Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Suggestions for a realm name for Zhentil Keep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Helm
Acolyte

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2017 :  20:05:52  Show Profile Send Helm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I will be starting a new 5e campaign soon based around the Dalelands. One of the premises is with the fall of Netheril and destruction of Myth Drannor, old enemies have been swift to take advantage. One idea I have is Zhentil Keep being rebuilt and has conquered the surrounding towns (Teshwave, Voonlar and Yulash) to form a small kingdom. With its armies at the gates of Hillsfar. I haven't decided what form this kingdom will take, i.e. Theocracy, Militocracy or whatever but my main creative block is giving it a name.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

RDS
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2017 :  16:23:24  Show Profile Send RDS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Name it after the leader of your new kingdom. Make a clean break with the old.

RDS
Go to Top of Page

Helm
Acolyte

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2017 :  21:12:57  Show Profile Send Helm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't considered that.
Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

164 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  07:25:14  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And name him "Zhentil", just to cover your bases.

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
Go to Top of Page

Helm
Acolyte

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  08:17:14  Show Profile Send Helm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course! No one would expect that! :-D
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  14:53:24  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Naming it after the leader is pretty cool. Could also use a group or organization's name as the Army. You could mash up all three towns (like Teshvoonlash) so that the people still have a connection with their roots. You could also play up the name of the Zhent but change it, like the Zhentilar, Zhentiamat (maybe they're dragon worshipers?), Zhentvar, or some variation that shows a connection to the old but a pushing forward with new?

Other company names:
Black Blades
Order of Steel
The Black Company (total rip off, I know)
The Ebon Fist
Order of...Darkscales or Darkscales Company

Go to Top of Page

Helm
Acolyte

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  15:07:03  Show Profile Send Helm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really want the name to be a play on "Zhentil" somehow. Zhentilgard was an early idea but it's too much of a rip-off of Elturgard. Zhentvar is a good suggestion, I was toying with the simpler Zhentar but still undecided. I like the company name suggestions too. I've decided it's going to be a Stratocracy - rule through military chiefs. i.e. a council of "warlords" with a high warlord at the top. Still need to flesh out that a bit.
Go to Top of Page

RDS
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  17:24:03  Show Profile Send RDS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess my question would be...who is rebuilding the old city? Where are the military forces coming from? If they want to keep the Zhent name it's likely old soldiers and mercs I would think.

RDS
Go to Top of Page

Helm
Acolyte

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  18:54:39  Show Profile Send Helm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm effectively dialing the condition of Zhentil keep back to it's 3e condition. My RPG group isn't up on FR history so I'm just going to use personalities from 2e/3e era. Essentially, it's being rebuilt by Zhent soldiers and citizens.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  19:33:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Misereor

And name him "Zhentil", just to cover your bases.

Surname "Keeprocks"

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  19:57:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
forgive the below, I'm in punny mood

Zhentylvania - and its new lord likes to eat with people pierced and bleeding out on nearby columns

Entilzhae Keep or Ilzhentae Keep - and there's a bunch of scro serving the new lord

Zhenital Fort - make sure to put a house of ill repute filled with a bunch of cold sores on their lips

But more seriously, Zhentavalar, Zhentilavan, Zhenteshyular, Zhenyulash,

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  20:09:12  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
[br

Zhenital Fort - make sure to put a house of ill repute filled with a bunch of cold sores on their lips

Zhenital Fort for sure!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  20:25:12  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could name it Zionil... Sounds like Zhentil, but is also a reference to Gond's ancient name... That'll mess with the players heads a bit, and make them "wonder" if it's ultimately good or evil...

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  20:56:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The State of Zhen

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  21:34:26  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like Zhenteshyular!
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  22:57:14  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zhentdale.

Complete with an ambassador being sent to the Dales Council to claim the old Teshendale seat; a lot of statues of Aencar the Mantled King standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the wizard Zhentar; talking about the need for Dales unity against the imperial ambitions of Cormyr and Sembia; and playing up the role of Zhentil Keep as the strong shield against invasion of the Dales by threats from the north.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  23:20:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I really like Zhenteshyular!

You know, its kind of funny, but as I wrote that up, I was like "hmmm, that actually doesn't sound bad... and it kind of works for all sites... Zhentil keep, teshwave, yulash, voonlar". It even works in the national song, "Bane Bless Zhenteshyular, Our Hooooommmmmmmeeee SWWEEETTTT HOOOOOOOMMMMMMMEEEEEE!"

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  23:52:15  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by see

Zhentdale.

Complete with an ambassador being sent to the Dales Council to claim the old Teshendale seat; a lot of statues of Aencar the Mantled King standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the wizard Zhentar; talking about the need for Dales unity against the imperial ambitions of Cormyr and Sembia; and playing up the role of Zhentil Keep as the strong shield against invasion of the Dales by threats from the north.

I've always liked the idea of Teshendale returning, if only in name.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Helm
Acolyte

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2017 :  10:39:29  Show Profile Send Helm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really good suggestions here. Zhenteshyular is a great name! Zhenital Fort is hilarious!

I love the idea of the Zhents trying to come across as the good guys in the face of Cormyrean or Sembian expansion. I've had Tilverton rebuilt and Cormyr sure is supporting rebels in Daggerdale so the dales might be split in opinion. It's up to the players to come up with hard evidence.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2017 :  12:37:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could take the kingdom name from the area... Some of these cities are on the River Tesh, some are on the Moonsea. So you could go for Teshar, Teshal, Teshilar, Moonsaer, Moonlar, Moonsrar...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Jun 2017 12:37:39
Go to Top of Page

Helm
Acolyte

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2017 :  15:37:22  Show Profile Send Helm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certainly the River Tesh and the Moonsea are major geographical features. Especially if the Zhents are trying to de-emphasize their previous "bad deeds" then a non-Zhent sounding name might be appropriate. Teshilar sounds interesting. I think I'm sold on that!

Now to decide if it has a title to go with it. i.e. Kingdom of Teshilar. City-state of? Dominion of? Federation of? Hmm, I'm going too Star Trek-y now! :D

Edited by - Helm on 15 Jun 2017 15:44:40
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2017 :  15:59:36  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Teshar is the name of an old and shortlived nation formed on the tesh valley by netherese survivors.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Helm
Acolyte

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2017 :  16:47:13  Show Profile Send Helm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the Zhents named the domain "Teshar" it would be recognized by anyone (apart from historians)? Would it help legitimize what they have done (subjugated the surrounding towns)?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2017 :  17:20:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helm

I wonder if the Zhents named the domain "Teshar" it would be recognized by anyone (apart from historians)? Would it help legitimize what they have done (subjugated the surrounding towns)?

Only if they could somehow prove a connection to the original nation -- and even then, it would be iffy.

That might be a fun idea, though... As they're setting up their kingdom, the Zhents decide to see if they can find a connection to the original Netherese. It takes them some time, but they eventually track down a young woman who is a direct descendant of Teshar's last ruler. To get a degree of legitimacy, they plan to marry her off to the new ruler of Teshilar.

They don't realize the Harpers got to her first, though... (Or, depending on how you want to spin things, the Red Wizards or any other group)

It could also be more indirect. The young woman agrees to the marriage, but she's bringing her best friend along as a companion, to keep her company -- and it's the best friend that's working for the other group.

Go to Top of Page

RDS
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2017 :  17:37:05  Show Profile Send RDS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An heir could be Alaphlame. Hlonatar was a short lived kingdom at the terminus of the Tesh river and Alaphlame excaped Alokkair's wrath when she and her sisters tried to kill their tyrant father. If she survived there could be many heirs available to choose from.

RDS
Go to Top of Page

Helm
Acolyte

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2017 :  17:51:58  Show Profile Send Helm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really good adventure ideas here. I wonder of those Zhent wizards have invented an "identify DNA" spell? :D
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2017 :  17:57:04  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shoondale! Have the Leader be a descendant of Manshoon the Great!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 15 Jun 2017 17:57:56
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2017 :  18:01:57  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The northern moonsea people are also of part netherese stock so technically zhentil keep is somewhat of a successor to teshar anyway

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Helm
Acolyte

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2017 :  18:49:10  Show Profile Send Helm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I'm guessing the Zhents could dig up a heir from the populace...using their detect DNA spells?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2017 :  19:40:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helm

So I'm guessing the Zhents could dig up a heir from the populace...using their detect DNA spells?

I'd expect it would be more like finding a distinctive item known to have belonged to a specific person -- it would likely be an heirloom passed down within a family. Once you find it, you can check back thru local histories and such to find the connection.

Go to Top of Page

Helm
Acolyte

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2017 :  08:15:26  Show Profile Send Helm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah that sounds like a good adventure hook. I can imagine the PCs getting involved in a struggle to locate this heir. Maybe he or she has fled Teshar with a harper agent (possibly wounded in the process), with Zhentarim in pursuit. Maybe he/she is privy to some secrets Teshar don't want the Dales to know. I can imagine a chase adventure with the PCs racing to meet with the Dales Council for him or her to speak.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000