Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Heraldry and Vexillology
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2016 :  07:12:33  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Good evening Lore Seekers,

I was hoping that some of you might be able to point me in the right direction of a current, exhaustive, compiled repository of coats of arms, flags, and other related items as identified in the subject line and here.

Much appreciation in advance!

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2016 :  07:32:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In relation to the Realms? Can't say anyone has ever done one, to my knowledge. The scattered sources give some heraldic information re coats of arms and some symbols/flags of realms/organisations, but I can't think where anyone has compiled them.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2016 :  07:37:34  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

I appreciate the swift reply. Thank you!

I'll put that on my list of possibly interesting projects to consider for the Library.

Best,

Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

In relation to the Realms? Can't say anyone has ever done one, to my knowledge. The scattered sources give some heraldic information re coats of arms and some symbols/flags of realms/organisations, but I can't think where anyone has compiled them.

-- George Krashos

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  02:23:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you look on DMs Guild you'll find where I made some free heraldic symbols for Waterdhavian Lords.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  03:12:41  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Sleyvas,

Greatly appreciated, thank you!

As a side note, I also had checked out your Complete Red Book of Spell Strategy: very impressive work. The breadth is of particular note to me. Do you ever collaborate with people to work on things in terms of how typical scientific works are submitted for a peer review process, in order to find more academically interesting exploration of a topic?

I think it would be particularly interesting to explore Thayan ritual magic in a much more pedagogical manner. To get into the meat and potatoes of it, but to find the point of intersection between lore and mechanical options for those interested enough to go down that path in a game.

Best regards,

Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

If you look on DMs Guild you'll find where I made some free heraldic symbols for Waterdhavian Lords.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  13:56:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Great Reader Sleyvas,

As a side note, I also had checked out your Complete Red Book of Spell Strategy: very impressive work. The breadth is of particular note to me. Do you ever collaborate with people to work on things in terms of how typical scientific works are submitted for a peer review process, in order to find more academically interesting exploration of a topic?

I think it would be particularly interesting to explore Thayan ritual magic in a much more pedagogical manner. To get into the meat and potatoes of it, but to find the point of intersection between lore and mechanical options for those interested enough to go down that path in a game.

Best regards,

Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring

quote:

Thank you! You just made my whole day! I am very much interested in sharing and building on ideas, because I find I can get "stuck" on a particular focus and then use it to death.

What I'm currently working on is a red wizard focus (but not Thayan focus) throughout the world, in particular in a collection of 4 or 5 small to medium towns south of Mulmaster and outside Vesperin (which I'm calling the tharch of Thaymul), Maztica (lower Lopango), Anchorome (Balduran Bay and Poscadar Basin), Northern Katashaka (which I'm terming the Eastern Pridelands and the colony of New Eltabbar), the Eastern Shaar where the underchasm/landrise used to be (which I'm calling Pelevari), and the area previously turned to nothing by the Maw of Entropy in Chessenta (which I'm calling the Red Mineral Forest of Shyr).

In this, I'm taking a look at what would happen if red wizards began to look at pluma and hishna magic on a purely "scientific" standpoint such that they can duplicate the methods of these artisan magics, but not necessarily the "heart" of them. What horrific twists might they put on them.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  01:16:08  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I dareday the Heralds of Faerūn have such a list. :)

A number of heraldry images are presented in Power of Faerūn (though mostly unattributed to any specific organisation) while the 2nd-edition campaign setting has some for a number of important locales.

We've got a number of these up on the wiki, with some identified and deciphered in terms of heraldic terminology, all thanks to our editor Moviesign. Some images were created by another editor, Thomaslove92, based closely on descriptions in setting lore. This will be the closest to such a repository.
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Symbols

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  03:26:01  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good evening Learned Scribe BadCatMan,

Thank you for the swift reply, and the information as well. It is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring

quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

Well, I dareday the Heralds of Faerūn have such a list. :)

A number of heraldry images are presented in Power of Faerūn (though mostly unattributed to any specific organisation) while the 2nd-edition campaign setting has some for a number of important locales.

We've got a number of these up on the wiki, with some identified and deciphered in terms of heraldic terminology, all thanks to our editor Moviesign. Some images were created by another editor, Thomaslove92, based closely on descriptions in setting lore. This will be the closest to such a repository.
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Symbols

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  03:34:53  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Sleyvas,

Thank you much for your swift reply again.

I would like to explore the possibility of focused articles and works that adhere to formats prescribed in peer-reviewed journal submissions for academic works, if that is of interest to you? I've found that the rigor and structure facilitate a consistent, appealing, and rigorous experience that benefits writer's as well as readers.

Of particular desire, is to focus on social science aspects, i.e. economics, cultural analysis, and government as it relates to functions of gaming mechanics such as Thayan summoning and ritual magics as had been mentioned and addressed.

If you are interested, please respond and we can set up a means of discussing it further, i.e. email, Google Hangouts.

Best,

Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Great Reader Sleyvas,

Best regards,

Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring

quote:

Thank you! You just made my whole day! I am very much interested in sharing and building on ideas, because I find I can get "stuck" on a particular focus and then use it to death.

What I'm currently working on is a red wizard focus (but not Thayan focus) throughout the world, in particular in a collection of 4 or 5 small to medium towns south of Mulmaster and outside Vesperin (which I'm calling the tharch of Thaymul), Maztica (lower Lopango), Anchorome (Balduran Bay and Poscadar Basin), Northern Katashaka (which I'm terming the Eastern Pridelands and the colony of New Eltabbar), the Eastern Shaar where the underchasm/landrise used to be (which I'm calling Pelevari), and the area previously turned to nothing by the Maw of Entropy in Chessenta (which I'm calling the Red Mineral Forest of Shyr).

In this, I'm taking a look at what would happen if red wizards began to look at pluma and hishna magic on a purely "scientific" standpoint such that they can duplicate the methods of these artisan magics, but not necessarily the "heart" of them. What horrific twists might they put on them.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  03:50:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, I once asked Ed about this, and he said one of the 'mandates' that came down from TSR is that anything that had some focus in another setting (minotaurs, psionics, etc) would NOT get much FR lore (they were trying their best to not 'mix flavors' and keep each setting unique). Because heraldry was a big thing in Greyhawk (at one time I was geeky enough to have memorized each flag and what country it was from), it got down-played in FR.

And thats why we never see any heraldry lore, beyond a few small bits thrown out by Ed over the years.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Oct 2016 08:40:11
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  05:05:56  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Explorer Markustay,

Good evening good sir. Thank you for letting me know about that. That is indeed interesting.

Do you have any insight into that policy being continued by WotC, as well as possibly other non-heraldry/non-vexillology limited fields of study by implementation of policy?

Best,

Robert McDonell
Higer Atlar
Spirit Soaring

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

IIRC, I once asked Ed about this, and he said one of the 'mandates' that came down from TSR is that anything that had some focus in another setting (minotaurs, psionics, etc) would NOT get much FR lore (they were trying their best to not 'mix flavors' and keep each setting unique). Because heraldry was a big thing in Greyhawk (at one time I was geeky enough to have memorized each flag an what country it was from), it got down-played in FR.

And thats why we never see any heraldry lore, beyond a few small bits thrown out by Ed over the years.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  08:45:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'd have to ask Ed that - I would not know, personally. I know a LOT has changed the past few years, and since they only have one setting afloat (just barely) at this point, I don't see how any of that even applies anymore.

And the reason why I had asked that question of Ed is because I still love how Greyhawk had all those flags for every country (and other 'political units'). I felt it breathed life into the setting. FR had other things going for it, but GH had that, and I'll always cherish it.

So I guess what I am saying is, I am looking forward to whatever you come up with.

Cheers

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2016 :  09:45:23  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004) - reply on how the Heralds work.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000