Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What Languages Does Fzoul Chembryl Speak?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hymer
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2017 :  17:15:06  Show Profile Send hymer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Obviously, the man should be able to deal with just about any language via all the various magic and spells at his disposal (or bypass the problem entirely), but which languages has he learned?

My only FC stats are from 3.0, and they don't mention what languages he can speak on his own. It's obviously not a big deal, but my idle curiosity won't sit still just for that reason.

Any wise thoguhts, clever observations, or outright stats?

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2017 :  17:43:16  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 3rd edition Races of Faerun got some lists of ethnic groups of humans and lands they are found. From there, Moonsea region is dominated by Vaasans, With 15% damaran and 8% chondatan.
Most likely he is of one of those groups, and would then by the rules know, most likely damaran and common if he's vaasan or damaran.
Go to Top of Page

hymer
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2017 :  17:55:51  Show Profile Send hymer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good thinking. He also sports a 14 Int, which should net him two bonus languages.So he may know more.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2017 :  18:06:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cant remember what the moonsea cities speak but ill guess at a chondathan language. He would also likely speak common and beholder given his associations with them

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

hymer
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2017 :  20:02:20  Show Profile Send hymer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently Damaran is the regional tongue around the Moonsea. Beholder language makes a lot of sense, though they would speak Undercommon too, I expect.

Did FC grow up around the Moonsea?
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2017 :  21:47:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some reason i think he grew up in sembia but i will have to double check.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2017 :  03:52:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't say he's a native, but The Ruins of Zhentil Keep says that Fzoul was the only son of a minor noble in Zhentil Keep. So he was either born and raised in Zhentil Keep or someplace nearby.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2017 :  04:46:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given his interests I'd throw in Abyssal and Infernal. In third edition, I'd even have him spend some skill points to get Thorass, Draconic, undercommon, orc, goblin, elven, and giant.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2017 :  04:31:38  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What language is the Common Tongue based on? Chondathan? Or some other human dialect?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2017 :  05:34:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Page 84 of the 3E FRCS:

quote:
Common grew from a kind of pidgin Chondathan and is most closely related to that language, but it is far simpler and less expressive. Nuances of speech, naming, and phrasing are better conveyed in the older, more mature languages, since Common is little more than a trade language.

Of course, with everything that's been done to the setting since 3E, it's now quite possible that Common has been retconned into a French dialect.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Apr 2017 05:35:15
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2017 :  15:20:37  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Page 84 of the 3E FRCS:

quote:
Common grew from a kind of pidgin Chondathan and is most closely related to that language, but it is far simpler and less expressive. Nuances of speech, naming, and phrasing are better conveyed in the older, more mature languages, since Common is little more than a trade language.

Of course, with everything that's been done to the setting since 3E, it's now quite possible that Common has been retconned into a French dialect.

I found the "mature Languages" part interesting. Is common some shallow creole With few native speakers? or an "European Swahili", a Language not belonging to one nation, but related to all (and easily learnt?
I sort of don't buy the "common is simpler" explantation, it usually would mean noone speak it natively, and noone write songs, books or raise children as speakers of it.
I'd assume it's there to make players pick up human Languages too, not just hop into "Elven, Gnome, Orc, Giant and Infernal" as usual?
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2017 :  15:27:59  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Surprised neither Villain's Lorebook (2E) nor the 3E FRCS say it, but they don't. That said, he traveled extensively between the Western Heartlands, the Dales, Vilhon Reach, and Moonsea, so using 3.5E PGtF, he should have Damaran (native), Chondathan, and Common for sure. Beyond that, it's up in the air, he probably knows Deep Speech (language of Beholders and other aberrations which he hated and death tyrants which he made), but I wouldn't think he would need more than that and it works for his Int 14 (in both 2E and 3E). And all that said, he was elevated to a demigod in 4E, so he probably knows all languages now.
Go to Top of Page

hymer
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2017 :  21:09:13  Show Profile Send hymer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds very plausible. Are Undercommon and Deep Speech different languages?
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2017 :  22:25:43  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Undercommon is an trade language used underground, same way Common is used on the surface.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2017 :  02:43:58  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fzoul is a Demigod (exarch) now, since 4e so he speak all of them.
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2017 :  22:45:36  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the very least, he would be able to speak every language spoken by worshippers of Bane.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Edited by - Storyteller Hero on 25 Apr 2017 22:45:58
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000