Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How are shades treated throughout the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mastermustard
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2017 :  23:20:27  Show Profile Send mastermustard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
With Shade destroyed, the remaining shades must be having a hard time of it making their way in the world.

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2017 :  23:49:24  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say so. Think about any oppressive minority group that gets overthrown. It's usually not pretty.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2017 :  01:55:47  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They probably stick to the Shadows (heh) and maybe consolidate in places that had accepted them before, like certain merchant-houses in Sembia and probably a few corrupt noble families of Cormyr.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2017 :  02:36:37  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
keeping low profiles and hope nobody notices

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2017 :  04:03:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Badly. Like pitchforks and torches badly.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2017 :  11:55:21  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But the phrase "throughout the Realms" is the key here. Do you all think that the average uneducated peasant-farmer in the Western Heartlands would even know what a Shade is? How about a sheep-herding Halfling rancher (residing in some pastoral Halfling shire)? Would he even know a Shade when he encounters one?

IMHO, these average citizens of the Realms would most likely be apprehensive, if not hostile, to a very foreign-looking humanoid that they rarely (or never) heard about. They would even guess, correctly, that the Shade being is possibly some fiendish-looking creature "from beyond our world". They are at least partially right. The Shades are more at home in the Plane of Shadow.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2017 :  13:50:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the way the Shades were used as pretty much THE evil group of the Realms, from 3.0 onward, I'd expect -- especially after they took over Sembia -- that the Shades would be known throughout the Heartlands. Sure, your peasant/farmer likely won't even know someone that has seen a Shade, but they had a big enough impact on the Realms that pretty much everyone would at least know of them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2017 :  15:09:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They not only attacked or pissed-off every good (or neutral) group, they also attacked at least one and pissed-off nearly every other evil group.

They are probably the one group (should they return in force... AGAIN) that could make Thay and Aglarond form an alliance to stop them. Its THAT bad.

In fact, they are so awful, when they show up in The Realms, people in the real world start grabbing their pitchforks and torches!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Jul 2017 15:10:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000