Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Moonsea Expert Wanted! (Paid Job)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gnarl123
Acolyte

France
8 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2017 :  22:43:34  Show Profile Send gnarl123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I’m not sure this is appropriate for the Candlekeep forums but since its Forgotten Realms related, I assumed I could. Please delete this post if I thought wrong.
Anyways, I’m looking for freelancers to write a 32-page adventure and a 5,000-word description of the Moonsea area. If anyone’s interested, just follow the link below. I hope to read your stuff soon!

https://www.goblinstone.com/Blog/NEWS_Hiring_01042017

Want free D&D stuff? www.goblinstone.com

Edited by - gnarl123 on 06 Jan 2017 01:01:16

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2017 :  03:41:15  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds reasonable (although not my area), but since Toril only has one moon the thread title makes it sound a little like you're a crazy person! Change that and you'll probably get more interest.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

gnarl123
Acolyte

France
8 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2017 :  01:01:54  Show Profile Send gnarl123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kanzen, I hadn't realized the title had been truncated...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2017 :  01:56:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw this on the other CK (FB) page. The map is easy, along with the write-up. I just haven't had a really good 'Moonsea' adventure idea hit me... yet.

quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

but since Toril only has one moon... <snip>
As far as we know.

I still think there is or was a second 'dark moon' hidden somewhere (or it may have been blown apart, and those are 'the tears of Selune', along with the meteors that come raining down on Toril occasionally).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

gnarl123
Acolyte

France
8 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2017 :  02:15:38  Show Profile Send gnarl123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
I saw this on the other CK (FB) page. The map is easy, along with the write-up. I just haven't had a really good 'Moonsea' adventure idea hit me... yet.

Oh, I didn't realize my post was that confusing. The Moonsea write-up and the adventure are two separate projects! You can write the adventure anywhere you want. The Moonsea write-up will be the introduction of a "Player's Guide to the Moonsea".

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2017 :  07:20:53  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What edition and level range of the characters?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2017 :  09:54:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gnarl123

quote:

Oh, I didn't realize my post was that confusing. The Moonsea write-up and the adventure are two separate projects! You can write the adventure anywhere you want. The Moonsea write-up will be the introduction of a "Player's Guide to the Moonsea".

You are aware that another group - Baldman Games http://baldmangames.com/dd-adventurers-league/ - have been working on the Moonsea for all of 2016 and produced a range of Adventurer's League adventures etc. Are you looking to do something that complements their work, something totally different, and/or do you want that work to be taken into account in this product?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2017 :  16:20:03  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly, I'm not a big fan of the content that the Adventurers League has been producing for the Moonsea region. I'd welcome a different take on the subject.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2017 :  03:36:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I did realize they were both separate projects, but I thought both had to be Moonsea-related.

And I do have the core kernel of an idea, based upon past lore (which is why I think the backdrop project could be a great tie-in to the adventure, if the adventure were Moonsea-based).

However...
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

You are aware that another group - Baldman Games http://baldmangames.com/dd-adventurers-league/ - have been working on the Moonsea for all of 2016 and produced a range of Adventurer's League adventures etc. Are you looking to do something that complements their work, something totally different, and/or do you want that work to be taken into account in this product?

After seeing this, I would be afraid to take the moonsea in a different direction than someone else (the fanbase is fragmented enough). I would want to know what Baldman games was doing and has already produced before i moved forward with my own lore on the region (I'm just funny that way).

And I can't help wondering why - with The Forgotten Realms being so insanely huge (with large swaths having never been detailed), why two different companies would choose the same small region to focus on. Granted, it IS an interesting region, but so is every place else, if given the same amount of attention. With a little extra work, you can get much the same sort of flavor in the Wizard's Reach area ('citystates' all along the Aglarond coast), and with the Old empires making up the southern portion, you could throw in some exotic flavor you could never have in the Moonsea North (trade 'bitter cold winters' for 'sweltering hot summers', and its all golden). In fact, I'm surprised no-one has focused on that region before - you have Thay right there, Mulhorand, independent citystates, political turmoil (especially in Unther), Aglarond directly north, the Arkanamere (and the awesomely grotesque 'Blade Kingdoms') on the western edge, the beginnings of the Taan (Hordlands) on the eastern edge - so many glorious places to adventure, and no-one has really gone there in-depth before (there was one 4e era article).

Ya know, if I didn't already have my own 'pet areas' staked out, I might have just talked myself into focusing there for some stuff of my own. Its is an almost completely untapped resource (Tchazzar!)

You could even do a play-on-words with the competing Moonsea - Call it 'Adventures on the Sun Sea', or some such (and include lore that would explain that the Wizard's Reach started being known as this post-Spellplague).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

EltonRobb
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2017 :  17:53:09  Show Profile Send EltonRobb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ya know, if I didn't already have my own 'pet areas' staked out, I might have just talked myself into focusing there for some stuff of my own. Its is an almost completely untapped resource (Tchazzar!)

I love the Old Empires! If I wasn't so keen on something else, I'd totally delve into the Old Empires for fun and profit. The only things stopping me are:
1. The "WATCH ME, SEMPAI!" feeling that the DM's guild gives.
2. Something else.

The Moonsea is interesting, but so are the Old Empires.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2017 :  22:16:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it wouldn't be the Old Empires, per se, but rather, the Wizard's Reach itself, with all the surrounding coasts. In other words, a place that is geographically very similar to the Moonsea (large body of water surrounding by interesting locales), but with a much more exotic flavor (with both Thay and the Old Empires right there).

That region is at least 4x the size of the Moonsea north, with much more to offer in the way of cultures and creatures (a city of were-alligators!) Even the things IN the water are more interesting - A nation of Sahuagin, as opposed to some near-mythical 'sea drow'. So you loose the Zhents... so what? You get the Red Wizards in full force, plus lots of other goodies, like the city of Sultin, conceivably the 'Waterdeep of the East' (I actually use a map of Greyhawk city for it).

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Jan 2017 22:17:47
Go to Top of Page

gnarl123
Acolyte

France
8 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  00:45:02  Show Profile Send gnarl123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I did realize they were both separate projects, but I thought both had to be Moonsea-related.

And I do have the core kernel of an idea, based upon past lore (which is why I think the backdrop project could be a great tie-in to the adventure, if the adventure were Moonsea-based).

However...
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

After seeing this, I would be afraid to take the moonsea in a different direction than someone else (the fanbase is fragmented enough). I would want to know what Baldman games was doing and has already produced before i moved forward with my own lore on the region (I'm just funny that way).

And I can't help wondering why - with The Forgotten Realms being so insanely huge (with large swaths having never been detailed), why two different companies would choose the same small region to focus on. Granted, it IS an interesting region, but so is every place else, if given the same amount of attention. With a little extra work, you can get much the same sort of flavor in the Wizard's Reach area ('citystates' all along the Aglarond coast), and with the Old empires making up the southern portion, you could throw in some exotic flavor you could never have in the Moonsea North (trade 'bitter cold winters' for 'sweltering hot summers', and its all golden). In fact, I'm surprised no-one has focused on that region before - you have Thay right there, Mulhorand, independent citystates, political turmoil (especially in Unther), Aglarond directly north, the Arkanamere (and the awesomely grotesque 'Blade Kingdoms') on the western edge, the beginnings of the Taan (Hordlands) on the eastern edge - so many glorious places to adventure, and no-one has really gone there in-depth before (there was one 4e era article).

You could even do a play-on-words with the competing Moonsea - Call it 'Adventures on the Sun Sea', or some such (and include lore that would explain that the Wizard's Reach started being known as this post-Spellplague).

Good points. Anyways, the guys from the adventurer's league kind of started releasing detailed descriptions of regions of the Moonsea (Mulmaster is up on the DM's Guild) so I'm not sure it's worth centering my product on that region.

Thanks for your insight though!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  01:09:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NP

Thats what we are here for. No point in doing what someone else is already doing - not when there is a huge, magnificent world just waiting to be explored.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  02:21:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, it wouldn't be the Old Empires, per se, but rather, the Wizard's Reach itself, with all the surrounding coasts. In other words, a place that is geographically very similar to the Moonsea (large body of water surrounding by interesting locales), but with a much more exotic flavor (with both Thay and the Old Empires right there).

That region is at least 4x the size of the Moonsea north, with much more to offer in the way of cultures and creatures (a city of were-alligators!) Even the things IN the water are more interesting - A nation of Sahuagin, as opposed to some near-mythical 'sea drow'. So you loose the Zhents... so what? You get the Red Wizards in full force, plus lots of other goodies, like the city of Sultin, conceivably the 'Waterdeep of the East' (I actually use a map of Greyhawk city for it).

And a second competitor for the Waterdeep of the East in the city of Bezantur (at least for size, religious freedom, and port capacity), but with a much darker feel. Throw in the nearby nature zealots of the Emerald Enclave and the Yuirwood, and you've got a lot to work with there as well.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  04:27:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think a Wizard's Reach campaign would give you more mileage for your money. So many more options in that region.

I could never figure out why the Old Empires and the Shining South (and Taan region) never got much traction - its always about 'the Heartlands'. Isn't there already a bazillion psuedo-medieval fantasy RPG worlds out there? People have the amazing Forgotten Realms in its entirety to use as a springboard, and they mostly stick with the 'plain vanilla' fantasy tropes. I just don't get it.

Doesn't anyone read any Fritz Leiber? Mulhorand and Unther (with some non-RW tweaking) have that 'ancient declining empire' feel those novels have - sinister, crumbling, and decadent. Or Conan? Who couldn't see Thoth Amon/Thulsa Doom hanging around Skuld? And you have all those citystates along the northern coast, just like the moonsea, but with more to choose from, and more going on around it (seriously, except to the south, how much is actually going on in any direction a few hundred miles from the Moonsea itself?)

I just feel that in the Moonsea region you have to think about and write adventures. In the Wizard's Reach, you could probably run some pretty memorable sessions 'off the cuff' with no problem. The place is dripping with flavor(s).

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Jan 2017 04:29:36
Go to Top of Page

goatmeal
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2017 :  04:02:13  Show Profile Send goatmeal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good points. Anyways, the guys from the adventurer's league kind of started releasing detailed descriptions of regions of the Moonsea (Mulmaster is up on the DM's Guild) so I'm not sure it's worth centering my product on that region.

Thanks for your insight though!

I have to say that I was sorely disappointed in all of the Moonsea city-state stuff at DM's Guild (Mulmaster, Hillsfar, and Phlan). I don't know if there was a single paragraph in any of them that didn't have a typo. I kind of wish I had looked at one of them before paying even a dollar on the PWYW options. I had hoped they would have been better, because it looked like they had been officially sanction by WOTC.

I've thought of picking up some of the other Moonsea stuff from DM's Guild, but after that experience I'm a bit wary.

Also, to the OP: if this is something you are still interested in hiring someone for, I might have some interest but not for a few months as I have a one week old son and work fulltime. I do have summers off, though, so it is something I would have time for. And it is the one area of Faerun that I have the most interest in.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000