Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Tales from the Yawning Portal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  07:13:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does it have the realms logo on it. If so then its a realms book and the stuff in it should be set in the realms or connected to the realms in some way.

If it doesnt then its not and its just some suggestions of dungeons and where to put them.

Although if it was up to me anything 4e onwards wouldnt have a realms logo on it

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  07:37:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Does it have the realms logo on it. If so then its a realms book and the stuff in it should be set in the realms or connected to the realms in some way.
That's not really applicable, though, since the FR logo has largely been missing on Wizards RPG products since 4e D&D.

Granted, the few Realms novels that have been released, recently, only have the "FORGOTTEN REALMS" tag in separated branding elsewhere on the product, but I've yet to see that utilised on any of these 5e gamebooks published thus far.

It seems likely that Wizards will just continue with their current trend of including Realms material in these kinds of products, whilst also attempting to cater for other non-Realms consumers as well, by featuring generic and/or non-Realms-specific material.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  08:27:34  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those interested in the product itself, it looks like the book will give the Yawning Portal a little character too. The first three pages of the book have been uploaded as a preview. Not anything hugely substantial or anything, but for those who like to keep up with developments... LINK

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  09:00:42  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shows up the last time i bought a realms product.

Im glad the new ones dont have the realms logo, they arent really set in the realms

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  10:02:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

They don't have to be in the Realms. From my understanding, these are smaller adventures (modules) that can be conveniently placed anywhere. Anywhere in the Realms. Anywhere in the NOT-Realms.

And I prefer it that way.

Then what they should have done was create a generic D&D book of adventures which contains explanations of why they would be found in other settings instead of trying to establish some kind of silly and over reaching lore that connects them with the Realms.

Trying to establish over-reaching lore that connects other settings to the Realms? You mean, the lore that has existed since at least 2E?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  16:49:07  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Shows up the last time i bought a realms product.

Im glad the new ones dont have the realms logo, they arent really set in the realms

Problem here is it has The Yawning Portal in the title as well as using Durnan so it is a Realms product. That would be like coming out with a product about Evermeet and because it doesn't contain a FR logo it isn't a Realms product.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  16:55:26  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

They don't have to be in the Realms. From my understanding, these are smaller adventures (modules) that can be conveniently placed anywhere. Anywhere in the Realms. Anywhere in the NOT-Realms.

And I prefer it that way.

Then what they should have done was create a generic D&D book of adventures which contains explanations of why they would be found in other settings instead of trying to establish some kind of silly and over reaching lore that connects them with the Realms.

Trying to establish over-reaching lore that connects other settings to the Realms? You mean, the lore that has existed since at least 2E?

Oh you mean like the sparse info that would pop up very rarely? You have the likes of Castle Spulzeer and for Duty and Glory but we all aware of the connection with Ravenloft. Show me all these products that contain such common info about the other settings they would be talked about in the Yawning Portal. I know in the old grey box it had a small mention about Khelben having a run in with Bigby but that's about it. If going from one setting to the next was so easily done with teleporting or portals then we would have loads of crossover during the years.

I'm afraid we haven't so after all these years it's suddenly commonplace is reaching.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  17:10:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who said it was commonplace? Just because a well-known adventurer, more than a century old, parked directly over the world's most well-known dungeon, in one of the biggest cities in the world, knows a few tales, it doesn't mean that back and forth travel is commonplace.

Also, nothing says that all the tales were first-hand accounts or that he was hearing three new ones every night. He's in a place where people tell tales, surrounded by people who would tell tales.

Hells, for all we know, Durnan himself has traveled to Oerth and back, and he's relaying what he heard there.

All that we know is that there are tales told by Durnan. That's it. Nothing more.

You've been attacking this book, based on nothing more than assumptions, for literally two months now -- since January 6th. How about waiting until it's out, and speaking on what it actually is, instead of attacking something that isn't what you're making it out to be?

If the book comes out and says all these places are in the Realms and that Uber offers discounts to travel between them, then there is reason to complain. If it has people bopping back and forth between the different settings with barely more than an "Ibbity bibbity bobbity boo," then there is reason to complain. Until the book is out, though, and we know exactly what's in it, we can't complain about. That's like complaining about next month's weather -- yeah, you may think you know what's coming, but it's not certain until it's here.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Mar 2017 18:42:58
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  19:41:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But you wont be surprised if its cold and raining in winter and hot in summer (geographical variances apply of course)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  21:02:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But you wont be surprised if its cold and raining in winter and hot in summer (geographical variances apply of course)

But you can't complain, today, about the rainfall on August 12th, 2017, at 3PM, because you don't know that it's going to rain that day, or when it will rain if it does, or how heavy the rainfall will be if it does rain. You don't know, today, because August 12th, 2017, isn't here yet.

That's my point. If a product isn't even in print yet, its specific content cannot be judged.

Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  21:07:27  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am happy that they are continuing the trend of revealing that every world is connected to the Realms in some way, shape, or form... There is really zero downside to this, it just creates more possibilities... and overtly confirms the assumptions that many of us have been operating under for decades... That ultimately all Portals lead to the Realms.

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Edited by - Cyrinishad on 08 Mar 2017 21:10:35
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  06:52:36  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who said it was commonplace? Just because a well-known adventurer, more than a century old, parked directly over the world's most well-known dungeon, in one of the biggest cities in the world, knows a few tales, it doesn't mean that back and forth travel is commonplace.

Also, nothing says that all the tales were first-hand accounts or that he was hearing three new ones every night. He's in a place where people tell tales, surrounded by people who would tell tales.

Hells, for all we know, Durnan himself has traveled to Oerth and back, and he's relaying what he heard there.

All that we know is that there are tales told by Durnan. That's it. Nothing more.

You've been attacking this book, based on nothing more than assumptions, for literally two months now -- since January 6th. How about waiting until it's out, and speaking on what it actually is, instead of attacking something that isn't what you're making it out to be?

If the book comes out and says all these places are in the Realms and that Uber offers discounts to travel between them, then there is reason to complain. If it has people bopping back and forth between the different settings with barely more than an "Ibbity bibbity bobbity boo," then there is reason to complain. Until the book is out, though, and we know exactly what's in it, we can't complain about. That's like complaining about next month's weather -- yeah, you may think you know what's coming, but it's not certain until it's here.

Explain to me how they traveled to other settings then. How exacty did Durnan travel to Oerth? Also, when something becomes pub talk then it's common place. I could understand if this information was found in ancient texts that were uncovered but that's not the case. The Yawning Portal has never been a crossroads stop over for extra dimensional travel. If you read the 3rd editon product Expedition to Undermountain it gives you a perfect description of the talk that floats around the Inn, it's all about Undermountain. The Yawning Portal was used as a sales pitch for this product followed some half arsed, far reaching explanation to tie it all to the Realms.

I don't always need the full product in my hand to what it's going to be like, I have a talent for knowing these things with only small bits of information, that's why I'm also very good at my job. I can see right through Wizards on this so you aren't going to change my mind.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  06:54:04  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

I am happy that they are continuing the trend of revealing that every world is connected to the Realms in some way, shape, or form... There is really zero downside to this, it just creates more possibilities... and overtly confirms the assumptions that many of us have been operating under for decades... That ultimately all Portals lead to the Realms.

I don't because it's a cheap sales pitch and it's lazy design. It also doesn't mesh with all the years of lore we've gotten in the past.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  07:29:45  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even the earliest FR books talked about visitors from other planes being in Waterdeep. There was a whole book about Realmspace and travelling between crystal spheres written over 20 years ago. The Wizards Three implied links for years.

You've made up your mind though, don't see anyone convincing you. Certainly no one's going to force you to buy the product! If it doesn't suit whatever you want to do with your life, you certainly shouldn't drop any of your hardearned cash on it.

It's just a bunch of old adventures with a dash of Realmslore as an intro to spice things up, I don't really get the fuss tbh. I like the 5e system and I'm playing in the 1490s Realms, but I'm not even sure I'll pick this up myself, other than to give Tomb of Horrors a whirl sometime (though not in my FR game).

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  09:45:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Explain to me how they traveled to other settings then. How exacty did Durnan travel to Oerth? Also, when something becomes pub talk then it's common place. I could understand if this information was found in ancient texts that were uncovered but that's not the case. The Yawning Portal has never been a crossroads stop over for extra dimensional travel. If you read the 3rd editon product Expedition to Undermountain it gives you a perfect description of the talk that floats around the Inn, it's all about Undermountain. The Yawning Portal was used as a sales pitch for this product followed some half arsed, far reaching explanation to tie it all to the Realms.

I don't always need the full product in my hand to what it's going to be like, I have a talent for knowing these things with only small bits of information, that's why I'm also very good at my job. I can see right through Wizards on this so you aren't going to change my mind.

I wish I had a job where facts could be utterly ignored and making a wild guess based on nothing at all was considered doing good.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  10:00:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go into software development. Its a lot like that

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  14:31:08  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't because it's a cheap sales pitch and it's lazy design. It also doesn't mesh with all the years of lore we've gotten in the past.

It actually does mesh with all the years of lore we've gotten in the past... You are simply mistaken, sir... Furthermore, I hope their so-called "cheap sales pitches" and "lazy designs" continue to bring people back to the Realms... And please stop being so negative and derisive in everything you post, it must be exhausting to maintain so much discontent.

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  14:34:26  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn Cyricist talking sense. What in the Nine Hell's is going on around here...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 09 Mar 2017 14:35:02
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  15:57:14  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Even the earliest FR books talked about visitors from other planes being in Waterdeep. There was a whole book about Realmspace and travelling between crystal spheres written over 20 years ago. The Wizards Three implied links for years.

You've made up your mind though, don't see anyone convincing you. Certainly no one's going to force you to buy the product! If it doesn't suit whatever you want to do with your life, you certainly shouldn't drop any of your hardearned cash on it.

It's just a bunch of old adventures with a dash of Realmslore as an intro to spice things up, I don't really get the fuss tbh. I like the 5e system and I'm playing in the 1490s Realms, but I'm not even sure I'll pick this up myself, other than to give Tomb of Horrors a whirl sometime (though not in my FR game).

Planar travel is common but planar travel isn't what is being discussed. Traveling to the various planes doesn't mean you could then just jump to Oerth. The Realms has always mentioned other worlds but nothing specific. Spelljammer is a whole different thing entirely. Nothing about Spelljamming has been mentioned around this book and I assure you it won't be. Also, wouldn't most travelers using Spelljamming be hanging out in Skullport and not the Yawning Portal?

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  16:03:36  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

It actually does mesh with all the years of lore we've gotten in the past... You are simply mistaken, sir... Furthermore, I hope their so-called "cheap sales pitches" and "lazy designs" continue to bring people back to the Realms... And please stop being so negative and derisive in everything you post, it must be exhausting to maintain so much discontent.

I own all the old FR stuff so no it doesn't really mesh, I'm afraid you are the one who is mistaken. Don't tell me what I can and cannot talk about because people like you are what tire me out. Giving my opinion on a forum doesn't tire me out at all. I haven't broken any of the CoC here. Where is your proof all the Realms fans are being brought in? If you playing 5th edition D&D and using the AP's then you are playing in the Realms by default. Not sure where get the idea that 5th edition is bringing in loads of FR fans.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  16:05:01  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Go into software development. Its a lot like that

Been there done that. I find consulting to be a lot better as well as the pay.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  17:31:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I own all the old FR stuff so no it doesn't really mesh

Considering that we do have known travel to and from other settings to the Realms (including at least one from Nehwon!), it does mesh that people from elsewhere could wind up in the Realms, or that someone from the Realms could have traveled to another campaign world.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  17:46:13  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What better place to swap tales of dangerous(possibly exaggerated) dungeons from many lands and worlds than a typical D&D Tavern. Sure it being the Yawning Portal should be about Undermountain, unfortunately it isn't. Kind of looking forward to this now.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  21:47:48  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I own all the old FR stuff so no it doesn't really mesh, I'm afraid you are the one who is mistaken. Don't tell me what I can and cannot talk about because people like you are what tire me out. Giving my opinion on a forum doesn't tire me out at all. I haven't broken any of the CoC here. Where is your proof all the Realms fans are being brought in? If you playing 5th edition D&D and using the AP's then you are playing in the Realms by default. Not sure where get the idea that 5th edition is bringing in loads of FR fans.

I wouldn't presume to tell you or anyone else what they can or cannot talk about. I merely asked you to try and share something positive, instead of being continually negative and derisive... I even said "please". But, if you find "people like me" tiresome, I'll see if I can find you a pillow.

My evidence that Realms fans are being brought in is entirely anecdotal... As in the people that I know who had moved away from the game have come back, and the next generation of kids in my family have started playing. So, that's a 1000% increase in the number of Realms fans in my local gaming scene. Seems like a resounding success to me... And yes, the simple fact that the Realms is the default setting for D&D means we're making every new fan of D&D into a fan of the Realms... and that's a good thing.

Edited by - Cyrinishad on 09 Mar 2017 21:53:57
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2017 :  06:50:30  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

What better place to swap tales of dangerous(possibly exaggerated) dungeons from many lands and worlds than a typical D&D Tavern. Sure it being the Yawning Portal should be about Undermountain, unfortunately it isn't. Kind of looking forward to this now.

Could have been the perfect opportunity to reveal a bit of Planescape, Sigil more importantly seeing as it's the City of Doors. They could have even introduced a bit of Spelljammer.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2017 :  10:04:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And since the book isn't even out yet, we don't know that it doesn't do that.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2017 :  05:03:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw the book at my local Barnes & Noble today, but I did not buy it there... I wanted to, but I got irritated at one of their policies: they won't price match with their own website.

In store, the book is $50. On the Barnes & Noble website, just a bit under $31 -- almost 40% cheaper, and with free shipping!

On top of that, I had a 20% off coupon.

So I'm going to have to wait a few days more to get it, but when I do, it will have only been $26.

Yeah, I want to support my brick and mortar store, but when the same company will sell me the same thing for a lot less, that's really hard to argue against.

CallMeGene works in retail, and he said stores not matching their own online pricing is not uncommon.

And yes, I realize that the physical stores have overhead that the website doesn't... But a 40% difference? No, I don't buy that the in-store overhead is really that high.

The cashier told me, "it costs more here because it had to be sent here." So apparently, shipping to a store a few miles from my house is really, really expensive, while shipping directly to my house is utterly free. Maybe there are a lot of toll roads I've somehow never found betwixt here and there...

If they'd even offered to meet somewhere in the middle, I'd likely have the book in hand right now. $35 or even $40, I'd've likely bought it.

Okay, rant over.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Apr 2017 05:04:14
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2017 :  06:38:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This SO weird... ME TOO!
I only go to B&N about once a year, and the kid working there showed me the Yawning Portal, which I looked through. How coincidental is THAT?!

To make a short story long (), I looked through it, and he said his DM planned to run it. Then he told me he only started playing D&D recently - he had no idea the Drizzt novels were connected to the game (at this point my 'fanboi alert' alarms were starting to tingle). He asked if I read them, and I said yes, that I had read most of the Forgotten realms Novels, although there were still quite a few I missed. He asked me which was my favorite, and I did a , "Oh boy... there are so many". "I really enjoyed the Cormyr series, and the saurials books were pretty good" (I was still sifting through my memories for something I could call a 'favorite', and hadn't even mentally gotten to Elaine's books yet, or a plethora of others...) and at this point before I could continue he looked confused. My son noted 'that' look in my eye...

He asked, "R.A.Salvatore wrote about other characters than Drizzt?" I said, "Yes, but that's not what I'm talking about - I'm talking about other Forgotten Realms authors..." more looks of confusion. He was like, "There are OTHER authors?" {heavy sigh} I walked over to the area where they keep the IP-related novels (they rearranged the place, but its always in the same isle as the manga in that store, so I just look for the aisle where all the blue-haired girls are sitting on the floor reading... that's NOT a joke...)

And of course I found just ONE shelf of D&D/FR books, almost entirely RAS. there were two different ones by Erin Evans. no wonder he had no clue. So I sat this nice young fellow down at some nearby couches and explained to him who Ed Greenwood is, what The realms truly are, how ginormous a setting it is, and even slipped in the fact that RAS killed Chewbacca (he didn't even know RAS wrote non-FR novels). Now he's probably better informed than he wanted to be, but he looked extremely happy because I think he thought he met a celebrity or some such (after I told him I actually knew most of the authors from that aisle... and others). I also gave him my DeviantART page (it never hurts to gain more followers, after all).

And it all started with me just wanting to buy the 5e DMG (which I did - I can 'just wing it' for my boys, but if I'm going to be writing for the DMs guild I had better have solid rules behind me), and being offered the Yawning Portal instead. The one thing I avoided was casting ANY disparaging remarks about the TftYP, since he looked thrilled to be playing it soon - I neither had the heart to break it to him that those dungeons weren't really part of FR (although i suppose they ARE, now), nor did I want to do anything to remove that ear-to-ear grin he had on his face as I left the place. He's gonna have some stories to tell at his gaming table this weekend - he met the guy who knows a guy who...

If we would all take the time once in awhile to find these future tabletop gamers (they're still out there, to my wonderful surprise), and nurture their enthusiasm, I think we could actually turn this whole thing around.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Apr 2017 06:42:04
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2017 :  12:13:09  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got my copy of this a few days ago and have been thumbing through it for game ideas. I'm already considering running a few of the higher level adventures as part of my current campaign once my Players hit those levels.
Gotta admit, though, I'm sorely tempted to run the Tomb of Horrors conversion as a one off. I ran the playtest version last year, and my players almost made it to the end. ... almost. I want to see how the final version compares at the table.
I also really like the map for ToH they did. The color makes it much easier to reference than the original I used before. Not sure if that's recycled from an older product or if it's genuinely new, but it is appreciated.

Other than that,I'm pleased with the product. I read the description before buying and didn't read it as anything more than a 5e conversion of several classic adventures in one bound volume. I'd say I got my money's worth.
The litte nuggets of info about the Portal itself were fun, and with Undermountain being Undermountain, I've always wondered why they didn't pull more on the travelers from other worlds shtick before. It seemed a very natural conclusion to me.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2017 :  00:43:26  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I saw the book at my local Barnes & Noble today, but I did not buy it there... I wanted to, but I got irritated at one of their policies: they won't price match with their own website.

In store, the book is $50. On the Barnes & Noble website, just a bit under $31 -- almost 40% cheaper, and with free shipping!

On top of that, I had a 20% off coupon.

So I'm going to have to wait a few days more to get it, but when I do, it will have only been $26.

Yeah, I want to support my brick and mortar store, but when the same company will sell me the same thing for a lot less, that's really hard to argue against.

CallMeGene works in retail, and he said stores not matching their own online pricing is not uncommon.

And yes, I realize that the physical stores have overhead that the website doesn't... But a 40% difference? No, I don't buy that the in-store overhead is really that high.

The cashier told me, "it costs more here because it had to be sent here." So apparently, shipping to a store a few miles from my house is really, really expensive, while shipping directly to my house is utterly free. Maybe there are a lot of toll roads I've somehow never found betwixt here and there...

If they'd even offered to meet somewhere in the middle, I'd likely have the book in hand right now. $35 or even $40, I'd've likely bought it.

Okay, rant over.

That sucks. 50 USD? I got mine on Amazon for 25! Add 7-8 dollars for shipping to Turkey still really cheaper than that store price.

Edited by - farinal on 09 Apr 2017 00:44:25
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000