Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Whisperknife questions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2017 :  18:05:27  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if anyone can help me understand these two abilities. I guess it's the way they are worded, but I'm not quite understanding how they work.

Superior Catch (Ex): When you reach 8th level, your improved catch ability is extended. You can use two returning weapons for two attacks each in a single round, or you can use one returning weapon for three attacks in the same round, as long as your target is no farther away than one range increment. (If your target is farther away than one range increment, you can still use your superior catch ability, but only for a single attack each turn.)

Ranged Flank (Ex): At 9th level, you know how to flank a foe by using a ranged weapon. You must be within 10 feet of the enemy in question, and you flank as if you were wielding a reach weapon (see Reach Weapons, page 137 of the Player’s Handbook). You do not threaten the foe and may not make attacks of opportunity against the foe unless you are actually adjacent to the foe and armed with
a melee weapon.

Thank you for any help.

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2017 :  21:39:18  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Asking @JeremyECrawford on twitter will get you an official answer, but here's my interpretation.

Superior Catch:

If you're targeting something within one range increment:
Make two attacks with each of two returning weapons --4 attacks total-- against that target,
OR make three attacks with one returning weapon --3 attacks total-- against that target.

If your target is beyond one range increment:
Superior Catch only allows a single attack against that target, with only one weapon.

Ranged Flank:
If your target is in a square directly adjacent to you then you can flank with a ranged weapon, and if you get an attack of opportunity then you can take that.

If your target is not in an adjacent square (but still 10 feet or less away) you can flank with your ranged weapon (using the rules for flanking with a reach weapon) but you don't get to take attacks of opportunity with your ranged weapon.

If your target is more than 10 feet away (2+ squares between you) then you can't flank with a ranged weapon and you can't take attacks of opportunity with your ranged weapon.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 07 May 2017 23:09:52
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2017 :  16:31:13  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great, thank you for making that all clear, lol. A PC I'm playing with wants to create a knife thrower. He wants to take both the Whisperknife PrC and the Master Thrower PrC. Does anyone feel that these two classes are perfect for each other, or does Master Thrower not really work with Whisperknife? Any help is very welcome.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000