Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Blackrose Elves
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  08:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've heard rumors of certain elves called "Blackrose Elves" that were the inhabitants of another elven world such as Faerie. However, I have not managed to find any official information on them. All I have so far is "The origins of the Blackrose Elves are mostly unknown. They were first sighted some 1,000 years ago - only later to disappear and were believed to be extinct, though there have been recent reports of activity and sightings. However, most who meet them never live to tell anyone. They are evil and have sadistic traits that almost rival those of the Drow." Even if they actually don't exist in Realmslore, it might be fun to make them into a new player race...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  09:29:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They sound almost like the Sith Shadowfey from the Ravenloft setting.

From where did you first read of this 'official' information Shadowlord...?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  17:30:49  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah Sage, after a bit of delving I discovered that they are a created race, and not truly "canon," though it is as I expected. Hmmm, might be a nice idea to create the race though... At least this elven subrace doesn't have lightbulbs hanging off their foreheads...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  09:34:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually for some time now, I've been wanting to try my hand at the creation of a unique Sidhe-based PC race . If your interested in a little collaborative effort, let me know, and maybe we can come up with something together.

Heh, maybe even something that Alaundo would like to include in the Candlekeep archives...

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  15:44:27  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Heh, maybe even something that Alaundo would like to include in the Candlekeep archives...

Well met

Oh indeed, my dear Sage. Theres always room for such pennings within the library ::pushes aside some musty old tomes and places a "reserved" sign on the shelf::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 04 Apr 2004 15:44:51
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  16:56:34  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, Sage. I agree. Do you want to handle this by etheral mail or here at Candlekeep?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun

Edited by - Shadowlord on 04 Apr 2004 17:01:15
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  19:08:08  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually for some time now, I've been wanting to try my hand at the creation of a unique Sidhe-based PC race . If your interested in a little collaborative effort, let me know, and maybe we can come up with something together.

Hope you don't mind my butting in here, but an easy way to do this would be to reference and use the Fey-Born or Shadow-Born templates from Bryon Wischstadt's FAERIES book from Bastion Press. I know it's not Realms-canonical, but Bryon has always been one of my go-to guys on Realmslore and we both worked to make sure it could work with the Realms and any published setting.

Yes, I recommend it highly, but then again, I am biased here. That said, it's all exactly in line with what y'all discussed herein--an elven subrace linked to Faerie and/or not necessarily the happy side of it either. Good luck with this, wherever your studies take you.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  19:39:12  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nay, Steven, I do not mind at all. Your input is, as always, highly appretiated. As for the tome you mentioned, I do not have one... Mayhaps the Sage of Perth has access to it...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  05:35:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blackrose elves, eh? Sounds like drow flower-children.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  14:00:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

Alright, Sage. I agree. Do you want to handle this by etheral mail or here at Candlekeep?

Until we get a solid basis with which to build upon regarding this new race, I think it would be best if we talk over the ethereal mail service...

I'd considered picking up Bryon Wischstadt's Faeries, but the 'Ravenloft' Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey has plenty of useful material (templates for examples) that we can pillage in order to get started.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  14:13:48  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Blackrose elves, eh? Sounds like drow flower-children.

Listen to the flower people...or else...

Steven
Who's now stuck with early Spinal Tap songs in his head

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  20:11:47  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Until we get a solid basis with which to build upon regarding this new race, I think it would be best if we talk over the ethereal mail service...

I'd considered picking up Bryon Wischstadt's Faeries, but the 'Ravenloft' Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey has plenty of useful material (templates for examples) that we can pillage in order to get started.

That sounds fine. I shall contact you via the Candlekeep Etheral Mail system as soon as I am able... Luckily, I do possess Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey, though I have no access to Bryon Wischstadt's Faeries...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  03:59:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...are you a Ravenloft fan then as well Shadowlord...?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  04:13:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shadowlord, I'm not sure what you originally got this idea from, but look at the custom Elvish NPCs when you've got a CEP-enabled NWN module open in the toolset...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  04:27:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah...that's a great idea Arivia, and also a great resource to draw some ideas from...

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  04:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I'm not sure you get it, Sage...there's a pair of Blackrose Elf NPCs...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  04:49:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I do 'get' what you mean, and that's exactly it... NPCs are an interesting way to see newly created races in action. I know it's a CRPG, but it could generate some intriguing possibilities...

Go to Top of Page

Graxx Shadowstone
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  00:10:54  Show Profile  Visit Graxx Shadowstone's Homepage Send Graxx Shadowstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Arivia, I was aware of the NPC race long before the CEP. It was a downloadable hak file at www.nwvault.com, and it was not an "original" CEP race. It's true creator was Robert Burson, look it up at NWVault sometime...

However, I intend to have a player race of a different name, and with a much different background. It will come to seem nothing like the NWN NPC race...

Indeed, Sage. Big fan of Ravenloft here... (Though I try not to say as much when Alaundo is lurking around every corner... ) A setting seems just a bit more realistic when there aren't magic items everywhere, or is it just me....

The "Sith" template would indeed work quite nicely, as you reccommended... I already had a template in mind, but yours seems to fit the description better. I'm thinking that this race of elves was banished from the ancestral home of Faerie, because of their evil, and that has left them bitter and sullen... I'll go into further detail via etheral mail...

Just letting you know, this is my moderator name under the Candlekeep Inn, I posted this before I realized that my "Graxx Shadowstone" account was still active...
*Sigh* My identity is revealed...

Edited by - Graxx Shadowstone on 07 Apr 2004 00:13:10
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  05:05:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...I had a lingering feeling about Graxx, it's nice to know that I was right...

I've already received your first email Shadowlord, and, I've sent some suggestions back of my own, in reply. Be sure to let me know what you think...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  01:48:15  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really? You had a feeling about Graxx, did you? Ah, I thought I was being secretive... *Sigh*

You sent another e-mail after the first? If so, I did not recieve it. Or mayhaps you are referring to the first one you sent me...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  01:55:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I'd sent a second one...Confound it...

That's the last time I use my Hotmail account...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  02:11:56  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, in that case I reccommend you send it again. I once had hotmail... Too unreliable for me. Thats why I switched to Comcast...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  02:27:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that could be one possibility, but I think it has less to do with the unreliability of Hotmail, and more to do with the recent updates that I made to my (homebrew) OS, that I having been creating these last several months.

There's been a series of conflicts in the past between my own OS, and the heavily Microsoft-influenced Hotmail system....

I think I'll stick to my dragonlance.zzn account.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  02:33:24  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right then. I await your reply...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Alrunes Sinethal
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  03:47:29  Show Profile  Visit Alrunes Sinethal's Homepage Send Alrunes Sinethal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know Faerie isn't all good. There are the seelie and unseelie courts. But then again, there is Faerie, and there is FR Faerie. Isn't the FR Faerie almost destroyed due to incessant wars, hence most if not all of the elves left and spread to FR (extrapolate the Multiverse).

.........reborned from the ashes
belovƩd of the dead.............
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  04:45:28  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, and the race we're creating was exiled from Faerie before most of the elves traveled to Faerūn.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  04:59:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's been unresolved and incessant conflict between the Seelie and Unseelie courts for many millenia. Since the earliest nascent period of the multiverse, the forces of High and Low Fey have battled.

Titania, Queen of All Faerie (even the Low) tried unsuccessfully to bridge the gap between the Seelie and Unseelie courts, but many within here own pantheon (most notably Oberon, the Lord of Beasts) worked behind the scenes to ensure that such a union never came to pass.

One area of still growing conflict between the two sides, is that of the once mortal ranger, known as Fionnghuala. Fionnghuala assisted the sylvan races in their last great battle against the incursions of the Queen of Air and Darkness, and her Unseelie Court. In gratitude for her selfless service in protecting a mortally wounded Oberon Fionn was raised from the dead after the battle and brought to the Seelie Court by the Queen Titania. Once there, she became a demigoddess swore to serve the Seelie, and her Queen as the deity of eternal communication and sorority.

However, the Unseelie, who had suffered great losses during the last great conflict are believed to have corrupted a sliver of Fionn gentle spirit - the consequences of which, have yet to reveal themselves...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  05:04:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowlord, here's some stats for the new race that I've been tinkering with. Remember that nothing is set yet, and these are just something that we can build upon later -

+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution, -2 Strength

I've also been thinking about some of the abilities for this race, and came up with this -

All [insert race name here] are proficient with the shortbow and the short sword. Like all elves, [insert race name here] revere swordplay and most pick up archery at some point in their lives.

Let's hear what you think

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  16:00:56  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting... I would think that since they are quite an exotic subrace, they might have an exotic weapon proficiency... Whats your opinion?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  23:22:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, and it's also something that I started working on, after I posted that last little snippet.

I should have something soon...

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  18:35:31  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Shadowlord,

What was your source for this? I would just like to take a look out of curiosity.

Best regards,

quote:

I've heard rumors of certain elves called "Blackrose Elves" that were the inhabitants of another elven world such as Faerie. However, I have not managed to find any official information on them. All I have so far is "The origins of the Blackrose Elves are mostly unknown. They were first sighted some 1,000 years ago - only later to disappear and were believed to be extinct, though there have been recent reports of activity and sightings. However, most who meet them never live to tell anyone. They are evil and have sadistic traits that almost rival those of the Drow." Even if they actually don't exist in Realmslore, it might be fun to make them into a new player race...

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000