Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Is it Abeir-Toril or just Toril?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
214 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2017 :  14:28:43  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This could be solved by borrowing some hypothetical physics consepts from theoretical physics.
The moon could exist in both dimensions, if the Abeir-Toril planet too exist as Abeir and Toril in two dimentions. The Planes we call Abeir and Toril would be two independently experienced 3 dimentional spaces in a multidimensional space.
To explain it a different way: If you view it this way, the Abeir and Toril is still "one planet", and could even share the same Fewyild. Just being separated physically by its two 3d areas we use to perceive. Multidimentional beings would then, in theory, just walk straight from Abeir to Toril when they want (think Lovcraftian Dimentional Shamblers).

Or we could try ignoring what 4E did to FR...
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7582 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2017 :  15:07:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Or maybe Abeir is truly unique. The 4E Realmslore asserts that Abeir is a one-of-a-kind special case, resulting from the actions of primordials ands deities and Ao. Not intended in the beginning, not intended for eternity, only a design flaw which needed to be corrected (by amputating an entire world, lol) before undesirable conditions actually worsened.

My point being that if the lore makes so many special efforts to assure us that Abeir is a categorically unique case, why continue to speculate on how Abeir fits into existing models?



Personally I think I'm going this path that you state. Abeir is just weird. It has the same sun and moon because somehow the two are "in a state of two phases" as well. What does that mean metaphysically? I'm not really sure. What did it mean during the time between the spellplague and the sundering? Well, we do know that while Abeir had no outer planar contact previously, it seems that somehow the abyss going into the elemental chaos gave Abeir access to the abyss, as there were demon lords there (seen from the last 2 Farideh books).

A good question to ask if we want to use Abeir is what access did it having during the spellplague fallout/before 2nd sundering... that now it no longer has. Personally, I think it would be fun if all of a sudden Abeir now is just another crystal sphere (a small one... with just Abeir, a moon, and a small sun). Maybe the whole splitting thing was Ao's way of "seeding" a new crystal sphere, and during the second sundering it essentially stole a portion of Toril's "magic energy".... enough to form its own crystal sphere shell finally. Maybe there were some deities that transferred to Abeir after the spellplague, and maybe some of those deities were able to get themselves "transplanted" into the surrounding territories with worshippers. Thus, maybe Abeir has a fledgling pantheon of gods there now (maybe not all of whom even know of one another), and slowly the sleeping primordials are awakening and in a century maybe the war between gods and weakened primordials will come to a head again (for now though, you could just use the two "sniffing" around one another).

In the meantime, maybe in the lands that transferred, there are points which touch both worlds, such that there are natural portals between the two (possibly all one-way, such that if someone transfers to Abeir on one, they must transfer back via finding another that returns to Toril). These portals, would of course be unstable, only open on a periodic basis, maybe requiring some key, etc...

In my view, this makes Abeir usable... which after all is the point in my book. It makes it different than Toril as well. The one big thing I'd do for Abeir is enforce a ruling that clerics don't exist, and instead use the DM's Guild product Priestess: Ancient World Divine Class

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/192760/Priestess-Ancient-World-Divine-Class?filters=45469_0_0_0_0_0_0_0

This forces the use of idols and the building of places of worship and the idea of fervent sacrifice. Thus, there's a "physical" relationship to the deity to kind of equate to the idea that the divine magic in the world is still "in its infancy".

I would however allow druids, and thus the worship of nature in its various aspects becomes an easier road than traditional priests/clerics. However, perhaps druids in Abeir have more stringent alignment requirements.... such as something like the old true neutral requirement and worrying about maintaining balance. Also, perhaps some druids worship deities, and others worship primordials, and perhaps some worship "pantheons" of both, etc...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Master of Realmslore

Colombia
1121 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2017 :  17:15:56  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In fact, access to Abeir still exists after the Second Sundering. Ed wrote an article about it in Dragon 427, that some individuals created paths and that stuff.

By reading that article, it seems that Abeir now has a Weave, as Mystra want to prevent the usage of "worldfire", as it can destroy the Weave in both, Abeir and Toril.

Long ago, in the distant past, they fell into decay. The philosopher’s path... The river of glory... Even the saints resting in the darkness rise up without response and block the way...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 05 Jun 2017 17:19:01
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7582 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2017 :  18:50:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

In fact, access to Abeir still exists after the Second Sundering. Ed wrote an article about it in Dragon 427, that some individuals created paths and that stuff.

By reading that article, it seems that Abeir now has a Weave, as Mystra want to prevent the usage of "worldfire", as it can destroy the Weave in both, Abeir and Toril.



Thank you for that reminder. In that article, Talaskos Murthrond, was mentioned as a Zulkir who is involved with worldfire. I had asked Ed what he was Zulkir of, and the hooded one came back that she believe it was Transmutation.... hmmm, might be interesting to use this guy in my United Tharchs of Toril.

From Dragon 427

Talaskos Murthrond is a handsome, purring voiced former Zulkir of Thay who long ago foresaw Szass Tam’s rise, faked his own demise, and departed his homeland for a skulking existence spent hiding in remote places of Faerūn amid magical mists.7


7. Although his habit of conjuring magical mists (sometimes including various gaseous or amorphous creatures that will fight at his command) has led some individuals to mistakenly believe Murthrond was
related to the mysterious “Mistmaster” of the northwestern High Forest (in the Sword Coast North), Elminster doesn’t believe the two have ever met, let alone collaborated on anything or learned from each other. Murthrond has become a recluse who prefers to watch, withdraw, and wait patiently for the best moment to strike—very different from most authoritarian zulkirs.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Senior Scribe

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2018 :  04:30:11  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

It was my understanding that there was one deity on Abeir: Asgorath. The account, supposedly, was that the primordial Erek-Hus cleaved Asgorath in half, resulting in Tiamat and Bahamut, who then rose and killed Erek-Hus. Though, when the Book of the World was discovered, it seemingly indicated that Asgorath was Tiamat and Bahamut, the renegade. The belief by the Candlekeep staff was that it was inconclusive regarding the counter-theories. Anyhow, that was just something that popped up into my head as I was reading the rest of the stuff.

As to Acolyte DrGerm's point: I agree heartily with Master Zeromaru X's reference of Dragon #427, and The Great Sage's acknowledgment of Abeir still being separate, in light of it being accessible.

By the way, I love this site!

Best regards,




quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Yes, Jeff Grubb added the 'Abeir' part (the name of his own homebrew world) in front of Toril so it would come first. Thanks for taking the time to look that up.

So what does Faerūn mean? Was it 'the One Land'? Something like that, right?

Anyhow, the more I think of Abeir as a side-plane, rather than an actual world, the more I like it. Almost like a Ravenloft, except instead of 'Dark Powers' pulling the strings, its Overgods. Hmmmmm... maybe the 'Dark Powers' are a specific group of Overgods? maybe they are hiding certain puzzle-pieces from the others? So many ways to spin this!

Thus, 'Nerath' becomes the 'Domains of Dread' for the Abeir plane, just as 'Ravenloft' is for the Shadowfell, and 'Faerie' is for the Feywild. Could Abeir actually be the plane of mirrors? Its the only other major transitive plane I can think of that has some old canon attached.

Three transitive planes, each with collections of 'pieces' gathered from other worlds. Maybe something can be done along an alignment axis? 'Good', Neutral, and 'Evil'? Not quite a good fit. 'Law & 'chaos' would be even worse. Anyway, I was thinking in terms of different groups of gods ('Dark Powers') all trying to recreate their own version of the 'First World' (because each of them would remember it from their own viewpoint, which could be very different than the others).



It's an interesting idea... Though I would suggest having it squirrelled away somewhere aside from the Outer Planes. Maybe a demiplane hidden somewhere in the Inner Planes, or maybe a very large pocket dimension.

The reason I shy away from hiding it in the Outer Planes is simply because that's where the gods are, and Abeir didn't have gods.

I've also come to the conclusion that there are either multiple Prime Material Planes, all overlapping each other, or there is only one Prime and it has a lot of layers -- because we've got many examples of places on the Prime where things work one way, but differently in another place -- exactly the same way different planes/layers in the Outer Planes each have their own rules.

So Abeir could be a separate Prime (or layer of the Prime) altogether, one that simply isn't much bigger than a single world and with fewer connections to other planes.


Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
31632 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2018 :  05:03:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I'm weak on any lore pertaining to Abeir as a separate entity... The whole idea of Abeir as a separate world was a retcon, and it was very poorly managed, in my opinion. Almost every aspect of it creates a lot of issues -- like the moon thing discussed earlier, in this thread -- and either breaks existing lore, doesn't make any sense, or both.

The whole thing would have worked orders of magnitude better if it had been some sort of extraplanar invasion or something, instead of the Sundered worlds thing. Plus, that approach wouldn't have been a retcon, and the rest of the prior lore wouldn't have been broken.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Senior Scribe

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2018 :  05:37:59  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

No judgement here from I! There is so much lore to know on the Realms, it is in my opinion the one true setting where you really can have legitimate academic amounts of knowledge, as you would see with real world disciplines. It is truly epic.

Fair enough on the Abeir issue then as well. I figured I would ask one of the master's here, as a Seeker is still seeking, right?

Best regards,



quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Honestly, I'm weak on any lore pertaining to Abeir as a separate entity... The whole idea of Abeir as a separate world was a retcon, and it was very poorly managed, in my opinion. Almost every aspect of it creates a lot of issues -- like the moon thing discussed earlier, in this thread -- and either breaks existing lore, doesn't make any sense, or both.

The whole thing would have worked orders of magnitude better if it had been some sort of extraplanar invasion or something, instead of the Sundered worlds thing. Plus, that approach wouldn't have been a retcon, and the rest of the prior lore wouldn't have been broken.


Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Senior Scribe

837 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2018 :  14:08:58  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see the rest of the draconic pantheon must be hanging around at the spelljammer station dressed in hobo rags, musing wistfully on better days.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Senior Scribe

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2018 :  14:15:50  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe LordofBones,

haha...that just conjured up a pretty amazing image in my mind.

Best regards,




quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

I see the rest of the draconic pantheon must be hanging around at the spelljammer station dressed in hobo rags, musing wistfully on better days.


Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7582 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2018 :  13:21:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, for those (like me) who didn't follow the reference of Erek-hus, the King of Terror, and Io/Asgorath… its under the dragonborn in the SCAG

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, page 112
Another legend asserts that Io created the dragons at the birth of the world, but dragonborn did not yet exist. Then, during the Dawn War, Io was killed by the primordial known as Erek-Hus, the King of Terror. With a rough-hewn axe of adamantine, the behemoth split Io from head to tail, cleaving the dragon-god into two equal halves, which rose up as new gods- Bahamut and Tiamat. Droplets of Io's blood, spattered across the world,
became the first dragonborn. For some who believe it, this origin story supports the view that dragonborn are clearly inferior to the dragons that were made by Io's loving hand, while others emphasize that the dragonborn arose from Io's own blood- just as two draconic deities
arose from the god's severed body. So are the dragonborn not, therefore, like the gods themselves?


This is apparently lore from the 4th edition "Player's Handbook Races - Dragonborn" as I did deeper. Its here that we find more lore on Erek-Hus
From PHR-Dragonborn
IO'S SUNDERED HEART When Erek-Hus, the King ofTerror, sundered Io's body, he cut the dragon-god's heart cleanly in half. The sundered halves of Io's heart give life to Bahamut and Tiamat-but ifthey were reunited, Io himself could live again. Of course, claiming the two halves of the heart probably means killing both Tiamat and Bahamut-or at least killing one deity and convincing the other to ingest or absorb that half of the heart.
What do you hope to gain by reuniting the heart? Are you a devotee of Io's Children who simply wishes to see your god restored? Or are you on the path of the Avatar of Io (see below), seeking to complete this quest in order to achieve your immortality?
This would be appropriate as a major quest that your entire party pursues. However, if it's part ofcompleting your epic destiny, it might be a minor quest-despite its far-reaching consequences.
THE KING OF TERROR After the primordial Erek-Hus slew Io, Bahamut and Tiamat, rising up from their dead progenitor's corpse, destroyed the King of Terror. Among those elemental beings and mortals who revere the primordials, however, there are some who seek to revive the King of Terror. Collecting fragments of his shattered body, they plan a ritual to reunite the fragments and restore him to life. You make it your mission to stop them.
Foiling the ritual might be a major quest you share with your party, but there might be steps along the way that are more personal for you and appropriate for minor quests. You might seek to disrupt local cults, take out key cult leaders, or find fragments ofthe primordial's body before the cultists do and destroy them.


Which SOME might read this theory, along with the increased interest of Bahamut and Tiamat just following the ToT and before the spellplague which hurled Abeir and Toril back together. Makes me also wonder about the "Heart of Ubtao" earthmote floating above Chult.


Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
31632 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2018 :  17:25:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's too similar to Tymora and Beshaba's story, for my liking.

I realize that the good and evil counterparts arising from a common origin story is hardly unique to the deities of Luck, but still, I think they could have tried harder to make something unique. (Though I'm inclined to think this was specifically against the 4E design guidelines)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Senior Scribe

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2018 :  17:28:36  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

Thank you for posting that information. I do believe I just referenced it without citing it!

Best regards,



quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

So, for those (like me) who didn't follow the reference of Erek-hus, the King of Terror, and Io/Asgorath… its under the dragonborn in the SCAG

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, page 112
Another legend asserts that Io created the dragons at the birth of the world, but dragonborn did not yet exist. Then, during the Dawn War, Io was killed by the primordial known as Erek-Hus, the King of Terror. With a rough-hewn axe of adamantine, the behemoth split Io from head to tail, cleaving the dragon-god into two equal halves, which rose up as new gods- Bahamut and Tiamat. Droplets of Io's blood, spattered across the world,
became the first dragonborn. For some who believe it, this origin story supports the view that dragonborn are clearly inferior to the dragons that were made by Io's loving hand, while others emphasize that the dragonborn arose from Io's own blood- just as two draconic deities
arose from the god's severed body. So are the dragonborn not, therefore, like the gods themselves?


This is apparently lore from the 4th edition "Player's Handbook Races - Dragonborn" as I did deeper. Its here that we find more lore on Erek-Hus
From PHR-Dragonborn
IO'S SUNDERED HEART When Erek-Hus, the King ofTerror, sundered Io's body, he cut the dragon-god's heart cleanly in half. The sundered halves of Io's heart give life to Bahamut and Tiamat-but ifthey were reunited, Io himself could live again. Of course, claiming the two halves of the heart probably means killing both Tiamat and Bahamut-or at least killing one deity and convincing the other to ingest or absorb that half of the heart.
What do you hope to gain by reuniting the heart? Are you a devotee of Io's Children who simply wishes to see your god restored? Or are you on the path of the Avatar of Io (see below), seeking to complete this quest in order to achieve your immortality?
This would be appropriate as a major quest that your entire party pursues. However, if it's part ofcompleting your epic destiny, it might be a minor quest-despite its far-reaching consequences.
THE KING OF TERROR After the primordial Erek-Hus slew Io, Bahamut and Tiamat, rising up from their dead progenitor's corpse, destroyed the King of Terror. Among those elemental beings and mortals who revere the primordials, however, there are some who seek to revive the King of Terror. Collecting fragments of his shattered body, they plan a ritual to reunite the fragments and restore him to life. You make it your mission to stop them.
Foiling the ritual might be a major quest you share with your party, but there might be steps along the way that are more personal for you and appropriate for minor quests. You might seek to disrupt local cults, take out key cult leaders, or find fragments ofthe primordial's body before the cultists do and destroy them.


Which SOME might read this theory, along with the increased interest of Bahamut and Tiamat just following the ToT and before the spellplague which hurled Abeir and Toril back together. Makes me also wonder about the "Heart of Ubtao" earthmote floating above Chult.




Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Senior Scribe

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2018 :  17:31:27  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I certainly see your point there. The two sides being sundered is a bit overused: agreed.

It does seem like 4e does factor into so much of these conversations, with a profound impact (and for good reason of course). It has definitely caught me unaware on many occasions when just referencing lore and then finding out later by my own accord or someone else that certain things were retconned.

Frustrating for me.

Best regards,



quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's too similar to Tymora and Beshaba's story, for my liking.

I realize that the good and evil counterparts arising from a common origin story is hardly unique to the deities of Luck, but still, I think they could have tried harder to make something unique. (Though I'm inclined to think this was specifically against the 4E design guidelines)


Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
31632 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2018 :  19:51:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was very frustrating to be actively following the setting at the time, too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Senior Scribe

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2018 :  23:33:56  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I completely understand. I've been such an avid and loyal fan of the Realms since the late 80's. This kind of alteration was just frustrating as can be. Just as was seen with continuity violations with Star Wars in episodes 1, 2, and 3, we see that kind of frustrating situation here.

Best regards,



quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It was very frustrating to be actively following the setting at the time, too.


Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3197 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  00:25:02  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Honestly, I'm weak on any lore pertaining to Abeir as a separate entity... The whole idea of Abeir as a separate world was a retcon, and it was very poorly managed, in my opinion. Almost every aspect of it creates a lot of issues -- like the moon thing discussed earlier, in this thread -- and either breaks existing lore, doesn't make any sense, or both.

The whole thing would have worked orders of magnitude better if it had been some sort of extraplanar invasion or something, instead of the Sundered worlds thing. Plus, that approach wouldn't have been a retcon, and the rest of the prior lore wouldn't have been broken.


-For months, in the 4e lead up, it wasn't even clear exactly what the hell "Abeir" was. The 4e book cleared it up more or less, but when you can't make sense of exactly what they're talking about in preview articles...that's bad.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Senior Scribe

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  04:15:56  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lord Karsus,

Great point of course. For a place of learning such as Candlekeep, the frustration must have been profound!

I appreciate the insight.

Best regards,



quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Honestly, I'm weak on any lore pertaining to Abeir as a separate entity... The whole idea of Abeir as a separate world was a retcon, and it was very poorly managed, in my opinion. Almost every aspect of it creates a lot of issues -- like the moon thing discussed earlier, in this thread -- and either breaks existing lore, doesn't make any sense, or both.

The whole thing would have worked orders of magnitude better if it had been some sort of extraplanar invasion or something, instead of the Sundered worlds thing. Plus, that approach wouldn't have been a retcon, and the rest of the prior lore wouldn't have been broken.


-For months, in the 4e lead up, it wasn't even clear exactly what the hell "Abeir" was. The 4e book cleared it up more or less, but when you can't make sense of exactly what they're talking about in preview articles...that's bad.


Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2043 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  13:48:17  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never liked any of the Abeir / Toril were separate things. Abeir-Toril - one world. Done
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Senior Scribe

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  16:18:09  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Mage,

I can certainly appreciate your point there. It seemed very disjointed. Although, from an author's perspective it is probably really cool because it allows them to come back to that at a future point in time to use that material for more Realms drama (not saying I like or dislike that, just identifying that).

Best regards,



quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I never liked any of the Abeir / Toril were separate things. Abeir-Toril - one world. Done


Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2043 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  16:58:08  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't see why having two worlds gives more possibilities for future writing. I've been reading FR for almost 30 years and in that time they've published a couple hundred books. Meanwhile here on earth the same number of books are published set on this planet every week or so. Abeir-Toril is a whole planet with billions of characters to explore on the page. No need for a dimensional twin.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
31632 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  19:11:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Don't see why having two worlds gives more possibilities for future writing. I've been reading FR for almost 30 years and in that time they've published a couple hundred books. Meanwhile here on earth the same number of books are published set on this planet every week or so. Abeir-Toril is a whole planet with billions of characters to explore on the page. No need for a dimensional twin.




Indeed. We've got entire continents on the world Abeir-Toril that don't even have as much as an official name. Even if the designers were as constrained as they claim by existing lore (a highly dubious claim, at best), they simply could have started on any one or more of those continents. There was no need for massive retcons and blowing up the setting.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Senior Scribe

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  20:26:42  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Mage,

I can very appreciate your point. My thinking on this matter was presupposed upon the notion of the at times, seemingly, disjointed approach that WotC has taken on the matter of lore production. I feel that the 4e production of material was driven towards getting younger readers, who did not want to have the barriers to enter regarding lore, involved in the game and so anything they could potentially use in the future as a means to get that done would be a positive. This would only be a business decision, as we can see from the (as I feel) bizarre approach they took to a severe dismantling of the Realms at the onset of 4e.

Thoughts?

Best regards,




quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Don't see why having two worlds gives more possibilities for future writing. I've been reading FR for almost 30 years and in that time they've published a couple hundred books. Meanwhile here on earth the same number of books are published set on this planet every week or so. Abeir-Toril is a whole planet with billions of characters to explore on the page. No need for a dimensional twin.



Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3197 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  00:10:08  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

I feel that the 4e production of material was driven towards getting younger readers, who did not want to have the barriers to enter regarding lore, involved in the game and so anything they could potentially use in the future as a means to get that done would be a positive. This would only be a business decision, as we can see from the (as I feel) bizarre approach they took to a severe dismantling of the Realms at the onset of 4e.

Thoughts?


-They've said as much that that was the case.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Senior Scribe

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  00:34:41  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Lord Karsus,

Well, I suppose that is rewarding in a way. Of course, I just wish it would not have happened. Then again...I don't always seem to get what I want in life, at all times. haha

Out of curiosity, was that admission anything printed/online, or orally at a convention?

Best regards,



quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

I feel that the 4e production of material was driven towards getting younger readers, who did not want to have the barriers to enter regarding lore, involved in the game and so anything they could potentially use in the future as a means to get that done would be a positive. This would only be a business decision, as we can see from the (as I feel) bizarre approach they took to a severe dismantling of the Realms at the onset of 4e.

Thoughts?


-They've said as much that that was the case.


Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

162 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  12:45:01  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's too similar to Tymora and Beshaba's story, for my liking.
I realize that the good and evil counterparts arising from a common origin story is hardly unique to the deities of Luck, but still, I think they could have tried harder to make something unique.


All the splitting apart of deities was actually the one thing about 4th ed. I liked.

In my campaigns, I treat them as metaphors for aspects of divinity changing, as the world and the rules of the universe (and thus Portfolios) change.

For example, The original Io as one of the oldest gods was said to have been of all alignments. That would makes sense, if he existed before alignments existed as we know them today. When Good and Evil began emerge as separate concepts (as described in the history of the Blood War), why wouldn't a god that previously encompassed both split along those lines too?


What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.

Edited by - Misereor on 28 Sep 2018 12:46:20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000