Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Gnomes: An overlooked race.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2017 :  17:31:22  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Over looked?
Very much so.
They do not even have any female goddesses.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2017 :  17:33:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What?

You've never heard of Garl Glittergold's sister, Cattie CuteCushions?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2017 :  17:53:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gnome more! Gnome more!

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2017 :  01:37:27  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

What?

Nice shot old boy!

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2017 :  07:13:06  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

Over looked?
Very much so.

Considering that they have 8 gnomish gods not counting Nebelun who may or may not also be Gond, it's more likely to be some peculiarity of their religion.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2017 :  12:31:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

Over looked?
Very much so.

Considering that they have 8 gnomish gods not counting Nebelun who may or may not also be Gond, it's more likely to be some peculiarity of their religion.

Its a little known secret that gnomes are a single sexed race. However, they find themselves more accepted by other cultures if they have females. This is why they have such a focus on illusion magic in their community, and many individuals specialize in dressing as females do in other cultures. Though many of you will scoff at this notion, it is the absolute truth and is confirmed to me by none other than Phlandra Alabaster herself.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2017 :  15:30:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean she was not a woman???

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2017 :  16:07:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So gnomish females are really Traps?

EDIT:
And I'm not sure if it actually says it anywhere, but since the halflings and gnomes share so many things (and gnomes are even covered under a 'Hin' article written by Ed), it has always been my belief that they at least 'respect', if not out-right worship, the halfing deities as well, and two females (or really just one with two aspects) sits at the top of that pantheon.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Oct 2017 16:09:15
Go to Top of Page

Corruption
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2017 :  09:18:48  Show Profile Send Corruption a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Didn't you know that Gnomes make the best traps?

When all, even Gods, must die, then live a life worth living
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2017 :  10:34:46  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What?

And Garl's second cousin, Tawny Twinpeaks.

Patron goddess of the rarely-heard-of mountain gnomes.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2017 :  13:47:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

quote:

What?

And Garl's second cousin, Tawny Twinpeaks.

Patron goddess of the rarely-heard-of mountain gnomes.

I think I met her at my bachelor party.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2017 :  13:43:13  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Corruption

quote:

Didn't you know that Gnomes make the best traps?

They certainly sell the best traps, but how do you know they aren't stolen? Everybody knows Gnomes are skilled enough thieves to steal the best traps.

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2017 :  18:20:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once, many years ago, I encountered a dodgy character who did indeed look rather gnomish. He approached me at a bus station and tried to sell me a stolen car alarm system.

It seemed like an unwise investment for many different reasons, lol.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 18 Oct 2017 18:22:15
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2017 :  18:38:16  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Traps themselves are an oddity.

Back in ye olde 1E era the antagonistic DM would devise traps which were inescapably lethal. Players wisely feared traps and wasted great amounts of time plodding slowly while methodically scrutinizing every surface and every object they found within any dungeon. Failure to detect a trap inevitably meant one or more PCs would die in a sudden and violent manner. Many adventures, modules, supplements, Dungeon or Dragon articles, and books like Grimtooth's Traps existed to inspire fearfully effective TPK traps. Often combined with 1E's nasty poisons and horrible curses to just add insult to overkill and seriously debilitate any who dared survive (along with any fools who got caught in the trap while attempting to rescue their comrades). Traps were lethal to low-level characters who lacked hit points, traps just scaled their damages up dramatically to remain lethal to high-level characters who had great hit points and strong protections. The (sometimes gnomish) thief was an important and valued party member, even if he sometimes pocketed a little more than his fair share of the loot.
Traps often had devilishly detailed, complex, and somewhat implausible mechanisms. They were decidedly unsportsmanlike and did not "play fair". The purpose of a trap was to kill.

Tamed down much in subsequent game editions. By 3E a trap (or a poison) was simply a little stat block with a few dice of damage. Just like traps in CRPG and ARPG video games ... they're more an annoyance than a real threat and no character (gnomish or otherwise) would ever dedicate much focus towards trap-related skills. You set off a trap, get hit by the blade or bolt or little gas cloud or blast of fire/lightning, gulp a potion, and continue looting. Only the most seriously incompetent or grievously wounded PCs could actually be killed by a trap.
Traps contained more fluff than crunch. The purpose of a trap was to create suspense and add flavour and interpose a so-called "challenge".

So I feel that gnomish repute (such as it is/was) would be nerfed alongside the nerfing of the traps and illusions which they've mastered.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 18 Oct 2017 19:02:05
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2017 :  20:43:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, traps were an integral part of OD&D/1e, but they were phased-out. I miss the very different experience those old games were - plodding along slowly, tapping everywhere with your "10' pole", and having the dwarf "check for sliding walls/sloping corridors/etc", while the elf kept a lookout for hidden doors, and the thief was all over the place checking for - and disarming - traps. Nowadays, its just about getting to the next encounter (very much like a video game).

The game does move along quicker, especially with the streamlined combat (no 'hundred different tables' you needed to reference all the time), but dungeons were something that you used to need to build a 'base camp' outside of, and move through a little at a time, each day (so you could recover spells/HP/etc). You were also expected to eat and sleep. Now, its just none-stop push-'till-the-end.

I feel like a lot of the sense of accomplishment is gone.

EDIT:
But how about them gnomes, eh? Its like Binky Babycheeks of The Shaman's Fetish in Waterdeep says, "To gnome me is to love me".

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Oct 2017 20:48:15
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2017 :  22:06:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go big or go gnome. Gnomesayin, gnomeboy?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2017 :  04:12:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't deal with all these puns. Gnome more, please!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000