Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Old friends, new stats
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2016 :  15:28:29  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is not a request, at this point, but just seeing if the interest is there.

I am not well versed in 5e rules and, while I could remedy this, I haven't played this edition and there's simply no substitute for experience. So. If I were to write a tale about a familiar character--Liriel, for example--set in current time and 5e rules, I would need someone to read the story and tweak her stats and spells.

If you're qualified, would you be interested?

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2016 :  16:02:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If i were qualified id be very interested. Unfortunately i know nothing about 5e, having abandoned it before it was made.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2016 :  16:10:36  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be very interested too, but--while I know 5e quite well--I have never run it. That said, I'd be enthusiastic to offer any help, were you to accept it.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2016 :  21:24:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy to help Elaine. As always.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2016 :  21:56:17  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Likewise would be happy to help. Plenty of player and DM experience with 5e. Also willing to help with art.

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2016 :  01:02:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've no experience at all with 5E... But I'm interested. Does that count for anything?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2016 :  19:01:04  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this idea and will help where I can. :)

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2016 :  19:23:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've run 5e, but I am far from being an 'expert', and as far as the art goes, all I could offer is a map... a very nice map.

I assume you've figured out that so long as you can squeeze some 'crunchy bits' in, we have a way of getting 'stories' out of the DM's Guild?

I'd LOVE to see a new Liriel story, BTW.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  15:07:09  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I've run 5e, but I am far from being an 'expert', and as far as the art goes, all I could offer is a map... a very nice map.

I assume you've figured out that so long as you can squeeze some 'crunchy bits' in, we have a way of getting 'stories' out of the DM's Guild?

Yep, I've figured this out.

I read Ed's new Mirt story, and the crunchy bits are very manageable--mostly lore based. But there would need to be a character stat update and stats for new spells and magical items, and it's always a good idea to get some feedback on such things.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  15:07:47  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've no experience at all with 5E... But I'm interested. Does that count for anything?

Yes, it does. Stories benefit from proofreading.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  15:10:55  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Thanks, George. What would be very helpful at this point would be to point me in the direction of your work in Impultur. This is were Liriel was last sighted, so it would be a logical place to start.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  15:12:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adhriva

Likewise would be happy to help. Plenty of player and DM experience with 5e. Also willing to help with art.

Thanks, Adhriva. Can you send me a PM with rates for a three-figure cover? (Liriel, Sharlarra, Thorn)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  15:14:15  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all who responded. Ideally, I'd like to have two people review the game mechanics and at least two read the fiction, and it looks as if that's what we have here. :)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  14:48:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

-- George Krashos

Thanks, George. What would be very helpful at this point would be to point me in the direction of your work in Impultur. This is were Liriel was last sighted, so it would be a logical place to start.

There is my Impiltur article from Dragon #346 (let me know if you can't access it and I'll send you a copy) and my Impiltur Timeline which is available for free download at the DMs Guild and here at the 'Keep. Oh, and lots of stuff in my noggin'. Let me know what details you need.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  15:41:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine,

I'm not as good as I was back in the day during 2e/3e, but I've played 5e as a wizard, so if you have any questions, I'm available.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  18:00:18  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got the PHB for 5e and most of the class updates including all the Unearthed Arcana for the various classes they've put up. Not sure how much my 5e knowledge would lend to the story though?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  18:54:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

Yep, I've figured this out.

I read Ed's new Mirt story, and the crunchy bits are very manageable--mostly lore based. But there would need to be a character stat update and stats for new spells and magical items, and it's always a good idea to get some feedback on such things.
And now I think someone needs to write-up the Wand of Crunchy Bits for 5e.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  13:22:06  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

There is my Impiltur article from Dragon #346 (let me know if you can't access it and I'll send you a copy) and my Impiltur Timeline which is available for free download at the DMs Guild and here at the 'Keep. Oh, and lots of stuff in my noggin'. Let me know what details you need.

-- George Krashos

Thanks, George. I'll look for the Dragon article and download the DMG timeline.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 14 Dec 2016 13:22:41
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  13:26:20  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

And now I think someone needs to write-up the Wand of Crunchy Bits for 5e.

That wand would be very helpful. Point it at a story, and it spits out stats and maps and polyhedron dice carved from semi-precious gemstones.

(...)

Okay, maybe not so much with the dice. Stats and maps would be sufficient. There is only so much one can reasonably expect from a magic item.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  15:07:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the things about statting out a character is to determine what level they'd be at this current point in Realms history. With it being 1484 DR we'd have to cover over a century of time in which Liriel, for example, has experienced. Was she affected by the Spellplague because she was an Arcane caster? If not, should it just be glossed over or is there a stronger reason? But setting that part aside, how many levels would she have increased from the last time we saw her (1370's DR?) until now? From reading an www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/baenre2" target="_blank">article on WotC she was statted as a Fighte 1/ Cleric 3/ Wizard 11. Is she roughly still there or did she advance a bit?

Personally I'd put her at Fighter 2/ Cleric 3/ Wizard 12, making her level 17. Her stats can remain largely the same since you can only get a maximum of 20 in any Stat (magical items not withstanding). Since she's a multiclassed spellcaster she would have a number of spell slots equivalent to a 15th level character (which has it's own chart) that she could then plug in any number of Wizard or Cleric spells as she can ready. She would have 3 Ability Score Improvements or 3 feats too. I mean I could do a full write up if you want with any combination of stats or levels if you'd like ?

Edited by - Diffan on 14 Dec 2016 15:13:38
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2016 :  21:11:00  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woah new Liriel story?? I'm so excited for this!

Do we also get to see Shakti?

Edited by - farinal on 24 Dec 2016 21:12:27
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  01:05:56  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by farinal

Woah new Liriel story?? I'm so excited for this!

Do we also get to see Shakti?

Probably not. Liriel hasn't been to Menzoberranzan in over 100 years, and I don't think Shakti has left it during that time.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  09:42:49  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea very much!!! I'm willing to help

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2017 :  02:55:49  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any news?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000