Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The City of Brass
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  00:17:41  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I found an interesting picture on NWVault today, and decided to post it for the scribes. It is an arial view of the City of Brass, and it left me thinking about how it manages to stay in the air....

Oh, before I forget, here's the link...
The City of Brass

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  05:27:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this, although it's a little different from the images I'm used to seeing of the City of Brass.

Shadowlord, some time ago I spoke about the various theories that detail why the City of Brass floats above the flames of the Elemental Plane of Fire. I'm sure that if you do a search for the City of Brass, you'll find the discussion between myself, and the Bookwyrm.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  05:29:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and before anybody asks the inevitable question about what the 'City of Brass' is, I'll take a little time to write-up a brief outlook -

The City of Brass
This is certainly one of the more hospitable regions in the Inner Planes, though that isn't saying much. It's a huge hemisphere of solid brass 40 miles across, and the interior is protected from the heat of the plane. The Grand Sultan of the efreet runs the place, and it's all in all a tight operation. Although he's merciless and demanding, he does keep order pretty well. The whole burg has a population of about double that of any Prime city, though how many efreet remains unknown. There are The city is filled with rivers of lava and boiling black ooze. The Sultan's palace is filled with unspeakable amounts of treasure, though anyone who tries to get at it faces equally an unspeakable execution. The efreet work very closely with the Baatezu, and you'll find an easy time finding portals to Baator here. The trade of slaves and information runs strong. Finally, there's a secret place in the passages underneath the city called the Wormhole that even the efreet don't know about. Salamanders use it to hide from their cruel dominators, but they might extend protection to a particularly convincing blood.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  05:43:18  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, I think you should also mention about a possibility of being burned to death if you touch the cobblestone and the walls of the city. Lol.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Zimeros
Learned Scribe

Brazil
121 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  16:28:37  Show Profile  Visit Zimeros's Homepage Send Zimeros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did hear about it a long time ago...
The people of Ankhara said that you must to travel the desert of Zakhara to find the gates to this city...

"Gods protect children and drunks"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  02:15:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, there's a gate to the City of Brass rumored to lay within the valley called the Pit of the Ghuls, in Alkaline Lake. It's located within the High Desert of Zakhara.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  07:25:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Sage, I think you should also mention about a possibility of being burned to death if you touch the cobblestone and the walls of the city. Lol.

It could be worse. The City of Ashes on Mungoth in Gehenna, has bizarre buildings and statues, so old they crumble with touch. It is a place so long forgotten, that it existed before the baatezu. It is believed to be where the ancient baatorians resided and, may still reside.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  11:43:05  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There may also be a gate from Dead Orc Pass north of Silverymoon. :-)

--Eric

(Really old Realmslore reference.)

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  12:13:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...I remembering reading something about that. It was a long time ago though, mind you...

Just out of curiosity, you wouldn't happen to have the exact reference for that little tidbit would you Mr Boyd?

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  13:45:35  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was one of (if not the) first article on gates/portals in Dragon magazine. It was by Ed Greenwood and titled "From Dead Orc Pass to the City of Brass ..."

Not sure if there really was a gate detailed in the article between the two locations, but it was a catchy title.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  13:51:55  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so whos got that issue of Dragon? Get typin'!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  15:10:57  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If there is one from Dead Orc Pass, then probably you can find it at the WotC site. They always have a lot of stuff on the North plus they have frequent new articles about portals around the Realms...

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  15:27:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've found it... (gee, that didn't take long...)

It's from issue #37, May 1980. It doesn't make mention of a gate between the City of Brass and Dead Orc Pass though. The article is mainly a discussion on the theory and use of portals.

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  05:45:24  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
May of 1980.That's awesome!!!After looking at the picture from the link for a few heartbeats.I realized what it was.I think it's pretty cool looking for a city.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000