Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Tomb of Annihilation
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1225 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2017 :  22:43:23  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

People might be interested in the prelude story in the latest issue of Dragon Magazine.

I really, really enjoyed that short story. I kinda wish there were a follow up novel....

- Delwa Aunglor of Tangled Trees
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

My Forging the Realms Archives (Google Drive pdfs)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30221 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2017 :  20:57:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, anyone want a free Mike Schley map of Chult, very large and made for this adventure?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1225 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2017 :  13:36:34  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So, anyone want a free Mike Schley map of Chult, very large and made for this adventure?

Got it! Now I'm just waiting for the book to get here.
I looked at D&D Beyond's digital offering for the adventure and I'm stoked.
On Beyond, you don't have to buy the whole tome, they've broken it down to where you can just purchase an individual monster or NPC stat block, or magic item. While it doesn't let you preview those individual stats, it gives a nice idea of what exactly is going to be in the crunchy bits.
Can't wait to see how they stat Artus Cimber and Dragonbait.

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5815 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2017 :  14:43:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:

On Beyond, you don't have to buy the whole tome, they've broken it down to where you can just purchase an individual monster or NPC stat block, or magic item. While it doesn't let you preview those individual stats, it gives a nice idea of what exactly is going to be in the crunchy bits.

Dragonbait will be in Chult? I mean, I can see the saurials there, just hadn't noted anything about it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1225 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2017 :  14:48:25  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:

Dragonbait will be in Chult? I mean, I can see the saurials there, just hadn't noted anything about it.

Yep! Scroll down to the Monster Section. He's there.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5815 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2017 :  15:25:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:

Yep! Scroll down to the Monster Section. He's there.

<rant on>
why the hell does every GD site require you to create a new ID. I was interested for a minute.... why can't they just let you look at things as a guest... I swear things are getting too stupid. Just not going to do it. Guess I'll wait for the arrival of the book.

<rant off>

sorry, just had to say it.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1225 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2017 :  15:42:50  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apologies. Maybe this will be better?
The art doesn't show him with his odd sword. I wonder if that's on purpose or an oversight.

Edited by - Delwa on 10 Sep 2017 15:43:56
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30221 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2017 :  17:19:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mike Schley has gone back and added to the pdf file map download -- now there are hexless versions!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5815 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2017 :  13:11:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Apologies. Maybe this will be better?
The art doesn't show him with his odd sword. I wonder if that's on purpose or an oversight.

Ah, thank you. Ok, I'll say it again, its weird how people are introducing monsters that I would have never thought others would be interested in but that I was using. I speak specifically of the almiraj, but also the kamadan.... and flying monkeys.

Update monsters: Almiraj (unicorn bunny), Kamadan, Mantrap, Tri-flower frond, Jacuuli, Zorbo (evil koala that destroys magic items).

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 11 Sep 2017 13:11:35
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1225 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2017 :  13:17:46  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really enjoying that as well.

Zorbo make for a great way to teach a group humility. Throw those in with a few rust monsters, and I can see any group happily prefer fighting a tarrasque instead.

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2017 :  03:50:19  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I'm pretty excited about Tomb of Annihilation. High production value, good story, great vibe, interesting encounters, etc. And I don't feel they did much that isn't in line with existing lore, at least given the passage of time.

My beef, as with many things are some of the small things. Not addressing that the biggest tribe of Chultans are the Tabaxi (doh, the same name as the cat people which is fine, but should have gotten a throw away sentence explaining it). Or the forgetting of wild dwarves and Thard Harr; they don't have to play a role in the story--I know a lot of folks hate them--but in some ways I almost feel that they made the albino shield dwarves a bit more "wild." Again a place where a bit of acknowledgment would go a long way. Not explaining (at least that I've read yet) how Volo is still alive, and so on. Ah, well, I guess you can't have it all.

All that said, though, I think it's my favorite 5E adventure after Out of the Abyss and can't wait to play it.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  05:26:26  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta
My beef, as with many things are some of the small things. Not addressing that the biggest tribe of Chultans are the Tabaxi (doh, the same name as the cat people which is fine, but should have gotten a throw away sentence explaining it).

Actually, I did just read an explanation about why the two races, the cat people and the human tribe have the same name. I will post a link when I find it, but it's also explained by someone that was part of the Tomb of Annihilation development IIRC. So possibly the blurb explanation may appear on the final product? I have mine on pre-order.

For those who don't already know (I assume many old veterans in Candlekeep already know the reason the two groups are named the same). Basically, one group was mistaken for the other by early West Faerunian explorers (i.e. conquistadors).

And a real-world historical analogy of this…. is when Christopher Columbus also wrongly mis-identified the Caribbean and American natives and called them "Indians", believing that he had arrived in Asiatic India. But by the time the Spanish and Portuguese colonizers/cartographers realized Columbus' mistake, it was too late. The word stuck. The native Americans were labelled as "Indians" for centuries. Not to be confused with the (Hindu) Indians of Asia.

Edited by - moonbeast on 22 Sep 2017 06:00:09
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000