Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2016 :  00:11:37  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello once again, it has been too long my friends. Anyway, I had a question. Does anyone know where I can find information updated to 5e for the Kingdom of Cormyr? Royalty,Nobility and such? I am doing my research for a new game,and was wondering if I could find any information at all. I read the SCAG and found very limited information, but it is not emough

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2016 :  00:45:58  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think one of Erin Evans' novels Fire in the Blood?) has a lot of the story revolving around them.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2016 :  00:54:48  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fire in the Blood.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2016 :  01:35:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might just be simpler to use 1e/2e/3e lore for stuff you can't find for 5e.

Not sure why so many people are concerned with running a 'canon' game (and even if you are, just make it late 3e, like 1378 or something). You can still use the 5e rules and adventures in the 'classic' setting.

If you really think about it, the 'canon' setting is only useful to the novels, since we have FAR MORE info about the setting pre-Spellplague. If I were to run another FR game, I would set it late 3e - maybe have it run right into the Spellplague - now THAT would be a very cool campaign.

Why run a game during a time period when there's so little information to help run it? It makes no sense to me. Why just toss-out almost 30 years of published Realmslore? Just use whatever easiest - its just a game, after all.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Dec 2016 01:37:52
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2016 :  02:12:43  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's more like I actually want to try what the new Realms is supposed to look like? Than ignoring the 3.x edition stuff

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2016 :  02:44:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally GET that. its just that, if there isn't that much there, you might be better-off cherry-picking the older lore to 'fill in the gaps'.

Most of us here 'get' wanting to stick to canon. Its just hard to come by these days. From what I understand, thats easier to do in 5e, than it was in 4e, or even 3e for that matter (even the maps got 'reset' to the earlier 'flavor'.)

Cheers.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Dec 2016 02:46:26
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2016 :  17:20:21  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the 4e campaign guide.... would be the most up to date anything of cormyr.

other books.

the most recent elminster books outside the alst one which was in Waterdeep.

and possible the brimestone angel book mentioned above.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  06:38:04  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spellstorm is set in 5E Cormyr. Some useful lore in it...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  17:27:53  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also check out The Elminster books from 4E. El Must Die, Bury El Deep, El Enraged. ALOT of useful Cormyrlore...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2017 :  01:03:27  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In January 2012, there was a pile of lore we put out on Cormyr in the online Dragon and Dungeon magazines. That lore will carry you up until Erin's novel, Fire in the Blood, which absolutely changes a few things.

The thread over here ("January is Cormyr month at D&D Insider") describes a lot of the material in the articles, as well as containing links to the DM's Guild pages where you can purchase (if you want) PDFs of the two magazines.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000