Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Xanathar's Guide to Everything
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6219 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2017 :  01:54:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

So now that the book is out, has anyone got a copy? I haven't seen all what's inside and I do see that there's some backlash over having re-hashed material from the Sword Coast Adventure Guide. Apparently it was done because Adventure League rules say that you can make a character using the PHB +1 other book (Volo's Guide, Sword Coast Adventure Guide, OR Xanathar's Guide to everything).

That's a stupid rule... and no, haven't got mine yet.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
473 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2017 :  03:29:21  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a copy. The amount of pages devoted to previously released material (excluding UA test material) is relatively minimal - it includes a handful of SCAG subclasses and a few pages of Elemental Evil spells, so maybe 10 pages-ish. I thought the various tables were actually useful for a lot of folks to help flesh out their characters. Some of the DM section stuff was less interesting to me, but I could still see the utility (the encounter tables and magic item tables, for example). By far the best thing, and I know this has no game relevance, was Xanathar's commentary. Several made me laugh out loud. There is nearly no Realms lore and certainly none of note. Nevertheless, if you play 5E, it's solid expansion, lots of player options and lots of useful stuff for the DM.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3434 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2017 :  13:43:02  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

So now that the book is out, has anyone got a copy? I haven't seen all what's inside and I do see that there's some backlash over having re-hashed material from the Sword Coast Adventure Guide. Apparently it was done because Adventure League rules say that you can make a character using the PHB +1 other book (Volo's Guide, Sword Coast Adventure Guide, OR Xanathar's Guide to everything).

That's a stupid rule... and no, haven't got mine yet.

I don't fully understand the rule either? In the ages where splat books were being churned out faster than mobile apps of annoying games, the Groups didn't seem to have any significant qualms about someone using the PHB, Spell Compendium, Magic Item Compendium, and Complete Mage to make their character or simply use the DDI with nearly everything compiled into 1 program to make a character either (I just used the online CB to make my daughter her first Water-dragon Dragonborn Slayer using about 5 different sources).

So in an Edition that prides itself on testing, testing, and further testing, you'd THINK they would keep an eye on anything seriously broken? Right now there's like.....3 books plus the PHB and the game is tightly created that there's few instances that make something seem erroneous in a broken way.

quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

I've got a copy. The amount of pages devoted to previously released material (excluding UA test material) is relatively minimal - it includes a handful of SCAG subclasses and a few pages of Elemental Evil spells, so maybe 10 pages-ish. I thought the various tables were actually useful for a lot of folks to help flesh out their characters. Some of the DM section stuff was less interesting to me, but I could still see the utility (the encounter tables and magic item tables, for example). By far the best thing, and I know this has no game relevance, was Xanathar's commentary. Several made me laugh out loud. There is nearly no Realms lore and certainly none of note. Nevertheless, if you play 5E, it's solid expansion, lots of player options and lots of useful stuff for the DM.

That sounds really good. I'm glad it's only about 10 pages of previous released stuff. I think I'm most excited about the Cavalier sub-path of the Fighter. When I was converting my 4E characters to 5E, the UA Knight fit in exceptionally well with my long-standing Cleric/Fighter character (in addition to the Righteousness Domain from your Forgotten Characters of the Realms supplement!) and turns him into a sort of pseudo-Paladin. The 4E to 5E conversion guide really helps too.

4E Realms = Great Taste, Less Filling.

"If WotC were to put out a box of free money, people would still complain how it was folded."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6219 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2017 :  13:40:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got my copy, and I'm noting some things right off the bat that I had not noted for 5e. The main one, at the very beginning, its talking about ten "standard" rules and it mentions an entry on bonus action spells. It specifically states that if you cast a spell as a bonus action, you can cannot also cast a spell as an action unless its a cantrip. This does somewhat nerf one of the nice abilities of the sorcerer in my mind. I may actually have to relook at some things I've written up as well. Not adverse to this ruling, BUT there should be some means to get an exception to it under x,y,z conditions... just like I've written some things where a player can gain the ability to multi-concentrate. Options should be available, but at a cost that you can't do something else.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
413 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2017 :  16:44:44  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the book quite a bit now that I have it, though I think the ďspecialĒ cover is not great, waited for the regular cover books to be available. The FR name on a generic book is a little annoying but the book itself is high quality in my opinion. I donít know if there are enough options to lure those who love the character building mini game of 3.5e/PF away but itís a nice set of additional options for 5e without making the game much more complicated.

On the other hand the multiple pages of name lists in the back feels tacked on and a waste of page count. Itís as if they had an idea for something that fell through so they had to scramble to make a page count goal. Iím not impressed with close to 10% of the page count being name lists in a $50 less than 200 page sourcebook.

Edited by - idilippy on 01 Dec 2017 16:48:19
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000