Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Reimagining Old Empires
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 26

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4654 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2019 :  09:42:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thankfully because the eladrin are mercenaries they can be found all over the planes in great tribes. A large number definitely followed the seldarine (I'm also considering if a number followed araushnee) when they left. So there presence everywhere and participation in major planar events is not a problem.

How they are made I'm not quite sure. The leshay I used the ancient empire origin but made them a leftover of the original universe before it shattered into the multi verse (like illithids) a faeree is the remnants of that universe.

It makes sense for the eladrin to be made of souls, however faeree is not one of the outer planes so souls don't go there when their bodies die, and Fey don't seem like the soul stealing kind. However I am defining a soul as positive energy given form, the experiences in its life allow it to grow and expand (experience) and faeree is a transitive plane between the material and the positive energy plane (shadow is a transitive plane between the material and the negative energy plane), so it's entirely possible that the leshay just took positive energy and moulded it into the eladrin.

At least that's my take on the planes and eladrin, which has far more to do with my moonshae thread than my old empires thread.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
607 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2019 :  14:58:44  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha, yeah I think I think this topic got derailed a bit, all due to Kazgoroth.

Maybe we'll continue this on the Moonshae thread.

But returning to the Old Empires, the novels from the Brimstone Angels series, Ashes of the Tyrant and The Devil You Know show some pretty interesting information on, and characterization of Enlil, the most he got in Forgotten Realms, or even in D&D, at least in terms of personality, as well as adding some Unther lore.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4654 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2019 :  18:07:07  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will go back and read the mulhorand and unther related novels as I found in the moonshae books there is some inspiration to be found in them, it just needs twisting and ungodifying.

The big problem is that I don't think there is a mulhorand or unther set of books like with the moonshae. I would imagine there are a number of novels that might touch upon the region, a number of other unrelated books that might be set there, and then the brimstone Angel's series of books.

It will take me a while to figure out which novels to read first, unless someone can already point them out.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
607 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2019 :  14:42:31  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand.

I think I should warn with the Brimstone Angels series, while good, Enlil only appears in the last two books, of a 6 novel long series.

Also, with Ishtar/Ish-Tarri - I know you gave her a story, but I wonder if Ishtar couldn't have become Sune, or an entity that split from her, or a former follower of Ishtar/Ish-Tarri.

(There is precedence Ishtar "fragmenting", as in lore she and Inanna split.)

There is very little known about Sune - her first known follower is noted to be from 2000 years ago (Champions of Ruin). While the stories of the artifact known as "the Sash of Sune", appear as far as 3000 years ago according to "Prayers to the Faithful", the same book mentions item is first wholly and reliably
identified in "Travels of Aruugh" chapbook from 1100 years ago (1000 years ago before the 4E timeskip), and it's possible the Shash of Sune, was known as the Sash of Ishtar before that, or was unrelated to her before that, possibly being relate to a another love goddess the theoretical proto-Sune/Ishtar subsumed/absorbed.

While the wiki states also Ishtar left Unther after Enlil did (-734 DR, curiously about 200 years ago), it was never written so in official lore, from what I checked, although I might be wrong.

This could also explain why Sune saved Sharess/Bast from Shar - when she was Ishtar (or part of her was Ishtar), they allies or maybe even friends. (Although this could be changed into politics of worshipers of Shar, Sharess/Bast and Sune.)

There is also though also an slight implication Sune, despite her (not allays though) described humanocentrism, might have some Fey origins, seeing the spell she gives "Merge with Nature" allows her cleric to permanently become a Dryad, but this might be due to Ishtar subsuming/absorbing/merging with a Fey (demi?) goddess/Archfey of beauty, love or lust, maybe even Verenestra.

Edited by - Baltas on 01 Jul 2019 15:29:36
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4654 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2019 :  16:22:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know Sune has completely undeveloped origins by anyone so I'm more than happy to throw a few into the mix.

I have already decided Ishtars fate but I have children of the gods, and the first and second generation are almost as powerful as demigod in their own right, so I might use Ish-Une as a children of Ish-Tarri who flees across the inner sea when Gilgeam takes charge.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
607 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2019 :  19:55:16  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you liked my idea, and yeah Sune being Ishtar's/Ish-Tarri's daughter works.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4654 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2019 :  20:34:24  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Odd discovery in Prophet of Moonshae.

Over 1700 years ago Gotha was terrorising the world. Then 237 years ago he flies north over the Endless Wastes and the Sunrise Mountains (although that direction would be a north westerly flight i think) to some ice land where he is imprisoned.

The direction of his flight makes me think that Gotha laired around Mulhorand or perhaps one of the Dragon Overlords of the south (Shaar, etc)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page