Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Do you think Evermeet was a mistake?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29640 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2017 :  00:40:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's part of why I've maintained that even before a Netherese enclave fell on it, that Myth Drannor worked best largely unclaimed. And though I'm behind on reading my FR novels, I've been told that it was that way in canon, despite the way the ending of the Last Mythal books makes it look over and done with.

My take has always been that the reclaimed part was something more like a walled frontier settlement: a place where you can relax in safety, but where you're close enough to step through a gate and into danger. A small part of the city has been reclaimed and resettled, but it's still just a small area, surrounded by dangerous ruins. And that small area serves as a base for expeditions into "the wilds" of the unclaimed city.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13101 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2017 :  05:51:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, and thanks to the Spellplague nonsense, we could even ADD to those ruins, without it being weird.

So despite there being tiny 'Points of Light' in and around Myth Drannor now, the ruins themselves could be far more extensive - and dangerous - than they were even in the past.

Now take that and add-in that we already knew of tons of subterranean stuff that went on there (including some dwarves that were building their own places beneath the woods), and the entire forest starts to become the ultimate mega-dungeon, with Myth Drannor as its hub. The city itself - as massive as it is - is merely the tip of the iceberg. Or, at least, they can start spinning it that way. It could easily compete with Undermountain (and be connected with that place - and Skullport - if one had the fortitude to walk that far in the Underdark). And then there's Gates.

They can use it as 5e's version of the Chaos Scar - all different level encounters/areas clustered in one spot, with several different (level) 'bases' for PCs to resupply and rest between 'runs'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Mar 2017 05:53:03
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000