Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 A full map of Toril with Laerakond
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Zeromaru X
Learned Scribe

Colombia
205 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2017 :  20:42:41  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi. Here asking another map stuff (so, maybe is a Markustay question). Is there any map that shows all of Toril continents with Laerakond/Returned Abeir in it? Is mostly to do a comparative of size and distance with Faerun and Maztica (I plan to have the three continents on my Realms).

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: There is any canon answer on what happened to Returned Abeir in 5e? It's not mentioned in SCAG, and as far as I know, in Volo's MG they say Maztica returned to Toril. Was Returned Abeir returned to Abeir? (no pun intended) or is still laying around in canon Realms?

Toward the cobalt, there is a shining Earth. That is where sadness begins. All that we love is returning there...

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5021 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2017 :  03:19:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Hi. Here asking another map stuff (so, maybe is a Markustay question). Is there any map that shows all of Toril continents with Laerakond/Returned Abeir in it? Is mostly to do a comparative of size and distance with Faerun and Maztica (I plan to have the three continents on my Realms).

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: There is any canon answer on what happened to Returned Abeir in 5e? It's not mentioned in SCAG, and as far as I know, in Volo's MG they say Maztica returned to Toril. Was Returned Abeir returned to Abeir? (no pun intended) or is still laying around in canon Realms?

No answer as yet on whether Returned Abeir returned, but personally I'm not a fan of giving up things that have been detailed. Since somehow or other "fake" Evermeet got moved near to it, I personally thought "hey, let's have it move with Evermeet so that its out of the way of Maztica". Since I don't believe we ever knew the spatial relationship of the "fake" Evermeet to Laerakond (which if it was ever revealed, someone let me know), I chose that Laerakond was NW of "fake" Evermeet before.... and so now its NW of "Returned Evermeet".... putting Laerakond firmly between Northern Faerun and the continent of Anchorome.... perfect for interacting with both and being a raiding ground for Northmen.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13081 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2017 :  05:46:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
#1, No map, per se, but at one point I did a mock-up thingy just to show the relationship between them all. maybe I can find it.** My timezones map shows the entirety of Toril - just picture Returned Abeir where Maztica is (and I only just now realized I never labeled Maztica on that map... *sigh*)

#2, I am working on a another side-side project that is on the back-burner at present, but maybe I'll post a WIP of it tomorrow. I found a new home for Abeir (better than the last three palaces I stuck it*), and it actually makes another FR region more useful... and fun. Picture it as a 'gateway to Zakhara', but still close to FR... and some of those islands that need love (poor little gnomeses).

Also, I modified the shape of it quite a bit, by resizing the canon map (and parts of my own map), so its not so 'fantasy-ish' (but still keeping the flavor the Atlatean-esque layout).

*Although I still like the Halruaa idea... if they hadn't brought back Halruaa. This version leaves all the old stuff intact ('additive design').

**EDIT:
Just found THIS, which was the mock-up I did. Just ignore Xendrik at the bottom there (it does make a great replacement for Katashaka, though).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jan 2017 19:07:54
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13081 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2017 :  19:40:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I pulled-up the newer 'Abeir in 5e' map I was working on, flattened it, and posted it to DeviantART 'for posterity'.

The New Abeir-near-Chult Map

You can see its now growing off the back of Lantan (like a giant wort LOL), which I did because I wanted to Lantan to get some 5e love, but now I thinking maybe it would have been better served 'very close by but NOT connected'.

I've also pulled Nimbral a little closer, so we get some nifty interaction there (I picture a big alliance of 'flying nations' working at odds with the dragon lords in Abeir, which would include Pegasi rides of Nimbral, Ornithopters from Lanatn, flying ships (and griffin riders) from Halruaa, and perhaps some wyvern-riders from Chult (picturing an old Conan/Vallejo cover).

Please let me know if you guys think this is something worth finishing. I don't want to work on any maps that no-one will wind up using (no matter how 'kewl' the concept is).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Learned Scribe

Colombia
205 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2017 :  19:50:47  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I thing that the very close but not connected is the best approach. The map seems cool.

Is there a 5e map, btw?

Toward the cobalt, there is a shining Earth. That is where sadness begins. All that we love is returning there...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13081 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2017 :  20:09:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is THIS SWORD COAST MAP by Mike Schley (which I've purchased), but I haven't seen any maps that have gone beyond this one. AFAIK, there is no '5e Campaign Map' for The Forgotten Realms.

There is one I got from an article on the WotC site - a preview map, which had a LOT of that map on it, and I was able to download it for free, but now I can't seem to find that article (or map) anywhere. I even searched by file name... weird. I did find it somewhere else though (Google 'Storm king's Thunder' for images), but since the ones I see when I try that approach are NOT on the WotC site, they probably aren't legally reposted (although there may not have been a problem when they were first posted, if Wizard's had posted it themselves, which I am 99% positive they did). Still, I would recommend just buying the full map from Mike Schley's site - its worth it (and the one I am basing all my 5e maps off of... for the most part).

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jan 2017 20:10:34
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
458 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2017 :  21:33:05  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That map Markustay posted is the only "sourcebook" map so far for 5e, which appeared in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. All the other maps have been in adventures, the most complete of which appeared in Storm King's Thunder, and was made accessible through the Extra Life charity donations - available here.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
29 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2017 :  12:09:18  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Please let me know if you guys think this is something worth finishing. I don't want to work on any maps that no-one will wind up using (no matter how 'kewl' the concept is).

Please do.I find your work endless inspiring.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13081 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2017 :  20:01:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I am playing with this again, I put together a 'tool' map by pasting together a bunch of FRIA maps, to make it easier for me to do conversions moving forward (placing and sizing them properly). Its nothing pretty, but it gives a good overview of the major 'Forgotten Realms' playing areas, minus Kara-Tur, and you can see the distances to other regions beyond Faerūn. I originally had no intention of posting it anywhere, but I figure maybe some folks will find it useful, and even give newer FR fans an idea of just how big FR really is.

My 'work map'

Oh, and although quite a bit of text is illegible, its sized at 11 x 8½ (Landscape) at 300 DPI. If anyone bothers to print it, let me know how it comes out.

Cheers

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Mar 2017 20:05:40
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13081 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2017 :  21:19:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And whilst looking for yet another reference in one of Ed's threads, I cam across this response by Ed to a query from Wooly, and it has to do with using Laerakond (Returned Abeir) in the Realms in other ways than 4e did, which could also apply to us simply moving it to a new spot as of 5e, hence my posting a link to it here:

From Ed's 2009 thread, pg.66 - close to the bottom of the page.

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Mar 2017 21:21:26
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Learned Scribe

Colombia
205 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2017 :  22:56:23  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That map is perfect, thanks. Using it alongside with your earlier map of Jakandor/Laerakond, this map will be most useful.

EDIT:

Reading Ed's answer, he says that Laerakond can be located "southwest of Evermeet". Is that the placement of Katakasha? Or my sense of direction is worst than I thought?

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 22 Mar 2017 23:10:15
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000