Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Any idea why the T'uLung emperor was in Mulhorand?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

BadCatMan
Learned Scribe

Australia
285 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  11:37:44  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
One aspect to this that I was presenting was this concept that while everyone sees the sun (even Abeirans), depending on your religious belief you will see a different deity interacting with the sun. So, for instance, the Mazticans see Tezca in the sky, but the Azuposi see the spirit known as Sun Father. The Metahel see a deity I based on Frey that I named "Fraeyollo" (I made up a whole Norse like pantheon for them, using slightly altered names, different history, etc...). The Mulhorandi see Ra (and are surprised to see him alive again... I did this due to the SCAG having Ra back), with Horus riding beside him. The red wizards of the United Tharchs see Lathander, but some even see Horus-Re looking vengeful at the same time. Some individuals have come to accept all of these religions, in which case they actually saw multiple deities in the sky.

Anyway, what if something like this also exists in Kara-Tur, and it helps FUEL belief in the Celestial Emperor. If you believe, then when you look into the Sky, you can see Heaven. Outsiders that look up are confused, because they cannot see what the people of Kara-Tur see. Similarly, maybe outsiders who don't believe cannot see the Moon Women, the Rice Spirits, the Jade Ladies, the Ladies of Compassion, the Lords of Karma, the Spirit Warriors, etc... without some kind of magical aid. To an outsider, they see some commoner interacting with a spirit, and its like they're interacting with something invisible.... yet see invisibility still doesn't reveal them (true seeing would). Maybe make some "spirit interaction" spell that's low level (1st level maybe... maybe even a cantrip), but that exists over all of Kara-Tur kind of like a giant mythal that casts this spell on anyone who believes.

This is similar to my personal view that the gods are created/defined by the beliefs of mortals and thus beliefs are only locally true for each culture and race. For example, each has their own sun god, and there are multiple sun gods, all being sun gods. Then the heresies and shifting beliefs of mortals change their sun gods.

quote:
Oh, and thank you for the GHotR reference. So, the Nine Immortals came to be emperor at different times. From a "chicken/egg" perspective that can be important.

Chicken and egg indeed. As Markustay said, Shou history is mostly falsified, exaggerated, and censored, especially the official histories. Hence why I arranged the Chan Cheng article as I did. It's necessary to distinguish proper history from myth and legend, and take it all with a bucket of salt.

quote:
And that leads to another question.... if there is an actual heaven to correspond to Heaven , should there be an underworld in the underdark to correspond to the Underworld ? Might the underdark of Kara-Tur be filled with spirit beings (nature spirits <including elementals and dragons>, demons, the dead, etc...).

I think so. It's not clear where the Underworld lies exactly; I had to make the assumption that it's a part of the Spirit World through interpolation. That it's in the local Spirit World version of the Underdark is a natural next step. The Kozakurans seem to believe it's underground, with a supposed access in a local volcano. However, the Shou think it's off to the west. So, Faerūn? :D

quote:
I would note that if you do this, I would actually have Kara-Tur filled with a lot more dragon spirits, but that they also aren't nearly as strong as a traditional dragon (though some are). In essence have something on the power level of faerie dragons and pseudodragons that might be nature guardians over a collection of lightly timbered hills with a spring, or some larger dragon with wood-like scales protecting a forest, etc... instead of pixie like beings.

I think this is the case, it's the usual belief in place spirits. I imagine, rather than having dragons in every body of water, most of the dragons lie in the Spirit World, and rarely manifest bodily in the real world.

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki and Candlekeep Wiki
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6180 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  13:41:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got an idea while doing something else. Based on the idea that heaven is visible in the sky, and the known idea that Kara-Tur has gliders and the ministry of flight... what if there are "air wu-jen" who have some far off Monastery of "some dragon spirit of the air" and one of the things they've been exploring is flying to heaven via glider. Yeah, I know its very "avatar: the last airbender", but at the same time, it adds a lot more reason for seeking flight by glider. Hell, it may not even be wu-jen... it could be elemental monks.. and DM's guild also has something akin to bending rules for 5e.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14524 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  23:25:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'The Underworld' could just be the Underdark of the Shadowfell (so basically, just another place within the 'Plane of Shadows', where a LOT of 'spirit types' (undead) originated from. Whats that called again? The Underdshadow, or some-such?

On the other hand, for Kara-Tur (OA), I might be tempted to just use my concept of the Border-Ethereal (the 'Milltemarches'), and say THAT has a corresponding 'heaven' ("Above") and 'hell' ("Below"). In fact, the whole of the Mittlemarch could just be K-T's 'Spirit Realm', being a transitive plane that connects all others. Of course, unlike the canon Border-Ethereal, mine also connects to the astral, and this would all make more sense with that bit added (so it would also be a conduit to the godly realms as well, or at least to the Outlands, where most K-T deities reside, IIRC).

To the commoner of K-T (or any OA setting), they wouldn't really know about all those other planes and worlds - they would just know that 'divine beings' (Kami) step-out from the 'Spirit Realm', so they would assume they all came from there, not realizing its just a planer 'super-highway'.

So some being would enter the Border Ethereal and go 'up' to heaven, and others would go 'down' to the Underworld. One main entrance, many paths leading away.

Although, I am still seeing the 'Shadoworld' (Shadowfell) as the best bet for planer underdark setting. It still all works though, if you take my version you enter the Mittlemarch, and you have three main paths you can take - up, down, or forward... forward leads you further into the Ethereal (and eventually into the Phlogiston between worlds), the downwards path take you into the Shadowfell itself, and 'up' lead to the Astral, of course, which eventually leads to 'the Heavens' (the Outer Planes). Thus, the 'Border Ethereal' really just becomes the Border to everything 'spiritual' (KT's 'Spirit World'). Its basically just the 'Wood Between the Worlds' - you step outside 'physicality' into the spirit realm and from there you can travel anywhere.

So we don't have to define the 'Spirit World' as an actual place, so much as it is just a concept of OA. Its just the entrance to everywhere. I feel this smooths the rough edges of combining Asian cosmology with D&D mythos. The 'Celestial Bureaucracy' can exist alongside the concept of The Great Wheel.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jun 2017 23:29:13
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14524 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  23:31:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and the whole "up, down, or forward" is more a metaphysical kind of thing, not those actual, physical directions. You can move in all those directions in a normal, physical way within the Border Ethereal (Spirit World), and still be within it, and moving about it - its still a plane unto itself, with its own geography and inhabitants.

Think of it like a super-highway (the greatest one in the universe). The highway itself can still be huge - I don't know how big they get in other countries, but I know at some places the NJ Turnpike is 16 lanes or more, and has its own spots for gas stations and rest stops, as part of the highway itself. And yet, you can get off at any exit and go 'somewhere else'. So its like that - you can go wherever you like, or just stay on the road itself forever (a nigh-infinitely wide and long 'road').

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jun 2017 23:36:55
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000