Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 "Mouslings" in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2018 :  18:27:27  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since this thread has come around again, just a quick note that in Dutch (of which Afrikaans is a dialect), "ui" is pronounced "ow." So "muis" is pronounced the same was as the English "mouse." It's just spelled differently.

Of course, you can always change pronunciation based on how it looks, if you like. English is notorious for that. :)

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7593 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2018 :  21:11:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh... well, as long as I'm coming back to names... instead of mouslings or muislings… miceling? Another could be Gerbling (it actually sounds great), until you say it aloud and realize it sounds like the weird stories we've all heard of someone going into the ER with a gerbil in the hind end. But gerbils are also known as Jirds (Jirdlings?) and a higher term for this type of rodent is Meriones (Merionoids?) and Muridae (Mueridanes?.... hmmm, kind of liking that too... I may stick with it).

Oh, and I don't know why I can't shake thinking about this... but I've now got a picture of these little critters aboard various mounts for game purposes AND heraldic purposes. These came to mind as unusual images

noble fantastical versions (note some of the below are tiny themselves, but I'm going with the tiny can work on tiny if its tiny enough rule... or more succinctly a 1 foot creature can ride a creature that may be 2 foot).

Mueridane mounted on a al-miraj (unicorn horned rabbit) with lance and horn leveled and al-miraj's ears flapping straight back in a charge... picturing these as the al-miraj with the old abilities to basically dimension door short distances.

Mueridane mounted on a tressym (winged cat) with lance aimed downwards and cats paws grappling a snake (lance point entering snake's mouth)... yeah, technically tressym are also tiny, but I'm thinking there may be some winged cats that are bigger, but not leopard/cheetah/lion sized (like a bob cat, fishing cat, ocelot (aka dwarf leopard), caracal, african golden cat, Pampas cat)

Mueridane mounted on a couatl (multiple saddles, since a couatle is size medium... maybe three separate Mueridane all with bows)

Mueridane mounted on a cockatrice with red/yellow/orange/black plumage (note even though many of us think of cockatrice as evil, they are just unaligned)- also, perhaps the Mueridane petrify their fellow mice on purpose so that they don't bleed out, etc... and can be brought somewhere else to be healed safely.

Mueridane mounted on a faerie dragon or pseudodragon.

evil fantastical versions
Mueridane mounted on a flying snake or stirge
Mueridane mounted on a small rather than tiny version of velociraptor

other mundane versions
Mueridane mounted on a dachschund, rabbit, raccoon, porcupine, jackal, small fox, honey badger, mongoose, box turtle or a snapping turtle with leather barding on the animal
just discovered pangolins or "armored anteaters" that can also curl into a ball like a rolly polly… that's interesting.

also the various birds mentioned in previous posts like parrots, smaller cranes, birds of prey, peacocks/turkeys, etc...

Also, more fantastical, but not "special" creatures might be giant centipedes, giant fire beetles, and giant rats

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Bonneville Mote
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2018 :  14:34:45  Show Profile Send Bonneville Mote a Private Message  Reply with Quote
reminds me of two things.. the Killmoulis from Fiend Folio, but more these folks from the cartoon The Littles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HAn4fByVb8
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31636 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2018 :  22:00:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bonneville Mote

reminds me of two things.. the Killmoulis from Fiend Folio, but more these folks from the cartoon The Littles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HAn4fByVb8

Ye gods -- I loved that cartoon, back in the day!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2219 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2018 :  05:28:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there is also the ratfolk of pathfinder
https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Ratfolk

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7593 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2018 :  17:05:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

there is also the ratfolk of pathfinder
https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Ratfolk

Yeah, I'm having ratfolk (nezumi is the name from the 3e oriental adventures), but that's medium sized creatures and simply another redressed character. These creatures are DECIDEDLY small (i.e. you can hold one in your palm and they make some fairies seem big). I'm basically picturing the outlying farmland of one of my tharchs in Katashaka literally littered with these things like 1000 per human. I'm picturing them using a dog to pull a wagon filled with let's say kiwi in a pumpkin shell, and they pull up next to a cheap wagon that humans have made of rope, leather, and bones. The human picks up the pumpkin shell, dumps it into the human wagon, and puts it back on the makeshift mouse wagon. He then picks up the next mouse wagon's pumpkin shell. Thus the "giant" human is simply standing by his wagon while all these mice are doing what would be the majority of the work for the humans, but since the humans provide them protection from other creatures that would see them as a meal, they love the arrangement.

Over in another field a human is mounting whole pumpkins or gourds onto similar wagon frames, and the mouse folk are bringing them somewhere to clean them out to feed or house themselves.

Basically, I can't recall anywhere where we've seen something like this on a broad scale. You might see small creatures, but even those are the size of small humans and they can kind of defend themselves against medium or even large predators. But these mice people would be about the size of say a Barbie Doll. So, not the size of star wars/GI Joe figures... so they would still be big enough to somewhat interact with the larger world. This is bigger than what we see in mouseguard mind you. I think I just hit on a good size to present for comparison, and this might help me picture what they COULD ride. If they ride rabbits <or al-miraj> for instance, they need to be BIG rabbits (and by big, I mean about maybe 2 feet long and a foot high). For an in-game comparison, they'd probably be about the size of a little girl's dolly.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7593 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2018 :  11:59:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, been thinking more and more on that size... wow, I really can't picture a Barbie doll sized creature riding the things I'm picturing. I'm going to have to go even smaller. Instead of 9 to 15 inches, more like 4 to 6 inches.... so yeah, star wars figurine size. Guess I'll have to write them up more of as a swarm, but with some who actually learn something like a thief's sneak attack bonus for hitting critical body parts. I'm picturing them unable to learn wizardry due to the time required, but maybe they can become bards, druids, clerics, paladins, rangers, and even sorcerers and warlocks (maybe serving a fey patron?) etc.. Unlike that pictured in mouseguard, maybe they have to use two handed weapons just to get them heavy enough to do any damage against creatures larger than themselves? Thinking pole weapons would be particular favorites, but mainly simple spears with sharpened points burned in a fire, or maybe rock weapons. Maybe since they are so small, like an ant maybe they can lift things much larger than they would for their size, so maybe the weapons they wield are oversized equivalents like what we see in a lot of Japanime, etc... For instance, maybe they have a Warhammer made from a rock, and the rock is the equivalent size of their whole chest.

Other than animal friendship and speak with animals, are there any other magical abilities which might seem to make sense for these small mice to have? I'm kind of thinking having them have the druidcraft cantrip might be interesting. Its ability to predict weather for 24 hours could prove useful for them being prepared. Since my main use of them is as farmers helping the humans the ability to "instantly make a flower blossom, a seed pod open, or a leaf bud bloom" would be great for them putting out seeds and instantly get them germinating, and then get them flowering sooner. Also the ability to "create an instantaneous, harmless sensory effect, such as falling leaves, a puff of wind, the sound of a small animal, or the faint odor of skunk" might be useful for scaring away threatening beasts OR for hiding their own scent, etc... Also, the ability to "instantly light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire" for a creature of their size might be a way to give them a means of defending themselves by setting a section of field ablaze and then snuffing it.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7593 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2018 :  16:31:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
btw, other than insect swarm, is there any spell which might command a swarm of bees. Just thinking it might be interesting if they can coerce pollination of flowers by summoning bees. Not commanding them mind you. It might be interesting though if these fellows kind of treat bees like we might a friendly dog.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7593 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2018 :  15:25:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, another thing that might make them more interesting. I'm having the humans of the tharch that moves to Katashaka having had a couple generations first living in the Lopango Jungles just south of Maztica and having picked up some knowledge of pluma and hishna. Especially with plumacraft involving the manipulation of the small pieces of feathers together, it might make sense that creatures with extremely small hands might be very capable with this kind of work, so perhaps the humans introduced them to it, and some of them took to it quite well. With the hishna crafting, maybe they can also make their extremely small weapons much more damaging (as in always doing at least 1 pt of damage). Picturing using snake's teeth spears, etc.... also, perhaps snake skin armor, etc...

Secondarily, I'm thinking that the secrets of elven leafweave armor may be an alchemical secret that might be "hacked" and thus these beings might wear leafweave armor.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 29 Nov 2018 15:49:29
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000