this area aside from Ed.

@ sleyvas that sounds pretty cool. Now does each insect race have traits that we commonly see with the normal insects? I'd picture bee-people to be pretty militaristic and orderly with a queen-bee type Matron in charge of the whole hive and maybe something similar with the ant-people. Scorpion folk sound like ranging nomads.

The Abeil come from the 3rd edition Monster Manual II, and you can see a wiki entry here for quick reference. They have vassals, soldiers, and the Queen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abeil

The Tlincalli (scorpion folk) are originally from Maztica and were primarily found in the underdark. These however, I'd have on the surface and in the underdark as well. They would work in small tribes hunting and eating their fellows (and any humans or Poscadar elves they come across).

The Bacar (ant men) are also from Maztica, and yes, they have a hive mind with a queen. My take here was going to be that the spellweavers have taken over the queen's position magically (exactly how undecided), effectively hijacking their tribes. The average bacar however isn't intelligent enough to understand the difference, and so they simply do as they are ordered.

The Thri-Kreen are simply happy to serve the spellweavers as long as it means they are fed. The bacar serve the community and the Thri-Kreen are the soldiers for the most part.

Then below all this are the animals and pets of the communities, which are just simply insect vermin of many sorts (big and small). I could for instance picture Thri-Kreen mounted on a giant stag beetle for instance. I could also picture giant fireflies or fire beetles travelling with a party of thri-kreen hunters at night to give them light to see by. It could be worth it to do some insect research to see what all might be useful here.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2017 :  01:57:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One thing to bear in mind is that the "underchasm" only ate up the Eastern Shaar. Now, I'm going on the idea that things didn't "collapse" like people thought and the sages simply got it wrong. Basically, the "underchasm" either existed in Abeir OR empty space transferred to that portion of the Eastern Shaar (maybe Entropy destroyed that section of Abeir?). So, basically where most the underchasm was, those areas transferred to Abeir.

However, the western Shaar was still in Toril, and it got devastated by the lack of rivers (becoming the Shaar desolation). Now, Grumbar's blessing may have made it all nice again (and personally, I like that idea... maybe its back to being savannah), but I don't think we can necessarily just hand wave it away and say nothing happened without it feeling heavy handed.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2017 :  07:03:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if it was like a normal savanna (very Earth-like) before the Spellplague, and now its reverted to something even more than just pre-3e. What if its gone pre-Sundering? So, the animals there would all be more Earth's pliocene. In other words, all Dire versions of normal critter types (and still some dinosaurs to boot).

Then we get primitive, cannibalistic, raptor-riding halflings (Cave-Hin? )

The canyon may actually be back to a cavern (although I believe the official intent is that its the way it was in 1e/2e). The 'powers that be' could have rolled-it-back further then they meant to (so perhaps overpowers aren't as infallible as we are lead to believe). Or there could be a 'time stutter' effect going on (more pieces of the primordial Kronos having fallen all over the Shaar as well?) So we could have stuff that looked just like it did in 1e/2e, with some stuff 'leftover' from 4e, and even a bunch of stuff 'returned' from periods in time we know nothing about (TRUE 'Dark Elves' in the Forest {Jungle} of Amtar?) Maybe even stuff that dates to the Creatori (Creator Races), like Fey ruins, a Sarrukh fortress, floating 'nests' of aeriee, and Lovecratian Batrachi shapeshifters infesting the waterways - I can see them using 'pools' as gates, even ones as small as a puddle - to pull victims into their underwater 'houses of horror'. A heavy downpour would become a nightmare because of all the potential gates everywhere (Imagine your characters shock when it begins to rain, and people look frightened and start running for their lives?)

Now imagine a newly-formed, small (2' round) puddle next to a character, and claw-like squishy hand reaches out and grabs them by the ankle...

We could have so much fun with the Shining (Savage) South. Move over Chult, you've just lost your crown, 'cause you ain't the only 'primitive' game in town.

EDIT:
And like I've said elsewhere, we no longer have to limit ourselves to 'the past', or just Abeir, we an borrow from ANYWHERE (the WotC/Hasbro owns the rights to). I'd love to see a piece of Mirrodin (MtG) enter the Shaar. The Razor-grass is very cool, and leonine are smexy.

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Aug 2017 16:30:19
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2017 :  12:52:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What if it was like a normal savanna (very Earth-like) before the Spellplague, and now its reverted to something even more than just pre-3e. What if its gone pre-Sundering? In other words, the animals there would all be more Earth's pliocene. In other words, all Dire versions of normal critter types (and still some dinosaurs to boot).

Then we get primitive, cannibalistic, raptor-riding halflings (Cave-Hin? )

The canyon may actually be back to a cavern (although I believe the official intent is that its the way it was in 1e/2e). The 'powers that be' could have rolled-it-back further then they meant to (so perhaps overpowers aren't as infallible as we are lead to believe). Or there could be a 'time stutter' effect going on (more pieces of the primordial Kronos having fallen all over the Shaar as well?) So we could have stuff that ooked just like it did in 1e/2e, with some stuff 'leftover' from 4e, and even a bunch of stuff 'returned' from periods in time we know nothing about (TRUE 'Dark Elves' in the Forest {Jungle} of Amtar?) Maybe even stuff that dates to the Creatori (Creator Races), like Fey ruins, a Sarrukh fortress, floating 'nests' of aeriee, and Lovecratian Batrachi shapeshifters infesting the waterways - I can see them using 'pools' as gates, even ones as small as a puddle - to pull victims into their underwater 'houses of horror'. A heavy downpour would become a nightmare because of all the potential gates everywhere (Imagine your characters shock when it begins to rain, and people look frightened and start running for their lives?)

Now imagine a newly-formed, small (2' round) puddle next to a character, and claw-like squishy hand reaches out and grabs them by the ankle...

We could have so much fun with the Shining (Savage) South. Move over Chult, you've just lost your crown, 'cause you ain't the only 'primitive' game in town.

EDIT:
And like I've said elsewhere, we no longer have to limit ourselves to 'the past', or just Abeir, we an borrow from ANYWHERE (the WotC/Hasbro owns the rights to). I'd love to see a piece of Mirrodin (MtG) enter the Shaar. The Razor-grass is very cool, and leonine are smexy.

Lol, for a lot of that, you just basically described where I'm going in Katashaka for the center area (Manu-Ni-Maloa, this center area of Katashaka, surrounded by mountains, its interior inhabited by the nyama-nummo and those that worship them). So, I'd rather not duplicate it in the Shaar personally. Most of these nyama-nummo are sleeping/dreaming away the centuries, and other cultures have heard of them and call them "gods". Of which this is what I've come up with for a list of these nyama-nummo

Mhairshaulk, a giant snake
served by Yuan-Ti and/or other snake folk. Maybe have weresnakes.

Ramenos, lord of the Batrachi
served by grung and grippli and sivs

Camazotz, Beast Lord of Bats
served by bainligors, werebats, and a tribe of daemonfey. Recently making inroads into Lopango jungle and converting worship of captured drow. Have their cult have an infatuation with blood, darkness, and cannibalism.

Ragarra, a gargantuan, winged half-dragon deinosuchus
This dinosaur like half-dragon crocodile named Ragarra is served by crocodilians

Gozirra, the giant spineback reptile which spits lightning and roars thunder;
Served by a tribe of half-blue dragon lizard folk that have spiny backs.

Tarrask, the giant rending horror
served by raptor-like saurials and lizard folk.

Kaeng, the gargantous, bonespur covered ape
Served by bigfoot-like humanoids (Alaghi)

Gabara, the giant fire-breathing snapping turtle
served by a variation of bullywug that has grown a shell like a turtle.

Groedan, the giant pterasaur with the resounding shriek
served by pterafolk

Ghidoera, the many headed dragon-like beast
served by Ettins who keep hydras as watchdogs.

Kee'gah, the mighty panther

A gargantuan displacer beast, but with snakeheaded tentacles like a Kamadan and bonespurs. Served by bloodthirsty tabaxi and wereleopards who capture beings of other tribes and convert them into wereleopards.

Heresa Hesi, the Vulture King
A giant vulture with some shadow and necrotic powers served by Vulture folk and kenku who keep an army of shadows/spirits and involve themselves as warlocks and spirit shamans using local spirits. Maybe they keep giant ravens and vultures that they ride. He has a predisposition for gems and his people are required to gather them to him. Give some kind of gem magic to his culture.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2017 :  13:41:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although, if I think on the above (after looking up Pleistocene), if you had the shaar filled with dire mammals and say giant hawks, eagles, rocs, and large hummingbirds, bluebirds, starlings, etc... and not so much the dinosaurs and lizardy stuff that could make it a very interesting area. I can see it being an area with "great game hunters" coming there and "anti-poachers" who oppose them.

If you did this, I'm picturing that the grass here grows taller and faster (Grumbar's blessing on the soil?). That way you could have wooly mammoth's but still have them having something to eat. Maybe some folk come down here wanting to steal the soil, thinking it will benefit their home, only to find that it loses its essence when removed. Then having halflings living in this high grass (maybe they even make temporary homes using it while roaming)

BTW, in just looking at "birds of Africa" I have to say I just looked at a Hildebrandt's starling those birds are beautiful and almost rainbow like.... and yet nothing like a parrot. Those things are beautiful, and I am now gonna be obsessed with them for the next twenty minutes probably. If anything, I can see displaced halflings from Luiren riding a medium sized "dire starling". That way we're not stealing the kewl from Eberron, but rather coming up with something that works for us. Throw in some halflings riding dire savanna hares (medium size) and using their giant ears to guide them AND/OR riding dire Bush Squirrels (medium size) that like to go into trees. Maybe halflings pretty much have to ride everywhere just to be able to see where they are going with the grass so tall.

Also, if it were still Savannah like BUT it had these ENORMOUS trees periodically (like a tree that you can see from miles away, thinking maybe 20 throughout the entirety of the eastern Shaar... or even just say 3) that might be interesting. Especially if these tree areas are served by plant beings that want to protect them. Maybe they believe the tree is sentient, and it probably is, and that its just "dreaming"... and maybe periodically it dreams a new plant being into existence (maybe even new species of just regular plants that these plant people feel an urgent need to replant elsewhere).

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 01 Aug 2017 13:53:57
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2017 :  14:42:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several years back, there was someone wanting to have a minotaur kingdom in the Realms... After much discussion, we had hashed out a hidden city-state in the heart of the Qurth Forest, inhabited by minotaurs and gnomes (I don't recall exactly how the gnomes got into the mix, but I seem to recall that their illusions helped the city stay hidden). We had a partial backstory worked out, too.

And then the person who wanted the whole thing fell silent, and it kinda petered out after that. I want to get that one going again, but my free time is far from copious.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6203

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2017 :  16:42:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my purpose in making the Shaar VERY interesting - aside from the fact that EVERYTHING in an RPG setting should be interesting - is that no-one is ever going to go to Katashaka. NO-ONE.* Its going to prove as useful as Maztica was, or even Laerakond (Returned Abeir). In fact, thats why I am proposing (for the CandleKanon) we bring Laerakond to a spot right off of Chult (which may even generate some interest in FR groups adventuring in Zakhara - something that never saw traction in earlier editions).

And yeah, I haven't really seen too many settings - aside from ones that were purposefully 'savage/primitive' as a whole - doing an 'early mammals' (I can't for the life of me remember the other word for that era of creatures - a word that saw much more common usage when I was a kid, but fell out of favor in the past decade or so) region.

@Wooly - I'd be down for that. I love me some minotaurs, and I've already said, I plan to do one or two 'centaur realms' moving forward (I'm thinking the two should have some ancient hatred going on, like dwarves and orcs).

EDIT:
As for 'tall grasses' - I love the idea of Cavelings (Dire Hin? ) hiding in them. I picture them using body paints like some African and Aussie tribes, with B&W striping, similar to a zebra's coloration. They'd be nearly invisible in tall grass. And if they are throwback Ghostwise halflings, maybe they are also eerily silent (they communicate through a very primitive form of telepathy/empathy).

Picture a bunch of them running through the grass, like that scene with the raptors from the 1st Jurassic Park movie, and they jump out and take you down, and then they're on top of you... and smile with pointed teeth. Not a good smile, the kind of smile you give a nice filet mignon.

I can picture goblins running and screaming from those things, terrified (and if we go with something like those mirrodin goblins, which are similar to Warmachine/Iron Kingdoms goblins, you'd have a fun reversal of the common fantasy trope).

And I was just reading stuff about prehistoric animals as well - there were two-meter long 'rats' that ate small dinosaurs!

EDITS:
Too bad we couldn't swap the Turmites for the Halruaans. I think both could benefit from that. A nation of dark-skinned mages would be pretty awesome down there for 5e. Then again, dd we really ever have anything about skin coloration in Halruaa? Where've they been for the past century? Even without us finagling the known stuff - 'lost century' and magical chaos - those ex-Netherese have been down there for like 1500 years or so; you'd think their skin pigmentation would have grown darker in that time, being so close to the equator and all (magical 'sunblock' unguents?)

*Please don't take that as any sort of 'dis', its just the hard truth. I wanted to put so much effort into K-T, the Hordelands, and the Utter East back in the day, but then I realized almost no-one would be using any of it. Even Kara-Tur gets almost no love (people like it, but no-one is using it). Maybe not 'no-one' but close enough to that number not to matter. You may be better-ioff converting a bunch of stuff you have and applying it to Chult and The Shaar (which I am psuedo-officially redubbing 'The Savage South').

I really like that list of 'Savage Gods'.

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Aug 2017 20:23:48
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2017 :  22:28:24  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Halruaa was unchanged by a century in Abeir. I can see dragonborn and genasi living among its population, unorthodox magical practices (they were in Abeir, their magic practices would have to adapt for an environment with no Weave—I can see a lot of swordmages [eldritch knights in 5e parlance], artificers and sorcerers, and just a minority of old school wizards). Maybe exotic animals from Abeir as well.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2017 :  00:37:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, my purpose in making the Shaar VERY interesting - aside from the fact that EVERYTHING in an RPG setting should be interesting - is that no-one is ever going to go to Katashaka. NO-ONE.* Its going to prove as useful as Maztica was, or even Laerakond (Returned Abeir). In fact, thats why I am proposing (for the CandleKanon) we bring Laerakond to a spot right off of Chult (which may even generate some interest in FR groups adventuring in Zakhara - something that never saw traction in earlier editions).

And yeah, I haven't really seen too many settings - aside from ones that were purposefully 'savage/primitive' as a whole - doing an 'early mammals' (I can't for the life of me remember the other word for that era of creatures - a word that saw much more common usage when I was a kid, but fell out of favor in the past decade or so) region.

@Wooly - I'd be down for that. I love me some minotaurs, and I've already said, I plan to do one or two 'centaur realms' moving forward (I'm thinking the two should have some ancient hatred going on, like dwarves and orcs).

EDIT:
As for 'tall grasses' - I love the idea of Cavelings (Dire Hin? ) hiding in them. I picture them using body paints like some African and Aussie tribes, with B&W striping, similar to a zebra's coloration. They'd be nearly invisible in tall grass. And if they are throwback Ghostwise halflings, maybe they are also eerily silent (they communicate through a very primitive form of telepathy/empathy).

Picture a bunch of them running through the grass, like that scene with the raptors from the 1st Jurassic Park movie, and they jump out and take you down, and then they're on top of you... and smile with pointed teeth. Not a good smile, the kind of smile you give a nice filet mignon.

I can picture goblins running and screaming from those things, terrified (and if we go with something like those mirrodin goblins, which are similar to Warmachine/Iron Kingdoms goblins, you'd have a fun reversal of the common fantasy trope).

And I was just reading stuff about prehistoric animals as well - there were two-meter long 'rats' that ate small dinosaurs!

EDITS:
Too bad we couldn't swap the Turmites for the Halruaans. I think both could benefit from that. A nation of dark-skinned mages would be pretty awesome down there for 5e. Then again, dd we really ever have anything about skin coloration in Halruaa? Where've they been for the past century? Even without us finagling the known stuff - 'lost century' and magical chaos - those ex-Netherese have been down there for like 1500 years or so; you'd think their skin pigmentation would have grown darker in that time, being so close to the equator and all (magical 'sunblock' unguents?)

*Please don't take that as any sort of 'dis', its just the hard truth. I wanted to put so much effort into K-T, the Hordelands, and the Utter East back in the day, but then I realized almost no-one would be using any of it. Even Kara-Tur gets almost no love (people like it, but no-one is using it). Maybe not 'no-one' but close enough to that number not to matter. You may be better-ioff converting a bunch of stuff you have and applying it to Chult and The Shaar (which I am psuedo-officially redubbing 'The Savage South').

I really like that list of 'Savage Gods'.

No offense taken. I've wondered the same thing. Truthfully, I'm more writing it for the fun of the writing (which is why I more or less started taking vast swathes of it and just sharing it up here). With portals between the Tharchs, it would be a little more viable though (as in hey, I need you to go get X that's only found in Katashaka/Anchorome, etc...)

Still, I can't help but notice things like Chult getting attention, etc.. right now, and I half wonder if its not us sitting here talking about Maztica and how to improve it, etc... that's not spurring some of it. For instance, I found it really odd that a majority of the creatures that I've specifically mentioned as looking for OR that I saw a lot of people developing versions of for DMs Guild suddenly ended up in Volo's Guide to Monsters (I literally had mentioned that I was looking for about 50% of what's in there). I think we have lurkers here. I think they take some of our ideas and kind of discuss them and spin them in other ways (which is exactly what we do with what they put out).

I also notice things like red wizards being all over the place as well, because we're told that some will be in Chult too. Now its not as organized as I'm picturing the United Tharchs, but I honestly don't think they'd ever do what I've written up.... because I've written it up. Its the catch 22 of things. They probably feel like they can't outright use an idea that's put forth in fanon BECAUSE its put forth in fanon.... unless they get the guy on the payroll somehow, and they'll never be able to pay me enough for my time. That is of course why I like DMs Guild as a concept, because we can share stuff and if you honestly don't care about the money you can do what you like (within their defined limits) without it being some major issue.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2017 :  13:31:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this is the thread where we had mentioned not knowing much about Osse. If not, forgive my jumping about.

By the way, if ANYWHERE in the realms screams "it came from Abeir" it would be two places in my book. First, the importation of immigrants into Calimshan with the genies, but that would be just the people and not the location. Also, just to throw out there, it might be interesting if certain malfunctioning portals on Toril that say lost people actually dumped them in a corresponding location in Abeir.

The second would be the entire physical location of Zakhara and the outlying islands of the crowded sea. Given the whole allotment of genies everywhere who don't like dragons.... Given the worship of the elemental lords (especially Grumbar with the geomancers) that was prevalent in the area... It wouldn't surprise me if the area didn't transfer here just a few millennia back, and the destruction that happened as a result of that movement would have caused the loss of historical data past the last millennia or two. However, if that were true, you'd expect that we would hear stories of a steelsky (which maybe there are and no one ever documented them).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2017 :  21:04:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, because of the whole 'factions' thing (which just feels so artificial for The Realms), we now have Red Wizards and worse, Emerald Enclave, EVERYWHERE. On the other hand, I can see that they are at least trying to broaden the 'playing field' (quite literally) by doing so, and also with their new focus on the Chultan peninsula.

They must have realized the same thing I did (or rather, I realized what they did a long time ago) - no-one is going to Maztica, or Katashaka, or even Kara-Tur or Malatra. They probably aren't even going as far as the Hordelands. So now they are taking whatever they have developed for those areas (what little there is) and are applying it closer to home, so instead of shrinking "a basically empty area" (the 3e maps), they've decided to make the south worth playing in, which is GREAT. If Chult, The Shar, the Old Empires, and the Shining South (now the Savage South) can be turned into this sort of 'wild, untamed frontier' (like how The North was meant to be), it could be amazing. I think that's been their plan since the tail-end of 3e - the even mentioned the Tlincalis coming to Faerūn in the GHotR. There is going to be no need to go so far away - the south is far enough. They've even brought the Shou (and Thay, etc) into the Heartlands, making it easier for DMs to use 'the toys'.

As for 'the factions', I just want to clarify: Its not that FR didn't have them. in fact, we are KNOWN for our 'clandestine groups', more than any other setting I can think of. And therein lies the problem. One of the things I would like to have done with a new CKC - and hopefully we can find room for on the CKwiki - is more factions. Bring back all those other groups that have been pushed to the side. I can understand where they are coming from - they can't present people with too many choices in the official material, because that would take design resources away from the ones they have. They can do 'just five' better than they can do 20 (if you are unfamiliar with how it works, your character's goals, and things they get experience for, are affected by all that). What I am thinking is that we add some more, maybe a few at a time (Kraken Society, Knights of the Shield, the Adventurer's Guild, the Fire knives/thieves' Guild, the Rundeen {sp?}, The Unseen, Cult of the Dragon, Scaled Ones, etc., and even Abeirran ones like the Eminence of Araunt), and then we backwards-engineer all of the 5e adventures to include the newer factions (it shouldn't be as hard as it sounds - just add some more plot-hooks, and then some faction-specific goals & rewards). There should even be one or more drow organizations (there were at least two in Cormanthor) - Bregan D'aerthe, etc. Of course, I guess that means there should be other, race=specific groups. We have SO MANY - it could be fun to turn them all into full factions.

EDIT:
Just looked at the factions - I hadn't even realized the Red Wizards AREN'T one.

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Aug 2017 21:13:17
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2017 :  23:22:58  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the main Factions were: The Harpers, Order of the Gauntlet, Emerald Enclave, Lords' Alliance, and the Zhentarim. I mean when the primary focus of the current Forgotten Realms is largely the Sword Coast, Waterdeep, and maybe a bit of the Western Heartlands these mostly make sense (though the Emerald Enclave is a bit outta place, as they primarily ran out of the Chondalwood near the Vilhon Reach). I'd love to see more emphasis on other, more villainous ones like the Eldreth Veluuthra (racist elves, HA!) or Wearers of Purple (and the Cult of the Dragon), and maybe more Red Wizards (hopefully more in-line with pre-4e versions *gasp*).

There's also a lot of stuff they didn't really touch on, even ones that are pretty focused in the regions they're targeting! In Waterdeep alone we have the Gray Hand Enforcers, Moonstars, and Knights of the Blue Moon. In Silverymoon we have the Knight-Errants and Spellguards. In Baldur's Gate we have the prolific Flaming Fist. We need to build these up more.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2017 :  11:49:40  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops wrong thread.

Edited by - Gyor on 03 Aug 2017 12:13:43
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2017 :  13:32:07  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think the main Factions were: The Harpers, Order of the Gauntlet, Emerald Enclave, Lords' Alliance, and the Zhentarim. I mean when the primary focus of the current Forgotten Realms is largely the Sword Coast, Waterdeep, and maybe a bit of the Western Heartlands these mostly make sense (though the Emerald Enclave is a bit outta place, as they primarily ran out of the Chondalwood near the Vilhon Reach).

That is indeed the five factions. I would say though, that the events of The Reaver pave the way for a pretty big shake-up in the Emerald Enclave, and it's not unthinkable to have them reach out to druid circles elsewhere in Faerun in response to the events of the Sundering.
quote:
I'd love to see more emphasis on other, more villainous ones like the Eldreth Veluuthra (racist elves, HA!) or Wearers of Purple (and the Cult of the Dragon), and maybe more Red Wizards (hopefully more in-line with pre-4e versions *gasp*).

Although I'd love to see these organizations get more attention too, I think 5 is more than enough for the Adventurer's League program, and since that seems to be the focus of factions I doubt any more will be introduced in the same way the others had.

That said, plenty of room for such organizations in home games. It would be very easy to make these factions and put them up on the DM's Guild, if someone hasn't already done that.

As per the Red Wizards, I think things are slowly building towards a change in Thay. Dead in Thay (republished in TotYP) focused on rebel Red Wizards undermining Szass Tam, and Tyranny of Dragons also showed us a bit of that. They haven't raised their heads since (as far as I'm aware?), though they are set to make an appearance in Tomb of Annihilation. Perhaps we'll find out more then...

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2017 :  02:23:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

quote:

I think the main Factions were: The Harpers, Order of the Gauntlet, Emerald Enclave, Lords' Alliance, and the Zhentarim. I mean when the primary focus of the current Forgotten Realms is largely the Sword Coast, Waterdeep, and maybe a bit of the Western Heartlands these mostly make sense (though the Emerald Enclave is a bit outta place, as they primarily ran out of the Chondalwood near the Vilhon Reach).

That is indeed the five factions. I would say though, that the events of The Reaver pave the way for a pretty big shake-up in the Emerald Enclave, and it's not unthinkable to have them reach out to druid circles elsewhere in Faerun in response to the events of the Sundering.
quote:
I'd love to see more emphasis on other, more villainous ones like the Eldreth Veluuthra (racist elves, HA!) or Wearers of Purple (and the Cult of the Dragon), and maybe more Red Wizards (hopefully more in-line with pre-4e versions *gasp*).

Although I'd love to see these organizations get more attention too, I think 5 is more than enough for the Adventurer's League program, and since that seems to be the focus of factions I doubt any more will be introduced in the same way the others had.

That said, plenty of room for such organizations in home games. It would be very easy to make these factions and put them up on the DM's Guild, if someone hasn't already done that.

As per the Red Wizards, I think things are slowly building towards a change in Thay. Dead in Thay (republished in TotYP) focused on rebel Red Wizards undermining Szass Tam, and Tyranny of Dragons also showed us a bit of that. They haven't raised their heads since (as far as I'm aware?), though they are set to make an appearance in Tomb of Annihilation. Perhaps we'll find out more then...

One of the big problems is that they ruined Thay (and by that I means literally ruined the land). Thay was always a land of plenty when it came to agriculture, thus the need for a lot of slaves. So, even if they have an uprising, it won't help the everday citizens who simply need to eat. Due to all the undead AND the ritual meant to destroy everything, I wouldn't be surprised if the land is infused with negative energy.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2017 :  02:38:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, because of the whole 'factions' thing (which just feels so artificial for The Realms), we now have Red Wizards and worse, Emerald Enclave, EVERYWHERE. On the other hand, I can see that they are at least trying to broaden the 'playing field' (quite literally) by doing so, and also with their new focus on the Chultan peninsula.

They must have realized the same thing I did (or rather, I realized what they did a long time ago) - no-one is going to Maztica, or Katashaka, or even Kara-Tur or Malatra. They probably aren't even going as far as the Hordelands. So now they are taking whatever they have developed for those areas (what little there is) and are applying it closer to home, so instead of shrinking "a basically empty area" (the 3e maps), they've decided to make the south worth playing in, which is GREAT. If Chult, The Shar, the Old Empires, and the Shining South (now the Savage South) can be turned into this sort of 'wild, untamed frontier' (like how The North was meant to be), it could be amazing. I think that's been their plan since the tail-end of 3e - the even mentioned the Tlincalis coming to Faerūn in the GHotR. There is going to be no need to go so far away - the south is far enough. They've even brought the Shou (and Thay, etc) into the Heartlands, making it easier for DMs to use 'the toys'.

As for 'the factions', I just want to clarify: Its not that FR didn't have them. in fact, we are KNOWN for our 'clandestine groups', more than any other setting I can think of. And therein lies the problem. One of the things I would like to have done with a new CKC - and hopefully we can find room for on the CKwiki - is more factions. Bring back all those other groups that have been pushed to the side. I can understand where they are coming from - they can't present people with too many choices in the official material, because that would take design resources away from the ones they have. They can do 'just five' better than they can do 20 (if you are unfamiliar with how it works, your character's goals, and things they get experience for, are affected by all that). What I am thinking is that we add some more, maybe a few at a time (Kraken Society, Knights of the Shield, the Adventurer's Guild, the Fire knives/thieves' Guild, the Rundeen {sp?}, The Unseen, Cult of the Dragon, Scaled Ones, etc., and even Abeirran ones like the Eminence of Araunt), and then we backwards-engineer all of the 5e adventures to include the newer factions (it shouldn't be as hard as it sounds - just add some more plot-hooks, and then some faction-specific goals & rewards). There should even be one or more drow organizations (there were at least two in Cormanthor) - Bregan D'aerthe, etc. Of course, I guess that means there should be other, race=specific groups. We have SO MANY - it could be fun to turn them all into full factions.

EDIT:
Just looked at the factions - I hadn't even realized the Red Wizards AREN'T one.

What I've found in most campaigns I've run or been a player in is that the campaign doesn't span much more than a certain corner of the realms (for instance, say the Unapproachable east and Old Empires combined... or the Unapproachable East and Bloodstone Lands combined... or the whole Cormyr/Dalelands/Moonsea/Vast region... or Halruaa to Dambrath with the eastern Shaar... or Baldur's Gate south to Calimshan. I never ran anything in Maztica, but then I never ran anything in Chult either. However, I also never ran campaigns with a big focus on portals that are known and connecting far flung parts of an empire... and that could prove interesting for getting parties all over the world ... even though its not really a new idea.

BTW, I get why you'd want to make the Shaar a focus for like wemics. Just to throw out something that plays through a little with my ideas of Katashaka, a possibly good idea to use here becomes wemic versus tabaxi. You tend to think they're both cat people, so they should be friendly. However, that would be like someone looking at a human and say a centaur and saying they should be the same. The two groups may compete for resources, and it allows for domination of the area by non-human species but still providing conflict.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2017 :  14:33:26  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

quote:

quote:

One of the big problems is that they ruined Thay (and by that I means literally ruined the land). Thay was always a land of plenty when it came to agriculture, thus the need for a lot of slaves. So, even if they have an uprising, it won't help the everday citizens who simply need to eat. Due to all the undead AND the ritual meant to destroy everything, I wouldn't be surprised if the land is infused with negative energy.

The Great Rain unlikely undid all, but the worst of the damage healing the land, but not enough for more dread rings.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000