Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Doubloon - the netherese enclave that was stolen
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2016 :  00:10:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I'm looking to use this flying enclave of the Netherese along with some plans I have for Zulkir Mythrell'aa (yeah, I know her named got changed to Mythrellan... I don't like that name... and yeah, she's supposedly dead sometime right before the spellplague happened). Hint, I'm also noting that Netheril had ventured into the Skyward Realms and that there are some people in the realms who are heavily interested in illusion magic and travelers from other worlds.

I'm wondering if there has ever been any lore on Doubloon beyond the below?

From Netheril: Empire of Magic
Doubloon
Originally a ground-based bandit hideout, the city of Doubloon was transplanted onto a flying citadel by the archwizard Tempera of Fenwick in 2214. Tempera was impressed with the bandits’ ability to counterfeit gold coins from the various Netherese cities, and she strived to create quasimagical devices to aid the bandits in their counterfeiting operations. Of course, this made the enclave of Doubloon less than popular with the other cities.

By the end of the Golden Age, Doubloon was a rogue city that floated above the surface of the Netheril empire, dodging one searching city after another. Ioulaum sent scouts out to track down the city and bring Tempera to him, but the search parties were never successful in their task.

The Age of Discovery (2654-3162) (or -1205 DR to -697 DR): Doubloon lured some of the best jewelers to its streets, promising them higher profits and better working conditions than they would find in other cities. Soon, some of the finest quality gems found their way to the city streets. From there, they were sold to other jewelers, craftsmen, and wealthy wizards.

The Shadowed Age (3163-3519) (or -696 DR to -340 DR): As the counterfeiting and gem operations of Doubloon grew, so did the interest in bring Tempera to justice. Karsus nearly trapped the city in 3417, but Doubloon simply disappeared as the two cities closed with
one another. It was widely believed that Tempera had discovered a method for rendering the entire city invisible, although many more believed that Karsus banished Doubloon and its inhabitants to some fiendish demiplane that Shadow had discovered. The truth remained unknown even after the fall of Netheril.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2016 :  01:08:55  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So even after the fail of shade there is too rogue Netherese Enclaves, Selunna (opal) and Doubloon.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2016 :  04:03:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That name REALLY needs to be changed - a city of counterfeits going by the name of a SPANISH coin... *UGH*

I would chalk that one up to 'bad translation on Elminster's part', and say that the city was actually called **********, or 'Golden Coin' in ancient Netherese.

Insert any name you want there that sounds Realmsian... just not Doubloon.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2016 :  07:07:36  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or do what GK and Eric did for Lost Empires and have Doubloon be the original name in Netherese (i have meaning coin hold, doub is hold, loon is coin).

The Thorass/Common word could be anything you like which is derived from either how the netherese language was interpreted or how Doubloon appeared in the Loross script (which would give it a slightly draconic sound)

Thats just what im doing for my Netherese rewrite. Plus i like the idea of Netherese traders handing over a bag of loons

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2016 :  13:50:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

That name REALLY needs to be changed - a city of counterfeits going by the name of a SPANISH coin... *UGH*

I would chalk that one up to 'bad translation on Elminster's part', and say that the city was actually called **********, or 'Golden Coin' in ancient Netherese.

Insert any name you want there that sounds Realmsian... just not Doubloon.

Actually I plan on renaming it Luneira... as a bit of an homage to Leira, Leira's ties to the moon, who is currently inhabiting it, and where its been found by Mythrell'aa.

I do find it funny now that someone mentions it that there's also a netherese enclave dedicated to Selune named Selunarra.... it would be very fitting if that enclave were actually summoned back during the moments prior to the spellplague, only to be sent to Abeir.... maybe it wasn't Thultanthar that they were supposed to fight, but rather some other group of Netherese serving Shar.... after all, we never knew exactly what happened with Karsus' body. Not sure if I'll use it, but worth thinking on.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000