Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How should the FR Community organize itself?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

fw190a8
Seeker

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2017 :  18:55:30  Show Profile  Visit fw190a8's Homepage  Click to see fw190a8's MSN Messenger address Send fw190a8 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Well, I guess I should find a new hosting site, and just take all of that down. I've hated Photobucket for awhile: I had switched to another hosting service, which they promptly bought, and after swearing they would 'maintain it', they shut it down entirely within three months of buying it (they bought it just to kill it). They didn't even warn anyone, and a lot of people lost their stuff.

They're an ebil company who deserves no love - all my stuff is getting take down. Now I just need to find some alternate (Tiny Pics is slow and clunky as hell, and also ad-heavy).

There's a few you might consider, like Flickr, Google Photos (free up to a certain resolution), Instagram (owned by Facebook), Imgur, all viable but depend on your willingness to have ads, maximum resolution and filesize, etc. :)

Contributor to the Forgotten Realms Wiki: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1458 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2017 :  21:14:27  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

The previous poll question: "Should some of the fans of the Forgotten Realms come together, organize a group (the precise details yet undetermined), to produce unofficial "canon" material for other fans of the setting?"

It sounds good, but the chance of this ending well...
quote:
- The Wiki is not dependent on any single individual or handful of individuals. It is a community-oriented project.

It very much is. Otherwise wiki based projects could not be taken over, and sometimes they quite obviously are. What happened to TVTropes, for one.
And this problem, of course, is not related to wiki engine.
quote:
- It is rules independent and thus does not lock us into any particular version of D&D. People can play the Realms with whatever ruleset they like whether it is D&D, Pathfinder, or something else.
[...]
- The community gets to determine what goes into the fanon and what does not. This means the things that get added have at least some base of support within the community. This limits the likelihood of something happening to the fanon that huge majorities of the fans hate.

I suspect this would end as "Make edition wars passive-aggressive".

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

fw190a8
Seeker

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2017 :  21:24:05  Show Profile  Visit fw190a8's Homepage  Click to see fw190a8's MSN Messenger address Send fw190a8 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lore (fluff) is not edition-specific so that's all good. For crunch (rules), who's to say only one version would need to be included? Why not write the stat blocks for 2e, 3.5, 4e and 5e? Gets around the "edition wars" issue.

Pathfinder fans would easily be able to convert from 3.5 to Pathfinder. If you only want to write something for a particular rule set, or only know a particular rule set, that's where the "wiki" idea comes in; anyone else can help you convert or do it for you.

Contributor to the Forgotten Realms Wiki: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2017 :  21:41:47  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I did see it, I just didn't care enough to do anything about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

And as for a logo - I threw THIS together to represent 'CandleKanon' (excepted, 'official' Fanon).

You must have missed the PM I sent you a few days ago... Photobucket wants you to pay for third-party hosting, now.
Well, I guess I should find a new hosting site, and just take all of that down. I've hated Photobucket for awhile: I had switched to another hosting service, which they promptly bought, and after swearing they would 'maintain it', they shut it down entirely within three months of buying it (they bought it just to kill it). They didn't even warn anyone, and a lot of people lost their stuff.

They're an ebil company who deserves no love - all my stuff is getting take down. Now I just need to find some alternate (Tiny Pics is slow and clunky as hell, and also ad-heavy).

Why not just host it on the Candlekeep Wiki? I mean, it's all Realms related stuff, even your Misbegotten Realms stuff.

If I am not mistaken, the Wikia will allow you to upload images, even organize them into galleries.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30203 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2017 :  23:10:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fw190a8

Lore (fluff) is not edition-specific so that's all good.

The lore of the Realms has changed repeatedly due to rules changes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1458 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2017 :  13:04:08  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lore (fluff) is not edition-specific so that's all good.

Ideally, it should be so. Alas, it seems to be a case when "in theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice they are not".
Just 3 examples of terminology:
- Fighter-Thief who kills for money Assassin.
- Sorcerer.
- Eladrin.
And 2 more complex examples:
- Psionics.
- Lore that does not make sense even in itself.
The importance of fanon arises in the first place mainly because canon continuity ended up brought to the level of average sooperhero comics. But continuity issues are inevitably tied to "earlier lore vs. later lore". Which makes borders of the latter ill-defined. And means one either makes a visible choice or sinks in "maybe this maybe that maybe something completely different" postmodern drool.

quote:
For crunch (rules), who's to say only one version would need to be included? Why not write the stat blocks for 2e, 3.5, 4e and 5e? Gets around the "edition wars" issue.

That's simple enough, yes.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 17 Jul 2017 13:43:50
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5803 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2017 :  15:42:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lore (fluff) is not edition-specific so that's all good. For crunch (rules), who's to say only one version would need to be included? Why not write the stat blocks for 2e, 3.5, 4e and 5e? Gets around the "edition wars" issue.

Pathfinder fans would easily be able to convert from 3.5 to Pathfinder. If you only want to write something for a particular rule set, or only know a particular rule set, that's where the "wiki" idea comes in; anyone else can help you convert or do it for you.

Sounds good. Not true always. For instance, if someone were playing Pathfinder, they might assume that the "Witches of Rashemen" should all be of class Witch. Since 2e has no warlocks, should they be excluded? As to multiple stat blocks... sounds good except that NONE of us (I don't care who they are) has all the rules across all editions so well in their head to actually do this with any competency. I've played every edition of the game (including basic) and quite frankly the rules all begin to turn into jello the longer you don't use them.

That being said, yes, you can write some things in a rules neutral format. For instance, I can reference say a girallon/tabaxi/flind/minotaur/tlincalli/froghemoth, etc... and there should be rules for such across MOST editions of the game. This is why I'm so big on the fact that DM's Guild allows you to reference other DM's Guild material even without the approval of the other author. I don't HAVE to get someone's ok to use their monsters, so I can use other people's bestiaries, spell conversions, class conversions, etc.... without having to develop the material myself. Granted, on some of the aforementioned WotC has actually released their own official version of the above (so for instance, now I need to reference the 5e version of tabaxi/girallon/froghemoth from VGtMonsters)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000