Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Big Scroll of "Where are they now?"s
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ari
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2017 :  04:18:46  Show Profile Send Ari a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, as life itself has shown, things are forgotten. Plots, ideas, characters, even entire planes of existence can slip through the cracks and into oblivion as people with differing priorities handle the ungainly weight of an overarching, living and changing universe.

In honour of those who fell off I'd like you folks to venture notions of just what could have possibly happened to whatever setting aspect you liked(or at least found tolerable) that just disappeared. With no explanation or apparent purpose.

I will start with that most enhancement talent of dragons: Klauth the Fiery, the Old Snarl.

Battle-scarred and wily veteran of a thousand and ten fights, a red dragon with a capricious and mercurial temperment that led him into the depths of obsessive, violent paranoia and to the heights of earnest, unasked altruism, Klauth was last seen gearing up for another rampage with magic items bound to his wings, his nigh-inaccessible refuge in the Klauthen Vale of the Spine mountain range in the North a target for countless, and luckless, treasure seekers chasing the accumulated wealth of countless other dragons.

Yes I know in the video game Neverwinter Nights the player character kills Klauth, and references to the game are sprinkled throughout the Neverwinter Campaign Setting book, but you also kill Obould Many-Arrows in the game and THAT never became canon.

Klauth was different. An evil git who fed on the death of his kind and kin, but not without a sense of mercy or mischief. He was more than just another red dragon baddie in a cave and deserved better than to be lost in the mists of time.

Klauth: he never tired of the taste of baby dragon.

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2017 :  04:55:56  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great idea! However, Klauth didn't fall between any cracks: he is still around and has a mention in the very latest piece of Realmslore we have: Storm King's Thunder.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Ari
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2017 :  05:05:10  Show Profile Send Ari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait what?! I thought for sure the thing I hadn't read but had info on him would be in that Tiamat adventure series! What's he been up to? Is he still a cannibalistic recluse?

That or he'd gone to Abeir and was busy trying to overthrow one of the dragon empires so he could be in charge.
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2017 :  06:49:17  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Old Snarl plays a significant role during that adventure. He still fancies scrying on things from afar. He's allowed Cult of the Dragon members to approach him, although he doesn't seem particularly taken with them. He's also interested in what the giants are up to, and may even aid adventurers against them (although he proves to not be a true ally). For more details, I suggest you pick it up!

It may also be of interest that Klauth is more powerful than anything in the 5e Monster Manual short of the Tarrasque.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Ari
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2017 :  07:01:13  Show Profile Send Ari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am 100% down with this information. That is even entirely in-character. I will pick it up, thanks KanzenAU!

In other topics, what things that HAVE just stopped existing do you have ideas of for of the, of for this?
Go to Top of Page

Mankyle
Acolyte

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2017 :  09:26:47  Show Profile Send Mankyle a Private Message  Reply with Quote

SKT has a ton of info on the North in the 5e era.

It gives info about Klauth, Claugiyimatar, Felgolos and a couple new dragons. It updates info about many places in the North and gives also some info about the current situation in Waterdeep.

Another dragon from the Wyrm of the North series of articles, Nurvureem, is updated in PotA. There is a discrepance between 2e/3e sources and the 5e regarding the draconic protector of the Silmerhelve noble family.
In 2e/3e lore it was called Nymmurh. In 5e it is called Umseryoth (maybe a descendedant of Nymnurh??)

Anyway most of the Wyrms of the North can still be used.

Regarding Waterdeep.... the city has more or less returned to its 3.5 state:
-Mistshore gone
-Field ward gone
-New Temples in the city (Valkur and Eilistraee)
-Laeral Silverhand new Open Lord
-Waterdeep Guard gone and the city wants to restablish it
-Waterdeep Navy gone and the city wants to restablish it
-Waterdeep Griffon Cavalry gone and the city wants to restablish it
- Melairshield is failing
- Guilds are more or less the same
- no new info about Anghairon's Dragonstaff

The problem I see is that in 5e, even if they have provided good crunch (I love 5e rules) I find this edition severily lacking in fluff (and it seems like Ed Greenwood has "forgotten" the Realms and he's dedicating all his efforts to his new Stormtalons setting)

I fear for the future of the Realms....
:(

Edited by - Mankyle on 21 Feb 2017 09:28:26
Go to Top of Page

Ari
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2017 :  20:58:09  Show Profile Send Ari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterdeep's vanished defense forces sound like a joke from Discworld, some joke about governments cutting vital services.

That would be a perfect joke for Dagult Neverember to be responsible for, disbanding the entire armed forces of the city to save money on the logic that since when has a city's militia or warships actually done Jack in fantasy. Footing Laeral Silverhand with the staggering bill of recreating the militia and buying griffons and building ships from scratch.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2017 :  01:30:23  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mankyle

Regarding Waterdeep.... the city has more or less returned to its 3.5 state:
-Mistshore gone
-Field ward gone
-New Temples in the city (Valkur and Eilistraee)
-Laeral Silverhand new Open Lord
-Waterdeep Guard gone and the city wants to restablish it
-Waterdeep Navy gone and the city wants to restablish it
-Waterdeep Griffon Cavalry gone and the city wants to restablish it
- Melairshield is failing
- Guilds are more or less the same
- no new info about Anghairon's Dragonstaff

The problem I see is that in 5e, even if they have provided good crunch (I love 5e rules) I find this edition severily lacking in fluff (and it seems like Ed Greenwood has "forgotten" the Realms and he's dedicating all his efforts to his new Stormtalons setting)

I fear for the future of the Realms....
:(

I hear you on this. I didn't like what 4e did to the setting as a whole, and I am glad 5e restored it. However, I too miss the "fluff". Previous campaign guides were thick and had plenty of lore. 5e is more like a brief summary. I miss the novels, the lore details.

There were some good books that came out of the 4e era, in spite of how I felt about the edition as a whole, and I would love to know what happened to some of those characters, as many of the series were unfinished.

Chosen of Nendawen (sp?)
Unbroken Chain
Mistshore and it's follow-up, Spider and Stone

I want to know what these characters are up to.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2017 :  03:36:21  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
aaah storm talons.... not sure that one was created by him....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2017 :  03:49:31  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ari

Yes I know in the video game Neverwinter Nights the player character kills Klauth, and references to the game are sprinkled throughout the Neverwinter Campaign Setting book, but you also kill Obould Many-Arrows in the game and THAT never became canon.

Was there a canon story to the game? For example, when I last played it I did not kill Obould Many-Arrows. I am guessing there is also an option to not kill Klauth. What is the actual story supposed to be for both? Is there one?

Edited by - Taleras on 02 Mar 2017 03:49:58
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2017 :  10:00:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... funky thing about nwn... too many lore issues.

ah yes. Kluath. either you could kill him OR do his side quest thing about canabling another dragon. elsewhere in the map there was a blue dragon....

I kust kill him all the time.

and that what said he was Obould was a ogre not an orc. Futhermore at the time nwn Obould was elsewhere in the realms.....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2017 :  13:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taleras

quote:
Originally posted by Ari

Was there a canon story to the game? For example, when I last played it I did not kill Obould Many-Arrows. I am guessing there is also an option to not kill Klauth. What is the actual story supposed to be for both? Is there one?

The only canon reference to the NWN game that I'm aware of is a note about the Wailing Plague occuring in the Grand History of the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2017 :  13:41:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

aaah storm talons.... not sure that one was created by him....

Why? It definitely was

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000