Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Complete Forgotten Realms Deity List
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2016 :  16:43:14  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the fields of Or I am "The most legendary of these ruins is the Lost Temple of Ptah, rumored to house holy tablets con-taining unimaginable power and wisdom."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2016 :  17:14:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anubis was the guardian of the dead gods, wasn't he? Is there any canon reference to him in the realmspace crystal sphere at all? The mention of Ptah just brought him to mind and wondering what other Egyptian gods might be able to be ported into the Mulan pantheon with the return of the Mulhorandi / Untherites.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2016 :  18:27:20  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is usually said that not all gods boarded avatars on the Beacon of Light (Volo's Guide to all things Magical) to Toril when Ra and Enlil decided to aid the enslaved Mulan people. Anubis, Enki, Nut, Shu and a few other godlings stayed on the Mulan homeworld, not willing or unable to send empowered independent avatars aboard the cubic travel device of Ptah.

Since then Anubis managed to maneuver into the position of Guardian of the Dead Gods, watching over the pertified remains of the gods in the Astral Seas. He might have had an conversation with Ptah about the Fate of the Gods, chose to follow his own agenda and came to the conclusion the Egyptian pantheon needed him to ascend his domains over the whole of the Astral Seas in order to survive until the End of Time.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

apotheot
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2017 :  02:31:05  Show Profile Send apotheot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by AuldDragon

[quote]Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Malatra doesn't matter. Dukagsh is Spelljammer canon, and that makes it FR canon.

Well, there's a population of scro there, but I don't believe there are any other canon populations of scro elsewhere, so without Malatra, Dukagsh probably doesn't have access to Toril/Faerun. There are other deities that don't have access to Toril, like Ptah and Nebelun. :)

Jeff

Some supposition there. First the Oscray are NOT necessarily Scro. Lots of evidence to think they are their own race, or at least a philosophical offshoot (similar to the way the Ondonti are not true orcs). If either is the case Dukagsh would be unlikely as a god. The "shamans" from the just arrived oscray didn't lose their powers like the Lacerials (Saurials) did when they arrived, and we know that the Elemental nobles pretty much block divine intervention in Malatra anyway. So I would guess that Dukagsh has no control in Toril itself (Realmspace may be another matter).

As for how canon Malatra is, it is interesting to note that Polyhedron magazine is where the setting was described and fleshed out with a map, but the map actually appears in the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas, making the setting itself canon. All characters/events/stories though are still up for grabs. Personally, I think that was WotC's way of saying that Polyhedron articles were meant to be canon.

-Apotheot (the Malatra guy)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2017 :  02:45:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EXCEPT it was improperly placed in the FRIA, and sized completely wrong. I placed it correctly - and sized it properly - on some of the K-T maps I was working on, but most of those are gone now.

However, I would agree 100% that all 'Living' settings were considered canon - that was the official ruling back then, and I do not believe it was ever changed (as it was in the case of the FR Adventurer's Guild{?} - that thing they tried in 4e). Sarbreenar is the only one of those that might be in doubt, because of the RW events that surrounding the group supporting/writing it. Thats in this weird, "Lets just pretend it never happened" legal limbo.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 May 2017 02:47:02
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2017 :  04:31:55  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note that the original Spelljammer boxed set on Ptah says that while his faith extends to wildspace in all crystal spheres, it does not extend to the planets in those spheres, where his clerics are as limited as those of any foreign deity (Lorebook of the Void, p.22 sidebar).

Of course, this is among other complicated/contradictory statements in lore, such as both the first and second FRCS boxed sets (before and after Spelljammer's publication) saying any cleric of any god will get full spell access in the Realms, and the Realmspace supplement making all sorts of weird by-faith (sometimes even by-character-subclass-within-faith) rules for spell access for the Faerunian pantheon.

I would, incidentally, include the (not-later-renamed) Beast Cults from Down-to-earth Divinity (Ed's article in Dragon #54), at least the ones whose names aren't from the Melnbonean Mythos:

Besparr (horses, original to Ed)
Camatotz (bats, Central American Mythos)
Hlyyaak (camels, original to Ed)
Repra (serpents, Ed name for Apep)
Sneel (Ed name for Newhon Rat God).

Whether you consider the Melnbonean Mythos ones is iffier, but those are

Fileet (birds)
Haaashastaak (lizards)
Meerclar ("catkind")
Nnuuurrrr'c'c (insect swarms)
Nuru-ah (cattle)
Pyaray (creatures of the deep)
Roofdrak (dogs)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2017 :  15:13:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by see

Note that the original Spelljammer boxed set on Ptah says that while his faith extends to wildspace in all crystal spheres, it does not extend to the planets in those spheres, where his clerics are as limited as those of any foreign deity (Lorebook of the Void, p.22 sidebar).

Of course, this is among other complicated/contradictory statements in lore, such as both the first and second FRCS boxed sets (before and after Spelljammer's publication) saying any cleric of any god will get full spell access in the Realms, and the Realmspace supplement making all sorts of weird by-faith (sometimes even by-character-subclass-within-faith) rules for spell access for the Faerunian pantheon.

I would, incidentally, include the (not-later-renamed) Beast Cults from Down-to-earth Divinity (Ed's article in Dragon #54), at least the ones whose names aren't from the Melnbonean Mythos:

Besparr (horses, original to Ed)
Camatotz (bats, Central American Mythos)
Hlyyaak (camels, original to Ed)
Repra (serpents, Ed name for Apep)
Sneel (Ed name for Newhon Rat God).

Whether you consider the Melnbonean Mythos ones is iffier, but those are

Fileet (birds)
Haaashastaak (lizards)
Meerclar ("catkind")
Nnuuurrrr'c'c (insect swarms)
Nuru-ah (cattle)
Pyaray (creatures of the deep)
Roofdrak (dogs)

Thank you See. I had never actually looked at that article, though I'd heard of it. So, there it is in black and white that he originally wanted Aslan, the elemental deities of Melnibonea, and a lot of the other Melnibonean deities. I really need to churn past the first Elric books and hopefully the later stuff is better.

Anyway, didn't know about these, and I think I'll steal them for Katashaka and Anchorome

Besparr (horses, original to Ed) - Lord of horses, Asperii and Hippocampi. It is said by the Metahel humans that Besparr is born of a pairing of Valigor the Runtborn Giant while in the form of a mare and a great primordial horse. Besparr appears as an eight legged horse of white fur and a silver mane that can ride the winds, but he can also enter the sea in the form of a hippocampi. Primarily worshipped in Anchorome, his worship has spread to Katashaka with the coming of the Metahel. In Anchorome he is worshipped by centaurs, asperii, Poscadari Elves, Metahel humans, avariel elves, and aquatic elves.

Camazotz (bats, Central American Mythos) - hmmmm, the Katashakan jungles should have some bat folk on the surface and in the small cave networks surrounding. I know of bainligor and desmodu. It could be interesting to have a mix of both. The large desmodu maybe living in the area where Nyamma-Numo live. The bainligor on the surface being smaller, and having the ability to fly, so I'd actually probably make them weaker than the original to make up for this (I'd probably call them Katashakan Bainligor to differentiate them as another species). They'd make a great people to fill weird old temples in the jungle that reach into the underdark. Also, having some of them being vampires amongst the bainligor, and these rule the others.

Hlyyaak (camels, original to Ed) - skipping

Repra (serpents, Ed name for Apep) - skipping, enough serpent deities

Sneel, god of rats - well, I've notated that Katashaka is filled with mouse folk (muislings and craniars), rat folk (nezumi), rabbit folk (miraji), and meerkat/weasel folk (Meerkatians), and beguilers. However, I hadn't found many gods in realmslore that fit them. I was going to go with Nula the animal goddess of Maztica, Squerrik the god of wererats, Ishistu the albino rat god of Zakhara, and Mushika of Indian Mythology as a music god. If I include this one, it heavily slides the pantheon towards evil, whereas I actually want most of the "rodent folk" to be good and/or neutral. That being said, I want the rat folk as evil as we think of them. I could just make this another name for one of the rat gods too. Still, it could be interesting to detail three different faces of evil for the rat folk (i.e. Ishistu as a necromantic type god who maybe works with grafts, Squerrik as god of wererats in particular with a focus on trapmaking, and Sneel as a god of thievery, assassins, and deception). Hell, I could even drop Squerrik, since he's geared more towards lyncanthropes, and leave it unclear if Squerrik and Sneel are the same being to outsiders.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

RDS
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2017 :  16:59:24  Show Profile Send RDS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
Sneel, god of rats - well, I've notated that Katashaka is filled with mouse folk (muislings and craniars), rat folk (nezumi), rabbit folk (miraji), and meerkat/weasel folk (Meerkatians), and beguilers. However, I hadn't found many gods in realmslore that fit them. I was going to go with Nula the animal goddess of Maztica, Squerrik the god of wererats, Ishistu the albino rat god of Zakhara, and Mushika of Indian Mythology as a music god. If I include this one, it heavily slides the pantheon towards evil, whereas I actually want most of the "rodent folk" to be good and/or neutral. That being said, I want the rat folk as evil as we think of them. I could just make this another name for one of the rat gods too. Still, it could be interesting to detail three different faces of evil for the rat folk (i.e. Ishistu as a necromantic type god who maybe works with grafts, Squerrik as god of wererats in particular with a focus on trapmaking, and Sneel as a god of thievery, assassins, and deception). Hell, I could even drop Squerrik, since he's geared more towards lyncanthropes, and leave it unclear if Squerrik and Sneel are the same being to outsiders.

You'll have to forgive me eventually for these

For good deities have you considered these:
Mic-kea : Mouse god of Amusement
Min-nea : consort of Mic-kea - goddess of fashion, especially bows
They dwell in the magic domain of Dis-nea.

Other mouse dieties to consider:
Rat-a-tuie : god of the feast
far-vell : god of wandering - especially West.

RDS
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2017 :  18:14:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RDS

quote:

If we're going there, why not include Chuuk Echies, the mouse god of food and games?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2017 :  18:41:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I'd include the Core (which isn't the same as GH) pantheon, thanks to 4e. Some of them are already 'official' (like the Raven Queen, and Zehir), but we may as well include the others (some like Nerull/Myrkul and Silvanus/Obad-Hai may actually just BE the same deities anyway).

Maybe not the right thread, but since I just mentioned it - I theorized that the Obad-Hai of GH is actually the same as Obadai in the Giantish pantheon (Giantcraft) - he was originally just a giant deity/patriarch until he got some traction amongst humans in the GH setting (just my take, nothing more, but they DO have the same name... kinda).

Thus, our Silvanus may be Obad-Hai, who is the same as the Stone-Giant patriarch (who could have lived-on as a demi-power for some time after his murder by Lanaxis, if he had found some human worshipers). After all, if anyone (non-human) would make a great candidate for an early earth (nature) God, it would be a stone giant. Stone Giants are one of the few that likes to work alongside and even help humanity.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 May 2017 18:59:09
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2017 :  01:23:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by RDS

quote:

If we're going there, why not include Chuuk Echies, the mouse god of food and games?

Lol, and here I just literally spent an hour googling mouse gods, mouse deity, mouse norse mythology, etc.... and got nothing. One thing I did learn..... NOONE not even the Hindus knows what the mouse that Ganesha rides represents. The conflicting theories I just read... wow...

Oh, and I created Ilmek of the sacred ewer as a muisling version of Ilmater/Issek of the Jug.... just because he uses field mice in his symbology and I was getting punchy..... So don't be surprised if I steal your joking ideas above. Especially Farvell. I want a mouse god of singing to the moon.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 24 May 2017 01:27:36
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2017 :  05:52:41  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by apotheot

Some supposition there. First the Oscray are NOT necessarily Scro. Lots of evidence to think they are their own race, or at least a philosophical offshoot (similar to the way the Ondonti are not true orcs). If either is the case Dukagsh would be unlikely as a god.

Rettypay learcay Oscray are-ay ustjay Scro ithway ay-ay amenay angechay (ia-vay Igpay Atinlay).

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2017 :  12:54:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AuldDragon

quote:
Originally posted by apotheot

Some supposition there. First the Oscray are NOT necessarily Scro. Lots of evidence to think they are their own race, or at least a philosophical offshoot (similar to the way the Ondonti are not true orcs). If either is the case Dukagsh would be unlikely as a god.

Rettypay learcay Oscray are-ay ustjay Scro ithway ay-ay amenay angechay (ia-vay Igpay Atinlay).

Jeff

Given the more traditional look of orcs to having hog-like nostrils.... any chance their original language was Igpay Atinlay?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2017 :  13:48:29  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obscure god of blacksmiths, Hephaestus. Source; Sojourn, R. Salvatore.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2017 :  14:22:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starshade

Just curious, got a quote? I ask because all the reference I know of to Hephaestus in that novel are that its just a dragon that happens to share the name of a god.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 24 May 2017 14:27:22
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2017 :  15:35:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I promised myself not to get involved in this, but I just can't help it...

Peek-at-you - Mousling Lord of Lightning (storm god)
Stench - the four-armed mousling god of battle (many believe this is an alias of Garagos).

Stench tends not to get along with other members of the Mousling pantheon, and he is even rumoured to hold court with powers of other obscure beast cults, and may even have a human demi-power consort by the name of Leiloo (but its okay, because she has a multi-pass).

Edited by - Markustay on 24 May 2017 15:36:42
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2017 :  16:12:29  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Given the more traditional look of orcs to having hog-like nostrils.... any chance their original language was Igpay Atinlay?

Naw, even Roger Moore wouldn't do that. :)

Jeff

My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2017 :  16:25:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Okay, I promised myself not to get involved in this, but I just can't help it...

Peek-at-you - Mousling Lord of Lightning (storm god)
Stench - the four-armed mousling god of battle (many believe this is an alias of Garagos).

Stench tends not to get along with other members of the Mousling pantheon, and he is even rumoured to hold court with powers of other obscure beast cults, and may even have a human demi-power consort by the name of Leiloo (but its okay, because she has a multi-pass).

Now I got a picture of a Pikachu with an eyepatch and a hammer in my head. I may have to steal that too.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

RDS
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2017 :  16:37:43  Show Profile Send RDS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by RDS

quote:

Lol, and here I just literally spent an hour googling mouse gods, mouse deity, mouse norse mythology, etc.... and got nothing. One thing I did learn..... NOONE not even the Hindus knows what the mouse that Ganesha rides represents. The conflicting theories I just read... wow...

Oh, and I created Ilmek of the sacred ewer as a muisling version of Ilmater/Issek of the Jug.... just because he uses field mice in his symbology and I was getting punchy..... So don't be surprised if I steal your joking ideas above. Especially Farvell. I want a mouse god of singing to the moon.

In all seriousness with Mice and Rats considered Vermin by humanity you'll have to create a you're own Aspects to have a "good" pantheon. Outside of cartoons and scientific laboratories I can't think of anything praiseworthy for mice.

I don't know anything about the Katashaka muisling or it they are at the bottom of the food chain. If so I would think food, safety (as in run/hide rather than fight) and fertility would rank high.

Ilmatar/Issuk was a great catch and not just for the symbology but the likely 'long suffering' of the small folk I'd imagine.

RDS
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2017 :  20:37:25  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Just curious, got a quote? I ask because all the reference I know of to Hephaestus in that novel are that its just a dragon that happens to share the name of a god.

Well, that's the reference.
I don't have to novel in front of me, will look it up, but it said the dragon was named after an obscure smith deity. Taken literally, the book states someone gave the dragon a nickname of an obscure deity, it don't say the god is real, or a hoax. Or if its's something worshipped who's not a god; the "god" could be an old dragon cult for what I know. Or, a god.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2017 :  21:05:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, that's the reference.
I don't have to novel in front of me, will look it up, but it said the dragon was named after an obscure smith deity. Taken literally, the book states someone gave the dragon a nickname of an obscure deity, it don't say the god is real, or a hoax. Or if its's something worshipped who's not a god; the "god" could be an old dragon cult for what I know. Or, a god.

It also doesn't mean its a Realms deity. Someone from another crystal sphere could have mentioned the name, etc....

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2017 :  00:39:43  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It also doesn't mean its a Realms deity. Someone from another crystal sphere could have mentioned the name, etc....

Or a planehopping wizard, or some mention in a divine communication (from Gond perhaps). I believe Kali is mentioned by Mask in the Twilight Giants saga, for example. Toril's deities are far more active in planar politics than those of Greyhawk or Krynn (and not just the external imports like Tyr, Mielikki, and Tyche).

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2017 :  01:29:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Khali is part of the Vedic pantheon, which is mentioned as being in the Malatra (lower jungle) region in the Kara-Tur box (though not in the 'Living Jungle' RPGA campaign material, AFAIK). Several Indian Gods are mentioned, and at least one gets a Realms 'sex swap' (though I can't recall who - its been years since I read through that stuff with a fine-tooth comb).

Planescape, Ravenloft and Spelljammer all account for much transplaner activity (RL perhaps to a lesser degree, considering how hard it is to escape), and then we have the Plane of Shadows (now the Shadowfell) and Faerie (Now the Feywild) which were always there but became much more of the 'transitive planes' they were always meant to be in 4e/5e, not to mention The Forgotten Realms most basic premise is its interconnectivity with every other world (Gates/Portals). And last but not least we have the Imaskari, who were not only Planeswalkers, they kidnapped whole groups of people from all over (and not just the major ones we hear the most about).

I doubt there is a single god - or other powerful entity - that hasn't been heard of at one time or another on Toril.

Edited by - Markustay on 25 May 2017 01:30:45
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2017 :  15:22:41  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We can now also add the Catlord to the list.
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2017 :  16:45:00  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do people here give much credence to the Faiths and Pantheons rule of exclusion on p220?
quote:
Not all deities from other sources exist in the FORGOTTEN REALMS setting. For example, Panzuriel, a deity worshiped by krakens, sahuagin,
and other evil aquatic creatures, has no influence on Toril, and Umberlee grants spells in his name (and most of these creatures actually worship her directly rather than through this alias). Any deity not listed on the Monster Deities table or in Chapter 5 of the FORGOTTEN REALMS Campaign Setting does not exist on Toril.

And if people do give it credence, is it treated as a "post-Time of Troubles only" type deal? It's a weird blanket statement.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2017 :  16:48:31  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's about 3 editions out of date and I think the Sundering really changed things up. There is no complete list of the FR Gods in 5e, not even the SCAG is complete as for example VGTM added the Catlord.
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2017 :  17:12:14  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

It's about 3 editions out of date and I think the Sundering really changed things up. There is no complete list of the FR Gods in 5e, not even the SCAG is complete as for example VGTM added the Catlord.

Well not to mention the SCAG deity list doesn't include Lurue and Siamorphe, but they're mentioned elsewhere in that text. I take the main list as the "most commonly worshiped deities in the Sword Coast", and nothing more - if even that.

And I'd be careful about assuming anything in VGtM is automatically FR canon. I read VGtM as a core book, not a FR book. It's enough of a core book that it needs a sidebar to explain the differences in the Forgotten Realms.

I more meant my question as, were people relatively happy with that in the days of 3e. As for 5e, no one knows what the situation is.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2017 :  17:21:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ignore anything that states which gods do and do not have influence in the realms unless there is a realmsian event that provides a reason why.

People can worship whatever the hell they want. They do not receive a direct answer from a deity so they dont know who is listening.

Deity's lie, their priests lie more.

Plus complexity makes it interesting.

I dont really bother with gods granting spells. Its not necessary for low level spells as far as 2e is concerned and Ed always said that one could never be sure which god was granting spells so i ignore that bit.

Instead i make no distinction between arcane, divine, or nature spells. They are all made available through the weave and it is all to do with tradition and how one casts the spell that determines which spells you can cast.

Each religion has spells specific to them however (i dont have clerics and druids know all spells available to them) and if you are cast out of a religion they remove your spellbooks if they can. Worse still i have a spell that cuts off a touched target from casting spells for a time.

That all simulates the effects that other rules attribute to the gods.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 27 May 2017 17:47:26
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2017 :  05:52:10  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I have always wanted to create was a list of all gods worshiped in the Realms and when they were "active". Many of these would be ??? since it is hard to tell exactly when I god came into being or was slain. Here is a list I used for a home campaign that spanned several years:

-3859 DR
Greater Powers:
Amaunator
Jannath
Jergal
Kozah
Mystryl
Selune
Shar
Targus

Lesser Powers:
Moander
Tyche

1357 DR (Nightal)
Greater Powers:
Bane
Chauntea
Lathander
Myrkul
Mystra
Oghma
Shar
Silvanus
Sune
Talos
Tempus
Tyr

Lesser Powers:
Akadi
Beshaba
Bhaal
Gond
Grumbar
Helm
Ilmater
Istishia
Kossuth
Mask
Mielikki
Selune
Tymora
Umberlee
Waukeen

Demi:
Auril
Azuth
Deneir
Earthmother
Eldath
Gwaeron Windstorm
Hoar
Iyachtu Xvim
Leira
Lliira
Loviatar
Malar
Milil
Sharess
Siamorphe
Talona
Torm
Valkur

Dead:
Moander

1358 DR
Bane slain by Torm
Bhaal slain by Cyric with Mask
Gilgeam slain by Tiamat
Ibrandul slain by Shar
Leira slain by Cyric
Moander slain by Finder Wyvernspur
Myrkul slain by Midnight/Mystra
Mystra slain by Helm
Ramman slain by Hoar
Torm slain by Bane
Waukeen imprisoned by demon prince Graz'zt
Cyric gains Death, Murder, The Dead, Strife, Lies, Intrigue, Deception, Illusion
Iyachtu Xvim gains Hatred and Tyranny
Lliira gains Money, Trade and Wealth

1367 DR
Greater Powers:
Chauntea
Cyric
Lathander
Mystra
Oghma
Shar
Silvanus
Sune
Talos
Tempus
Tyr

Intermediate:
Beshaba
Gond
Helm
Ilmater
Mask
Mielikki
Selune
Tymora
Umberlee

Lesser:
Auril
Azuth
Deneir
Eldath
Lliira
Loviatar
Malar
Mili
Talona
Torm

Quasi:
Akadia
Baelros
Earthmother
Entropy
Garagos
Gargauth
Grumbar
Gwaeron
Hoar
Ishtishia
Iyachtu Xvim
Jergal
Kossuth
Moander
Red Knight
Savras
Sharess
Shaundakul
Shiallia
Siamorphe
Tchazzar
Uthgar
Valkur

Dead:
Bane
Bhaal
Leira
Myrkul
Waukeen

1368 DR
Kelemvor gains Death and The Dead from Cyric

1371 DR
Waukeen is saved by adventurers

1372 DR (Shieldmeet)
Iyachtu Xvim slain by Bane
Bane return in midwinter regaining Strife, Hatred, Tyranny and Fear

Greater Powers:
Akadi
Chauntea
Cyric
Grumbar
Istishia
Kelemvor
Kossuth
Lathander
Mystra
Oghma
Shar
Silvanus
Sune
Talos
Tempus
Tyr

Intermediate:
Bane
Beshaba
Gond
Helm
Ilmater
Mielikki
Selune
Tymora
Umberlee

Lesser:
Auril
Azuth
Deneir
Eldath
Liira
Loviatar
Malar
Mask
Milil
Shaundakul
Talona
Tiamat
Torm
Waukeen

Demi:
Earthmother
Finder Wyvernspur
Garagos
Garagauth
Gwaeron Windstorm
Hoar
Jergal
Lurue
Nobanion
Red Knight
Sharess
Siamorphe
Ulutiu
Uthgar
Valkur
Velsharoon

Dead:
Amaunator
Bhaal
Ibrandul
Moander
Myrkul

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2017 :  07:05:19  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Add this, according to Draconomicon (2e, that is Realms product):

Age of Dragons (-31000 to -24000 DR)
Greater Powers
Asgorath
Astilabor
Garyx
Lendys
Null (in fact, he is also Chronepsis and Falazure as well, as per Cult of the Dragon)
Kereska
Tamara
Tiamat (while she is not mentioned in Draconomicon, Dragons of Faerūn states she was worshiped by the dragons of this time as well)
Xymor (Bahamut's earlier name, as per Cult of the Dragon and Dragons of Faerūn)
Zorquan

Lesser powers
Hlal (Aasterinian's alternative name, as per Cult of the Dragon)

IIRC, the giant pantheon was active around this time as well, but I don't have info about those.

Also

1479 DR
Greater Powers
Amaunator
Asmodeus
Bane
Chauntea
Corellon
Cyric
Ghaunadaur
Gruumsh
Kelemvor
Lolth
Moradin
Oghma
Selūne
Shar
Silvanus
Sune
Tempus
Torm

Lesser powers
Angharradh
Auril
Bahamut
Berronar Truesilver
Beshaba
Garl Glittergold
Gond
Ilmater
Loviatar
Luthic
Mielikki
Sheela Peryroyl
Sseth
Talona
Tiamat
Tymora
Umberlee
Waukeen
Zehir

Primordials
Akadi
Bazim-Gorag
Grumbar
Istishia
Kossuth

Exarchs (demigod servant of certain god)
Abbathor (Bane)
Arvoreen (Sheela)
Baervan Wildwanderer (Garl)
Bahgtru (Gruumsh)
Baravar Cloakshadow (Garl)
Brandobaris (Sheela)
Callarduran (Garl)
Clangeddin Silverbeard (Moradin)
Cyrrollalee (Sheela)
Deep Sashelas (Corellon)
Dugmaren Brightmantle (Moradin)
Erevan Ilesere (Corellon)
Fenmarel Mestarine (Corellon)
Fzoul Chembryl (Bane)
Garagos (Tempus)
Hoar (Bane)
Hruggek (Bane)
Jergal (Kelemvor)
Labelas Enoreth (Corellon)
Lliira (Sune)
Maglubiyet (Bane)
Malar (Silvanus)
Marthammor Duin (Moradin)
Marthammoran
Milil (Oghma)
Obould (Gruumsh)
The Red Knight (Tempus)
Sharess (Sune)
Shargaas (Gruumsh)
Shevarash (Corellon)
Shiallia (Mielikki)
Siamorphe (Amaunator)
Solonor Thelandira (Corellon)
Thard Harr (Moradin)
Uthgar (Tempus)
Valkur (Tempus)
Vaprak (Gruumsh)
Vergadain (Moradin)

Dukes of Hell (yeah, they gained worshipers in Faerūn after Asmodeus apotheosis)
Bel
Dispater
Mammon
Belial
Levistus
Glasya
Baalzebul
Mephistopheles

Dead/MIA Powers
A lot. Some that weren't really dead that I know of:
Azuth: Fused with Asmodeus
Helm: Nobody knows what happened to him, but he wasn't really dead
Mystra: Just regaining strength in the Weave (that wasn't completely destroyed)
Eilistraee and Vhaeraun: Chilling with Mystra in the Weave
Deneir: Fused with the Metatext and the Weave

If given time, I can make a list of gods in the current Realms (1491 DR)

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000