Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Neverwinter Chasm, Post-Sundering
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lord Kristivas
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  15:59:29  Show Profile Send Lord Kristivas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the SCAG, the Chasm's been filled. How in the heck did they fill it? I know the answer is "magic", but does it say who performed this miracle? What do you think they filled it with? Is it solid stone, gravel, etc? I was just going to go with stone, but if there are specific details anywhere, I'd love to go with what's canon.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  17:25:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They filled it with the mystical element handwavium. Its properties vary from use to use, but the main thing that's known about it is that it's far more readily available than unobtainium.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Kristivas
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  17:51:08  Show Profile Send Lord Kristivas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the who done it is poppycock, and the how is malarkey, gotcha.

I had the grand fortune of being able to look through the old 2e Gray FR Boxed Set, and through some Volo guides the other day. I miss when the books gave you details like that.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  20:06:14  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More importantly Ed usually considered the kind of details you are asking about and how it all fit into the game world.

That kind of forethought and rationalisation of the fantasy just doesnt exist in the curreny timeline and it shows

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  20:25:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

They filled it with the mystical element handwavium. Its properties vary from use to use, but the main thing that's known about it is that it's far more readily available than unobtainium.

"Once thought to be the rarest of elements in the Realms, the preponderance of said material seems to have grown exponentially when lands were exchanged during the Spellplague, and in the century following, so that by 1490 DR it is widely believe that there is now more Handwavium on Toril then all other elements combined".

--- Sir Markov VonSargasm, before the half-asleep Council of Magi who dwelleth upon the Coast

In other news, the new elemental lord of Handwavium - Laque'luztarr - has been seen all over The Realms, and is active in nearly every nook & cranny. He doesn't answer prayers; in fact, some believe he responds by doing the opposite of what people are asking for.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  20:50:11  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Once thought to be the rarest of elements in the Realms, the preponderance of said material seems to have grown exponentially when lands were exchanged during the Spellplague, and in the century following, so that by 1490 DR it is widely believe that there is now more Handwavium on Toril then all other elements combined".

--- Sir Markov VonSargasm, before the half-asleep Council of Magi who dwelleth upon the Coast

In other news, the new elemental lord of Handwavium - Laque'luztarr - has been seen all over The Realms, and is active in nearly every nook & cranny. He doesn't answer prayers; in fact, some believe he responds by doing the opposite of what people are asking for.

Lol, thanks for making my day (or what remains of it)

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 30 Apr 2017 20:50:29
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  03:45:11  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I figured AO did it by picking his nose and flinging a booger in the chasm

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  06:14:39  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ao brought back pieces of Toril from Abeir back to Toril and sent pieces of Abeir from Toril back to Abeir, Sundering the two worlds from the mishmash that the Spellplague had turned them into.

EDIT: Apparently it was engineering, not a godly doing.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Edited by - Storyteller Hero on 01 May 2017 17:19:59
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  06:22:57  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller Hero

Ao brought back pieces of Toril from Abeir back to Toril and sent pieces of Abeir from Toril back to Abeir, Sundering the two worlds from the mishmash that the Spellplague had turned them into.

I don't think that was it. It seems like it was more a feat of engineering, per the SCAG:
quote:
He (Dagult) engineered the sealing of the Chasm and the restoration of the High Road, and is seeking other ways to repair and improve the city.

My guess is that it's just good old fashioned earth and stone shoved in there to plug the gap, quarried over the thirty or whatever years Neverember has been rebuilding the city. Hells, short of using wizards, if I had a gap in my city that's how I'd fill it.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  07:20:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about this - its really just an epic-level illusion, and he's scared to death someone might realize it... and start disbelieving.

Conversely, maybe they only used some magic and just built a 'cover' over the thing - a dozen or more feet of rock - instead of filling the whole thing in. Its a lot more interesting having the pit still under there (and trying to keep that secret), then to just say "they filled in the hole".

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

quote:
Once thought to be the rarest of elements in the Realms, the preponderance of said material seems to have grown exponentially when lands were exchanged during the Spellplague, and in the century following, so that by 1490 DR it is widely believe that there is now more Handwavium on Toril then all other elements combined".

Lol, thanks for making my day (or what remains of it)

Thank You, but Wooly deserves top credits for starting that ball rolling.

I'm surprised the play-on-words even translated enough for you to have gotten it. Who knew my jokes were multilingual.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  10:17:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How about this - its really just an epic-level illusion, and he's scared to death someone might realize it... and start disbelieving.

Conversely, maybe they only used some magic and just built a 'cover' over the thing - a dozen or more feet of rock - instead of filling the whole thing in. Its a lot more interesting having the pit still under there (and trying to keep that secret), then to just say "they filled in the hole".

I like this. It wouldn't have to be entirely filled in to be stable and to appear to have been completely filled, and that leaves some adventuring possibilities, this way.

I'd go more than a dozen feet of rock, myself, but otherwise this is a really nifty idea!

Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  17:22:05  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it was illusion magic using shadow matter, it could be a solid illusion.

If there was a secret password to turn it on and off, that would make for some awesome brainstorming.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  18:08:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could mix'N'match - the 'cover' could be real rock, and the rest 'filled in' with illusion, or parts of it have a real rock covering, while other parts are only illusion, and he's working real hard to replace all the fake parts with real rock, but he's scrambling for enough coin to pay the wizards he'd employed to continue their work.

I doubt he'd use 'local talent' - I'm thinking gnomes, possibly from Lantan, for an engineering project of that magnitude. Plus, they'd be perfect for laying an illusion before doing the actual 'fill'.

You know what - you guys just made an idea *click* in my head - GNOME Inc. They do these sorts of ginormous, unwieldy projects, plus a lot of normal stuff like castle building. They specialize in doing an illusioary 'mock-up' of the finished product, so folks can do a 'walk through' and make whatever changes they want. For an extra fee, they can even make the illusion good enough to be used... temporarilly, of course.

So times running out for the mayor of Neverwinter...

Edited by - Markustay on 01 May 2017 18:15:25
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  19:37:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Combine all of those ideas... The gnomes come in, and craft illusions of filling it all in -- in actuality, they've been layering wall of stone spells, starting from the surface and working downwards maybe 20 feet.

So far as anyone knows, the chasm is entirely filled in. Actually, though, it's just covered, and there are some areas they didn't close off, because those areas simply weren't as high a priority. They've just not gotten to them, yet.

They're nearing completion, when something happens. Maybe Lord Neverember pisses off the ranking gnome on the project. Maybe someone has started picking off the gnomes, and now there aren't enough left to complete the project. Maybe one of the factions that opposes Lord N has found out there are still gnomes in the area, doing something rather secretive. Whatever the problem, Lord Neverember needs it handled quickly and discreetly, before anyone finds out that he's been lying about having the chasm filled in.

Or maybe it was roofed over but not filled in, and something has crawled out and become problematic...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 May 2017 19:38:55
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  19:49:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... and ate the gnomes.

SEE? Isn't this SO much better than "they filled in the hole"?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11692 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  22:53:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I dunno, I just used a portal as part of the world tree to some planet named Pandora, while using a spell to make it so I didn't have to breathe. They had some big monsters and these weird blue jungle giants, but I just shot them with some lightning and they fell over. In fact, the jungle giants had some kind of braid/tentacle coming out of their head, and when you hit the end of it with a shocking grasp... they kind of danced and then fell over. After that, it was pretty much just use a spell to dig up some unobtainium and use the portal to come home.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 01 May 2017 23:45:16
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2017 :  03:59:32  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to steal that "filled with illusion magic" idea. Its something that Neverember would do (or that I picture him doing). And its better than just "I'm no fun, so I filled the Chasm because status quo" answer in the SCAG.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11692 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2017 :  14:30:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Combine all of those ideas... The gnomes come in, and craft illusions of filling it all in -- in actuality, they've been layering wall of stone spells, starting from the surface and working downwards maybe 20 feet.

So far as anyone knows, the chasm is entirely filled in. Actually, though, it's just covered, and there are some areas they didn't close off, because those areas simply weren't as high a priority. They've just not gotten to them, yet.

They're nearing completion, when something happens. Maybe Lord Neverember pisses off the ranking gnome on the project. Maybe someone has started picking off the gnomes, and now there aren't enough left to complete the project. Maybe one of the factions that opposes Lord N has found out there are still gnomes in the area, doing something rather secretive. Whatever the problem, Lord Neverember needs it handled quickly and discreetly, before anyone finds out that he's been lying about having the chasm filled in.

Or maybe it was roofed over but not filled in, and something has crawled out and become problematic...

One thing to bear in mind, wall of stone isn't permanent anymore. It's concentration or 10 minutes. Same with wall of ice and force. No longer can you do construction with wall spells.

In fact, that could be a good feat... something that makes various types of walls and stuff permanent without concentration (or even if you just made them last a year or so, which would allow a community to throw up temporary walls and build permanent walls behind them.... making a wall of ice that lasts a day would give you enough time to chip it down to cool off drinks, etc.). It would have to have a LOT of those types of benefits to be worth it though.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2017 :  17:08:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

One thing to bear in mind, wall of stone isn't permanent anymore. It's concentration or 10 minutes. Same with wall of ice and force. No longer can you do construction with wall spells.

Really? That's a nerf. I can't say I like that one.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2017 :  17:46:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but there's a lil' sumthin' sumthin' peeps keep forgetting about 5e that was its major selling point to me - PC's CAN'T do everything, and sometimes they'll come across bits of magic that are 'ancient & mysterious' that they simply CAN NOT DO.

You know, like how it was in 1e/2e.

Those Gnomish engineers have got a few 'Gondish spells' up their sleeves that no-one knows about.

Go to Top of Page

Wandering Sword
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2017 :  18:23:22  Show Profile Send Wandering Sword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A map I made some time ago for the beginning of LMoP. I wanted a repaired NW city.

Neverwinter Rebuilt!http://i.imgur.com/NE6bOZm.jpg

Edited by - Wandering Sword on 02 May 2017 18:24:02
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2017 :  22:52:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice - great idea. Simple yet elegant.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11692 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2017 :  02:52:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, but there's a lil' sumthin' sumthin' peeps keep forgetting about 5e that was its major selling point to me - PC's CAN'T do everything, and sometimes they'll come across bits of magic that are 'ancient & mysterious' that they simply CAN NOT DO.

You know, like how it was in 1e/2e.

Those Gnomish engineers have got a few 'Gondish spells' up their sleeves that no-one knows about.

Yeah, it might be worth developing some new spells like "summon earthen heap" that summons a pile of raw dirt and pebbles, but its permanent. Similar things like "summon pile of ice" that summons basically small bits of odd shaped ice (maybe enough to fill the equivalent of a couple ice chests) , but they stay and melt and form a puddle when they're done. In doing things like, mages can still better aid construction without outright putting some people out of a job, etc...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2017 :  01:24:17  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AO increased the size of Faerun's land mass the SCAG said, so some of that new land could have filled it in.

That is why Faerun is actually bigger then it was in 4e.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2017 :  02:29:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, its bigger because it went back to the way it was in 1e/2e, which is great (we got all our 'fiddly bits' back!)

But yeah, Ao *cough*

"It bigger on the Inside" - Ao uses British Scify technology.

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2017 :  02:41:50  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah that bit in the SCAG didn't really account for the fact that the maps got squidged in 3e, not 4e - there's no real explaining around that one, unless you retcon that the 3e maps were created by someone living in the 4e era...

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2017 :  03:57:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
any maps would have to have been made after Nasher as the man the myth and legend forbid maps of neverwinter from being made, or it was illegally made and inaccurate

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2017 :  20:20:59  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

In fact, that could be a good feat... something that makes various types of walls and stuff permanent without concentration (or even if you just made them last a year or so, which would allow a community to throw up temporary walls and build permanent walls behind them.... making a wall of ice that lasts a day would give you enough time to chip it down to cool off drinks, etc.). It would have to have a LOT of those types of benefits to be worth it though.

Actually wall of stone can be made permanent if the caster keeps the concentration going for the full duration.

But not the others...bah humbug.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2017 :  21:20:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way I look at it, the older maps (and now newer maps) were done with a 'projection', which means on the extremes (top and bottom) of the map everything gets stretched (like RW maps with a Mercator Projection). That would mean the 3e (and probably 4e) maps were actually more size-accurate, because they were 'local' and didn't have any the distortion you get on the larger maps.

Of course, that doesn't really hold water once you start measuring stuff and looking at distances in written products, but it was the best i could come up with (in 3e - the fact that they've gone back to the 'bigger, better' format kind of screws all that up).

If we go with what they are trying to pull-off, then maybe we lost a lot of terrain during the ToT (which also had 'magical chaos'), and by the time Torillians remapped everything it was 3e. The 'Wild magic Zones' could have been like giant drains, drawing matter into other planes/worlds (like how if you depressurize a plane or spaceship, things get sucked-out). Then comes 5e and they have to remap everything all over again (must suck living in an ever-changing, magical world).

Go to Top of Page

Ari
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2017 :  17:36:52  Show Profile Send Ari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Idea: since most people don't actually know much about the world because they can't afford to travel, they rely on maps. So who benefits from constant changes to geography, distance and the like in time spans that exceed "normal"(human) lifespans? Wizards.

The whole deal with shrinking, expanding, switcherooing landmasses is all a backstage plot by wziards the world over to control the continental economy and fix the prices of Gate travel/fixed portals. It took you five days to get from Suzail to Tilverton a hundred years ago? Buckle up friendo now it takes fifteen. A constant is the subtle warp keeping Kara-Tur, Al-Qadim and Faer#363;n largely separate, both to maintain a "pure" vision of the world and to keep prices up on goods from there.

Anyway, Wandering Sword's idea of cutting a channel from Neverwinter river to the Chasm does seem likthe "best" solution, that is most interesting and graceful and unreliant on random magic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2017 :  18:35:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless there's a cabal of wizards (aside from those dwelling on the seashore) who gather with the express purpose of physically re-arranging geography, a plot by in-setting wizards to benefit from the uncertainty is rather unlikely. Moving all that land around would take a heck of a lot of power; we're talking something on the scale with the elven Sundering.

And trying some grand fakery won't work when travelers are traversing the terrain and can directly say how long it took.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 May 2017 18:37:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000