Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Photos that inspire...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2017 :  15:49:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
New topic (I hope). I've seen and used hundreds of pics here in the forums as 'inspiration', or "as an example of...", so I thought there should be an actual place we could put pics that just scream, "make a story/lore about this thing."

When a dwarf Realm is spread between two mountains.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 May 2017 15:49:20

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2017 :  17:55:15  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

When a dwarf Realm is spread between two mountains.

This reminded me of the glass bridge in China. Of course the typical dwarf would prefer a stone bridge, but what if these weren't the typical dwarves? The siremun, for instance, who mine skystone, "a perfectly clear crystal" that can be worked like marble. (Of course, dwarves being dwarves, it would be better-engineered than the one in China.)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2017 :  18:31:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the core 2E books -- I think it was the PHB -- had a simple illustration that was likely there just to fill space. It showed a young man and a young woman, the former in normal medieval fantasy attire and the latter in some vaguely Middle-Eastern outfit, on a flying carpet. The young lady looked almost bored, but the young guy was clearly amazed by the view from the carpet (and possibly by proximity to the young lady).

It's just a simple, black-and-white illustration -- but every time I see it, I think there's a story behind it, and I want to know what that story is.

Larry Elmore's painting The Usurper is another one that makes me wonder what the story is.

It's not often that I look at artwork and wonder what the story is -- usually, there's enough in the picture to have a clue, or it's just something I see and say "hey, that's cool" and continue on. Those two that I referenced, though, are personal exceptions to that rule.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2017 :  06:43:25  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember that picture. And since I have a bit of time, went looking for it. You're right, it's the 2e PHB, on the first past of Chapter 14: Time and Movement. which explains the flying carpet, I imagine. :)

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000