Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Do you want a 5e FRGC
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13401 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2016 :  03:25:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brimstone... you just gave me an idea!

What if... the Candlekeep Compendium became something we did collectively for the DM's Guild? I think that removes all the reasons why we had for not pursuing a new one in years.

And then CK can keep all the proceeds for 'maintenance' (lord knows this place needs a facelift). What say ye, oh mods on high?

BTW, NOT talking about a 'Tour of the Realms' project here, but rather, the same old CKC's that were done in the past. Now, if we could figure out a way of combining the two - say, do one updated region per CKC, that might work.

And if they re-did the older issues and released them on the DM's guild as well ('pay what you want') that would be awesome. I'd love to go back into my one article and re-write certain bits (those names are gawd-awful, in hindsight).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Dec 2016 02:59:43
Go to Top of Page

Bravesteel
Seeker

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2016 :  23:44:26  Show Profile Send Bravesteel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if the CKC was revived for the DM'S Guild and then, separately, there was a series for going into detail about regions, something along the lines of Candlekeep Compendium Presents: Cormyr. I don't feel like burying an extensive region-by-region project in the CKC is a good idea.

I loved to read and to write, but then something happened. As I made my way through school, I kept getting handed books to read that didn't excite me and didn't even remotely connect to the realities of my life.- R. A. Salvatore

Edited by - Bravesteel on 11 Dec 2016 23:46:28
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2016 :  23:45:53  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage  Send Adhriva an AOL message  Send Adhriva a Yahoo! Message Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'd still have to find and get permission from all the attributing authors of those articles.

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Go to Top of Page

Bravesteel
Seeker

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2016 :  23:48:42  Show Profile Send Bravesteel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adhriva

You'd still have to find and get permission from all the attributing authors of those articles.

Only if we wanted to put the old CKC up. I think it would be smart to simply revamp it from the ground floor and any authors that want to refresh their old CKC articles for the new version could do so.

I loved to read and to write, but then something happened. As I made my way through school, I kept getting handed books to read that didn't excite me and didn't even remotely connect to the realities of my life.- R. A. Salvatore

Go to Top of Page

EltonRobb
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  00:37:26  Show Profile Send EltonRobb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bravesteel

quote:
Originally posted by Adhriva

Only if we wanted to put the old CKC up. I think it would be smart to simply revamp it from the ground floor and any authors that want to refresh their old CKC articles for the new version could do so.

This could work.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3053 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  03:06:26  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm always up for more and more FR Lore. I've been very pleased with WotC using FR as the core setting making sure to have loto of familiart things which leads in to the upcoming movie better (like with characters for Marvel movies)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13401 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  03:11:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I really like this - get the CKC running again. Maybe produce a 'best of' volume first, to test the waters, which would really be us just taking whatever articles we can find the authors for and maybe slapping a fresh coat of paint on them.

Maybe have 2-3 returning 'columns', that we could start in this one - "Current Clack", "Eyes on..." , etc, that would be brand new.

quote:
Originally posted by Bravesteel

What if the CKC was revived for the DM'S Guild and then, separately, there was a series for going into detail about regions, something along the lines of Candlekeep Compendium Presents: Cormyr. I don't feel like burying an extensive region-by-region project in the CKC is a good idea.
As I said above, I would prefer the gazeteer-style treatment of The Realms (in lieu of an actual FRCG) to be done by WotC themselves, or at least, more fully backed by them than the DM's Guild, and that could possibly be achieved through TEGG, if they were willing. Their resources may already be stretched a bit thin, though. I don't want such a thing being done here, as 'fan work', because the whole point would be lost (an OFFICIAL update/CG of FR for 5e).

And, of course, we could feature short stories (in a CKC) as well, by some of our known authors, but that would have to be a separate 'deal', because they may not want to provide material that would only benefit the operation of Candlekeep. So long as each volume has its share of 'crunchy bits', it might be a way of slipping that stuff into the DM's Guild.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Dec 2016 03:15:59
Go to Top of Page

Bravesteel
Seeker

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  04:04:33  Show Profile Send Bravesteel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkustayAs I said above, I would prefer the gazeteer-style treatment of The Realms (in lieu of an actual FRCG) to be done by WotC themselves, or at least, more fully backed by them than the DM's Guild, and that could possibly be achieved through TEGG, if they were willing. Their resources may already be stretched a bit thin, though. I don't want such a thing being done here, as 'fan work', because the whole point would be lost (an OFFICIAL update/CG of FR for 5e).

I suppose I understand where you are coming from, unfortunately the only "Official" update would have to come from WotC which puts us all right back to where we were when this thread went slightly off-topic. I feel like an "official" update would pale in comparison to a well organized fan-update to the Realms. Just my opinion.

Edit: I, of course, understand that TEGG doing something would be as close to official as possible, but why leave it there? Since the original grey box first came out the Realms has belonged to all of us (in spirit if not IP rights).

Edited by - Bravesteel on 12 Dec 2016 04:07:27
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2016 :  09:02:27  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted No. I'm happy with the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and don't see a need for a Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. Of course, guides for other regions would be welcome.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3291 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2016 :  15:29:59  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted yes but I'm well aware of the fact that getting one for the whole setting just isn't profitable for them right now. WotC's release schedule is very specific and tailored to their Adventure Paths. Storm King's Thunder, Prince of the Apocalypse, Out of the Abyss, etc. ALL are adventures for players that are set in the Realms that all have regional information and that's intentional because they WANT you to use their books, their rules, their stuff and not just take a regional thing (devoid of edition-based rules) and switch to Pathfinder or RIFTS or even an earlier version like 4e, 3e, or a TSR version.

4E Realms = Great Taste, Less Filling.

"If WotC were to put out a box of free money, people would still complain how it was folded."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5246 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2016 :  16:16:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I voted yes but I'm well aware of the fact that getting one for the whole setting just isn't profitable for them right now. WotC's release schedule is very specific and tailored to their Adventure Paths. Storm King's Thunder, Prince of the Apocalypse, Out of the Abyss, etc. ALL are adventures for players that are set in the Realms that all have regional information and that's intentional because they WANT you to use their books, their rules, their stuff and not just take a regional thing (devoid of edition-based rules) and switch to Pathfinder or RIFTS or even an earlier version like 4e, 3e, or a TSR version.

That goodsir, is a very telling point. I even moreso understand why they're doing this as adventures that contain regional info, and I think that's their method moving forward, until they've done enough regions to consolidate data into a campaign guide later.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3291 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2016 :  19:13:44  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

That goodsir, is a very telling point. I even moreso understand why they're doing this as adventures that contain regional info, and I think that's their method moving forward, until they've done enough regions to consolidate data into a campaign guide later.

Well that would be a cool idea waay further down the road. Personally I think they're investing TOO much on one area (Sword Coast/Western Heartlands). I'd love to see some adventures in the Utter East, The Moonsea, the Sea of Fallen Stars (think sailor adventure path fighting sea monsters and the Abolethic Sovereignty), the Moonshae Isles, or even the Dalelands/Myth Drannor. None of these places have really been touched outside of a novel or 3.

4E Realms = Great Taste, Less Filling.

"If WotC were to put out a box of free money, people would still complain how it was folded."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000