Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 AD&D starter set (yellow box) NPCs?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Morgan Coldsoul
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2017 :  20:48:29  Show Profile  Visit Morgan Coldsoul's Homepage Send Morgan Coldsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hopefully there are plenty here who remember the old yellow-box starter set. Mine is currently in storage at my parents' house, so I was hoping someone could give me a hand, since I'm not sure when I'll have a good chance to dig it out.

I'm doing a 5th Edition conversion of The Tomb of Damara adventure module that came with that set (the one starring Bonegnasher the ogre and "the great wizard Netheril," lol). I actually still have most of my notes from back when I did a 3.5 update of this same module for an old campaign, but I seem to have misplaced the list of NPCs. :(

Does anyone have a copy of this module close at hand from which you could possibly give me a list of the NPCs of Freedale? I just need their names, honestly, but it would feel better if I could actually call them by what I consider to be their proper names, since the adventure is one with special importance to me and I want to respect that nostalgia when I run it for my group.

In the battle between good and evil...evil gets better clothes.

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2017 :  21:41:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
not sure if it will help you, but there's a pay what you want conversion up on DMs Guild

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/202328/Tomb-of-Damara-5e-Conversion?

I don't recall that adventure, but it definitely sounds like a starter.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2017 :  06:10:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its weird - I don't have this, but I have the map from it, so now I am wondering how the heck I got the map without having the product.

I guess maybe someone scanned me a copy or some-such...

I know I DID have a copy of it, back before my house burned, but the computer also burned, so that wouldn't explain how I have the map now. What edition was that? 2e?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Apr 2017 06:11:29
Go to Top of Page

Morgan Coldsoul
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2017 :  19:10:21  Show Profile  Visit Morgan Coldsoul's Homepage Send Morgan Coldsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@slevyas Thanks! I saw that when I went a-Googling, and given it's like $.50, I don't have a problem with throwing money at it, even if it turns out not to be what I'm looking for. I think it is, I just don't know if it has what I want from the original or not. And yeah, it was a starter. First adventure I ever played!

@Markustay Yes, it was 2E/AD&D. The yellow box came with a miniature or abbreviated version of the DMG/MM/PHB to get you going, 3 adventure modules, a two-sided folding map for the first two adventures, and a gray Realms splatbook called The Book of Lairs. The adventures were called "The Tomb of Damara," "The House on Harrow Hill," and "(something something) Undermountain." Ironically, I have TBoL on my shelf, within arm's reach, but I don't have anything else from that set here at my own place, and of course that's the material I need.

It was a weird set because the box had a big picture of the Dragonlance MCs on the back, but all the material inside was Realms stuff, even if a lot of it was kind of a haphazard mishmash—like they were using FR buzzwords, at random, to name stuff but trying to keep it vague so the adventure could be happening anywhere. Very "fantasy realm of Generica" sort of thing. I still love it, though. :P

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2017 :  19:39:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never heard of this.

Now i need to get it so i can complete the collection that i thought was mostly complete until now. Dammit

Could you post the exact title so i can find it. Pretty please

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 11 Apr 2017 19:40:41
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2017 :  19:58:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love it for an entirely different reason - it gives us settlements in Shadowdale, which we so desperately need (because its the ONLY dale without 'other settlements' within it.. at least, map-wise).

I recall reading through the adventures to place them at one point, but like I said, I don't seem to have it anymore (unless the file has some cryptic string of letters and numbers for a name, which does happen on occasion).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Morgan Coldsoul
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2017 :  21:23:30  Show Profile  Visit Morgan Coldsoul's Homepage Send Morgan Coldsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@dazzlerdal I found a link here:

http://www.nobleknight.com/productdetailsearch.asp_Q_ProductID_E_10438_A_InventoryID_E_0

Just for quick reference. It's the 1996 TSR "Complete Starter Set Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Game." Here's an image of the box art:

http://crystal-cdn3.crystalcommerce.com/photos/879111/large/starter.jpg

@Markustay Yeah, the village was called "Freedale" in the text, but that's along the same lines as calling the local wizard "Netheril" or the king buried in the tomb "Damara." Once you actually know the Realms, it becomes kind of weird in retrospect. But the map that showed the surrounding region did place it some few days' travel north (I think) of Shadowdale, probably to prompt a connection to a famous place so it would be easier for players to learn more about the area and keep adventuring after the modules were played out. Or, so I would guess.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2017 :  03:35:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just fudge the names a bit. Or use the 'uncertain first person' of 'unreliable reporting' - the name of the wizard could have gotten mixed-up with the people who orginally built his tower, etc.

The King could have been Diemaraa, or some such. like that. Honor the source, but don't cleave to it, necessarily. When I do conversions/updates, part of what I strive for is making 'better' than the original, and the easiest way to do that is fix any silliness and 'Realms it up' more.

And 'Freedale' works fine for me, even if it is generic. It stays well within the 'dales' flavor.

Go to Top of Page

Morgan Coldsoul
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2017 :  04:06:43  Show Profile  Visit Morgan Coldsoul's Homepage Send Morgan Coldsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I can totally fudge the wackier names; I'm already calling the village "Delefrae" (an anagram of "Freedale"), and I'll do similarly with the ruins and the local wizard (now a woman called Marizanne). I was just hoping to use the actual names of, for instance, the cleric who runs the temple, or the guy who owns the West Wind Stables, etc. It's the townsfolk, specifically, that I wanted to try and use the original provided names for, is all. Out of nostalgia. :P

Go to Top of Page

Morgan Coldsoul
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2017 :  23:02:45  Show Profile  Visit Morgan Coldsoul's Homepage Send Morgan Coldsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
omg I found it on an ancient Angelfire page

http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/knightsofthevalley/freedaletown.html

There are a lot of typos, but this is it!

Edited by - Morgan Coldsoul on 12 Apr 2017 23:08:41
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2017 :  00:36:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay...

Can you NOT C&P from Anglefire?

I just tried to make a file for that information (and thank you for sharing the link), and it acts like it copies it, but it won't paste into a new document. Any comp-saavy people have any idea why that would be?

Its just pastes some weird jibberish (squigly red lines) into the document instead, where the words should be.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Apr 2017 00:39:57
Go to Top of Page

Morgan Coldsoul
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2017 :  00:40:46  Show Profile  Visit Morgan Coldsoul's Homepage Send Morgan Coldsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. I'm not sure. I was able to copy and paste from the webpage directly into a Word document, and it seems to be okay, but...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2017 :  02:26:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Okay...

Can you NOT C&P from Anglefire?

I just tried to make a file for that information (and thank you for sharing the link), and it acts like it copies it, but it won't paste into a new document. Any comp-saavy people have any idea why that would be?

Its just pastes some weird jibberish (squigly red lines) into the document instead, where the words should be.

Do a control-A to select all of the text, then change the font color. What's likely happening is it's copying the text in white, which you'd not see on the default white background in Word. The text is there, though, and Word is twigging to it being misspelled.

Alternatively, if you don't mind losing the formatting, copy to Notepad or something similar, first, and then from there to Word.

I had a similar issue, many years ago, before I knew all that much about computers. I was copying some stuff from the BattleTech site and couldn't figure out where my text was.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Apr 2017 02:28:14
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2017 :  03:46:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL. Thanks Wooly - I had a feeling t would be something simple.

I'll try it again in the morning. Its getting late here and I had a very busy day. I'm falling asleep sitting up in my comp chair right now.

Go to Top of Page

killerasus
Acolyte

Brazil
13 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2017 :  12:19:24  Show Profile  Visit killerasus's Homepage Send killerasus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It first appeared in the First Quest boxed set (not to be confused with the First Quest music CD released earlier), and it wasn't connected to the Realms or other setting (although I recall somewhere being suggested to put it in Karameikos, Mystara). There was also an adventure acting as a tie-in to Spelljammer and the last adventure was to present dungeon crawling style. I didn't know it was reissued in a yellow box. It was a starter set with audio CD suggesting dialogs and interactions through the adventures. There was a similar release for the Mystara setting detailing the kingdom of Karameikos.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7849/introduction-advanced-dungeons-dragons
https://boardgamegeek.com/rpgitem/56515/first-quest

In the First Quest release, the town was just called The Town. Here are the NPCs:
- Archmage Nethril (yeah, no 'e' there)
- Sethel the Scribe
- Farrish the Priest (from The Temple)
- Foxworth the Moneylender
- Gart Stonenose (from The Store)
- Fendrick (from Fendrick's Fine Foods)
- Cordac the Leatherworker

Some NPCs not from the city, but from the adventures: the elf-lord Taran Goldenstar that you sought in the Tomb of Demara, the villain from the House on Harrow Hill was a ghost called Gunter Weiss, the Giff from the Spelljammer-like adventure (Across Wildspace! -- I guess a nod the The Beatles) is Captain Blotomus, Kordak the Evil is a necromancer in Under Mount Dread, and the Duergar priest Axerock from the same adventure.

The sample player characters, on other hand, were iconic: Beldar the Brave, Slinker (I think the image might be from Graymouser), Lordan the Pure, Morganth the Mysterious (using Fizban image), Silverleaf Halfmoon (Tanis Half-elven from Dragonlance), and Delvar Ironfist (our beloved Bruenor Battlehammer).

EDIT: I checked that in the re-release of these adventures in both Introduction to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Game (blue box) and the Complete Starting Set Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Game (yellow box) the town was indeed repurposed as Freedale in the Realms.

I blog in Brazilian Portuguese about RPGs at http://minasdesal.wordpress.com

Edited by - killerasus on 18 Jan 2018 06:34:52
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2017 :  15:09:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sick Mound sounds interesting. Moander, maybe?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 06 Dec 2017 15:10:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic