Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 When did the Oghma heresy move to Cormyr?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AggressionOwl
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  02:35:35  Show Profile Send AggressionOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
On the wiki, it says that there is a heresy of Oghma located in Sembia, which has broken away from the orthodoxy, by, among other things, declaring it's own Patriarch. Later, this heretical faction moved from Sembia to Cormyr. When did this happen, and what city are they based in?

Is there any more information on this heresy?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  02:58:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would imagine it had something to do with the whole Shade moving in thing... Not that I've ever understood what possible interest Shade would have had in Sembia.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  15:04:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know in Fire in the Blood they talk about a temple in Suzail which is an non-orthodox temple of Oghma. Farideh and Dahl go there looking for information on Supernal runes. Given that Dahl is a paladin of Oghma, there's probably something in those books.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  10:23:40  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I would imagine it had something to do with the whole Shade moving in thing... Not that I've ever understood what possible interest Shade would have had in Sembia.

IMHO it is not about Shades but about Shar who is major player in Sembia.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  19:00:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

IMHO it is not about Shades but about Shar who is major player in Sembia.

She's a major player in a lot of places. Sembia isn't even home to her most important temple, and isn't even mentioned under her major centers of worship in Faiths & Avatars.

So I'm still left wondering why it was such a big deal that Shade had to cross half a continent to take it over.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  19:45:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Logistics...

They wanted to catch Cormyr in a 'pincer maneuver'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  21:27:36  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a chosen of Oghma in Selgaunt, in Erevis Cale books, he didn't seem particularly heretical.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2016 :  03:46:22  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AggressionOwl

On the wiki, it says that there is a heresy of Oghma located in Sembia, which has broken away from the orthodoxy,

You are taking a running jump from wikis of all things.
Even it says that at least 2 factions agree on the matter.
quote:
by, among other things, declaring it's own Patriarch.

Declaring a Patriarch at all, (rather than waiting for the boss to change their diaper personally).
quote:
Later, this heretical faction moved from Sembia to Cormyr. When did this happen, and what city are they based in?

It refers to 4e source. Those are... uhhh... not always strongly connected to the pre-existing lore.

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

There was a chosen of Oghma in Selgaunt, in Erevis Cale books, he didn't seem particularly heretical.

...and then there are fans.
This fact alone could be enough of an excuse for someone like Darmos Lauthyr of Tymora in Arabel to start cheering for local church's importance.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2020 :  06:01:00  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader TBeholder,

Great points. Funny how there seems to be this........inconsistency now, eh? haha

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2020 :  06:10:47  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte AggressionOwl,

I would honestly think, since they put the information in the FRCG about that "namer", that it would be around 1476 DR, and the relocation was definitely to Suzail, as per Backdrop: Suzail, from Dungeon #198. It is specifically stated that the Oghmanyte Church moved to Suzail due to the Silent Room Library being there. It said the move occurred a few years before 1479 DR.

I was looking up some interesting stuff on Oghma, this popped up online, and then a search here at the Keep turned up this scroll, and I had to go down the rabbit hole!

I hope that helps! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000