Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fitting Carnosaurs into the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EltonRobb
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  02:23:49  Show Profile Send EltonRobb a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Usually I post on the Running the Realms board, but I think it fits here. I just recently purchased Animal Races: Dawn of the Carnosaur (3rd party); for Pathfinder and I'd like to use it in my Realms game.

I know Saurials and Lacerials exist in the realms: one at the Lost Vale and the other at a plateau in the Jungles of Chult (I think). I would like to add another city state ruled by Saurials that come from Carnosaurs. I was thinking of a group that split off from the Saurials in the Lost Vale (and broke from Moander) and found an island in the Vilhon Reach to build their own civilization. Is there an Island that can accommodate a Saurial population that is not hornheads, flyers, finbacks, or the others? But they are descended from Allosaurs and dromaeosaurids. I was thinking of Wavecrest Island.

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  04:38:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wavecrest is probably your best bet, of the three, because it doesn't have much lore attached (unlike the other two). In fact, you could easilly weave your lore into the scant existing lore (the druids of Ilghôn forbid people from going to Wavecrest).

The other group of saurials - called lacerials - are in the jungles of Malatra (Kara-Tur), not Chult (although I could easily see a Chultan group as well).

I had theorized that the saurials are actually the original 'sauroid' creator race, and at one point it had varied species. The sarrukh eventually rose to prominence and either killed-off or drove the rest into exile (hence, that odd group in Malatra). Thus, the 'Saurial Homeworld' was actually Abeir all along. Thats all homebrew, though.

EDIT:
Two other good choices in the Sea of Fallen Stars would be either The Lone Rock in the mouth of the Dragonreach, or the Wayrock, south of Lyrabar (Impiltur) about a 100 miles or so. The Lone rock is tiny, but should be able to fit a single settlement. The way Rock is a full island, and could support a much larger group (along with food animals). Neither has been 'heard from' since 2e, so your good.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Nov 2016 04:45:05
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  14:07:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually doing what you're talking about in something I'm writing for Katashaka. In the northern central area, I'm having a mountainous/hilly area that surrounds a jungle that's a land for the nyamma-numo, which are dinosaurs and other giant primordial creatures, and in there I'm sticking versions of saurials who aren't so nice. I'm also sticking some loxo and giff nearby in one civilization formed of a spelljammer crash (related to the loxo that landed in the shaar). I'm also creating a race I'm calling Noceri, or rhinocerous men/rhinotaurs that I'm sticking out in the Savannah area.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

EltonRobb
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  14:28:45  Show Profile Send EltonRobb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Wavecrest is probably your best bet, of the three, because it doesn't have much lore attached (unlike the other two). In fact, you could easilly weave your lore into the scant existing lore (the druids of Ilghôn forbid people from going to Wavecrest).

The other group of saurials - called lacerials - are in the jungles of Malatra (Kara-Tur), not Chult (although I could easily see a Chultan group as well).

I had theorized that the saurials are actually the original 'sauroid' creator race, and at one point it had varied species. The sarrukh eventually rose to prominence and either killed-off or drove the rest into exile (hence, that odd group in Malatra). Thus, the 'Saurial Homeworld' was actually Abeir all along. Thats all homebrew, though.

EDIT:
Two other good choices in the Sea of Fallen Stars would be either The Lone Rock in the mouth of the Dragonreach, or the Wayrock, south of Lyrabar (Impiltur) about a 100 miles or so. The Lone rock is tiny, but should be able to fit a single settlement. The way Rock is a full island, and could support a much larger group (along with food animals). Neither has been 'heard from' since 2e, so your good.

One other possibility. Sembia.

GAME INFORMATION: The details of Sembia, its armed forces, cities, and personalities are left for DM development for their own campaigns, as noted in the the DM's Guide to the Realms.
-------------------------------------------------

Yeah, Sembia was filled out later by Jeff Grub (Sembia peace walls notwithstanding!), but since I'm using the 1e set, I can fill out Sembia my way.

Edited by - EltonRobb on 18 Nov 2016 14:29:10
Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  17:19:57  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I'm also creating a race I'm calling Noceri, or rhinocerous men/rhinotaurs that I'm sticking out in the Savannah area.

There was a "rhinaur" named M'Saba in the book The Star of Cursrah, the only time I've ever seen mention of such a creature. This book was set about 7,500 years in the past, so they must've gone extinct a long time ago, though I like the idea of a small group of them surviving in your Lost World area.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  17:24:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I thought you specifically wanted an island. The most logical choice, IMO, would be the island of Lurath (PotFS, pg.62) - an island of... dinosaurs! (I personally think thats a gate to its Abeir counterpart). Thus, you have them 'on' Toril, but not really.

But if you want Sembia, then the Cold Field region is perfect. Its an unsettled, unclaimed region between three dales, and sits against the Forest (Cormanthor).

Are you looking for any area in particular? Just 'Eastern Heartlands'? (because The High Moor would make another interesting choice, especially with the Serpent Kingdom - Serpentes - right next door).

quote:

I'm also creating a race I'm calling Noceri, or rhinocerous men/rhinotaurs that I'm sticking out in the Savannah area.
I'm fairly certain I've seen something like that in a 3e or PF splat book. If you google 'Rhinoman' you can LOTS of great pics, like THIS ONE.

Rhinotaurs are a bit rougher - maybe you could have both? I recall tauric Minotaurs (you'd think that was redundant) somewhere as well (and not just that upgraded Yugioh! monster) - maybe (old) Warhammer? If you could find stats for that you could just use them (the stats) as is, I would think (a horns a horn, after all).

Maybe have them be capable of two forms, like a lycanthrope? When they need to run fast they can switch to the tauric option?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Nov 2016 17:46:03
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  19:06:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's canon that there are dinosaurs in the Stonelands.

Here's a quote from 2006, I believe.

quote:
Hi again, fellow scribes. Ed felt he’d been neglecting Wooly Rupert, and so has tackled Wooly’s query: “A discussion in another thread has mentioned something from one of the Elminster's Ecologies books: the existence of dinosaurs in the Stonelands. To some of us, this seems to be an odd place to drop dinosaurs... And, now that I think about it, I'm not recalling any other references to dinosaurs being there. So, in your Realms, are there dinosaurs in the Stonelands? And either way, is there anything you could add about their official presence there?”
Ed replies:

The Sage is quite right to remind us of my Candle04Page38 reply: there once were many dinosaurs in the Realms, but the dragons flourished by dining on almost all of them, leaving only handfuls behind (usually in jungles or other “good cover from flying wyrms” terrain).
The Stonelands are just such terrain, with their knife-edged ridges, deep ravines, caverns and overhangs, and exposed horns and faces of stone. So, yes, there are a few dinosaurs lurking deep in the Stonelands. Almost all are ostrich-sized or smaller velociraptors (bird-like, darting and hopping predators, of the sort featured so prominently in JURASSIC PARK: see fleshraker and swindlesplitter under “Dinosaur” in the MM3), though there are a few deinonychus (MM). They hibernate in deep, “warmrock” rifts (near earth nodes and volcanic flows) and hunt in cover, never leaving the Stonelands or racing along heights of land (for fear of being devoured by dragons; the Zhent foulwings, dark horrors, and other aerial steeds remind the dim-witted dinosaurs of the “death from above” that they now instinctively fear).

So saith Ed, who will recall Torm trying to interest Jhessail in a skewer of dinosaur steaks that she said VERY rude things about. Even Rathan, with the aid of much wine, downed them only with difficulty, finding them “tough, and with a curious dead-mushrooms taste.”
love to all,
THO

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  19:22:50  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or this very cool sculpture. Needs a bigger horn, methinks.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

EltonRobb
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  22:17:12  Show Profile Send EltonRobb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's canon that there are dinosaurs in the Stonelands.

Here's a quote from 2006, I believe.

Where is the Stonelands again?
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  22:45:28  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just north of Cormyr.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  22:52:00  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yup

and only a stone's throw away from the lost vale so it works perfectly. :)

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2016 :  03:25:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Idea - if you can find a copy of the 4e Cormyr map, the Orlath Woods would be a perfect place (just north of the Stonelands, on the desert's edge - top center of map).

Go to Top of Page

EltonRobb
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2016 :  03:49:15  Show Profile Send EltonRobb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Great Idea - if you can find a copy of the 4e Cormyr map, the Orlath Woods would be a perfect place (just north of the Stonelands, on the desert's edge - top center of map).

Dang, that map is good. Ahem . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2016 :  06:25:02  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shades of eternity

yup

and only a stone's throw away from the lost vale so it works perfectly. :)

There is no connection between the Saurials in the Lost Vale and those from the rest of the Realms - though you might take Markustay's long term "home world theory." The Lost Vale is just that, a place that used to be known and through history got lost. It was not created by the Saurials, merely occupied by them later.

If you have not read the Finder's Stone books - that is where to start for information about this.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2016 :  19:43:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VikingLegion

quote:

There was a "rhinaur" named M'Saba in the book The Star of Cursrah, the only time I've ever seen mention of such a creature. This book was set about 7,500 years in the past, so they must've gone extinct a long time ago, though I like the idea of a small group of them surviving in your Lost World area.

Interesting and thank you. I'm searching on that particular Rhinaur and I'm getting that they were like a centaur, in that upper half is human'ish and bottom half is a four legged rhino body. I may stick this race in as well and have this area be their source. For the Noceri, I was thinking more of a "minotaur" type look as in a rhino head, humanoid body with tough leather skin, three toed rhino feet, and a three fingered hand with thick fingers with a huge "fingernail" on the end.

I had noted that Star of Cursrah had mentioned "Khises, the half man half hippo hero" previously and always assumed that meant a giff. Now I wonder if it wasn't a tauric hippo people.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2016 :  19:59:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Or this very cool sculpture. Needs a bigger horn, methinks.

That is much more like I'm picturing, though with a longer snout, and less, but larger fingers. I'm picturing them as not very ambidextrous, but very capable of controlling slaves who DO have nimble fingers and can do intricate work for them.

Oh, and Markustay, yes, the minotaur that is more tauric was called a "manotaur".... and I actually have another area I'm working that has minotaurs, ibixians (goat folk), and yak folk... was considering putting manotaurs, and terrestrial Bariaur into the mix, but thought I might be overloading it. Their area is hills and mountains with light woods. This culture is one with a heavy "cult/ritual" influence. and possibly ties to demons of similar body builds (armanites, bulezau, Goristro, and demon lords like Baphomet and Orcus)

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Green Giant
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2016 :  16:57:37  Show Profile Send Green Giant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the rhek from Book of Exalted Deeds.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2016 :  14:03:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Green Giant

Perhaps the rhek from Book of Exalted Deeds.

I just can't get past the human face there with horns mounted on the head. I'm literally looking for an upright rhino, not a horny fat human.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2016 :  18:33:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see you've met my ex. {we really do need a 'rimshot' smiley}

quote:

Oh, and Markustay, yes, the minotaur that is more tauric was called a "manotaur".... and I actually have another area I'm working that has minotaurs, ibixians (goat folk), and yak folk... was considering putting manotaurs, and terrestrial Bariaur into the mix, but thought I might be overloading it. Their area is hills and mountains with light woods. This culture is one with a heavy "cult/ritual" influence. and possibly ties to demons of similar body builds (armanites, bulezau, Goristro, and demon lords like Baphomet and Orcus)
I have something like that going on around the Yehimals. Yakfolk on one side (Zakhara), minotaurs on the Faerûn (Utter East to Hordelands) side, and Goatfolk (ibixians, or Bargda in Mystara) in Kara-Tur. There is mention of a 'truly ancient' (pre-Imaskari) temple to 'Beast gods' in the Hordelands material near that area, and with the Yakfolk already in-place, I made the leap that there was some sort of beast-thang going on in the Yehimals in the DISTANT past (perhaps even pre-dragon era). Also add in the Gnolls that lived in the vicinity of Imaskar (which were driven-out by the Imaskari, IIRC).

That leap was the entire basis for me placing Rakshasa in primordial Zakhara. Then they brought in the Dgen (genies) as servants, who later revolted (and drove their Rakshasa masters undeground, in the Yehimals), and then the Dgen enslaved the indigenous halflings (and later humans), who were in-turn overthrown by their own servants. I have it where there have been at least a dozen 'eras' in Zakhara, and the history we have for it (in the Al-Qadim books) is only for this latest era (which fixes a small problem with a vingette in the GotR).

And later, dwarves when were driven out of nearby Ladinion - dug down to the Rakshasa caverns, which was why there was a mass exodus of them from the Yehimals some 10K+ years ago. It was a way of me linking together lots of separated, unrelated bit of lore.

That, and I really like Rakshasa. They also helps explain the constant 'cat theme' recurring in The Realms, and all the catfolk references in the East.

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Nov 2016 18:34:58
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2016 :  02:34:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I see you've met my ex. {we really do need a 'rimshot' smiley}

quote:

I have something like that going on around the Yehimals. Yakfolk on one side (Zakhara), minotaurs on the Faerûn (Utter East to Hordelands) side, and Goatfolk (ibixians, or Bargda in Mystara) in Kara-Tur. There is mention of a 'truly ancient' (pre-Imaskari) temple to 'Beast gods' in the Hordelands material near that area, and with the Yakfolk already in-place, I made the leap that there was some sort of beast-thang going on in the Yehimals in the DISTANT past (perhaps even pre-dragon era). Also add in the Gnolls that lived in the vicinity of Imaskar (which were driven-out by the Imaskari, IIRC).

That leap was the entire basis for me placing Rakshasa in primordial Zakhara. Then they brought in the Dgen (genies) as servants, who later revolted (and drove their Rakshasa masters undeground, in the Yehimals), and then the Dgen enslaved the indigenous halflings (and later humans), who were in-turn overthrown by their own servants. I have it where there have been at least a dozen 'eras' in Zakhara, and the history we have for it (in the Al-Qadim books) is only for this latest era (which fixes a small problem with a vingette in the GotR).

And later, dwarves when were driven out of nearby Ladinion - dug down to the Rakshasa caverns, which was why there was a mass exodus of them from the Yehimals some 10K+ years ago. It was a way of me linking together lots of separated, unrelated bit of lore.

That, and I really like Rakshasa. They also helps explain the constant 'cat theme' recurring in The Realms, and all the catfolk references in the East.

Yeah, the pridelands area I've been talking about in Northern Katashaka will basically be replacing humans as the normal humanoid with various cat folk (wemics, tabaxi, tauric cats that aren't based on lions, rakasta (tiger folk), a lion humanoid, lamia, rakshasa, and even a society which has Sphinxes ruling over some of these cat folk and which has tressym, winged great cats, griffins and griffin variations (i.e. what about a "griffin" with a parrot and tiger combination... toucan and panther...).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000