Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 A full map of Toril with Laerakond
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6180 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2017 :  23:47:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Also, the article I wrote in Candlekeep IV detailed a number of 'Sea Gates', and there could be many more.

I'm not so thrilled with Jakandor precisely where I placed it in the above link. It probably would have been fine by itself, but with Abeir there it is awfully crowded, which goes against the whole premise of Jakandor. I'd probably shift Jakandor south, and somewhat west. Not entirely replacing 'Tabaxiland', but in that general direction (its a LOT smaller than Tabaxiland).

The only thing I don't like about that is that i feel the futher away we push it, the less likely folks will use it. I felt the other placement was a compromise, but it just don't look right, and the Maztica-crossing has become somewhat easier because of it (although ships might just sail far north of it, rather than circling around the coasts). We could even plunk Jakandor down on the other side of Zakhara, and it might actually be a better fit - perhaps the knorr are from Osse. Of course, than no-one would use it. LOL

Ok, that's what I was wondering, is a comparison size wise of the "tabaxiland" versus Jakandor. Another option would be to keep tabaxiland and merge Jakandor to it, as in only a portion of it transferred to Abeir. There is also that bigger island to the east of tabaxiland/west of Zakhara that's at the trailing end of a bunch of little islands in the great sea. I don't believe anyone ever did anything with that particular island, and its roughly the same shape and orientation for north as Jakandor. So, if that were a better fit for size, that might be a better location.

If the Knorr came from Toril, hit a one way "not always open" sea gate that NORMALLY would have opened somewhere north in the Western Ocean (Patzcoatl) and dumped them down in the Great Sea near these islands. But instead as a result of the spellplague it dumped them into the islands on abeir near Jakandor. It could also be interesting though if the Knorrman came from Osse. They were trading with some "sophisticated traders" who are referred to as "the allies"... they could be from Zakhara or Kara-Tur. Hmmm, I'm buttering up to this idea, especially since the Knorrman seem to be spirit worshippers as well and are more of a mix of Native American/warrior culture. Having multiple "Viking" cultures that none of which exactly match our world's Vikings would make for more flexibility (for instance, the Metahel probably come from Aurune and are more like the Northmen).

On the Laerakond placement, I'd probably make it a little less in line with chult and more northwest of where you placed it (not much mind you... kind of in line with lantan. I'd solely be doing it to place it in a rough placement of where the returning Evermeet may have dragged it..

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 29 Mar 2017 00:35:23
Go to Top of Page

Solauren
Acolyte

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2017 :  23:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Solauren's Homepage Send Solauren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I love finding the little snippets on the Realms L List. If only there was a way to find all the ones Ed posted there (and George and Eric and others).

I know the Secrets of the Archmages website has all the posts on there but I just need some way to auto sift through them

I love it when my site gets mentioned :)

If you have Microsoft Access, I seem to remember having pulled them all into that a while ago. I could double check and put it online for download.

Secrets of the Archmages
http://secretsofthearchmages.net/

The largest (and most complete) mirror of the Wizards of the Coast discussion forums prior to closure
Plus
.... mirrors of other discussion forums
.... copies of websites that have vanished from the internet
.... lots of netbooks and files
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page