Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How was Cyric able to kill Bhaal?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Naron
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  21:27:18  Show Profile Send Naron a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi, I have a curiosity. I recently read some Faerun lore and I understand that the gods were cast on Toril by Ao and in this state they were vulnerable but still vastly more powerful than mortals.
I also understand that Cyric was wielding a weapon called Godsbane and that weapon was in fact an avatar of the god Mask.
But my question is: how was Cyric able to surprise Bhaal? I'm referring to this image:https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QgYxY94RfYk/VyczXsfYIII/AAAAAAAAI5w/7tc7lm8DViAH84MATAnlv8MpqHuGhSKQgCLcB/s1600/cyric%2Bbhaal.jpg.
Cyric is behind Bhaal's back but I would think that Bhaal being a god (even if diminished) would be able to feel the danger yet he was clearly surprised.
That's my little curiosity. Also, what happened to Bhaal's left arm?

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  22:51:35  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See that Sword Cyric is wielding? It's called Godsbane for a reason. It's the form the god Mask took during the Time of Troubles. So, a god pulled a sneak attack on a god, using a mortal as the middleman.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 25 Oct 2016 22:54:24
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  23:43:45  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bhaal was supposed to have lost it at the time too....something about his followers being slain by Bane or something

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  08:44:54  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Short Version: Bhaal came upon Cyric and a group of other mortals, attacked and defeated them with ease and left them dead vor dying. As he turned and walked away from the carnage, Mask healed the dying Cyric and gave him the strength to get back up and stab Bhaal. It's likely that Mask made him more stealthy too for those few steps coupled with Bhaal being careless due to knowing that there was no chance that any of the mortals still being able to act after what he had just done to them
Go to Top of Page

Naron
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  12:18:27  Show Profile Send Naron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting, thanks for clarification. I was surprised how was Cyric able to take Bhaal by surprise, because I have read that Bhaal, in his human avatar, was something like 32 Rogue/27 Fighter, well into epic levels of both classes. And Rogues do have a sixth sense regarding dangers and I thought Bhaal would be able to feel Cyric's presence even if he did not see or hear him. But he probably was careless, as you say.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  16:23:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think the avatars during the ToT were anywhere near their normal avatar strength, either. They were still more than mortal, but not what they normally were.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  19:51:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plus sfdragon has the right of it - not only were all the gods 'diminished' greatly in their psuedo-mortal forms, but Bhaal lost even what little power he may have still possessed when Bane had him kill his followers (it was good for a short-term 'boost', but then NOTHING after that).

And I don't know why, but just reading this thread title had my brain think, "Ol' Ball & Chain" - an old American expression usually used to refer to one's spouse/significant other.

And then I thought, wouldn't it be funny if for some reason Bane started to refer to Myrkul as 'Chain'?

Bane: "I'd love to go out with you, Leira, but I'm stuck with the Old Bhaal and Chain!"

I haven't had my coffee yet.....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Nov 2016 19:48:48
Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

164 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2016 :  10:08:58  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC he was around level 10 and had the ability to body-jump into any mortal he killed.
His stats are in one of the old avatar trilogy adventures, I think the last one. My players were level 6 when they killed him.

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2016 :  08:28:16  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bhaal was the lord of murder, the god of death, assassination, and sacrifice. To stay true to his portfolio, there was no way he could not let a murder go ahead, not even his own. So, in that moment, as Cyric came upon him, he accepted that to complete the cycle of bloodshed (as depicted on his holy symbol), the final murder must be the murderer's own. He died for his sins. He sacrificed himself, to himself. Because every murder empowers Bhaal...

(Okay, I made that up. BTW, that image looks like fan art, so I'm not sure how representative it is.)

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2016 :  09:35:10  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Plus sfdragon has the right of it - not only were all the gods 'diminished' greatly in their psuedo-mortal forms, but Bhaal lost even what little power he may have still possessed when Bane had him kill his followers (it was good for a short-term 'boost', but then NOTHING after that).

And I don't know why, but just reading this thread title had my brain think, "Ol' Ball & Chain" - an old American expression usually used to refer to one's spouse/significant other.

And then I thought, wouldn't it be funny if for some reason Bane started to refer to Myrkul as 'Chain'?

Bane: "I'd love to go out with you, Leira, but I'm stuck with the Old Bhaal and Chain!"

I haven't had my coffee yet.....

Get to Starbucks quickly
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000