Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who did the Netherese descend from?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2017 :  13:30:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I were to link Kiaransalee to the Raven Queen in the past it would have been LOOONNNNNNNGGGG Ago. We have to remember, Kiaransalee was a god on Toril before Lolth was (look in the novel Evermeet, she's there in the beginning), and she was an interloper. So, if around the dawn of time Kiaransalee took over an aspect of the Raven Queen somehow (maybe she used the original "forget about me forever" on the Raven Queen.... same thing she later tried to use on Orcus later (which is canon)). It may have even been that Kiaransalee "was" the Raven Queen, in that whatever aspect she acquired, she actually magically "booted" its consciousness out and inserted her own. This helps fit the lore where the Raven Queen was around long ago, but now she's "new".

Along these lines, with Kiaransalee back, I'd really like to pursue an idea I had a few years back. Basically, in my musings of "the gods were in Abeir", I have 5 gods in particular who are working together in Abeir to restore magic and many of the "dead" gods (btw, Helm, Lathander, and Tyr are also involved with their own work). Those 5 gods are Savras, Leira, Deneir, Velsharoon, and Mask (with occasional help from a 6th, Karsus, and 7th, Finder Wyvernspur, whose song magic aided both Lathander AND Mystra's servants). In that scenario, Mask is helping strictly because he likes the intrigue of it (and he has a "thang" for Leira). I don't know why, but I also like the idea that Velsharoon and Kiaransalee also find each other in the midst of this and become a husband/wife scenario co-ruling necromancy. This becomes even more pleasing to me if she looks like the raven queen, as I can picture Velsharoon and the Raven Queen hand in hand. Perhaps the two ally to work against Orcus and other demon lords who seek to usurp necromancy.

I know some will say "well, why do we need Myrkul, Orcus, Velsharoon, and Kiaransalee" and my answer to that is "because then you can play it that there's a struggle going on for this worship and work those worshippers against each other".

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 19 May 2017 14:01:39
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2017 :  17:10:18  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dont forget that Elaine herself has said that evermeey should not be taken as historical fact. That gives a lot of room for interpretation

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2017 :  17:18:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just can't get onboard with any deities having been in Abeir. Its doesn't just go against canon, it actually goes against the basic premise on which Abeir was created - NO gods.

Now that they ('the powers that be') are back-peddling on so much stuff, they're just making primordials 'a different kind of god' (but basically the same Thing), which to me is just more redundancy. I wanted them to be different - its what I liked about them (and Abeir).

The lines have gotten so blurry they've become pointless, IMHO.

I'm going to have to rethink a lot of stuff. I have always gone with Ed's premise that Magic = "Life", which is exactly the premise behind Athas as well - a world drained of life/magic. It's what made the Phaerimm stuff WORK. It also works within the confines of the 'Nobanion = Aslan' stuff (that magic IS life). Basically, Toril's 'Weave' is super-charged with life (hence - in part - the ability for anything to breed with anything).

Magic dead zones are 'lifeless', just like Athas.

But if thats so, and Abeir 'had no magic', then it should have been just like Athas (and I think large swaths of it were - the whole of the Darksun campaign took place in a region the size of The Raurin). That means the main continent - Laerakond (Ed also gave us another name - i need to find that one) had to have something that gave it 'some life back'. Maybe the dragons themselves? (Ed also has some lore about dragons being the 'key' to magic, sort of how it is in GoT, but I can't really discuss that).

I might be able to put together a new theory - that dragons are like 'magic sponges' - maybe they were created (in their current, terrestrial form) to do just that - 'mop up' the mess of free-floating mana that was left after the First world was Sundered. They can literally be used like 'seeds' to bring life to new worlds (basically, like giant mana-producing power plants). They gather that energy and release it, naturally, causing magic to escape into the magnetosphere (or in magic terms, the web of leylines around a planet). Like I said, just something new I am playing with as of this morning.

EDIT:
And now I am thinking about the scene in Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, when the kraken lay dead on the beach - "The world is a little less brighter with the magic gone".

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 May 2017 17:26:54
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2017 :  18:19:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I just can't get onboard with any deities having been in Abeir. Its doesn't just go against canon, it actually goes against the basic premise on which Abeir was created - NO gods.

Now that they ('the powers that be') are back-peddling on so much stuff, they're just making primordials 'a different kind of god' (but basically the same Thing), which to me is just more redundancy. I wanted them to be different - its what I liked about them (and Abeir).

The lines have gotten so blurry they've become pointless, IMHO.

I'm going to have to rethink a lot of stuff. I have always gone with Ed's premise that Magic = "Life", which is exactly the premise behind Athas as well - a world drained of life/magic. It's what made the Phaerimm stuff WORK. It also works within the confines of the 'Nobanion = Aslan' stuff (that magic IS life). Basically, Toril's 'Weave' is super-charged with life (hence - in part - the ability for anything to breed with anything).

Magic dead zones are 'lifeless', just like Athas.

But if thats so, and Abeir 'had no magic', then it should have been just like Athas (and I think large swaths of it were - the whole of the Darksun campaign took place in a region the size of The Raurin). That means the main continent - Laerakond (Ed also gave us another name - i need to find that one) had to have something that gave it 'some life back'. Maybe the dragons themselves? (Ed also has some lore about dragons being the 'key' to magic, sort of how it is in GoT, but I can't really discuss that).

I might be able to put together a new theory - that dragons are like 'magic sponges' - maybe they were created (in their current, terrestrial form) to do just that - 'mop up' the mess of free-floating mana that was left after the First world was Sundered. They can literally be used like 'seeds' to bring life to new worlds (basically, like giant mana-producing power plants). They gather that energy and release it, naturally, causing magic to escape into the magnetosphere (or in magic terms, the web of leylines around a planet). Like I said, just something new I am playing with as of this morning.

EDIT:
And now I am thinking about the scene in Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, when the kraken lay dead on the beach - "The world is a little less brighter with the magic gone".

Look at it this way. We can either do things with Abeir OR we can NOT do things with Abeir.

So far, my ideas have revolved around the idea that unbeknownst to Faerun a lot more of Toril went to Abeir (Anchorome, Maztica, Katashaka, portions of Osse, Nimbral, Lantan, Halruaa, Unther, portions of Chessenta and Chondath, many of the people and possibly portions of Mulhorand, portions of Thindol, Samarach, Tashalar, Lapaliiya, and the Mhair Jungle, maybe portions of the dire wood, etc... ).

Along with those regions, the idea of worship transferred over. The deities were for the most part seen to be beneficial by the surrounding territories. Thus, worship may have spread into Abeir itself, but only barely. Then things transfer back, but some of the deities stay because they've become worshipped by the native Abeirans. Similarly, the Abeirans that were here in Toril transfer back and introduce some gods that were here to Abeir.

So, now we've set the stage for a world with Primordials to awaken and a less than coherent group of gods to challenge them. Essentially, look at Sword & Sorcery's world of Skarn from 3e in which there was this deity versus Titan struggle and the Titans were defeated, but had to be simply "chained down" because killing them was hard to figure out. Now picture playing through that era of gods versus Titans rather than it already be a certain win.

Throw in the idea that the "second" Sundering setup these "links" between the two worlds, and thus you can setup some kind of war between worlds kind of like the Magician series of Novels by Raymond E. Feist. Abeir becomes the "low magic" world and Toril is the "high magic" world... but on Abeir the weave is growing stronger. Bring in the idea of harvesting resources between worlds (which for the United Tharchs may even include things like slaves), and you get a lot that you can develop.

Also, throw in some areas of Abeir that never really developed sentient humanoid populations, but rather possessing possibly intelligent animals (not animal humanoids, but actual animals... like Narnia) and you could open up whole sections where Lurue and Nobanion prosper.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2017 :  18:33:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely not do things with abeir. Pretend it doesnt exist, alog with 5e and 4e. But thats probably just me.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page