Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Some good news, amidst all this bleakness.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2017 :  20:02:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

The sad thing is that the 4e virtual table (the 2D version WotC developed after the 3D project was cancelled) was really good. The DDI integration was smooth and I played quite a few LFR adventures on it during the beta.

Unfortunately they never broadcasted the fact that all DDI users actually had beta access and instead of moving the stable version they finally had from beta to release, they out of the blue the cancelled it.

As I understand it, that project was mostly being carried by just one person, who died before completing it... I seem to recall there being an issue with the code having been lifted from somewhere else.

I think that if the VTT had been rules-neutral, with rulesets as cheap downloads, it could have been a huge thing for gaming in general, and not just for D&D.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2017 :  20:53:40  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

[As I understand it, that project was mostly being carried by just one person, who died before completing it... I seem to recall there being an issue with the code having been lifted from somewhere else.
That was the first one, the 3D version they promised during launch of 4e- They had a working 2D version at the end of 4e, looked like maptools or fantasy grounds.
Go to Top of Page

Spectralballoons
Acolyte

Pakistan
48 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2017 :  08:28:58  Show Profile Send Spectralballoons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I sometimes think that D&D would now be dominating all facets of "gaming" as well as offshooting into books, movies etc, if only it had devoted a huge amount of resources to building a brilliant MMORPG.

-- George Krashos

That's a lousy idea. Tabletop games are still going strong, and are in fact now more mainstream than ever before, and what works in a tabletop game might not necessarilly work in another form of entertainment. Besides, doesn't Neverwinter Nights exist?
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2017 :  03:10:20  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see a Realms MMORPG provided it could be farmed out to CD Projekt Red, Blizzard, or BioWare. Given what they did with Mass Effect Andromeda, not sure I'd go in for the last mention though. Sad really, I still love the original ME series. Sigh.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2017 :  03:18:41  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

I'd love to see a Realms MMORPG provided it could be farmed out to CD Projekt Red, Blizzard, or BioWare. Given what they did with Mass Effect Andromeda, not sure I'd go in for the last mention though. Sad really, I still love the original ME series. Sigh.

The thing is, from what I've heard WotC wants to ave strict control over what goes in the game, and such companies probably aren't going to enjoy restrictions in storytelling and game design. Furthermore, they all have their own IPs--which are arguably alreardy much more well known and popular than D&D/FR--so I really don't see them dealing with WotC. Too bad, sure, but understandable.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2017 :  03:48:56  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A pipe dream for sure. Still, I'd love to play a Realms game that has the polish of say Witcher 3. /drool
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2017 :  00:15:31  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

I think someone pointed out already that there is a Realms MMORPG. It's called Neverwinter and it's been around for a quite a few years.
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2017 :  22:53:43  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I sometimes think that D&D would now be dominating all facets of "gaming" as well as offshooting into books, movies etc, if only it had devoted a huge amount of resources to building a brilliant MMORPG.

-- George Krashos

They may have with Hasbro's blessing. There's no way WotC could make an MMO without very deep pockets. And despite Blizzard's success with WoW, they're the exception to the MMO rule. A game created to unseat WoW would have to take its player interactivity to many new heights, which isn't saying much considering the thought processes that must have went into some of its systems.

As a longtime player of WoW myself, I can tell you that if you play long enough, you'll find many of its features are outright stupid and make you wonder how those features could ever have made it past testing or QA other than by sticking to the mantra of "it's our game and we'll do what we want." Sound familiar? I can't tell you how many times I've been playing only to think "why did they code it this way? That's stupid!" Bugs aren't the only things playtesters and paying players notice with their entertainment.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000