Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2017, 2018 and 2019)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2017 :  03:04:51  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
This might just be me, but I picture Ao as more of a (powerful) doorman, rather than the "god of the gods" meaning that seems to come along with the title Overgod. He has absolute authority over who can do god-like things in the Realms -- Toril, Selune, and the other bodies in Realmspace. He doesn't need to have power beyond what's necessary to enforce his idea of Balance and defend himself from the ambitions of the gods/primordials/archfiends/whatever.

So gods can have any number of aliases, but anyone who wants to be "active" (with a portfolio and the ability to grant spells) in the Realms does so with Ao's permission.

If you agree with me, then that suggests that yes, whichever dragon/goblinoid gods are active in your campaign will have to be on "speaking terms" with Ao.

In any case, defying Ao (to whatever extent he deems "Thou hast gone Too Far) should spell the end of a god's access to the Realms.

Imo. Ymmv.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2017 :  16:06:16  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
Given that Ao's punishment in the ToT--and the ToT itself--affected both human and non-human gods, then I'd say that yes: if you want Ao in your FR, then all gods ultimately answer to him.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

rweston
Acolyte

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2017 :  18:46:07  Show Profile Send rweston a Private Message
Scribesight be will served to remember that Ao is supposed to represent the DM. Thus AO / the DM is the ultimate arbiter of what happens in YOUR campaign.
:)
Rory

Grey Box sensibilities
3.x rules
Go to Top of Page

blaek
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2017 :  23:15:19  Show Profile Send blaek a Private Message
Well. Damn. The Paladin worships me.

Mostly, I was trying to figure out where Dragons came from, if Io created them, who created Io...

In any case, everything here is good for me to draw from (in addition to 1,000s of wiki entries...) ty
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2017 :  22:13:56  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Hi,

I was reading old "Monster Catalogs" (AC9, Dmr2) and I was wondering if Ed could point us the creatures he created long ago for these books ? The credits don't specify "who wrote what".

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2017 :  18:08:31  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
Hello, Ed Greenwood and Hooded One!

Is a reusable enchanted item using Chromatic Blade spell possible, and if so, what sort of materials, design and other limitations this would require?

Sword (crystal/glassteel/adamantine?) with the edges "lighting up" when activated? Dagger (crystal/glassteel? perhaps with permanent Nystul's Crystal Dirk effect?) projecting sword sized light-blade from the tip?.. Hilt with some focal gem on top, projecting the light-blade?..

quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

I was wondering if Ed could point us the creatures he created long ago for these books ? The credits don't specify "who wrote what".

While waiting, you can find some of Ed's monsters in Dragondex - it has the author (of article) column, so just search in the monster list.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  22:35:41  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message
THO,

Well met to you and Ed after time away! My new job designing for my company and writing for the new TSR's Multiverse keeps me busy. On the topic of the Multiverse blog, would Ed be interested in participating in an interview on an article I'm writing looking back on 30 years of the Old Grey Box and 50 years of the Realms?

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros

Edited by - Joebing on 24 Aug 2017 22:38:05
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2017 :  03:20:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Not that Ed's been answering questions these days, but just for shirts & giggles:

What 'hit' Halruaa?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2017 :  05:15:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Not that Ed's been answering questions these days, but just for shirts & giggles:

What 'hit' Halruaa?

The latest Justin Bieber song.

Bards are now banned from Halruaa, upon penalty of death.

On another note, at GenCon last year, I overheard someone use a fun shortening of that phrase -- he said he was going to do something "for shiggles."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Aug 2017 15:56:24
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  01:50:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:

What 'hit' Halruaa?

Let me second this question. It would appear as though something smashed there, created a ring of mountains and a really deep spot that's turned into a lake. I'd thought the same thing years ago and got distracted. The fact that Halarahh sits right on top of the point of impact also tends to lend some credence there as well.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2017 :  20:44:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! Your Lady Hooded here, breaking a long radio silence because I FINALLY have the time and Net access to do so. Sheesh, as Ed would say.
Ed remains busier than four or five average mortals, with caring for his wife consuming much of his time these days, but I have been ferrying your queries his way as often as I can, and he does read them, and occasionally has time to reply.
Accordingly, here we go:

First, killerasus, re. "Does he maintain a dictionary of Thorass, Loross or any other human language?"
xaeyruudh has the right of it; Ed does indeed make it up and compile it as he goes along, often sending files to TSR (and now WotC) which they sometimes use and sometimes ignore, and yes, when Ed can't find something, he does indeed "spontaneously reinvent" it.

Deepening Moon, the answers to your questions are lost in the mists of time and racial disagreements (i.e. most dwarves of Toril claim they were working all metals - - and alloys, such as adamantine - - before the elves arrived; some elves claim they devised the means of working mithral, or were shown such things by their gods, and no one alive today knows for certain. What Ed can say is: the elves were using mithral early on, definitely before the Crown Wars. His suspicion would be they definitely knew about the blueshine and everbright enchantments pre-Toril (on/in Tintageer).

Bleak, I trust your queries about Elminster's Tower have been ably dealt with by fellow scribes.

Eilserus, Sshansalue "Wonderharp" is NDA, but Ed will inquire about revealing more. SHOULD be okay, after all this time, but who knows?

Sfdragon, Ed tells me "ril" USUALLY means twilight or evening, "faer" means magic or the act of enchanting or the state of being enchanted, so "Faeril" means "enchanted evening," and often refers to when a child with this name was conceived (a "magical evening" for the parents, either personally or literally).

rweston, your "internal names" query has been asked before (here at the Keep, I believe) and answered.­

CorellonsDevout, Ed is checking with Wizards as to. what can be said re. your Dweomerheart query.­

blaek, Ed xaeyruudh again has it right: Ao does indeed have "absolute authority over who can do god-like things in the Realms -- Toril, Selune, and the other bodies in Realmspace. . . . So gods can have any number of aliases, but anyone who wants to be "active" (with a portfolio and the ability to grant spells) in the Realms does so with Ao's permission. . . .­ yes, whichever dragon/goblinoid gods are active in your campaign will have to be on "speaking terms" with Ao. In any case, defying Ao (to whatever extent he deems "Thou hast gone Too Far) should spell the end of a god's access to the Realms."
So, yes, Ao deals with (and can override) ALL deities. Believe not divine propaganda such as "Shar is mightier than all others" (or whatever); in any dispute, Ao wins. After Ao, Mystra is most powerful simply because she is the conduit (the Weave).
Ed saith: So Ao controls your access to the light switch, Mystra is the wiring and power, and the light is your divine radiance.
As for where the dragons came from, blaek, they are older than most of the sentient races on Toril today, and once held sway over most of Faerun (the giants, dragons, and elves all had a time of dominance, before the time of human dominance), and when it comes to who created them: that, too, is lost to time and a matter of dispute. Some dragons believe this, some that, and other beings believe all manner of contradictory things.

Marco Volo, Ed's created a LOT of monsters for all versions of D&D, and a few for other games, too (e.g. the Zethra for TSR's Star Frontiers). Literally hundreds. I'll have to track down my copies of AC9 and DMR2 to tell you specifically which beasties in those books, though.

TBeholder, a reusable enchanted item using the Chromatic Blade spell IS possible, but Ed says all chromatic magics have a tendency to abrade or eventually explosively destroy (like a tire blowing out) solid matter, so special substances must be used, and usually many-layered and exacting enchantments to protect them.

Joebing, Ed would be happy to participate in an interview, but please visit Office of Ed Greenwood (at Onder Librum, online) and fill out the appropriate form so his Office staff can schedule him; Ed receives literally HUNDREDS of requests every month, and could spend his every waking hour Skyping or Twitching or on Twitter or e-mail, doing interviews and answering queries. (Ed comments darkly: He already does!)

And Markustay and sleyvas, YES! You have spotted the big hidden-in-plain-view mystery. Halruaa is indeed a gigantic impact crater. (Wooly: har har har! Or as Ed put it: "Bay-bee baby baby baby baby! And a few more baby baby!'s") Nor, as has been pointed out by Markustay and some others, is it the only one visible on Faerun, if you look. ;} More will be revealed when the time is right, NDAs allow, and The Dark Stars Align. ;}

And that's all from me for the moment, except to add that I'll get to some of the older queries in this thread, and spank Ed into uttering some replies, and for all scribes close to Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Ed will appear (on Saturday ONLY) at this year's Fan Expo at the Metro Convention Centre downtown, doing a signing, a spotlight panel, and the usual DM Master Class and D&D panels, the former with Robin Laws and others, and the latter with Jeremy Crawford of Wizards, Robert Schwalb of Shadow of the Demon Lord fame, and Andrew Hackard. And I'll lurk there, too!

love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 29 Aug 2017 21:33:31
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2017 :  21:27:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And I'd just like to amplify what I said above: Markustay has spotted a lot of the impact craters that pockmark the landscapes of Toril (Halruaa, the Tunlands, Cormyr, etc.) Every assertion he makes in the Landrise thread sleyvas started is correct.
As for the root question of that thread, hopefully I can nudge Ed into an answer, in the fullness of time...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2017 :  23:13:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
A smiley I don't get to use very often...
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

And I'd just like to amplify what I said above: Markustay has spotted a lot of the impact craters that pockmark the landscapes of Toril (Halruaa, the Tunlands, Cormyr, etc.) Every assertion he makes in the Landrise thread sleyvas started is correct.
As for the root question of that thread, hopefully I can nudge Ed into an answer, in the fullness of time...
love to all,
THO

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2017 :  23:35:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

Thank you THO. Also, thank you Markustay. So, I guess we can say that the landrise definitely DID start due to this crash.... now on to the fun of guessing WHAT crashed there. Of course, if its the original Mystryl...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2017 :  03:31:15  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
did Nezram the world walker have access the time travel spell from dragonlance?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2017 :  09:55:16  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:

all chromatic magics have a tendency to abrade or eventually explosively destroy (like a tire blowing out) solid matter, so special substances must be used, and usually many-layered and exacting enchantments to protect them.

So, either imminent risk of the toy going boom due to finicky transmutation or more remote risk of a stronger kaboom due to Crown Meld?
Thanks!

Ooh, another question. We know humans in major trade centres got printing (whether from Lantan or Kara-Tur). But how about the others?
Elves probably prefer something hand-made by superior Elven scribes, but what demihumans who value time more than that do about it?
E.g. what would do a dwarven priest wants to print something to help keep those Wanderers closer to the mother lode of Dwarven culture? Make a font in Dethek runes and rent a press from humans? Have the congregation build one from scratch for the temple needs? Ask some fellow mountainhome dwarves who already have it for some reason?
What would do a drow wizard from Sshamath who wants to publish his "Entertaining Mephitology" to promote school of Summoners or Elementalists and make a little coin in process?
Or, for a more lurid example, "Introduction to the Surface World" series for would-be merchants, including translation to Low Drow of a trophy Eldreth Veluuthra primer, with introduction and annotations from former infiltrators (to better illustrate barbaric habits of the Silly Surface Elves)?
Can some halfling merchant who returned from Waterdeep publish a gossip paper in Luiren?

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2017 :  11:36:25  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
Thanks to THO and Ed. I didn't have any answer here, but is good to see Ed is answering questions here as well.

So, to share, I bothered Ed in Twitter some days ago, and he answered this:

Q. Seeing how isolationists are the halruaans, how high are the chances they befriended some abeirans?

A. There is indeed a chance. The huge changes have shaken up some isolationist views.

EDIT:
Now that I think about it... dear THO, can you ask Ed how he would implement Nentir Vale into the Realms?

I'm curious about this ever since I learned that Nentir Vale was designed originally for the Realms and later used as its own thing, and one of the projects I have is to implement the Vale into my Realms whitout over-writing (too much) the original lands of the setting (most likely, I like to put it somewhere in the Sword Coast, that seems to be the focus of current Realms products, but also because the place is perfect as Nentir Vale is a northern region).

I like to know his opinion about this.

Thanks in advance.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 30 Aug 2017 12:05:28
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2017 :  13:07:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Thanks to THO and Ed. I didn't have any answer here, but is good to see Ed is answering questions here as well.

So, to share, I bothered Ed in Twitter some days ago, and he answered this:

Q. Seeing how isolationists are the halruaans, how high are the chances they befriended some abeirans?

A. There is indeed a chance. The huge changes have shaken up some isolationist views.

EDIT:
Now that I think about it... dear THO, can you ask Ed how he would implement Nentir Vale into the Realms?

I'm curious about this ever since I learned that Nentir Vale was designed originally for the Realms and later used as its own thing, and one of the projects I have is to implement the Vale into my Realms whitout over-writing (too much) the original lands of the setting (most likely, I like to put it somewhere in the Sword Coast, that seems to be the focus of current Realms products, but also because the place is perfect as Nentir Vale is a northern region).

I like to know his opinion about this.

Thanks in advance.

Hey, Zeromaru, I see SO MANY people interested in this Nentir Vale from 4e, but honestly I don't know much about it (and yes, I know its a separate entity from the realms). Is there a quick primer I should read? It sounds like something well developed what with so many people interested in including it.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2017 :  14:06:24  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
It was the "pseudo-setting" they used as the "core" world for 4e. If you have access to the 4e DMG, you will have nearly all the material about the vale. It was never developed as a setting, but somehow evolved into one with all the 4e core products (mostly adventures and the lore of many sourcebooks). So, you will not find a unique source about it, as the info of the setting is spread in all of the 4e core sourcebooks.

Are you familiar with the Piazza forums? They have a sub-forum dedicated to the Nentir Vale. I've compiled a lot of info of this "pseudo-setting" while I was playing with the 4e rules (that's why I want to "port back the Nentir Vale to the Realms", as I developed that setting to much to leave it forgotten), and I posted all there.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 30 Aug 2017 14:09:57
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2017 :  21:01:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. TBeholder, dwarves hammer (if on their own) or roll (with a rolling mill) out metal pages (thin metal plates) and write by "stamping" on them with hand-punches (mallet to tap a metal tool with a shaped point) and awls. If in a human city, and wanting to do paper printing, dwarves own and run printing presses and millwheels and other "machines" that use large grinding wheels, or rent time on gnome or halfling or human presses.
Yes, that halfling returned to Luiren could print his gossip paper. And that drow could very well rent time on a Waterdhavian printing press (or presses in many coastal trading cities, as they tend to be most tolerant of "dangerous" nonhuman races, so long as payment is good and "up front").
[paraphrasing Ed for all of the above]
sfdragon, Ed says no one in the Realms, so far as he knows, has access to time travel magics.
And Zeromaru X, I seem to recall WotC covered "how to fit Nentir Vale" into the Realms. And didn't Markustay do a homebrew map wherein he put the Vale into the Realms, too?
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2017 :  21:44:06  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
Yeah, Markustay did an excellent map, and the region he chose is perfect. But I want to know Ed's opinion about it, if possible (if not, there is no problem, really). Also, as for the WotC solution you mention... I cannot find it. But my google-fu is terrible.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 30 Aug 2017 21:58:58
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2017 :  01:30:14  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message
quote:

Joebing, Ed would be happy to participate in an interview, but please visit Office of Ed Greenwood (at Onder Librum, online) and fill out the appropriate form so his Office staff can schedule him; Ed receives literally HUNDREDS of requests every month, and could spend his every waking hour Skyping or Twitching or on Twitter or e-mail, doing interviews and answering queries. (Ed comments darkly: He already does!)

Thanks THO! Just submitted. Promise I won't keep him long if he does it.

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2017 :  10:04:31  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
ummm THO, for my faeril question.

the answer, would that be right or would it require 2 Rs?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

DenverJack
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2017 :  01:31:18  Show Profile Send DenverJack a Private Message
First post to Ed and The Hooded One - thank you both for the time you put into answering the questions here!

I'm hoping to get some information on 3 or 4 Highknights that would have been active during Azoun IV's reign, and possibly in to Alusair's regency.

The abbreviated stat lines would be great, but I'd really like to get info on their personalities, how they became Highknights, any special skills or talents, the types of assignments they may have specialized in, any notable deeds, and how they fared throughout their careers.

Any Highknights that worked particularly well with Vangerdahast, or that he specifically didn't care for? Or any that were of particular assistance to Alusair and Filfaeril after Azoun's death?

Any info available on a Highknight known as Blackblade? Really any info you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Ed - Thank you for your time, and for the work you do for your fans. Your creation has brought me countless hours of happiness, and you are truly appreciated.

THO - thank you for your efforts in sharing lore, and for the stories of the home-realms that you share - I always enjoy them.

Best wishes to you both.
Jack

Edited by - DenverJack on 02 Sep 2017 01:32:39
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2017 :  02:32:00  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
Hi again dear THO and Ed. I have yet another question.

Reading dragon names, the dragons of the Realms have quite complicated yet unique names. Well, some like Tamarand (by far, one of my favorite dragons in the Realms) have simple names, but most of them have complicated names. Yet, reading the draconic dictionary in sources like Races of Dragons, I cannot find some of the draconic words in those names. Comparing the names of dragons in the Realms, they are unlike the names of dragons in other settings. I can recognize dragons of the Realms because of their names.

Is there a guide to name dragons in the Realms? I mean, giving their complicated yet unique names that have a indiscutible Realmsian vibe in them.

Thanks in advance and greetings as well.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 02 Sep 2017 02:37:13
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2017 :  03:44:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
And because I should ask a question when I comment -
Hows the Ormpur adventure coming along? Is it going to tie-in to any of the Chult stuff WotC is doing?

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Yeah, Markustay did an excellent map, and the region he chose is perfect. But I want to know Ed's opinion about it, if possible (if not, there is no problem, really). Also, as for the WotC solution you mention... I cannot find it. But my google-fu is terrible.

Yes, and I WILl finish that map, dammit! LOL

I've actually shoe-horned it into 4 different places thus-far, but the one I'm doing the high-res map for is really PERFECT. Dead center of everything (WotC has going on), without upsetting the apple-cart, and thats no easy task in THAT part of The Realms (The North, between Waterdeep and Neverwinter). I think you, Zeromaru, (or both of us) are up to the task of 'blending' the lore. I've seen what you've put together for the Nentir Vale setting and all I can say is I haven't seen research that precise and well-annotated since I worked with Eric Boid. I'd really like to see it up on the DM's Guild - It would not only fill-out even more of the 5e Forgotten Realms, but it would also keep the 4e players nicely grounded in The Realms (make them feel as if they weren't just 'left behind' like yesterday's cold French Fries).

It really is a nifty little 'micro-setting', and deserves to be rescued from oblivion.

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Sep 2017 03:47:16
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2017 :  05:29:07  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
quote:

It really is a nifty little 'micro-setting', and deserves to be rescued from oblivion.

And I have yet another question for Ed, though really I don't want to bother him to much (but Candlekeep has been to me like the OGB was for the early fans of the Realms—yeah, quite late for the party), so I apologize as well for bombarding Ed with so many questions.

To the point. I was updating some articles in the Wiki, and I cannot fail to notice that all the known Kings of Justice (Protanther, Tamarand, potentially Lareth as well) really hate Vaasa, going as far as organizing campaigns against the... Vasaans? (which is the demonym of Vaasa, BTW?).

What is wrong with that place that brings the animosity of Lawful Good dragons more than even the elves? (who rightfully earned the enmity of dragons with their Dracorage stuff).

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 02 Sep 2017 05:36:23
Go to Top of Page

Baldorar
Acolyte

Spain
8 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2017 :  12:22:43  Show Profile Send Baldorar a Private Message
Howdy to everyone!

I've been reading these boards for some weeks now and have some questions for Ed. They may have been already answered, but it's kind of hard to look through all the threads till I find it!

I've been playing two campaigns in the Realms in 2nd Edition AD&D and my first question is: to what extent the Volo's Guides have been changed to meet TSRs standards and how much is from the original Ed's home campaign? Are they usable for pre-Time of Troubles campaigns?

The second question is a similar one. I've purchased recently the 1st Edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and I'm planning to buy the FR modules from 1 to 6. As I want to start my home campaign from a "purer Greenwoodian" perception of the Realms... my question is the following: how much in it is properly Ed's and how much is TSR's?. I know, for instance, that Douglas Niles changed a lot of the Moonshaes, but I don't know to what extent. As for the Grey Box and the other FR modules, don't know anything.

Yet another question for Ed, but that you can also can answer, my Lady THO.

I know he likes to run mini-dungeons from time to time. But, I'm curious about how did/does he run mega-dungeons (i.e. Undermountain): what's it using the typical old school pattern, counting feet on corridors and describing room proportions, or was it done in any other, more loose and inmersive way? Did he use to put lots of creatures in rooms like you can see in some of the older modules (G 1-3, the B series of modules foot basic D&D, etc.)?

Did/do you run hex crawls our use a hex map while exploring?

Of course I'm talking about your home campaigns, not about what you have to do for TSR.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe other posters can give me a hand too.

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2017 :  13:22:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Next to nothing changed on the maps with the Time of Troubles. Aside from the water becoming contaminated at Boareskyr Bridge, I can't think of any physical changes, anywhere.

I believe I read that the maps in the OGB are pretty close to Ed's Realms, at least from the Sword Coast to the Dales and Moonsea area. It's when you go beyond those areas that it becomes less Ed and more TSR.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2017 :  14:50:08  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all. TBeholder, dwarves hammer (if on their own) or roll (with a rolling mill) out metal pages (thin metal plates)

Thanks! I should have guessed the metal part given their habits.
Wait..
quote:
Ed says all chromatic magics have a tendency

"all" chromatic magics? There's more to it in Realms than Chromatic Blade and (Gygax's) Chromatic Orb?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000