Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Harpers - What do they do?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2017 :  05:19:54  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Scribes,

Been working on a Harper game now for some time but I am having trouble because I've had a hard time figuring out exactly what the Harpers do. I know what they stand for and have read the Code, but it's somewhat vague on the kinds of actions they'd take.

What I had in mind was that Harpers were kind of like "good spies" akin to the old James Bond where you "take care of problems" in the world where tyranny or evil or chaos is trying to take over or cause destruction. You might do that subvertly but there's gonna be shootouts and stuff like that. You know, like James Bond.

Am I a on the mark? Or do Harpers not work that way?

Jesus said, "I am the Ressurection and the Life. Anyone who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and those who live and believe in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2017 :  05:54:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Harpers are largely akin to freedom fighters in the looser sense of the term ... non-government-sanctioned users of violence for political purposes, although most of what they achieve isn't through just violent means. It's through manipulation, liberal guidance of private and public officials, and good old fashion persuasive techniques.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2017 :  06:29:45  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

The Harpers are largely akin to freedom fighters in the looser sense of the term ... non-government-sanctioned users of violence for political purposes, although most of what they achieve isn't through just violent means. It's through manipulation, liberal guidance of private and public officials, and good old fashion persuasive techniques.

Thanks for the reply! So---does that mean my good spies sent to stop evil in the world is off the mark? Is there another guild in the Realms more in line with that kind of activity?

Jesus said, "I am the Ressurection and the Life. Anyone who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and those who live and believe in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2017 :  07:23:21  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that would be something they would do since that is something a harper agent would go tend with....

another guild? Moonstars would also deal with that .

choose your paladin order

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2017 :  07:33:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but its more altruistic than RW spies. They don't answer to any governement, and will even work at odds with 'good' governments if it suits the 'greater good', in their opinion.

And they work in cells, like terrorists groups, so two Harpers could be working at odds with each other, not even realizing it. A LOT of what they do is based on their onw judgement calls, and they aren't always right. The do answer to superiors, but really do 'orders' come "from on high". There's actually two tiers - those who REALLY know whats going on - and those guys DO have very specific missions/agendas, and then the bulk of the organization - who are giving a very long leash and don't really know much about what other Harpers are up to and are considered 'meddlers', at best (and I think that group is mostly a 'cover' for the true group at its heart, and also to provide muscle in the rare times they need it).

So yeah, 'spies', and a lot like fictional spy groups, in that they are spies for spying sake, not for any particular country. In fact, they don't work for countries because part of what they do is making sure no one country - even a 'good' one like Cormyr - becomes TOO powerful (because, ya know, tyranny and stuff). I guess they are more about 'freedom' than anything else (they ALWAYS focus heavily on any slaving operation they uncover). So maybe more like 'James Bond meets the Underground Railroad' (with just a dash of Thuggee cult thrown in the mix, since a small part of what they are is god-related, and they aren't above murder and sabotage to achieve their goals).

EDIT:
But more than anything, they are a VAST information-gathering network for Mystra's Chosen. In that, they are the most like spies - they are FR's non-affiliated CIA. When you have the Goddess of Mysteries working at odds to the Goddess of Shadows, good information is both invaluable and hard to come by.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Feb 2017 07:37:00
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2017 :  07:37:26  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Spy_networks

more spy networks.....

not sure how up to date it is

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000